2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• I thought that favourite is obvious, but now I see that Puerto Rico may be out of competition :whistle:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• And the last qualified team is Puerto Rico, they beat in final Dominican Republic 3-0 (25-19 25-23 25-17), though their match day earlier ended with only 3-2 for Puerto Ricans.

Final Pools' Composition:
    A: Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, Cameroon, Venezuela
    B: Brazil, Cuba, Germany, Tunisia, Korea, Finland
    C: Russia, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, China, Mexico (because PUR qualified, they are ranked lower in overall FIVB ranking)
    D: Italy, USA, Iran, France, Puerto Rico, Belgium

• question : how many players could be invited for world championship?

i heard 12 and i think it is not enough. or i heard that 9 out of 12 should have bean played at qualification matches.

i heard 12 and i think it is not enough. or i heard that 9 out of 12 should have bean played at qualification matches.

IMHO 14 players can be called for main roster for WCH, but I don't know if there's any limit for players who played in qualifications :wavy:

• is there any doc or pdf that i can get my answer in ?

According to this file you can register 12 to 14 players:

4.5 TEAM COMPOSITION
    4.5.1 Teams are allowed to take part in FIVB Competitions with a team delegation composed of a maximum of 20 members: 12 to 14 (according to the events Specific Competition Regulations) players, 1 team manager, 1 coach, 1 assistant coach, 1 doctor, 1 physiotherapist and 1 journalist.

I have never heard about this regulation that 9 out of 12 players should have taken part in the qualification matches. It doesn't really make sense as some countries won their qualifications almost a year ago e.g. Russia during last ECH which took place in September 2013. A lot of things happen during a year, people get injured, some players are not in good shape. How can you know a year ealier who will be able to play? Losing three players within a year due to injuries or other reasons is very likely so it would be very unfair if the regulation really existed.

• And the last qualified team is Puerto Rico, they beat in final Dominican Republic 3-0 (25-19 25-23 25-17), though their match day earlier ended with only 3-2 for Puerto Ricans.

Final Pools' Composition:
    A: Poland, Argentina, Serbia, Australia, Cameroon, Venezuela
    B: Brazil, Cuba, Germany, Tunisia, Korea, Finland
    C: Russia, Bulgaria, Canada, Egypt, China, Mexico (because PUR qualified, they are ranked lower in overall FIVB ranking)
    D: Italy, USA, Iran, France, Puerto Rico, Belgium

There is a huge confusion regarding the distribution of Mexico and Puerto Rico right now. Both the official WCH website and Wikipedia claim Mexico goes to Pool D and Puerto Rico to Pool C. Bulgarian media have also changed the information within 24 hours. However, even in Wikipedia one can see that Puerto Rico is still two positions above Mexico in the World rankings, despite the new version released yesterday. If the official sources are switching teams like that, where can we find confirmation of Pools C and D?

• I thought that seedings are based on World Ranking by FIVB, BUT on official website, we have Mexico in Pool D and Puerto Rico in Pool C, so sorry for misunderstanding ^^

• I thought that seedings are based on World Ranking by FIVB, BUT on official website, we have Mexico in Pool D and Puerto Rico in Pool C, so sorry for misunderstanding ^^

Actually, I think you are right. I also believe Mexico should be in Pool C. When they drew the pools Pool C had NORCECA 3 and NORCECA 5. Nowhere is stated whether this is according to the World rankings or the process of qualification. If we have version 1, then NORCECA 5 is Mexico, two positions behind Puerto Rico. If we have version 2, then Puerto Rico gets the last WCH vacancy and a place in Pool C respectively. However, I have never read a description of what they meant and so I still consider NORCECA 5 to be Mexico.

• They should solve it as soon as possible, because we've got a little chaos, on the other hard it'll be hard for both teams to go further so it's not so significant case, however still important :wavy:

• They should solve it as soon as possible, because we've got a little chaos, on the other hard it'll be hard for both teams to go further so it's not so significant case, however still important :wavy:

I am not discussing it because I prefer either Mexico or Puerto Rico, but because the lack of information and a clear confirmation of groups is insane for a WCH. That's one of the reasons why I disapprove draws without knowing all participants. What was the point of drawing NORCECA 3 or NORCECA 5 when they are just empty sheets of paper without any hint how they will be determined? Had they moved the qualifications earlier, not a month before the event, they could've also taken a better care of the draw procedure, avoiding confusion. And just theoretically, it might've made a difference when a team plans their opposition for friendlies. It makes a difference if you know you will play exactly Canada in a month and not NORCECA 3, for example.

That being said, transparency is what matters. I criticize FIVB, I don't care about the last team that much. Also, I do think Puerto Rico might have a chance to be among the top 4 in Pool C, but only if they are really drawn in Pool C. In Pool D none of them stands s chance.

This is the only document with information about the last two unknown teams PDF. From what I read down there in the footer, I assume Mexico should be in Pool C, as originally thought and as kondzio wrote.

• And you were right. The seedings are based on FIVB Ranking so that's why Puerto Rico is in Pool D (Norceca 4) and Mexico in Pool C (Norceca 5). Check for yourself: http://poland2014.fivb.org/ (scroll it to the bottom).

They corrected it :thumbsup: earlier I saw the same view, but with Puerto Rico and Mexico in different pools :whistle:

• Russian 17 for WCH called by Andrey Voronkov (NT camp 27.07-12.08 ):
    Setters: Sergey Grankin, Sergey Makarov (C)
    Opposites: Nikolay Pavlov, Pavel Moroz, Denis Zemchenok
    Middle Blockers: Dimitriy Muserskiy, Nikolay Apalikov, Artem Volvich, Andrey Ashchev, Artem Smoliar
    Outside Hitters: Denis Biryukov, Sergey Savin, Dimitriy Ilinykh, Alexey Spiridonov, Yuriy Berezhko
    Liberos: Alexey Verbov, Artem Ermakov

Taras Khtey (OH) and Alexey Ostapenko (MB) are out
    EDIT: and of course no Maxim Mikhaylov (OP/OH), how could I forget about him :aww:

So we have 14 from World League's Final Six with Moroz :cheesy: , Berezhko and Ashchev. I hope that Moroz will be ready for WCH :roll:
    They'll cut from roster OP, OH and MB. Main contender to be out for me is Zemchenok, second to be cut may become Smoliar, it's harder to choose who can be out among OHs, but it still can be Berezhko.

I don't know reserve players, we'll see who it is when we get wide rosters on FIVB ^^

Edited 2 times, last by kondzio ().

• Serbian 17 for WCH:
    Setters: Nikola Jovovic, Aleksa Brdjovic, Vlado Pertkovic
    Opposites: Aleksandar Atanasijevic, Sasa Starovic, Dusan Petkovic
    Outside Hitters: Nikola Kovacevic, Uros kovacevic, Marko Ivovic, Nemanja Petric, Milos Nikic
    Middle Blockers: Dragan Stankovic (C), Marko Podrscanin, Srecko Lisinac, Dejan Radic
    Liberos: Neven Majstorovic, Nikola Rosic

Milan Rasic (MB) and Mihajlo Mitic (S) are out.
    S, OP and MB or OH will be out. It'll be either Brdjovic or V.Petkovic, either Starovic or D.Petkovic and either Radic or one of OHs (hard to choose one).

• Finnish 15 for WCH:
    Setters: Mikko Esko, Eemi Tervaportti
    Opposites: Olli-Pekka Ojansivu, Urpo Sivula
    Outside Hitters: Antti Siltala, Olli Kunnari, Mikko Oivanen (also OP), Eemeli Kouki, Niklas Seppänen
    Middle Blockers: Konstantin Shumov, Jukka Lehtonen, Matti Oivanen, Tommi Siirilä
    Liberos: Lauri Kerminen, Timo Tolvanen

From players who played in WL Ville Juntura (S), Elviss Krastins (OH) and Aleksi Mutka (L) are out.
    Only one player to cut, most likely OH/OP.

• Update: Alexey Verbov (L) has problems with hip and he will undergo surgery so he's out of WCH...
    Players in wider roster, excpet earlier mentioned 16 (w/o Verbov) are: Alexander Butko (S), Sergey Antipkin (S), Pavel Kruglov (OP/OH), Taras Khtey (OH), Valentin Golubev (L) and Roman Bragin (L).

Mikhaylov and Sivozhelez are after surgeries, Maxim Zhigalov (OP) is supended to November ?(
    No idea if someone from Liberos will join NT to replace Verbov...

• No idea if someone from Liberos will join NT to replace Verbov...

Valentin Golubev (Locomotiv Novosibirsk) and Roman Bragin (Belogorie) will