2015 World Cup - Japan - 9/8

• The first round has just finished and Argentina is the only unbeaten team. The semifinals will be played tomorrow. Winners achieve the tickets to World Cup.

ARG - COL
    VEN - CHI

It was really unexpected Chile beat Colombia easily. Despite of I would want southamerican volleyball level improves, I think 2 spots for this World Cup is too much. Even more if Brazil isnt present.

• Canada won Cuba in NORCECA championship. It seems that Canada will be NORCECA's representative with US.

• The first round has just finished and Argentina is the only unbeaten team. The semifinals will be played tomorrow. Winners achieve the tickets to World Cup.

ARG - COL
    VEN - CHI

It was really unexpected Chile beat Colombia easily. Despite of I would want southamerican volleyball level improves, I think 2 spots for this World Cup is too much. Even more if Brazil isnt present.

I wouldnt say that. Chile with Bonačić and Gevert have 2 more than solid players for this level (I mean Colombian NT). Agamez is playing for Colombia but he was injured whole year and probably came here to regain shape.

• I wouldnt say that. Chile with Bonačić and Gevert have 2 more than solid players for this level (I mean Colombian NT). Agamez is playing for Colombia but he was injured whole year and probably came here to regain shape.

Remember that Colombia also have Jaime Viafara, but I don't know why he has not been called up for these qualifiers. And they are hosts, so they could've taken a set at least, just like they did against Venezuela. Judging by the names discussed here, I guess both Chile and Colombia summoned their best available players. By the way, is Grimalt from the Chilean NT one of the twin brothers playing in the beach volleyball World Tour or just a relative? I know they have a big volleyball family. But it is ridiculous that Chile have three players with a surname Parraguirre in their match roster :D Just like the surnames Nikolov or Ivanov in the Bulgarian NT :D

• I wouldnt say that. Chile with Bonačić and Gevert have 2 more than solid players for this level (I mean Colombian NT). Agamez is playing for Colombia but he was injured whole year and probably came here to regain shape.

That´s why I highlighted "easily". The score was 3-0 (25-17, 25-16, 25-18 ). The score was unexpected.Too much difference. Even with Bonacic (who didnt play a good match) and Gervert, Chile was better in almost all.
    Anyway, Chile and Venezuela are going to play again today. Yesterday, Venezuela won in a tight match (3-1), but it was full of errors (69 between both teams). Chile had many set points in order to force a tie-break,but they did so dumb mistakes.

• It was really unexpected Chile beat Colombia easily. Despite of I would want southamerican volleyball level improves, I think 2 spots for this World Cup is too much. Even more if Brazil isnt present.

It's not a question of too much or too few, all 5 confederations have 2 spots each and in our case Brazil can't compete, it simply is what it is. The World Cup is a tournament conceived for all continents to have equal representation, for merits we already have the olympics and the WCh.

• Venezeula defeated Chile 3-0 (25-21, 25-23, 26-24). Another tight match, but this time Chile wasnt able to play well in defense like last match. As expected, Argentina defeated 3-0 Colombia. I liked how Demián González played. But, unfortunately, I dont see him in first team.

Just for the record, Argentina is playing this tournment with only 5 players who were in Poland last year

• Remember that Colombia also have Jaime Viafara, but I don't know why he has not been called up for these qualifiers. And they are hosts, so they could've taken a set at least, just like they did against Venezuela. Judging by the names discussed here, I guess both Chile and Colombia summoned their best available players. By the way, is the Grimalt from the Chilean NT one of the twin brothers playing in the beach volleyball World Tour or just a relative? I know they have a big volleyball family. But it is ridiculous that Chile have three players with a surname Parraguirre in their match roster :D Just like the surnames Nikolov or Ivanov in the Bulgarian NT :D

The ones who play beach volleyball are Marco and Esteban. They arent twin brothers, they are cousins. They were trained by their uncle, Rafael, the Grimalt who is playing this tournment as setter&captian.
    Btw, the 3 players whose surname is Parraguirre are brothers. :wavy:

• De Cecco and Gonzalez (José) barely played today, I don't get it, wasn't this the most important match? anyway, hope they put a good show vs Venezuela.

I would like Santucci to get more play time, but oh well Closter isn't that bad (I like both better than Garrocq). Libero is still our second weakest position though.

• De Cecco and Gonzalez (José) barely played today, I don't get it, wasn't this the most important match? anyway, hope they put a good show vs Venezuela.

I would like Santucci to get more play time, but oh well Closter isn't that bad (I like both better than Garrocq). Libero is still our second weakest position though.

Any chance Gonzalez ever come back or he ended with NT definitely?

• The ones who play beach volleyball are Marco and Esteban. They arent twin brothers, they are cousins. They were trained by their uncle, Rafael, the Grimalt who is playing this tournment as setter&captian.
    Btw, the 3 players whose surname is Parraguirre are brothers. :wavy:

Thank you very much for the information! Yes, I follow the World Tour and I know the beach volleyball players Grimalt are cousins, somehow subconsciously I wrote twins when mentioning them :D I had no idea their uncle is a NT member 8| Given this information, I guess Chile can gather a national team from two families only :D

• Any chance Gonzalez ever come back or he ended with NT definitely?

Unless the liberos are total crap and the team sucks I don't think the coaches will beg him to make a "Serginho comeback". If it's up to him I don't think he will come back.

• Why does FIVB have problem with himself?! In the news announcing world cup draws it is said 3 teams will qualify for Rio from world cup, while we know it is two. and the composition of world cup is announced with two wild cards while there is in the text that there are two African teams and no room for wild cards unless they change their mind. link
    pools composition:
    B: Poland, Russia, Argentina, Iran, Venezuela, CAVB1
    A:Italy, US, Canada, Australia, Japan, CAVB2
    Also Italy is world league bronze medalist not silver.

• I think FIVB had now correct the news

Why does FIVB have problem with himself?! In the news announcing world cup draws it is said 3 teams will qualify for Rio from world cup, while we know it is two. and the composition of world cup is announced with two wild cards while there is in the text that there are two African teams and no room for wild cards unless they change their mind. link
    pools composition:
    B: Poland, Russia, Argentina, Iran, Venezuela, CAVB1
    A:Italy, US, Canada, Australia, Japan, CAVB2
    Also Italy is world league bronze medalist not silver.

• Japan has named their 20 player roster

Outside Hitters (Opposites are included): Kunihiro Shimizu (Panasonic), Kentaro Takahashi (Tsukuba University), Yuta Matsuoka (Sakai), Masashi Kuriyama (Suntory), Yuki Ishikawa (Chuo University-Modena), Daisuke Yako (JT), Masahiro Yanagida (Suntory), Yuta Yoneyama (Toray), Hiroaki Asano (JTEKT)
    Liberos: Daisuke Sakai (previously JT, currently out of contract), Ken Nagano (Panasonic), Taiki Tsuruda (Suntory)
    Middle Blockers: Yoshifumi Suzuki (Suntory), Takaaki Tomimatsu (Toray), Akihiro Yamauchi (Aichi Gakuin University), Yasunari Kodama (Tsukuba University)
    Setters: Akihiro Fukatsu (JT), Yuta Abe (Suntory), Hideomi Fukatsu (Panasonic)

• Japan has named their 20 player roster

Outside Hitters (Opposites are included): Kunihiro Shimizu (Panasonic), Kentaro Takahashi (Tsukuba University), Yuta Matsuoka (Sakai), Masashi Kuriyama (Suntory), Yuki Ishikawa (Chuo University-Modena), Daisuke Yako (JT), Masahiro Yanagida (Suntory), Yuta Yoneyama (Toray), Hiroaki Asano (JTEKT)
    Liberos: Daisuke Sakai (previously JT, currently out of contract), Ken Nagano (Panasonic), Taiki Tsuruda (Suntory)
    Middle Blockers: Yoshifumi Suzuki (Suntory), Takaaki Tomimatsu (Toray), Akihiro Yamauchi (Aichi Gakuin University), Yasunari Kodama (Tsukuba University)
    Setters: Akihiro Fukatsu (JT), Yuta Abe (Suntory), Hideomi Fukatsu (Panasonic)

All 20 people rosters are announced and can be seen in FIVB site.

• Polish final roster:

S: Fabian Drzyzga, Grzegorz Łomacz
    OP: Bartosz Kurek, Dawid Konarski
    OH: Mateusz Mika, Michał Kubiak, Rafał Buszek, Artur Szalpuk
    MB: Piotr Nowakowski, Marcin Możdżonek, Karol Kłos, Mateusz Bieniek
    L: Paweł Zatorski, Piotr Gacek

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Russian roster

Setters: Sergey Grankin, Alexander Butko
    Opposites: Maxim Mikhaylov, Viktor Poletaev
    OHs: Sergey Tetyukhin, Alexey Spiridonov, Evgeny Sivozhelez, Dmitriy Ilinykh
    MBs: Dmitriy Muserskiy, Artem Volvich, Ilya Vlasov, Ilyas Kurkaev
    Liberos: Alexey Obmochaev, Alexander Yanutov