Russia - Суперлига 2014/15

• There is a re-match from the Russian Cup today. Zenit to host Fakel again after the 2-3 home defeat that knocked Alekno's team out of the tournament, unless they receive a Wild Card. Can they make it even worse?

• Draw for the final round of the Russian Cup

Final Six

22-28 December
    Belgorod

Pool A

Lokomotiv Novosibirsk
    Fakel Novy Urengoy
    Wild Card

Pool B

Dinamo Moscow
    Kuzbass Kemerovo
    Belogorie Belgorod

The Wild Card will be granted on 17th November.

• Dmitriy Muserskiy with 21 serves, 0 errors and 6 aces!

• Belogorie was still close to losing in this match, btw.

• Belogorie was still close to losing in this match, btw.

which match the one with Dinamo Moscow? Yeah the referee made a bad decision even with video replay and gave Belgorie the point, so instead of it being 10-10 it was 11-9

The match against Krasnodar, they weren't close to losing. They had a couple problems but they were always going to win.

• Cool, just happened to see that there is Belogorie vs. Novosibirsk on laola 8o
    http://www.laola1.tv/de-de/liv…v-novosibirsk/264289.html

Belogorie just took the first set.....

Btw, grozer seriously looks like Al Borland (Tool Time) now :lol:

• Zaitsev looks so unconfortable yet , i think this new challenge will help him to grow a lot

Zenit getting stornger match by match

• Third set and match for Belogorie (25:21)

After a terrible beating in the second set, Lokomotiv played a bit better in the third but it didn't help. Grozer really is the king of hitting block/out :D

• Zaitsev looks so unconfortable yet , i think this new challenge will help him to grow a lot

Zenit getting stornger match by match

I agree Zenit starting to get stronger, I don't know why Alekno got a setter, they didn't need one, let the young guy learn and grow. He has been doing well.

This loss will help Moscow, they've been on a winning streak, but this match they made mistakes especially in attacking, this will help them grow and learn to not let their emotions take over.

Belogorie was really strong, Locomotive had an 8-3 lead in the first set and lost it, it was all downhill from there. Belogorie still the strongest team in the league.

Russia Cup for the men in December will be really interesting to see.

• I agree Zenit starting to get stronger, I don't know why Alekno got a setter, they didn't need one, let the young guy learn and grow. He has been doing well.

Alekno has openly said that he expected more from Kobzar although he doesn't rule out still using him as No1:
    http://volleyball.sport-express.ru/reviews/51170/

Alekno has always had an NT-level setter on the roster... and there is a clear pressure to beat Belgorod at any cost. Kobzar is indeed a super bright all-round player (service, defence...) but he is fairly poor at setting to "short" MBs like Apalikov and Aschev.

• Alekno has openly said that he expected more from Kobzar although he doesn't rule out still using him as No1:
    http://volleyball.sport-express.ru/reviews/51170/

Alekno has always had an NT-level setter on the roster... and there is a clear pressure to beat Belgorod at any cost. Kobzar is indeed a super bright all-round player (service, defence...) but he is fairly poor at setting to "short" MBs like Apalikov and Aschev.

I get that, but how old exactly is Kobzar? how will he get better if all Alekno does is get NT level setters and have him play maybe a couple games all season. It isn't like his NY-level setters hve helped him defeat Belogorie a lot the last couple seasons.Everybody on that Zenit team started poorly in the beginning of the season and now they are all picking up.

Now having a new setter means they are all going to take games to get use to him and his setting.

• I get that, but how old exactly is Kobzar? how will he get better if all Alekno does is get NT level setters and have him play maybe a couple games all season. It isn't like his NY-level setters hve helped him defeat Belogorie a lot the last couple seasons.Everybody on that Zenit team started poorly in the beginning of the season and now they are all picking up.

Now having a new setter means they are all going to take games to get use to him and his setting.

The problem with foreign setters in the Russian League sometimes goes the other way around. How many of them started the season in top clubs and then had to be released or benched? Only top class players like Grbic, Ball, Vermiglio left a mark. Still fresh are the bad examples of Kampa and Sintini, Travica is still surviving, but he also has a super team around himself. True, there is always pressure in these derby games between the title contenders, that's why the choice of Alekno to improve his team can be understood. However, signing Toniutti still makes the whole thing a bit weird. He said already that the Frenchman wasn't his first or even second choice after all. What I look forward to, though, is Toniutti's cooperation with Mikhaylov. The latter is out of shape, quite logically, and Toniutti can play the fast ball Mikhaylov enjoys. So at least this might be a positive - helping Mikhaylov get back in shape. Also, I would defend Kobzar. I don't think he is performing badly, he deserves more games. I hope he won't be a permanent sub of Toniutti. Alekno knows better, but it really bothers me how much more he expected from Kobzar.

• Zenit received a Wild Card for the Russian Cup finals for a third year in a row. They couldn't qualify thanks to the home defeat against Fakel. Now they will get a re-match. The draw for the tournament in Belgorod.

23 - 28 December
    Belgorod

Pool A

Lokomotiv Novosibirsk
    Fakel
    Zenit

Pool B

Belogorie Belgorod
    Dinamo Moscow
    Kuzbass

• The problem with foreign setters in the Russian League sometimes goes the other way around. How many of them started the season in top clubs and then had to be released or benched? Only top class players like Grbic, Ball, Vermiglio left a mark. Still fresh are the bad examples of Kampa and Sintini, Travica is still surviving, but he also has a super team around himself. True, there is always pressure in these derby games between the title contenders, that's why the choice of Alekno to improve his team can be understood. However, signing Toniutti still makes the whole thing a bit weird. He said already that the Frenchman wasn't his first or even second choice after all. What I look forward to, though, is Toniutti's cooperation with Mikhaylov. The latter is out of shape, quite logically, and Toniutti can play the fast ball Mikhaylov enjoys. So at least this might be a positive - helping Mikhaylov get back in shape. Also, I would defend Kobzar. I don't think he is performing badly, he deserves more games. I hope he won't be a permanent sub of Toniutti. Alekno knows better, but it really bothers me how much more he expected from Kobzar.

yeah it isn't easy for foreign setters and sometimes other positions in the Russian league. It is a strong league. I understand Alekno wanting to improve his team but to me it makes no sense to sign a setter now. Toniutti was his 4th choice I believe (after Ball, Micah, Bruninho). Mikhaylov is gaining shape to me, the last few games he has been looking sharp, against Dinamo in the last game his defense was on point. Kobzar isn't performing badly at all, like I said, the entire team was off in the beginning and now they are all finding form. Kobzar isn't doing Champions League games, I believe Zenit has a foreign setter just for those games, so he is basically doing the League and if Alekno chooses Toniutti, then Kobzar will be on the bench. Russia needs their young players to develop as well, so I hope he gets to play still.

As for Russia Cup, I am excited for it. It should be fun. It would be nice if another city than Belogorod can host it next time though.

• I spoke

yeah it isn't easy for foreign setters and sometimes other positions in the Russian league. It is a strong league. I understand Alekno wanting to improve his team but to me it makes no sense to sign a setter now. Toniutti was his 4th choice I believe (after Ball, Micah, Bruninho). Mikhaylov is gaining shape to me, the last few games he has been looking sharp, against Dinamo in the last game his defense was on point. Kobzar isn't performing badly at all, like I said, the entire team was off in the beginning and now they are all finding form. Kobzar isn't doing Champions League games, I believe Zenit has a foreign setter just for those games, so he is basically doing the League and if Alekno chooses Toniutti, then Kobzar will be on the bench. Russia needs their young players to develop as well, so I hope he gets to play still.

As for Russia Cup, I am excited for it. It should be fun. It would be nice if another city than Belogorod can host it next time though.

I spoke with Micah yesterday to learn of why he did not choose Zenit. You can WATCH THE INTERVIEW HERE.
    with