Hubert Wagner Memorial 2011

• 26-28 August

Apart from Poland, the national teams of Russia, the Czech Republic and more recently Italy have decided to join the ninth edition of the international tournament dedicated to the memory of 1976 Olympic champion Hubert Jerzy Wagner that will run through August 26-28 at the splendid “Spodek” sports hall in Katowice.
    This event will be the very last chance for all teams to test their condition and ambitions before the start of the 2011 CEV European Volleyball Championship to be staged in Austria and in the Czech Republic. The Italians are the last addition to the starting field of the “Memorial Wagner”: after they finished fourth at last year’s FIVB World Championship, their head coach Andrea Anastasi moved to Poland to mentor there the guys in red and white jerseys, so Mauro Berruto was appointed by the Italian Federation to drive the “Azzurri” to some more international glory. As for the final round of the 2011 CEV European Volleyball Championship, Italy will be playing in Pool C, together with 2009 silver medalist France, plus Belgium and Finland.
    The “Memorial Wagner” will be organized for the first time in history in Katowice and will follow another major international event to be held in Poland this coming summer, i.e. the final round of the 2011 FIVB World League that will run through July 6-10 at the brand new “Ergo Arena” in Gdansk.
    CEV

• In memory of Poland's Volleyball legend Hubert Jerzy Wagner
    Almost 9 years have gone since Poland’s Volleyball legend Hubert Jerzy Wagner passed away in Warsaw on March 13, 2002. “Hubert was a close friend and also an excellent coach. He was radical, concrete and not that ready to go for compromises, but he was always fair” says Mr. Wlodzimierz Sadalski, who is currently heading the Coaching Department of the Polish Volleyball Federation, as he recalls the peculiarity of a man who is considered the founding father of Poland’s Volleyball power. The 1976 Olympic champion from Montreal would have turned 70 this past March 4.
    After Poland claimed a disappointing ninth place at the Olympics in Munich, Tadeusz Szlagora was replaced at the helm of the national team by a young Hubert Wagner, who was only 32 at that time. That move would actually fire up the golden era of Volleyball in Poland as well as the many international successes that were about to come in the next years.
    Wagner was an excellent player who had competed for the sides of AZS Poznan as well as AZS AWF and Skra, two clubs based in Warsaw. He claimed the national league for a total of 4 editions (1963, 1965, 1966 and 1968 ) and played 194 matches with the national team, with a bronze medal at the 1967 European Championship in Istanbul being his best result in international competitions.
    As he mentored Poland’s national team (first from 1973 to 1976, then through 1983-1985 and finally once again in 1996-1998 ) Wagner drove his guys to Olympic glory in Montreal, to a World Championship title in 1974 as well as to a couple of silver medals at the European Champs in 1973 and 1983. He briefly mentored also the women’s national team from 1978 to late 1979.
    His nicknames were “Fatty” and “Hangman”, “the latter was given by the journalists, as he was known for being a very strict person” says the former President of the Polish Volleyball Federation, Mr. Tadeusz Sąsara. “He was extremely demanding with himself as well as with all others. He was a workhorse, as he knew that was the only way to go for success”.

The group that dominated the international arena through 1974-1976 was nominated by FIVB “Team of the 20th Century”. This golden era started in 1974 as Poland claimed the final game of the World Championship staged in Mexico by defeating a strong Japanese side. The guys had been playing phenomenally through the Championship and that success brought much glory to the members of the team, which was promoted to the 1976 Olympics as well as advanced directly to the 1978 World Champs to be organized in Italy. Stanislaw Gosciniak was chosen MVP of the Championship to add more flavor to that memorable campaign.

That win was followed by Olympic glory in 1976: Poland struggled there in the opening game against Korea, trailing down 0:2 and 5:6, but then went on to win a marvelous final where the guys of Wagner edged out the Soviet Union 3:2.

Wagner worked once again with the national team from 1983 to 1985, as the roster included some excellent players like Wojtowicz, Lasko, Klose, Drzyzga, Golec and Nalazek. Under his guidance, Poland claimed silver at the 1983 European Championship being hence promoted to the Olympic Games in Los Angeles, but was finally forced to step out from the starting field as the Eastern block boycotted this edition of the Games. They eventually joined the so-called “Friendship Games” organized in Havana where they finished third, quite an evidence that they may have had a shot at the medals also in California.

Wagner re-joined the national team for the last time in October 1996 and maintained that position until January 1998. He was also Secretary General of the Polish Volleyball Federation and worked as TV commentator. He died on March 13, 2002, as he lost control of his car after suffering a heart attack and crashed against another vehicle.
    Last October 22, 2010, he was inducted into the American Volleyball Hall of Fame.
    Since 2003 a memorial tournament, named “Hubert Jerzy Wagner”, is organized every year in Poland, with the 2011 edition coming up in Katowice next August.
    CEV

• Jiří Popelka, Petr Konečný, Aleš Holubec, Martin Kryštof, Ondřej Hudeček, Michal Hrazdíra, Jakub Veselý, Jiří Bence, Petr Zapletal, Jan Štokr, Peter Pláteník, David Konečný, Lukáš Ticháček, Radek Mach.

• I thought Brazil will participate also this year in Hubert Wagner Memorial. Why they won´t come again?:-(((

Our organizers every year invite to the tournament different teams. Every year this tournament is a spectacular show. I think that it is not bad this year because we have Russians who are always great and powerful, new and dynamic Italian team and Czechs who make a big progress. Give chance to other representations ;)
    Brazilians like to play in our country as they say. They will return :super:

• Thanks for all the info, Justyna!!

But what about the timetable? I'll look for it in streaming, 'cause I imagine Polsat will transmit it... Right? =)
    and how many players can each team bring to the event? I'm curious to see if Mastro will play or not...

Can't wait!!

• Thanks for all the info, Justyna!!

But what about the timetable? I'll look for it in streaming, 'cause I imagine Polsat will transmit it... Right? =)
    and how many players can each team bring to the event? I'm curious to see if Mastro will play or not...

Can't wait!!

I think that each team can have 14 players. But I'm not sure. And I also hope Mastrangelo will be there in our fantastick Spodek in Katowice :roll:
    Of course Polsat Sport will transmit all matches. It's the best television in the world because as Daniel Pliński said they show the most volleyball.

Timetable. I don't know if it will change. May change. Because everywhere is given different timetable. But here is timetable from fundacjawagnera.pl so it is the most reliable source.

Friday 26.08.11

Russia – Italy 17.30
    Poland – Czech Republic 20.30

Saturday 27.08.11
    Poland – Italy 14.30
    Czech Republic – Russia 17.30

Sunday 28.08.11
    Czech Republic – Italy 14.30
    Poland – Russia 17.30

• Jiří Popelka, Petr Konečný, Aleš Holubec, Martin Kryštof, Ondřej Hudeček, Michal Hrazdíra, Jakub Veselý, Jiří Bence, Petr Zapletal, Jan Štokr, Peter Pláteník, David Konečný, Lukáš Ticháček, Radek Mach.

No Rak, no Lebl? :what:

• No Rak, no Lebl? :what:

It looks so. Strange. But this is not the most important tournament in the world :D so I don't know, maybe they are on holiday, resting before European Championships or something. However this tournament can be a kind of challenge before ECh.

• No Rak, no Lebl? :what:

About Rak, I tought he would be there too.

But about Lebl, I think he is no longer in shape for play the whole year...

bella: thanks for all the info!! BTW, also Bernardi made (at the CL final4) a lot of compliments to Polsat =)
    I hope Raisport will transmit it too, so I'll be able to record all the matches...
    (Damn, I realized that these days I won't be at home and I will be in a place without internet... I hope someone will record these matches!!)

BTW, matches at 14.30, poor guys =.=

• I hope Raisport will transmit it too, so I'll be able to record all the matches...
    (Damn, I realized that these days I won't be at home and I will be in a place without internet... I hope someone will record these matches!!)

BTW, matches at 14.30, poor guys =.=

Why poor?

I guess that in topic Men's Multimedia will be created magic subtopic called Hubert Wagner's Memorial 2011 so you can chill out :D

• Poor because in Italy 14.30 it's time for a nap!!

Well, if our players will sleep on court you'll know why :lol:

They won't. The audience won't let them.

• I thought Brazil will participate also this year in Hubert Wagner Memorial. Why they won´t come again?:-(((

Last year they came to Poland to play this tournament, 'cause it was just before WCh, so it was a good chance for them to play against some solid teams. Besides that...well...we have to win this tournament again :D Usually when we win H.J. Wagner Memorial, we make a good result on the upcoming tournament ;) Yeah, so it's good to know know that this time there won't be Brazil :D

• Yeah we will beat Russia and after claim the European CH again :dance6:

• Last year they came to Poland to play this tournament, 'cause it was just before WCh, so it was a good chance for them to play against some solid teams. Besides that...well...we have to win this tournament again :D Usually when we win H.J. Wagner Memorial, we make a good result on the upcoming tournament ;) Yeah, so it's good to know know that this time there won't be Brazil :D

yeah, the good news Brazil won'tbe in the ECH also :rolll: :rolll: :rolll:

• Yeah, our chances are rising! :lol:

Olja, we are expecting the rematch with you ;) Nothing personal, this is volleyball :super: