Italy - Serie A 2011-2012

• I am glad that you three agree as one, now I have only one opponent left :lol:

• I wasn't talking about the matches in A1 so far, I meant generally

• He was bad setter?

When it comes to set the ball he is not that bad of course. But he is 1,85m tall without any jump. His reach must be something like 320 cm. He can't spike, let alone block anything. When France was playing with him, it was like having no blocker on position 2.
    He never played out of France, and he played only three seasons as starting setter in a top team. He spend 2 seasons with Paris, Paris has been french champion 8 times out of 10 seasons from 2000 to 2009. Guess what seasons they did not win the championship ? (to be fair, he won a french cup with Paris)
    After that he played one season with Sète, then became De Kergret's backup in Tours for two seasons, before coming back to Asnières in pro B.

So he's definitely not a world class setter.

• Couldn't find any stats for stetters on http://www.legavolley.it, so can't see whos is the best untill now.

There are no stats for setters, but there are team stats : Piacenza is curently the 4th most blocked team, and has the worst spiking efficiency of Serie A.
    And so far, the MBs Holt Maxwell , Tencati and Kral , are all having, by far, the worst spiking efficicy of their career in Serie A

• So, Zhekov is the worts setter in A1?

You don't need stats to figure that much :lol:
    But drawing general conclusions just by looking at the stats is worthless. A lot of things depend on the spikers and Piacenza's best one- Zlatanov missed half of their games.
    Monza, for example, have worse attk% than Piacenza, but that doesn't mean De Cecco is a weaker setter than Zhekov right :roll:

• You don't need stats to figure that much :lol:
    But drawing general conclusions just by looking at the stats is worthless. A lot of things depend on the spikers and Piacenza's best one- Zlatanov missed half of their games.
    Monza, for example, have worse attk% than Piacenza, but that doesn't mean De Cecco is a weaker setter than Zhekov right :roll:

This is exactly my point :).

• There are no stats for setters, but there are team stats : Piacenza is curently the 4th most blocked team, and has the worst spiking efficiency of Serie A.
    And so far, the MBs Holt Maxwell , Tencati and Kral , are all having, by far, the worst spiking efficicy of their career in Serie A

Do you think that Andrey Zhekov is bad setter?

About your example, the french guy is from your words, good in setting.

• You don't need stats to figure that much :lol:

And this is season 1 for Zhekov with this team and players, and they have improvements in the course of the matches as spike efficiency and number of blocks received.

• Do you think that Andrey Zhekov is bad setter?

About your example, the french guy is from your words, good in setting.

I think for now, Zhekov has been a weak spot in Bulgarian NT, like Salparov, and whoever replaced Konstantinov.
    When you have Vladimir Nikolov, Matey Kaziyski, and MBs like Bulgaria has, you should achieve more on the international level than what Bulgaria did for the past seasons. It's not the fault of the coach (Stoev, Stoychev or anyone else, won't change anything), but because some players aren't just as good as their opponents. It might be technically or mentally (since obviously Zhekov is not physically weaker than the other setters, and physical skills have few consequences on libero play), but let's face it: some Bulgarian players don't have what their US, Russian, Italian, or Brazilian counterparts have.

So when you say Zhekov is as good as Grbic, I can't help but laugh, because obviously, Grbic has played lately in some of the finest clubs in the world, when Zhekov hardly made it to one of the best championship of the world. It's one thing to get fair results with NT when you are lucky enough to have the same nationality than some of the best players in the world, it's another one to be a starter in some of the most successful clubs in the world.

If you can't see the difference of club career between Matey and Andrey, then I can't do much for you.

Now, I won't say Zhekov a bad setter. For exemple, Vladimir Nikolov is currently having good efficiency with Piacenza. But you can't deny that the numbers of Piacenza's MB are currently awful, and that Zhekov is most probably involved in these disappointing figures.

• So, Zhekov is the worts setter in A1?

Stats would never tell you something like that, and of course it's way too early to say that.
    What you can tell, is that for some reasons, the numbers of Piacenza are not good.

• I don't agree both for Salparav and Zhekov. Salparov weak spot :lol:
    About Grbic, I didn't say Zhekov is good as him, I sayed that he is his type of setter and Grbic had the luck to start early in Seria A1 and to have Brazil out of their way to win the Olympic tournament. Grbic is better than him, that is right, but as from hundreds of matches watched wit our NT, I don't see huge difference. Many matches like Bulgaria - France 2006, Bulgaria - Russia WC 2007, Bulgaria - Italy 2009 ECH 2009 and a lot others were decided entirely by him in our favor. Sometimes he plays at the highest level possible, but unfortunately he needs better experience and confidence to stay on that level permanently. About technical abilities, he doesn't have all the tricks in the bag, but I don't know European setter who has them all. His athletic abilities are very strong, in blocking, spiking, serving consistency. About spiking with the MB's this is not his strong side but despite that fact there are many important matches in which the MB's performed very well (don't forget our MB's didn't have the greatest technique in spiking or the strongest spikes), like in WL 2006 Bulgaria - Serbia, or Bulgaria - Russia 2007 WC or Bulgaria - Cuba WL 2009 or Bulgaria - Italy ECH. Last year and this WL his level with MB's decreased, but at the ECH against Poland, Germany and Estonia the MBs had big role and efficiency. So, there is potential. What will happen with this potential we will see.
    The only setters in the near past who were class above were Garcia and Ball, others are pretty close.
    About underachieving, this is Bulgarian tradition in all collective sports at least with men squads. They don't integrate well, don't communicate properly. This is very much about nationality and the feeling of belonging to such. Our nationality and identity are not clear enough and people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" /total opposite of Serbians/ which is obstacle for achieving collective goals.

• About underachieving, this is Bulgarian tradition in all collective sports at least with men squads. They don't integrate well, don't communicate properly. This is very much about nationality and the feeling of belonging to such. Our nationality and identity are not clear enough and people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" /total opposite of Serbians/ which is obstacle for achieving collective goals.

If you like this explanation more than thinking some of the key NT members are not World Class players, suit yourself !

• As YavorD pointed there are other teams in similar position who took GOLD recently without top class setter and OH
    There is no need everyone to be the best in the world in one team to get more medals than what we got so far

• I don't agree both for Salparav and Zhekov. Salparov weak spot :lol:
    About Grbic, I didn't say Zhekov is good as him, I sayed that he is his type of setter and Grbic had the luck to start early in Seria A1 and to have Brazil out of their way to win the Olympic tournament. Grbic is better than him, that is right, but as from hundreds of matches watched wit our NT, I don't see huge difference. Many matches like Bulgaria - France 2006, Bulgaria - Russia WC 2007, Bulgaria - Italy 2009 ECH 2009 and a lot others were decided entirely by him in our favor. Sometimes he plays at the highest level possible, but unfortunately he needs better experience and confidence to stay on that level permanently. About technical abilities, he doesn't have all the tricks in the bag, but I don't know European setter who has them all. His athletic abilities are very strong, in blocking, spiking, serving consistency. About spiking with the MB's this is not his strong side but despite that fact there are many important matches in which the MB's performed very well (don't forget our MB's didn't have the greatest technique in spiking or the strongest spikes), like in WL 2006 Bulgaria - Serbia, or Bulgaria - Russia 2007 WC or Bulgaria - Cuba WL 2009 or Bulgaria - Italy ECH. Last year and this WL his level with MB's decreased, but at the ECH against Poland, Germany and Estonia the MBs had big role and efficiency. So, there is potential. What will happen with this potential we will see.
    The only setters in the near past who were class above were Garcia and Ball, others are pretty close.
    About underachieving, this is Bulgarian tradition in all collective sports at least with men squads. They don't integrate well, don't communicate properly. This is very much about nationality and the feeling of belonging to such. Our nationality and identity are not clear enough and people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" /total opposite of Serbians/ which is obstacle for achieving collective goals.

It doesnt have nothing with luck but with quality. Croatian NT setter Zhukouski came in Italy last year, not because he had luck but because he posses great talent and skills. Also De Cecco played one season in Russia and Italy before he returned in Argentina last season. Now he is back in Italy only because he is great setter.

• About underachieving, this is Bulgarian tradition in all collective sports at least with men squads. They don't integrate well, don't communicate properly. This is very much about nationality and the feeling of belonging to such. Our nationality and identity are not clear enough and people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" /total opposite of Serbians/ which is obstacle for achieving collective goals.

:what: :what: :what:
    WTH? I really don't wnat to be off topic but this statement just kinda shocked me. I totally disagree, and I will ask you not to generalize for sush things saying that people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" and are not aware of their identity. Who are these people? Maybe it is just you and your opinion, because I really have no such impressions, actually observing our society I think it is exactly on the contrary. I think you went too far and started justyfing some tecnical weaknesses in our team with such an unbelievable theory.

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• raylight :offtopic:
    Stop this! We are really sick of all your theories and obsession with everything related with the Bulgarian team! There is a thread for our NT! Discuss your theories there. I am very tired of your post, besides you are telling the same things every time. Not to mention how absolutely redicilous sounds your theories about the Bulgarian nationality. If you have problem with that - go somewhere on an historical/psychological forum and discuss there!

Mods, please! :sleeping:

• :what: :what: :what:
    WTH? I really don't wnat to be off topic but this statement just kinda shocked me. I totally disagree, and I will ask you not to generalize for sush things saying that people don't feel too much "Bulgarian" and are not aware of their identity. Who are these people? Maybe it is just you and your opinion, because I really have no such impressions, actually observing our society I think it is exactly on the contrary. I think you went too far and started justyfing some tecnical weaknesses in our team with such an unbelievable theory.

It is a research, actually, which I make. Tons of books, conversations with people, observing social phenomena in the country. Nothing easily generalized as I am against generalizations as basis of arguments. By the way, if you observed when something bad happens people in Bulgaria always generalize "This is Bulgarian way". Exactly that generalization points that they don't feel much Bulgarian, because patriotic feelings are always positive. There is no other country with negative mythology as ours in the region.Or correctly said "swinging pendulum between extremely negative and extremeley positive"

• It doesnt have nothing with luck but with quality. Croatian NT setter Zhukouski came in Italy last year, not because he had luck but because he posses great talent and skills. Also De Cecco played one season in Russia and Italy before he returned in Argentina last season. Now he is back in Italy only because he is great setter.

By luck I mean the luck to win the Olympic tournament as European. About quality, as I wrote earlier, it is not only about quality, it is the player's mentality and personal preferences too.