World Cup 2011

• Tournament will take place in 8 halls, in 7 cities between 20th November and 4th December. 12 teams will play in round-robin tournament in two pools, organised in four rounds.

Participated teams:
    *-in Asian Championships if Japan will be in two best teams, third team will advance to WC (if this country is in 4 highest rank teams)
    **-4 of 5 vice-champions highest in FIVB ranking as per 15th January 2011
    Japan (host)
    Cuba (NORCECA Champion)
    United States (NORCECA Vice-Champion)
    Serbia (European Champion)
    Italy (European Vice-Champion)
    Brazil (South American Champion)
    Argentina (South American Vice-Champion)
    Iran (Asian Champion)
    China (Asian Vice-Champion)
    Egypt (African Champion)
    Poland (1st wild card)
    Russia (2nd wild card)

Host cities:
    Nagoya
    Kagoshima
    Osaka
    Kumamoto
    Fukuoka
    Hamamatsu
    Tokyo

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

Edited 22 times, last by kondzio ().

• I hope that the second Wild Card gets Cameroon.
    First is for Poland from Europe, so second will be for Africa or Asia. If China is in the Asian Championships' Top 3, FIVB will give spot to Africa because Americas didn't show something special last years.

• this is not actually correct.

http://www.fivb.org/EN/volleyb…en/how-they-qualified.asp

"The five continental champions will be joined
    by the four highest ranked vice-champions according to the FIVB World
    Ranking as of January 15, 2011."

if Cameroon finish second in Africa. most probably they will qualify, because only China in Asia is ranked better than Cameroon. and I don't think this China can reach the final in Asia.

The loser of CUB-USA match is already qualified because of ranking.

• Corrected :)

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• any source, please?

http://aktualnosci.siatka.org/…-przez-japonie-do-londynu

"After winning bronze medal volleyball championships before players even tougher task - to fight for Olympic qualification. Poles can shorten long and winding road to London, especially since once again lit the green light before them.
    It is the wild card for the November World Cup, which Polsat negotiated with FIVB together with package of broadcasting rights. From the tournament started on November 20 in Japan promotion to London gain all the medalists.
    The competition will be huge, because 12 teams will fight for the podium. Host has got a guaranteed place, from Europe will also participants in Sunday's finale ME - Serbs and Italians. From North America in the same manner qualification granted Cuba and the USA.
    For now, we know only as much, but you can predict who still get promoted. Started yesterday championship favorites in South America are Brazil and Argentina. In Africa, which gets a place, there is no competition for Egypt, and two consecutive championship teams will emerge in Asia with China and South Korea at the forefront.
    Organizers have yet another gift - the second wild card. According to experts, including Ryszard Bosek, it would be reasonable to grant this card to Russia, who won the World League, and on the championship of the continent first fell from Serbia, and later with Poles. - Unless win any other lobby - says the world champion and Olympic champion.
    If the white and red will fail in Japan, there are other qualifying tournaments - first continental Bulgaria (8-13 May 2012) from which only the winner will advance, then the world playing simultaneously in Germany and Italy (8-10 June 2012 .). From there, a ticket to London get also only a winner. Worse, if in Japan fails another European powers. Then for the promotion could be really difficult ...
    Polish volleyball players performed so far in seven Olympic games. In 1976 they won a gold medal, in the last Olympics they were a whisker of promotion to the semifinals."

• Iran won the Asian Championship! And because China got the silver, only the winner of the African championship (Egypt or Cameroon) will have a shot in WC, because both are in a lower position of the ranking.

So far:

Japan (host)

Cuba (NORCECA champion)

USA (NORCECA vice-champion)

Serbia (European champion)

Italy (European vice-champion)

Brazil (South American champion)

Argentina (South American vice-champion)

Iran (Asian champion)

China (Asian vice-champion)

Cameroon or Egypt (African champion)

Poland (wild card)

2nd wild card :?:

If China had won, Iran would have been out of WC because Egypt and Cameroon have both a better position in the ranking. I thought that in that case Korea could may hope for a wild card, but since Iran won, there are already 3 asian teams (including Japan), so I hope Russia will have the last wild card....

And if they really don't want to give two wild cards to the same country, I would probably prefer Canada than Korea. :P

• Egypt, welcome in Japan!!

• Khtei tweeted about 2 hrs ago:
    "I look forward to FIVB decision concerning second trip for the World Cup , I was on such selections to the Olympic Games in Leipzig , it was not easy !" (google translated)

So, the second wild card has a chance to go to Russia now?

• It will be a massacre if they give the 2nd Wild Card to Russia. Brasil and Russia will be big favourites to take the first 2 places and there will be a bunch of teams fighting for the last olympic ticket- Serbia, Italy, Poland, USA, Cuba and Argentina. Can hardly wait :thumbsup:

• So, the second wild card has a chance to go to Russia now?

Would be a great news for European NT

With the World Cup formula, Russia has better chances than Poland, Serbia or Italy to get a ticket to London . And the most European team would be in top 3, the most places will be freed for others NT (Germany, France, Bulgaria ... And World Cup losers) in European tournament and World tournament ...

• With the World Cup formula, Russia has better chances than Poland, Serbia or Italy to get a ticket to London . And the most European team would be in top 3, the most places will be freed for others NT (Germany, France, Bulgaria ... And World Cup losers) in European tournament and World tournament ...

You're totally right! If Italy won't get to the podium, I hope Poland and Serbia (and eventually another 3rd European team) will, so more chance for us in the others tournament ;)

Even if, thinking about that... Probably the best thing for us is that Brazil OR Argentina and Cuba OR USA will be on World Cup podium (with an European one), so in the continental Cup the other strong one of the respective continent will win, and we will have low-level american teams in the world tournament... (imagine the difference of having Argentina instead of... Colombia, e.g., in the world tournament...).

I'm quite confident that Brazil will have get a pass for the OG at the World Cup...

• And I was wondering... Ain't it funny that they already decided the teams that are gonna host the world qualification tournaments? Italy and Germany, besides, obviously, Japan. Italy might grab the european spot - or even in the WC, they have a shot. If that happens, what they're gonna do? Make 4 other teams play in Italy anyway?