2015 FIVB U19 World Championship - Resistencia & Corrientes / Argentina - 8/14

• From CSV :

* Argentina
    * Brazil
    * Chile

In South American Championships Gold Medal match Argentina beat. Brazil 21, 23, 23.

• From AVC:

* Iran
    * China
    * South Korea
    * Bahrain - first time ever in FIVB International Tournament

• Pool A

Argentina
    United States
    France
    Belgium
    Turkey

Pool B

China
    Cuba
    Mexico
    Egypt
    Italy

Pool C

Iran
    Poland
    Chile
    Chinese Taipei
    Bulgaria

Pool D

Russia
    Brazil
    Japan
    Puerto Rico
    Germany

• Expectations for german team are not very high this time. Both starting OHs from last ECH are missing and main setter Stephan Thiel missed a big part of preparation due to injury problems. Imo, reaching the quarters would be a big success for the team.

The most talented players of this generation probably are Maximilian Auste (OP/OH), who will have to carry the team in attack, the setter Stephan Thiel and MB Tobias Krick.

What about the other teams and who are the players "to look at"? From last ECH, i remember the turkish opposite Abdullah Cam who single handedly and very impressively destroyed the german team in the bronce medal match.

• Outside Europe I think the teams to watch are Argentina & Iran. Brazil didn't impress me much at the southamerican championship to be honest, but maybe now they changed some players.

In Argentina the player to watch is OH Benavidez and the setters (like always). Also, like usually, the team weak point is lack of very tall players.. anyway, they have weapons to make up for it.

• From Iran, OP Rasoul Aghcheli, captain and Asian CH MVP is a player to watch

• I am mostly familiar with the European talents, so I am looking forward to discovering some new players from around the world. To add to the players-to-watch list, Italy's Gianluca Galassi is one of the most perspective MBs in Europe. Junior champion of Italy and product of Trentino's school, he signed with Club Italia in Serie B for the new season to gain some more court time. He scored 7 stuff blocks in the opening game versus Cuba with a great efficiency in attack. However, Italy were drawn in the weakest pool of all 4, so they will have a harder time progressing to the quarterfinals.

Great start for Poland and Argentina. Poland are surely one of the favourites in the tournament. Russia have a very powerful and tall squad, as always, by the way, but they seem to lack team chemistry. Brazil are not that impressive either, but they started with a 3-1 vs. Russia and 3-2 vs. Germany, later they will have no problems against the 4th from Pool C, so they should only worry about the quarterfinals. France have a lot of non-native (no pure) French players, I don't know what their skill set includes. Turkey are also an interesting team to follow.

A few words about Bulgaria, the team I know best. They have a solid roster, a lot of these players will have a place in the NT one day. However, they seem to underperform. They should've taken more from the ECH and now they struggled against Chinese Taipei. I am not really optimistic for the match tomorrow versus Iran. Bulgaria showed spirit against Poland on the opening day, but it was too little, too late. To give you a few names, I am a fan of Stefan Ivanov, OH/OPP, who is now on the bench, unlike the ECH when he was one of the most solid players in the tournament overall. The opposite Radoslav Parapunov is, to me, one of the best in his age, but he has not demonstrated it yet in Argentina. He was surely a man to follow at the ECH in Turkey. The best Bulgarian in the championship so far is the OH Plamen Shekerdzhiev.

• Given that Germany will lose tonight vs. Russia, they will play against the winner of the above match in the round of 16.

So far the team is battling its way through tournament with obvious problems in attacking. Until now, they could make this up with good blocking and, compared to their oponents, a low error rate. That will probably not be enough in the next round.

• The Iranians looked like men compared to the Bulgarian boys, who could take only a set. It is true that today, with the beginning of the elimination round, a new tournament starts, but based on what I saw from the Bulgarian team, I can't say I am even remotely impressed by their performance. They have beaten Russia before, but lost 2-3 in the 5th place playoff at the ECH, now is the time to show some skills. However, the Russian team has been improving since the opening day defeat to Brazil. They also found a new star - the opposite Dmitriy Yakovlev. He replaced Kirill Kletc, who started against Brazil, and has been on fire ever since. 25 points for him versus Germany, including 7 aces.

USA surprised the hosts. It's not that unexpected, but rather the convincing score line is what impresses. One of their scorers, Torey DeFalco, is a player I emphasized on earlier in Volleycountry's junior section.

So far, USA, Poland, and Brazil are the unbeaten teams.

• Any live stream for today's matches? Italy vs France??

one-camera stream: http://live.realstreamunited.c…l-tournaments-116931.html

Iran vs. Germany: http://live.realstreamunited.c…l-tournaments-116928.html