2013 Asian Championship - United Arab Emirates - 28/09

• well, look at pool I and the other pools and tell me this is balanced or fair. this is pathetic and as usual, because the gulf nations have tons of oil money. that's where the corruption flows from.

i see your point about pools of 3, but the problem of imbalance due to the late withdrawing of teams would be lessened if they had 6 pools of 4 rather than 8 pools of 3. maybe even 4 pools of 6 would work better.

i get what you mean on pool of 3, which made more strong teams divided into the other half in the classification round.
    at least, the host doesnt make it worse where the quarterfinal will be a draw to determine the match pairs. Pool I+Pool K as well as Pool J + Pool L will be the final champion half zone, it seems pretty fair. UAE just wanna be safe before quarterfinal starts, its acceptable from my side.

however, i still get no clue that the withdrawal is relating to the so called inbalanced pool combination.

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

Edited once, last by pappi ().

• In the past the Asian Championship has used 3 or 4 team pools for the first round. The hard part is for many of the "smaller" countries, sending a team to this tournament is expensive. Hey lets send our team to Dubai! I am guessing that to Novotel's are not that cheap in Dubai.

Plus they could be there for 2 weeks.

So the organizers felt that 3 team groups would work, possibly shorten the tournament. But when 3 countries don't participate and announce only within 2 weeks of the tournament, they were left to scramble the groups together. Plus when 1 group loses 2 teams, things have to get moved around. UAE were probably going to get some favors as the hosts, but as you can see with the first second round match, they probably will not advance to the Top Quarterfinals.

• Thank you for providing information for this tournament. I will defenitely root here for the iranian team. I somehow adopted them since watching them on world cup last year. They are favourites for this tournament, aren't they?

from the classification round of 16, it is the real asian championship just starting in my eyes.
    it is acceptable that UAE, as host, meets some easy rivalries in the beginning.

This is something, that i will never understand. A draw should be a draw in the true sense of the word. It is not acceptable to me that any host in any tournament in world volleyball can get something like "an easy way" just for being a host. I know, this is naive, but i really don't want to accept this kind of argumentation.

• Quarterfinal draw

Thailand - Japan
    Iran - Lebanon
    Australia - South Korea
    China - India

Semifinals:
    Winner match 1 - Winner match 2
    Winner match 3 - Winner match 4

• actually #13 also sounds like he might be a foreigner (brazilian?)

his surname is Lebanese but he looks like a little Brazilian, probably half Brazilian.

from what I know (someone corrects me if I am wrong) there is a limitation of one naturalized player per team but I think these teams have more by forging documents ?(

• i don't know what he looks like, but caio is a common name in brazil, that's how i surmised he might be brazilian.

i haven't seen lebanon play but seeing that they were in the weakest pool (with UAE), i wonder if lebanon would have reached the QF if they had to face kazakhstan, qatar, india or iraq. i saw a little bit of the IRQ x KOR match, and iraq's MB (#5?) was a very impressive blocker.

interesting that even with being in the weakest pool, UAE didn't make it to the QF. none of the gulf nations did...

• Anyone knows draw for 9th to 16th place? It seems is not available on wikipedia yet.

This is tomorrow schedule per Iranvolleyball.com

Times: 10, 12, 14, 16, 18:30

Court 1
    AFG-MYA
    THA-JPN
    IRI-LIB
    CHN-IND
    AUS-KOR

Court 2
    KUW-OMA
    KAZ-SRI
    BRN-UZB
    TPE-IRQ
    UAE-QAT

• 9-16 Quaterfinals

Upper Half Zone
    UAE vs Qatar
    Kazakhstan vs Sri Lanka

Lower Half Zone
    Chinese Taipei vs Iraq
    Bahrain vs Uzbekistan

Quarterfinals

Upper Half Zone
    Thailand vs Japan
    Iran vs Lebanon

Lower Half Zone
    Australia vs Korea
    China vs India

i may not be the tallest,
    the fastest, or the strongest,
    but at least i can do one thing better than anyone else,
    to be me...

• Iran and Korea in final, winning the semifinal was importatant for Iran also for staying in World League Pool A/B position, even though they have to win the gold to be sure about that because even with silver medal Tunisia will surpass Iran in the world ranking. (Tunisia most probably won't be in next WL but still) France will play in Pool C next year.

PS: Korean head coach (who coached Iran NT for 4 years) got seriously injured during the semifinal match in 2nd set :D they even sent him to the hospital.

• what happened to the coach?

i watched some of the JPN x IRN match, then i came in the middle of the CHN x KOR match, what happened to the coach? i heard the commentator say something about him going to the hospital, i thought it was a player at first.

the stream dropped off so i couldn't watch the end of the match.

i don't know which channel or tv it is, but the commentator, someone with a vaguely british accent (maybe canadian), is just awful. he knows nothing about VB, why do they hire these people to do this? he said twice that japan was the world's #3 team!!!!!! (it's the women's team which is, not the men's). is he hired by FIVB? reminds me of the olympics, they had in some of the matches (still avialable on YT) some awful british commentators who know nothing about VB.

• what happened to the coach?

i watched some of the JPN x IRN match, then i came in the middle of the CHN x KOR match, what happened to the coach? i heard the commentator say something about him going to the hospital, i thought it was a player at first.

He was about to protest to one of linesman's decisions, he moved a little fast for his age and something happened for his foot. then he was on the ground almost crying ! he spent 10-20 minutes on the bench during the 2nd set then they sent him to the hospital after the 2nd set.

he is on a wheelchair now watching the bronze medal match !

• I don't thinks this team with Edgar, Zingel and Roberts can be considered as a B team ! they were missing some players but it was still their A team with Uriarte as head coach. actually they had 6 players from their Olympic squad (mostly key players)