2015 FIVB U21 World Championship - Tijuana & Mexicali / Mexico - 9/7

• This Bulgarian generation must be the worst we've had in years. Surely one of the least talented ever. Apart from inadequate coaches, there are some shaky youngsters who have failed miserably in almost every tournament they have entered. I think tonight's ridiculous 0-3 loss is their second or third against Germany already. I say ridiculous because they were 2 sets behind, but had a 17-12 and then 20-11 advantage in the third set. I would be sorry if half of them are NT players one day. This result almost surely puts them away from the WCH in Mexico and it's still Day 1 of the qualifiers in Zwolle. I sincerely hope the Youth NT (they are U19 now, I think) is more successful, because what happens in club and youth volleyball in Bulgaria is already tragic anyway.

• This Bulgarian generation must be the worst we've had in years. Surely one of the least talented ever. Apart from inadequate coaches, there are some shaky youngsters who have failed miserably in almost every tournament they have entered. I think tonight's ridiculous 0-3 loss is their second or third against Germany already. I say ridiculous because they were 2 sets behind, but had a 17-12 and then 20-11 advantage in the third set. I would be sorry if half of them are NT players one day. This result almost surely puts them away from the WCH in Mexico and it's still Day 1 of the qualifiers in Zwolle. I sincerely hope the Youth NT (they are U19 now, I think) is more successful, because what happens in club and youth volleyball in Bulgaria is already tragic anyway.

There has been harsh criticism on german youth sytem lately as well. During last years there was hardly a team who qualified for continental or world championships. But this generation doesn't look too bad. Karlitzek (OH/Op) and Kocian (S) are starters in Bundesliga (Coburg) and already showed some good things. Reichert (OH) is under contract in Friedrichshafen but hasn't played too much yet. He was considered as "big talent" and already participated in training sessions with the senior national team.

Will there still be another round or does the winner of this tournament qualify directly?

• Winners of the 6 pools will qualify to second round and will join Russia in pool G and Poland in pool H.

In 2nd round Winners of pool G and H will qualify to the WCH.

• Winners of the 6 pools will qualify to second round and will join Russia in pool G and Poland in pool H.

In 2nd round Winners of pool G and H will qualify to the WCH.

Only two teams from Europe? Are you sure? This is absurd.

• Yes, from CEV 2 Teams but..

WCH = Host + 10 Teams from Continental Qualification + 5 Teams from FIVB Ranking.

Nonetheless, Dutch team was pretty satisfied with the resistance they were able to put up against Bulgaria in last night's 3-1 lossn according to this article "Fighting spirit young Oranje" not rewarded":
    http://www.volleybalkrant.nl/n…ong-oranje-m-niet-beloond

Head coach Ron Zwerver claims: "()...they were able to create opportunities to gain sets and also they were able to close in on Bulgaria leading the score. It is satisfying to see our progress. But Bulgarian team proved to be more efficient in attack and closing the rally".
    I see less reason to cheer for Dutch volley talent development: they're already eliminated in 3 out of 4 youth qualification tournaments that are currently in progress. Only Women U18 seems to be able to qualify (leading with 5 points after 2 days, last game remaining against Austria).
    Undeniably, there's a wealth of volleyball talent to be developed in the Netherlands. Unfortunately, from these latest results, once more the Dutch federation wasn't able to translate this in decent results.

It's great to see all Belgian teams leading their qualification tournaments after 2 days:

• U21 Men - 3-1 win victories against Slovakia and Portugal. 1 game left against Ukrain (which lost 3-2 against Slovakia last night.
      This Belgian selection suprises me with this result, because they lack a real opposite and Lowie Stuer (2nd libero Antwerp) is used as an outside hitter. In this team Sander Depovere (setter, Antwerp) is considered biggest talent in years on that position. Solid middle compartiment with Arno Van de Velde (Knack Roeselare) and Laszlo De Paepe (Gent).
      If this team manages to qualify, surely they will recruit Thomas Konings and Lou Kindt from U19-team as a starting opposite and outside hitter.
    • U20 - ladies: 6 points after 3-0 victories against Latvia and The Netherlands. Big final coming up this afternoon against host Poland (who also won both previous games in straight sets).
    • U19 - Boys: same situation as U20-ladies: 2 straight set victories against Israel and Norway. Big final, coming up this afternoon against host Germany (who also won both previous games in straight sets).
      Biggest talents: Thomas Konings (opp),Lou Kindt (oh) and Florian Mallise (setter) - all born in 1997, but already active with previous youth and junior selections. A selection to keep an eye on in the years to come.
    • U18 - girls: 6 points after straight set victories against Latvia and Slovenia. Final game against Estonia coming up this afternoon.

Let's hope for a qualification 3 out of 4: U21 Men, U18 girls and one surprise win(U19 Boys/U20 Ladies) against Germany/Poland.

• I think here we should set a distinction between the Bulgarian Senior and Junior national teams. I don't follow Dutch junior volleyball closely to know how good they might be, but beating Bulgaria's seniors and juniors are two totally different tasks. The Dutch spirit could've been satisfactory indeed, but at this level names and nationalities don't play a major role. The only exceptions are Russia and maybe Poland in Europe. Still, I am glad Bulgaria showed a better game and perhaps they were really able to perform well against the Netherlands. Too little, too late, as Germany beat Croatia 3-1 yesterday and stand really good chances versus the hosts tonight.

Among these lads I see just two who would be called up soon in the Senior NT. Krasimir Georgiev (MB, CSKA Sofia) has already made his Senior NT debut during the WL 2014 fiasco. Velizar Chernokozhev (opposite, currently without a club, owned by Levski, finished a trial period at Stoychev's Trentino recently) is trusted to be the only reliable young opposite, but it is mostly thanks to his height (212 cm). I don't like his game at all yet, so I am not that optimistic about his progress. I hope he finds a club soon and utilizes his otherwise impressive size. Toma Stankov (setter, CSKA Sofia), Mihail Tsvetanov (OH, Marek Union-Ivkoni), Iliya Petkov (MB, Dobrudzha 07 Dobrich), Trifon Lapkov (OH, Montana) and Nikolay Kartev (MB, Montana) play more regularly in our championship already, but as I said the lack of international success with the Youth and Junior NT is more likely to make them mediocre players. Their qualities are yet to be developed, but the Bulgarian League is not really the best place to do so. We rightly have very good reasons to fear what might happen to this generation.

• 2015 FIVB U21 Men Volleyball World Championship - European Qualification.

Russia, Poland (gold and silver medallists from 2014 CEV U20 Volleyball European Championship – Men), Italy, Slovenia, Austria, Belgium, France and Germany (winners of first-round Pools A-B-C-D-E-F).

Second qualification round on schedule for May 14-17, 2015 with two tournaments starring four teams each; the eventual winners make the Final Round in Mexico. The composition of the two second-round Pools will be announced in early February.

• Second european round of qualification:

In Slovenia: BEL, GER, SLO, RUS

In Poland: AUT, FRA, ITA, POL

The winner of both groups will go to Mexico.

France, Russia and italy are already qualified through their world ranking position but will, nonetheless, take part in the last qualification round. In the line with a lot of strange qualification modes imposed by FIVB/CEV this is another, quite weird one......

source: http://www.volleyball-verband.…40qnl13tg6m3aoushmodvuo32

• Wait, what? I thought there would be some other way to invite these 5 highest ranked teams... This is just absurd!

• Wait, what? I thought there would be some other way to invite these 5 highest ranked teams... This is just absurd!

Both qualification tournaments are on the way. After beating Belgium surprisingly straight yesterday, today the german team beat Russia 3:0. Russia is already qualified through their world ranking and obviously plays this tournament with their second team. If Slovenia beats Belgium tonight, we will have a final between Slovenia and Germany tomorrow.

Don't know how the situation is in the other group but at least there are live streams of the matches on laola1. Currently Poland is playing vs. Austria: http://www.laola1.tv/de-de/liv…n-oesterreich/336372.html

tournament schedule: http://www.cev.lu/Competition-…tion.aspx?ID=758&PID=1378

• we will have a final between Slovenia and Germany tomorrow.

Slovenia beats Germany 3:1 and secures the ticket to WCH. Russia was already qualified before the tournament. Stats are missing for this match but according to reports, Slovenias victory was well deserved, although it was quite tight in the end. Just too many attacking mistakes by german team (21 :white: )

Poland wins the other group and goes to Mexico as well. They will be joined by France and Italy who were already qualified before the tournament :whistling: . I really hope its the last time a qualification tournament will be held in such a weird mode.

• So, according to Wikipedia, the final list of 16 teams comprises:

Host

Mexico

North America

Cuba
    Canada

South America

Brazil
    Argentina

Asia

Iran
    China

Africa

Egypt
    Algeria

U21 World Ranking

Russia
    Italy
    France
    Turkey
    United States
    Japan (replaces Algeria for whatever unknown FIVB reasons)

Europe

Poland
    Slovenia