World Club Championship 2010

• The draw for this year's men's tournament is set for tomorrow, 23rd October, in Doha, Qatar. In case there are no preliminary changes announced, the World Club Championship will be held again in Doha in the period 14-21 December 2010. The known teams so far are:

EUROPE: Itas Diatec Trentino (Italy, IECL 2009-2010 winner), Dinamo Moscow (Russia, IECL 2009-2010 runner-up), Skra Belchatow (Poland, IECL 2009-2010 bronze medalist)

ASIA: Paykan (Iran, Asian club champion), Al-Arabi Doha (Qatar, host)

AFRICA: Al-Ahly (Egypt, African club champion)

SOUTH AMERICA: club champion to be decided later this year

NORTH AMERICA: representative to be decided later this year

Let's hope no new revolutionary formulas, e.g. the "Golden" one, are going to be introduced!

• Very interesting draw :lol:

• Trentino to open against European rivals Dynamo Moscow in Club World champs

Doha, Qatar, October 24, 2010 – Defending champions Trentino from Italy will begin their 2010 FIVB Men’s Club World Championship campaign against European Championship runners-up Dynamo Moscow from Russia while Africa Women’s champions Kenya Prisons face the Dominican Republic’s Mirador in the first game of the competition after the Drawing of Lots was completed in Doha, Qatar on Saturday evening.

Six of the top women’s teams and eight of the top men’s teams will battle it out for the title in Doha from December 14-21. FIVB 2nd Executive Vice-President Mr. Theofanis Tsiokris attended the ceremony along with dignitaries from the Qatar Volleyball Federation and the media.

The opening day will also see the men’s NORCECA team take on the South American champions, who will be decided from October 23-30, Asia Women’s champions Federbrau from Thailand take on South American Women’s champions Sollys Osasco of Brazil and home side Al-Arabi take on Africa Men’s champions Al-Ahli from Egypt. Men’s Asian champions Paykan from Iran begin their campaign on the second day against last year’s runners-up PGE SKRA Belchatow from Poland while European Women’s champions Bergamo take on the Dominican Republic’s Mirador and European Women’s Championship runners-up Fenerbahce of Turkey play Sollys Osasco

This is the second edition of the men's tournament following its successful revival last year after a 17-year hiatus. The women's tournament is returning this year for the first time since 1994 and men's and women's matches will also alternate throughout the competition for the first time in its history.

In both the men's and women's tournaments, teams from each pool will play each other in a round-robin format to determine the overall ranking and classification before the semifinals (1st in Pool 1 v 2nd in Pool 2 and 1st in Pool 1 v 2nd in Pool 2 etc.) and final (the winners of the two semifinals). Each tournament with comprise of 26 matches overall and a total prize pool of US$750,000 for the men and US$550,000 for the women.

Pool A (mens)
    PGE SKRA Belchatow (POL)
    Al-Ahli (EGY)
    Paykan (IRI)
    Al-Arabi (QAT)

Pool B (mens)
    Trentino (ITA)
    Dynamo Moscow (RUS)
    NORCECA team (TBC)
    South American champions (TBC)

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Draw for Host = bullshit

• Draw :

Pool A:
    Belchatow, Paykan, Al, Al

What an amazing pool :rolll:

The most important 3:
    POLAND-SZCZECIN-VOLLEYBALL

5th place - Prediction Game - World League 2011 :D

• Pretty sure it was Kazan and not Dinamo Moscow who payed last year.

• HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHA no way it's paul mitchell !!!!!

Thats really funny, wooooow i can't believe it.

As you know, in the norceca there's only one pro league, in puerto rico, but as in puerto rico there were no foreigners this season the league was really weak, and it is finished now and there is no competition.

So, in the USA they chose the champions from the USAV nationals, paul mitchell hahaha

• In the past they had Paul Lotman and theo brunner (now in Verona A1), Robert Tarr (now in brazil), tyler hildebrand ( from national team) and other top guys

• OMG! The NORCECA teams make me laugh!

Mirador is the female team they "choose", and is not the National Current champion, since I read is La Romana

http://www.elnacional.com.do/d…rona-Distrito-en-voleibol

• The team rosters for the World Club Championship were released today. The mysterious American team Paul Mitchell will be an interesting one to watch, they had tough luck with the draw, their players will probably use the chance to show off and maybe get a transfer somewhere. Three important names to mention: Riley Salmon is the star to watch, I am a bit suspicious about his current shape, he'd be somewhere in Europe otherwise, but we'll see in a month. Two good setters as well in this team - the experienced Christopher Seiffert and Tyler Hildebrand. For the rest we'll need some info from the guys following the NCAA closely, most of the guys seem like ex-NCAA players. One other name I know is Austen Rester, he played for our CSKA Sofia last year, he's more known for his beach volley career, indoors he didn't impress much even in our national championship, I think he's a bit far from the level in Doha.

Also, Drean Bolivar have a very nice squad! Too bad that they will face Dinamo for the second (expectedly) place rather than Al-Arabi, Al-Ahly or Paykan.

• Okay I'm lost, what is the NCAA? I thought it was college teams? but how can Riley Salmon be in college, he's like 33?

• The NCAA is college sports, including volleyball.

the paul mitchell team, is not a college, and thus not a team from the NCAA, it's tough to explain because there isn't also a pro league there.... there's a big tourney of clubs, and paul mitchell is always the winner... so they represent norceca, and they just took the best americans that hasn't found a pro club, such as salmon, seiffert, bittner hlidebrand etc... in the original team they had robert Tarr who plays in brazil, theo brunner and paul lotman that play verona , dan alexander that plays israel and other top guys... also as there is no more AVP beach volley, they took some beach guys like brad keenan

• here are some rumors about Paykan's possible withdrawal ! some of their main players already left the team, and some of them are injured, they asked help from other clubs but the answer was no since the Iranian league is ongoing. (started last week)

yesterday they got another injured player in the warm up so they are strongly thinking about the withdrawal. not sure how much they are serious.

• The tournament started today! Quite expectedly, Drean Bolivar defeated Paul Mitchell 3-1, I was surprised not to see Riley Salmon in the American team. Later there's the second game for today, tomorrow the European teams show up. Does anyone know a more famous TV package or a website broadcasting the games? Last year bet365 offered a solution online.. Also, would be great if someone knows the start times in CET, the times announced in FIVB website are local for Qatar, I think...