2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• NORCECA Group A December 1-2, 2012 hosted in Curacao
    Pool Play
    Jamaica 0-3 Bahamas (15-25, 14-25, 26-28)
    Curacao 3-2 Martinique (25-18, 25-20, 23-25, 20-25, 15-13)
    Jamaica 3-1 Martinique (19-25, 25-16, 25-20, 25-16)
    Curacao 1-3 Bahamas (27-25, 18-25, 26-28, 17-25)
    Bahamas 3-0 Martinique (25-16, 27-25, 25-16)
    Curacao 3-0 Jamaica (25-15, 25-22, 25-20)

End of Pool Play Ranking (5,4,3,2,1,0 points system)
    1. Bahamas, 14 pts
    2. Curacao, 9 pts
    3. Jamaica, 4 pts
    4. Martinique, 3 pts

3RD PLACE
    Martinique 3-0 Jamaica (25-18, 25-20, 25-18)

1ST PLACE
    Bahamas 3-1 Curacao (22-25, 25-20, 25-21, 25-21)

TEAMS ADVANCING TO SECOND ROUND
    1. Bahamas
    2. Curacao
    3. Martinique

• NORCECA SECOND ROUND GROUPS
    Group I August 9-12, 2013 hosted in French St. Martin
    Bahamas (A1)
    French St. Martin (D2)
    Barbados (E2)
    Nicaragua (H3)

Group J April 26-29, 2013 hosted in St. Lucia
    St. Lucia (B1)
    Haiti (C2)
    St. Kitts & Nevis (F2)
    El Salvador (G3)

Group K June 25-29, 2013 hosted in British Virgin Islands
    Dominican Republic (C1)
    St. Vincent (B2)
    Panama (G2)
    British Virgin Islands (F3)

Group L May 17-20, 2013 hosted in Aruba
    Antigua & Barbuda (D1)
    Curacao (A2)
    Costa Rica (H2)
    Aruba (E3)

Group M June 14-17, 2013 hosted in Suriname
    Suriname (E1)
    Guatemala (H1)
    Martinique (A3)
    Anguilla (D3)

Group N June 13-17, 2013 hosted in Guadeloupe
    Dominica (F1)
    Honduras (G1)
    Grenada (B3)
    Guadeloupe (C3)

The 6 1st Place Teams and the 4 Best 2nd Place Teams Advance to Third Round

• - A first round scheduled for May 23-26, 2013 to be joined by 28 (men) and 29 (women) teams subdivided into 7 Pools whose composition was determined by taking into consideration – as far as possible – the geographical location of the various countries. Such tournaments will be played as single round robin with the first ranked teams eventually advancing to the third round while the second ranked sides from Pool A to F will make it to the second stage of the qualification process. The teams entering the competition via the first round were determined following the European Ranking for senior national teams as of January 1, 2013.

- A second round scheduled for October 2-6, 2013 with a single round robin tournament per gender starring the six second-ranked teams stemming from the first round Pools A to F. The first, second and/or third ranked teams will advance to the third round depending on the number of spots to be filled in there.

- A third round scheduled for January 3-5, 2014 to be joined by 20 teams, with 12 entering the competition by this stage due to their position in the European Ranking as of January 1, 2013. A total of 5 single round robin tournaments with 4 teams each per gender will be played; in the men’s division a ticket to the final round of the World Championships will be booked by the first ranked teams of each Pool plus the second ranked with the best score, while in the women’s competition the winners of the various tournaments will be joined by the two second ranked teams with the best score.

Pool A: Netherlands, Croatia (org.), Bosnia & Herzegovina, Azerbaijan

Pool B: Slovenia (org.), Israel, Hungary, Moldova

Pool C: Estonia (org.), Latvia, Belarus, Denmark

Pool D: Belgium (org.), Austria, Romania, Northern Ireland

Pool E: Greece, Sweden (org.), Norway, Iceland

Pool F: Ukraine, Montenegro, F.Y.R. of Macedonia (org.), Albania

Pool G: Luxembourg, Cyprus (org.), Scotland, San Marino

• I have read in some article that just the host is automatically qualified but before the previous World title holder get a free spot as well to the World Championship without qualifying rounds.

So this year which version is on? Will Brazil have to play qualification rounds?

Born for Volleyball, lives from Volleyball, dies with Volleyball.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• I have read in some article that just the host is automatically qualified but before the previous World title holder get a free spot as well to the World Championship without qualifying rounds.

So this year which version is on? Will Brazil have to play qualification rounds?

The South American qualification starts with the 2013 CSV Championship. The top 2 teams from that tournament qualify for 2014 World Championships directly. If Brazil is not one of those two teams, I would be shocked.

There is another round for the remaining teams for 1 additional qualification slot.

Group J April 26-29, 2013 hosted in St. Lucia
    St. Lucia 3-1 Haiti (26-28, 25-16, 25-20, 25-18)
    El Salvador 3-1 St. Kitts & Nevis (25-27, 25-18, 25-17, 25-15)
    Haiti 3-0 St. Kitts & Nevis (25-22, 25-13, 25-11)
    St. Lucia 1-3 El Salvador (23-25, 25-19, 22-25, 24-26)
    El Salvador 1-3 Haiti (25-20, 18-25, 18-25, 22-25)
    St. Lucia 3-0 St. Kitts & Nevis (25-21, 25-23, 25-18)

Standings (5,4,3,2,1,0 points system)
    1. St. Lucia 10
    2. Haiti 10
    3. El Salvador 9
    4. St. Kitts & Nevis 1

Positioning Matches
    El Salvador 3-0 St. Kitts & Nevis (25-16, 25-22, 25-21)
    Haiti 1-3 St. Lucia (25-27, 13-25, 25-17, 20-25)
    Winner ST. LUCIA advances to NORCECA 3rd Round in 2014

• The South American qualification starts with the 2013 CSV Championship. The top 2 teams from that tournament qualify for 2014 World Championships directly. If Brazil is not one of those two teams, I would be shocked.

There is another round for the remaining teams for 1 additional qualification slot.

Yeah, but my question was if they have already qualifyed as last World Champions, or they still have to play matches. I do not doubt that they will qualify through the qualification round either way if they have to go that way, but because of other events it is important if they still have to focus on qualifications or they can focus on something else as the World Championship quota is already fix for them.

"When somebody is just not an equal partner to have a conversation with, the best you can do is to ignore him." Done!

• Yeah, but my question was if they have already qualifyed as last World Champions, or they still have to play matches. I do not doubt that they will qualify through the qualification round either way if they have to go that way, but because of other events it is important if they still have to focus on qualifications or they can focus on something else as the World Championship quota is already fix for them.

Brazil would have to qualify for the tournament, because the Championships do not receive an automatic berth.

Group M May 18-19, 2013 hosted in Aruba
    Curacao 1-3 Costa Rica (19-25, 29-27, 17-25, 26-28)
    Aruba 3-1 Antigua & Barbuda (17-25, 25-20, 25-21, 25-21)
    Antigua & Barbuda 1-3 Costa Rica (28-26, 17-25, 18-25, 20-25)
    Aruba 3-2 Curacao (20-25, 25-15, 23-25, 27-25, 15-13)
    Antigua & Barbuda 0-3 Curacao (11-25, 17-25, 19-25)
    Aruba 0-3 Costa Rica (15-25, 12-25, 19-25)

Standings (5,4,3,2,1,0 points system), but match wins are 1st ranking
    1. Costa Rica 13
    2. Aruba (2 wins) 7
    3. Curacao (1 win) 8
    4. Antigua & Barbuda 2

Positioning Matches
    Curacao 3-0 Antigua & Barbuda (25-22, 25-17, 25-19)
    Costa Rica 3-1 Aruba (25-22, 25-22, 19-25, 25-15)
    Winner COSTA RICA advances to NORCECA 3rd Round in 2014

• Thank you for the answer :)

• https://volleykanalen.solidtango.com/ is streaming the games from the qualification group containing Sweden, Norway, Greece and Iceland

Fr 24 may CET
    15:45 Norway - Greece
    18:45 Sweden - Iceland

Sat25 may
    14:45 Greece - Iceland
    17:45 Sweden - Norway

Sun 26 may
    14:45 Iceland - Norway
    17:45 Greece - Sweden

• Greece struggling with Norway 8| A far from convincing tie-break win... With the same attitude (I doubt they are that bad, look at their roster) they might lose to Sweden.

• I saw Belgium's 3-1 victory over Romania last night.

Depestele was great as always: great distribution and scoring some important points (serve, block and second hand balls).

Deroo improved in the course of the game. Eventually, Depestele was able to find him better for the pipe-attack.
    Deroo is vital in this team as a scorer next to whoever is filling in the opposite position.

Klinkenberg started as second outside hitter. He was a little insecure in serve reception and missed a few relative easy serves.
    He was substituted for Verhanneman at the end of the second set.
    Verhanneman surprised me with a very stable serve reception and good varied serving.

Verhees and Vandevoorde, our middle blockers, were great as always, both in block and attack. These guys are invaluable for our team.

Great game by libero Dejonckheere: great in reception, some impressive defensive actions.
    I think he now is unquestionably the best libero in Belgium.

Finally, Tuerlinckx started as opposite.
    I'm always sceptical about this player, but his stats for the previous game against Austria were great:a solid 58% (21/36 - only 3 errors).
    In this game against Romania however, he made way too many errors: 7/19 - 37% (6 times blocked! 2 errors).
    This is the way it has been far too often: he performs well in no-pressure games, but starts making too many mistakes when the pressure rises (as it did last night).

Fortunately, Van den Dries, his substitute from set 3 on, was excellent: 9/14 (64%) 1 error.
    I was glad to see Van den Dries play like that, after a difficult season with San Giustino, where he eventually lost his spot in the starting-lineup.

I think it was a mistake from the coach to choose Tuerlinckx over Van Walle.
    I hope he still can get Van Walle in the team for the upcoming EC-qualification games against Greece.

I didn't know any players from the Romanian team.
    Most remarkable player was opposite Tofan, scoring 64% in 33 attacks.
    I liked the way he maintained his performance from start to finish.
    He has a unconvential style of attack (puts his "wrong" foot in front when he attacks - bit like Gundar Celitans does), but I guess that makes it more difficult to read his attack as a blocker.
    Also Gheorgita (middle blocker) was impressive at times: very high reach in attack.

• I have no idea why Romania showed up with the B team in Belgium. Funny thing, that's pretty much the same roster they enrolled for last year's European League. Olteanu, Stancu, Gontariu, Lica, Bartha, Spinu, Chitigoi and the libero Feher are all gone. I know Stelian Moculescu went back to Romania a couple of years ago to coach the NT, now it seems he is not in charge anymore. Internal problems maybe, change of generations or key players retired from NT - who knows...

• Kooistra the whole weekend as an opposite, whereas Overbeeke on the bench. Another tragic tournament for the Netherlands. They couldn't even make it to the next round. Croatia impressive (bearing in mind the current situation and compared to the Dutch) despite the names missing. Good weekend for Zhukouski! They still have chances against Slovenia, these results may boost their confidence.

• Just got back from Zagreb :drink: I cannot describe how proud I'm :cheesy: Another big win vs The Netherlands, this time without key players like Omrčen, Kovačević, Sikirić, Vulin, Mihalj etc. Galić played with serious knee problem :obey: Raič was the best scorer but there is no doubt who was MVP. Zhukouski played maybe the best match in his career :obey: he is already complete setter, just needs more experience, monster serves through out entire match, great block and even spiked from back zone and almost killed Kooistra :rolll: I wont talk about his setting skills :whistle:

The Netherlands played w/o Maan who landed bad yday vs Azerbaijan, Bontje is also slight injured but entered in 3rd set. In general they are pathetic :aww: Rauwerdink is a joke, maybe his stats aren't that bad but he made many mistakes, wrong estimations etc. Kooistra was unused enough, Nimir was setting low and fast balls to him and Wytze simply couldnt follow his rythm. When he got high ball usually finished with brutal spike over CRO block. Benne was coldblooded entire match, no emotions at all. Nimir wasn't in game, Freriks played a little but they loo