South American Championship 2011

• :obey: :obey:
    I talked with joanamss, she told me about this journalist, too. We have in Poland similar journalists, who just want to make sensation by lying ;)
    Yeah, I was suprised of Raphael, too, because I thought, that coach will give him a chance to play on SA Champs. He was one of the reasons, for which I really wanted to watch this tournament. I know, that he back to Trento, I've heard, that club gave him for this 12 days. I saw a part from the friendly match between Brazil and Japan, if I remember well he played in one set, and his performance was pretty good. I don't want to slander Marlon, but I think, that he is worse setter than Raphael. I'm talking about Marlon, because position of Bruno in the NT is impregnable, I guess.
    Bernardo will leave a team?! 8| No way! ;( I can't imagine Brazil team without this coach. But I think, that is some truth in this. I see(maybe just I), that he doesn't have an effect on them as it once was. Anyway, when Brazil doesn't win, everyone thinks, that something wrong is happening. I can say, that they didn't won a gold medal in World League, and it's mean, that they have a conflict, or smt like this, so maybe it's just my imagination :roll:
    Ulala, I wonder about the rivalry between middle blockers. I can't wait for the roster, because this position interesting me so much :lol: Oh, and I hope to see Thiago again.

Thanks a loooot for these informations. I more calm now :D :flower:

• oh I didn't know that Rapha won't be there because Trento asked... I thought it was Bernardo's choice. what a mess :lol: I haven't seen Marlon play much, but for what I saw I didn't like him much, Rapha definitely is better.

anyway Weber yesterday released the final list and from the one I posted yesterday the only one out is Poglajen..

I read that Raphael was supposed to play not the South American Championship, but - in october - the PanAmericanCup.

about that... how many teams here in Italy will let their players go to the PanAmerican? I mean... the south american players are already coming later than the others, and then after a few days they should come back there again!? I'm kind of confused :lol:

Marta, Argentinian TV won't show any match?

yeah. we complain that here in Italy volleyball isn't considered much, but there is woooorse :lol: at least we can watch our matches in the important competitions... :lol: (sometimes I wish I lived in Poland though :lol: )

I read on the site of the Brazilian Confederation that the list isn't out yet (I guess that Bernardo will bring all the players to the airport and then leave some of them there :lol: )

• Yes, I count on Ivan very much because Pereyra, with on offense, is not on the same level with Conte IMO, while I think Argentina will be a monster if they have outstanding opposite players.
    However, though Argentina clinched the crown in Youth Championship this year, I don't think it was Ivan's effort. Actually I watched the semifinal and the final and Ivan seems kind of immature. Of course he's young and he has potential. I just am not sure if he's ready for this tournament.
    Anyway, I still long for his performance. :super:

Did they? ;) They only got silver in the Junior WCH ;)

• :obey: :obey:
    I talked with joanamss, she told me about this journalist, too. We have in Poland similar journalists, who just want to make sensation by lying ;)
    Yeah, I was suprised of Raphael, too, because I thought, that coach will give him a chance to play on SA Champs. He was one of the reasons, for which I really wanted to watch this tournament. I know, that he back to Trento, I've heard, that club gave him for this 12 days. I saw a part from the friendly match between Brazil and Japan, if I remember well he played in one set, and his performance was pretty good. I don't want to slander Marlon, but I think, that he is worse setter than Raphael. I'm talking about Marlon, because position of Bruno in the NT is impregnable, I guess.
    Bernardo will leave a team?! 8| No way! ;( I can't imagine Brazil team without this coach. But I think, that is some truth in this. I see(maybe just I), that he doesn't have an effect on them as it once was. Anyway, when Brazil doesn't win, everyone thinks, that something wrong is happening. I can say, that they didn't won a gold medal in World League, and it's mean, that they have a conflict, or smt like this, so maybe it's just my imagination :roll:
    Ulala, I wonder about the rivalry between middle blockers. I can't wait for the roster, because this position interesting me so much :lol: Oh, and I hope to see Thiago again.

Thanks a loooot for these informations. I more calm now :D :flower:

You're welcome! :thumbup:

For the Bernardo thing, I'm also wondering about it. Once I heard a rumor, and I think it never came out on press, but I think it's pretty likely. People said that after 2008, he wanted to exchange with Zé Roberto, and come back to female NT and let Zé come back to the male NT, as it was in the 90's. And the reason he wanted to do that was to let Bruno off the pressure, because people keep bringing up the fact that they're father and son. But Zé Roberto wouldn't accept it, cause we know that they don't have a good relationship and also cause Zé says he doesn't wish to make the transition female-male volleyball again.

I think Bruno is a very talented guy and that goes a lot beyond the fact that he's the coach's son. However, I think it's clear he's unable to show in NT the good game he displays at the clubs, and maybe that's because he feels the pressure way too much. So I think there's other setters better than him for NT at this point and one of the things he's got most going for him is his youth. Maybe he should, for that, continue in the NT, maybe as second setter. But to guide him, I don't think Marlon's is the answer. He's a good setter, but won't develop much, and he's already 34. Ricardo, Rapha and William all would be better options. We have tons of good setters here, so by no means the setter position should be a problem.

• You're welcome! :thumbup:

For the Bernardo thing, I'm also wondering about it. Once I heard a rumor, and I think it never came out on press, but I think it's pretty likely. People said that after 2008, he wanted to exchange with Zé Roberto, and come back to female NT and let Zé come back to the male NT, as it was in the 90's. And the reason he wanted to do that was to let Bruno off the pressure, because people keep bringing up the fact that they're father and son. But Zé Roberto wouldn't accept it, cause we know that they don't have a good relationship and also cause Zé says he doesn't wish to make the transition female-male volleyball again.

I think Bruno is a very talented guy and that goes a lot beyond the fact that he's the coach's son. However, I think it's clear he's unable to show in NT the good game he displays at the clubs, and maybe that's because he feels the pressure way too much. So I think there's other setters better than him for NT at this point and one of the things he's got most going for him is his youth. Maybe he should, for that, continue in the NT, maybe as second setter. But to guide him, I don't think Marlon's is the answer. He's a good setter, but won't develop much, and he's already 34. Ricardo, Rapha and William all would be better options. We have tons of good setters here, so by no means the setter position should be a problem.

William? Can you tell me something more about him?

• William? Can you tell me something more about him?[/quote]

Yes! He's 1m85 and 32 years old. He spent some years playing in the argentinian championship, cause when he was younger he didn't have a lot of chances to play in Brazil. He had a very successful time in Argentina and became know there as "the magician".

Last year, he came back to Brazil and played Superliga for Sada/Cruzeiro, becoming vice champions. Sada, as we know, doesn't have NT players. Even so, they played a wonderful tournament, losing only in the final to Murilo, Sidão e Sérgio's Sesi. William had a big part in that. He was the best setter of the tournament IMO, and I think that became apparent when Sada playing Vôlei Futuro (Ricardo's team) in the semifinals and William still managed to shine. During the championship, I think both him and Ricardo were a stop higher above the other setters, and in a tournament that counts with a lot of very good setters.

So, William had his name in the previous list for the WL, but I think Bernardo regards him as probably setter number 4. He was not called for the south american trainings, but I think at this point in his career he's quite above Bruno and Marlon. I think he could easily be successful in a european league, such as Raphael.

• Yes! He's 1m85 and 32 years old. He spent some years playing in the argentinian championship, cause when he was younger he didn't have a lot of chances to play in Brazil. He had a very successful time in Argentina and became know there as "the magician".

Last year, he came back to Brazil and played Superliga for Sada/Cruzeiro, becoming vice champions. Sada, as we know, doesn't have NT players. Even so, they played a wonderful tournament, losing only in the final to Murilo, Sidão e Sérgio's Sesi. William had a big part in that. He was the best setter of the tournament IMO, and I think that became apparent when Sada playing Vôlei Futuro (Ricardo's team) in the semifinals and William still managed to shine. During the championship, I think both him and Ricardo were a stop higher above the other setters, and in a tournament that counts with a lot of very good setters.

So, William had his name in the previous list for the WL, but I think Bernardo regards him as probably setter number 4. He was not called for the south american trainings, but I think at this point in his career he's quite above Bruno and Marlon. I think he could easily be successful in a european league, such as Raphael.

Oooooh, I know him! I watched this final matches between Sada and Sesi. Of course, I supported Sesi, but Sada played pretty good! I know this guy!
    Why Rezende didn't checked him in some friendly matches? He could do something like with Wallace - I don't know, that he played earlier in the NT, but he had a really nice season in Sesi, and, I guess, that's why Rezende called him to the NT(I can be wrong).
    I think, that his age didn't 'helped' him to play in the NT...

• Oooooh, I know him! I watched this final matches between Sada and Sesi. Of course, I supported Sesi, but Sada played pretty good! I know this guy!
    Why Rezende didn't checked him in some friendly matches? He could do something like with Wallace - I don't know, that he played earlier in the NT, but he had a really nice season in Sesi, and, I guess, that's why Rezende called him to the NT(I can be wrong).
    I think, that his age didn't 'helped' him to play in the NT...

Yeah, there's the age thing. But Marlon's 34. And though Marlon is a good setter and had also a good season playing in Minas, he's style is more the "safe kind". William goes for the unexpected, his plays are spectacular. Reminds a lot Ricardo's style.

At the end of the day, we get that Bernardo is very conservative. He rarely tests other players. We can argue, we can disagree, but, as much as we do, we cannot question his results. But I wish he'd let other players in more. I'd very much like a chance to William and Raphael, and, for the opposite spot, one for Sada's Wallace, who's young and seems to have a bright future ahead.

• Wow, some big news. Brazilian roster is final and we have at least one surprise: along with libero Mário Jr., Vissoto is cut. Giba and Gustavo are also out of the competition, but they'll at least join the team for the trainings.

Setters: Bruno and Marlon
    Opposites: Théo and Wallace
    MB's: Sidão, Lucão and Rodrigão
    OH's: Murilo, Dante, Thiago Alves and João Paulo Bravo
    Libero: Sérgio

I don't really dig Vissoto, but I'm surprised by his cut. The others are fairly expected.

• Im quite surprise with Vissotto out too, though like you I dont like him very much! hehehehehe

But well, it is like Bernardinho always makes, if you are not trainning well, then u are off, after all it is a big competition inside to see who make the cut. ^^

Glad to know giba and Gustavo will be with the rest of the guys, cause their experience is really important.
    I must say I like this team (of course if Giba dna Gustavo could be playing at their best now would be better..but for South America championship I think is enough...lets see. ^^

• Im quite surprise with Vissotto out too, though like you I dont like him very much! hehehehehe

But well, it is like Bernardinho always makes, if you are not trainning well, then u are off, after all it is a big competition inside to see who make the cut. ^^

Glad to know giba and Gustavo will be with the rest of the guys, cause their experience is really important.
    I must say I like this team (of course if Giba dna Gustavo could be playing at their best now would be better..but for South America championship I think is enough...lets see. ^^

Vissoto isn't suitable for the Brazilian team,he is quite slow and plays more as the European style.I am not surprised he was being cut.

• Yeah, there's the age thing. But Marlon's 34. And though Marlon is a good setter and had also a good season playing in Minas, he's style is more the "safe kind". William goes for the unexpected, his plays are spectacular. Reminds a lot Ricardo's style.

At the end of the day, we get that Bernardo is very conservative. He rarely tests other players. We can argue, we can disagree, but, as much as we do, we cannot question his results. But I wish he'd let other players in more. I'd very much like a chance to William and Raphael, and, for the opposite spot, one for Sada's Wallace, who's young and seems to have a bright future ahead.

Yeah, it's true. It explain everything, they are the best(they are still the best) in the world because of few changes in team. However, in the William case Bernardo's conservative is not good :| Maybe his crazy and spectacular style(as you said) could change something in whole team...

Vissotto... In my opinion, his performance in World League was pretty bad(but if I remember well he was injured, right?). I guess, that he lost rivalry with Theo, it's for sure, but with Wallace? He should be in really bad shape.
    I thought, that I will can see Gustavo again. I wonder, why coach doesn't choose him. I guess, that he just can't back to his form after injury.

• Well, it seems Gustavo is not 100% yet - as Giba -, so they thought they didn't need to risk anything in the South American, since the spot on WC its not a hard task to achieve. But I think we'll see him playing for NT this year.

• Argentina:

2- CASTELLANI, IVÁN - 19/01/1991, opposto
    3- BLANCO COSTA, MARTÍN - 16/12/1985, centrale
    4- OCAMPO, LUCAS - 20/03/1986, schiacciatore
    5- URIARTE, NICOLÁS - 21/03/1990, palleggiatore
    7- CONTE, FACUNDO - 25/08/1989, schiacciatore
    9- QUIROGA, RODRIGO - 23/03/1987, schiacciatore
    11- SOLÉ, SEBASTIÁN - 12/06/1991, centrale
    12- PEREYRA, FEDERICO - 19/06/1988, opposto
    14- CRER, PABLO - 12/06/1989, centrale
    15- DE CECCO, LUCIANO - 02/06/1988, palleggiatori
    16- GONZÁLEZ, ALEXIS - 21/07/1981, libero
    17- GIUSTINIANO, MARIANO - 04/04/1986, schiacciatore

• can we watch the games somewhere online?

• Yes! He's 1m85 and 32 years old. He spent some years playing in the argentinian championship, cause when he was younger he didn't have a lot of chances to play in Brazil. He had a very successful time in Argentina and became know there as "the magician".

J know his game .. William is a very great setter ..... really! About Bruno ,I think is more talented but as long as Bernardinho is the coach of national team he will always be in trouble .