European Championships 2015 - hosts Italy and Bulgaria

• I hope Italy will play with Zaytsev as OH and Vettori as OPP. We don't have a lot of strong OHs, so Zaytsev is more useful in that position. I know he is so
    big-headed and he doesn't want to receive, but I think he should play as OH because the team will be stronger if he will do it.

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• I hope Italy will play with Zaytsev as OH and Vettori as OPP. We don't have a lot of strong OHs, so Zaytsev is more useful in that position. I know he is so
    big-headed and he doesn't want to receive, but I think he should play as OH because the team will be stronger if he will do it.

Giaval, a couple of considerations.
    1) Vettori is weak, I had to put up with him for a whole year here in Modena. An opposite with many defects (he doesn't have the shot in parallel, very inaccurate in diagonal, inconsistent service, competitive mettle equal to that of a sloth, etc.). I hope next year to substitute him (useless player, the weakness of our starting 7).

2) The problem of Zaystev as OH is not the receiving (after all I consider Ivan a tolerable receiver), the problem is the attack from area 4 (right of the net), which is very inconsistent and weak, on the contrary from area 1/2 (the left of the net) is one the most powerful in the world. His spikes from area 4 seem more a beach volley attack than an indoor one. Zaystev is one of the best opposite hitter in the world, so he needs to play there.

3) We need to Lanza, he's our only OH who can dig decently .

So, the team cannot be stronger with Ivan as OH (because he's weaker in that position and our Opp would be a poor spiker like Vettori and we would lose a good player like Lanza)

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• I agree with Mamdani. Vettori is one of the most overrated players from Italy. He was good 2/3 years ago, beacuse no one expected his good skills at the time. He didn't improve at all. He played for a big team like Modena and he was the weakest link in the team so far. So no, Zaytsev is the best italian opposite for sure. Sabbi is better player overall than Vettori. Zaytsev should stay as starter and Sabbi as back up.

• I agree with Mamdani. Vettori is one of the most overrated players from Italy. He was good 2/3 years ago, beacuse no one expected his good skills at the time. He didn't improve at all. He played for a big team like Modena and he was the weakest link in the team so far. So no, Zaytsev is the best italian opposite for sure. Sabbi is better player overall than Vettori. Zaytsev should stay as starter and Sabbi as back up.

I agree, in particular about Sabbi. He's by far stronger than Vettori (expect on serve, a disaster). Regarding Vettori, you said that he did not improve. Not only: he got worse! In Piacenza was a better player than in Modena. Every year, from bad to worse!

p.s. Vettori is mostly overrated by bimbeminkia :sleeping:

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Czech Republic and Slovenia NT Roster please.

I posted this in the middle of September already. I haven't found the Slovenian roster yet.

• Slovenian roster for the ECH

Setters: Dejan Vincic, Gregor Ropret
    Opposites: Mitja Gasparini, Alen Sket
    OHs: Tine Urnaut, Klemen Cebulj, Jan Klobucar, Jan Pokersnik
    MBs: Alen Pajenk, Danijel Koncilja, Jan Kozamernik, Uros Pavlovic
    Liberos: Jani Kovacic, Miha Plot

Btw, Bartek, searching through the internet doesn't hurt. Specially, this information was provided by Polish media couple days ago.

• Andrey Zhekov's condition seems to have improved, so he will be in the roster against Germany. I think, however, Georgi Bratoev might start the game. What I don't understand is that Konstantinov still doesn't know if Skrimov will be ready to play or not. I thought he should've have submitted a final list of players already? The championship starts tomorrow evening after all. Is he allowed to make changes in case of injuries? To be honest, I have no idea what the final version of our team for the ECH is, no definitive list has been announced till now... Choices are to be made regarding the setters (one of Bratoev, Zhekov, Agontsev must go) and the OHs (Skrimov, Penchev, Aleksiev, Petkov, Gradinarov).

• Yavor, would you be so kind as to estimate your chances with Germany? I know it's not easy (specially when even a roster is not crystallized yet), but I would appreciate if you could at least try.

• Belgium for ECH:
    SE:
    Matthias Valkiers, Stijn D'Hulst
    OPP: Bram Van den Dries, Gert Van Walle
    L: Sijn Dejonckheere, Dennis Deroey
    MB: Pieter Coolman, Simon Van de Voorde, Pieter Verhees, Marijn Colson
    OH: Sam Deroo, Kevin Klinkenberg, Tomas Rousseaux, Seppe Baetens

• I posted this in the middle of September already. I haven't found the Slovenian roster yet.

Thank You.

• So maybe France will beat them in group stage and force them to play against Russia and Poland.
    Two matches will be crucial; France-Italy and Serbia-Russia. It will also give better idea on new Russia

I'm quite scared by the match vs France, for sure one of my favorite european (and worldwide) team because of their attitude, which I love. I'm sorry we are in the same pool :(

IMHO the italian team is so satisfied about the games qualification that they are understimating this ECH, I'm following the team and it looks like they are going to a party (glamour selfie , tweets, joyful interviews etc.). Maybe they are too much relaxed, on the contrary Poland is so angry and can do well, while France, Serbia and Germany are refreshed. Bulgaria plays at home, but without Sokolov I don't think they can go any farther then final 8. Russia? No comment.

I don't think they're understimating the ECH. I think they'd love to prove that at the WC it wasn't a one-time thing and that they'd love to finally get a gold. I hope and believe that they're working well when they're asked for it, but at the same time I'm glad they're kinda 'calm'.
    In case, it is possible that they're overrating themselves ('yes, we can do that, we will do that'), more than underestimating the others. But it's also true that is kinda difficult to win a match you don't think you can win ^^

Ok more drama theory from me; :lol:

I think Italy isn't in most comfortable situation. This summer they collected some players, erased some of them and created a new team. They are lucky it worked perfectly for them but an unsuccesful tournament will bring more tension to this newly created team. Right now everything is cool but Zaytsev's social media team (especially some friendly journalists :whistle: ) already has started PR campaign for MVP . They are still criticizing Juantorena for his World Cup performance (first half),even writing his name in the third place (after Zaytsev and Giannelli) and describing Zaytsev as the 'symbol man ' . I'm waiting to see what will happen if they lose before semifinal. So far Osmany is so quiet , he seems to accept Zaytsev 's status (I find it very strange considering he has more success than Zaytsev in his career). Lets see how he will react if he becomes the scapegoat by some media which is very likely in case of defeat.

Biggest unknown of the tournament is definitely Russia.

About Italy in general, I agree. It' time for them to prove that the WC wasn't just 'lucky'.
    The biggest problem to me is the lack of OHs others than Osman and Pippo. Of course we'll need also Zaytsev and Giannelli at their best, but at the same time their subs are better than the OHs subs, expecially if they have to performance well only for one match and not for the whole tournament.

BTW, I was really glad we didn't soffer psychologically the lost vs USA and that we won even when we didn't serve that well.

About Zaytsev, I have is page on Facebook and honestly a missed both the critiques to Juantorena and the 'MVP' quest.
    Still, I do believe he IS our 'symbol man', not because he is stronger than Juantorena, but because he is in this team since 2010 and many time he proved to be a key player, even if he had bad tournaments and from the WCH 2014 till the WL 2015 he wasn't helping the team with his attitude.
    And I think he's willing to prove that he is important for the team.

About Russia, I really don't know what to expect. I guess I won't be surprised in any case with them xD

@vabo- If Italy loses , blame game will start. If Italy wins, MVP discussion will start.

So true :lol: :lol:

2) The problem of Zaystev as OH is not the receiving (after all I consider Ivan a tolerable receiver), the problem is the attack from area 4 (right of the net), which is very inconsistent and weak, on the contrary from area 1/2 (the left of the net) is one the most powerful in the world. His spikes from area 4 seem more a beach volley attack than an indoor one. Zaystev is one of the best opposite hitter in the world, so he needs to play there.

3) We need to Lanza, he's our only OH who can dig decently .

So, the team cannot be stronger with Ivan as OH (because he's weaker in that position and our Opp would be a poor spiker like Vettori and we would lose a good player like Lanza)

I agree, except for the 'which is very inconsistent and week', that is an exaggeration :P (even if he surely spikes better from 2).

For me Zaytsev OH can be a solution only if for some reason we are forced to play with Massari or Antonov, but I don't think Blegnini would do that in the same match (changing his position for only one set, for exemple, like Alekno did on the Olympics).

At the end, obviously I hope Italy will be on the podium, but at the same time I'm aware that Poland, France, Russia and Serbia will go for the same thing. Of course the match vs France is a key match for us, like the Italy-Oland was for the women. I hope the guys will revenge the ladies :D

• Andrey Zhekov's condition seems to have improved, so he will be in the roster against Germany. I think, however, Georgi Bratoev might start the game. What I don't understand is that Konstantinov still doesn't know if Skrimov will be ready to play or not. I thought he should've have submitted a final list of players already? The championship starts tomorrow evening after all. Is he allowed to make changes in case of injuries? To be honest, I have no idea what the final version of our team for the ECH is, no definitive list has been announced till now... Choices are to be made regarding the setters (one of Bratoev, Zhekov, Agontsev must go) and the OHs (Skrimov, Penchev, Aleksiev, Petkov, Gradinarov).

Skrimov and Gotsev r out... 3 setters? WTF :rolll:

• You made my day! :rolll: :rolll: :rolll:

Nope, with players such as Zaytsev, Travica and Piano, the situation is even worse!

I did not write that because I'm a bimbaminchia, be careful. I have to say that Vettori is good-looking :heart: , but I like him as a player because of his attitude and not only because of his face. There are not a lot of players as calm/reflective/placid/quite etc... as him. I just don't like to cheer for a bunch of screaming boys full of primedonne.

You can put Sabbi instead of Vettori, but I will not change my mind.
    For sure Sabbi and Vettori are not as strong as Zaytsev, I am not saying that.
    I just think that one of them should play as OPP because they can be better than Lanza and Zaytsev should play as OH.

Sabbi-Saitta was a great duo since they played together in the past.

I don't think Zaytsev has so many problem from 4, but the fact that we have a player that played as OH for a lof of years can be very very useful when the setter is serving [P1] and the reception is not good enough to use the middles.

BTW, I am SOOOO curious: I want to see how Giannelli will play during this tournament. He may become the one and only player which plays/had played in Trento that I like. I am very happy because Travica is not in the national team anymore. Some(most of the)times it was painful watching him.
    Giannelli is a good setter + he serves very well + he blocks + he scores a lof of points.

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

• Vettori was very impressive at the last ECH final against Russia, where he replaced a horrible Zaytsev and carried alone Italy to a 4th set. He hasn't been anywhere near that level since then, and I think it's time to let him go as soon as we find a replacement.

The real weakness of Italy is its MBs.

Lanza has the potential to become the new Savani, mostly due to his young age. Savani himself spent a decade on the bench of Italy NT, so Lanza can actually become better than him in the long term just by not rotting on the bench. He's also humble and completely free of drama, would be an excellent captain in the future.

• The real weakness of Italy is its MBs.

Sometimes I miss Mastrangelo. He was good at blocking and spiking.

Right now in the team there are people that are good only at doing one thing. We don't have MBs such as Muserskiy, Simon, Lucas... but they are good.

I don't want to be rude, but... at least we don't have Beretta anymore in the team!

I think Cester is a good MB and he is underrated. He should have a chance to play in the NT. Last year I watched a lot Molfetta and I was impressed by the middles of the team, they where Candellaro and Bossi. Let's see what they will do this year. I think in the future there will be a place for them in the NT.

• The real weakness of Italy is its MBs.

Among the 7 starters, I agree (even if I kinda like all the three of them for their attitude ^^), but in general I think we have more problem with the OHs right now.
    I mean, we have to deal with the fact that this is the level of our MBs and build a game according to that (and it won't change much if Anzani have to take the place of Buti or Piano), while with the OH we have the problem of the huge gap between the titulars and the subs, that in case of a substituion probably won't guarantee the same level of playing...

Lanza has the potential to become the new Savani, mostly due to his young age. Savani himself spent a decade on the bench of Italy NT, so Lanza can actually become better than him in the long term just by not rotting on the bench. He's also humble and completely free of drama, would be an excellent captain in the future.

I agree!

• With the OH we have the problem of the huge gap between the titulars and the subs, that in case of a substituion probably won't guarantee the same level of playing...

That's why I wrote Zaytsev should play as OH.. :whistle:

• @giaval

Love of my life, no one is calling you bimbaminkia. :heart:

But you should know most of the volleyball halls would be empty without bimbeminkias. They are the motor of the italian economy: they buy cds from terrible singers such as Nek, Sonohra and so on, just because they're good looking guys. They go to conventions with foreign actors. They go to cinemas insted of watching on streaming. So let them doing the same with volleyball players. I don't care a bit about them screaming when Zaytsev changes the shirt before the match and so on. At least they're into the halls.

Talking about Lanza, there's no way he could be better player than Savani. Savani grown up among Papi, Cernic, Zlatanov (once he also won the last spot in NT against him), Cisolla and some of the other players from the Generazione di Fenomeni. Lanza used to be bench player to Savani himself, Parodi and players like Kovar and Randazzo. He's 24 and still can improve a bit, but I can't see from him anything more than a first change for the starters.