Russia - Суперлига 2014/15

• Victor Yosifov finally returned with a vengeance, the boy with the glass bones /second after Humpty-Dumpty Metodi Ananiev who broke into pieces after coliding with Polish player who was intact afterwards/ They are so poorly trained and malnourished these guys, you wouldn't believe they earn money playing by watching them shatter from every touch.

• Kobzar's game is getting more and more solid and yet Alekno is recruiting new foreign setters... After winning the Russian Cup (I still think it was mainly due to Novosibirsk's gift in the semis), Zenit with an away win in Belgorod for Belogorie's first league defeat this season.

Also, another impressive win for Yugra-Samotlor, this time against most of Dinamo Moscow's bench.

• Kobzar's game is getting more and more solid and yet Alekno is recruiting new foreign setters... After winning the Russian Cup (I still think it was mainly due to Novosibirsk's gift in the semis), Zenit with an away win in Belgorod for Belogorie's first league defeat this season.

Also, another impressive win for Yugra-Samotlor, this time against most of Dinamo Moscow's bench.

Whilst Kobzar indeed may look more confident, offensively Zenit's game is still fairly primitive. The real improvements are well-organized block-defense and better condition of the two main attackers. Zenit have saved plenty of excellent balls in very unusual circumstances in the game vs Belgorod, sets 3 and 4 of which were nothing but superb in this respect. Smart use of the tall Belgorod block and very well held Dima Muserskiy.

Mikhaylov looks way better than in early in the season and the Cuban prodigy is just one big "wow": decent 30 points in four sets with 60% against Belogorian blockers. He made the packed "Kosmos" go very quiet many times during the game. At the same time, the chap was the main receiver for his team as obviously they know whom to serve into in Belgorod. With so many points scored by these two monsters vs organized block I wouldn't praise the "outstanding" setting. The two shorties in Zenit - Ashev and Spirik - scored very little. Kobzar's all-round skills are indeed sound but as a setter he hasn't progressed much since he was 18 - still a promising setter but not "very promising" as he was considered earlier. As it stands, he is the weakest link in his team, so why not invest some of Gazprom's cash to strengthen it?

• Whilst Kobzar indeed may look more confident, offensively Zenit's game is still fairly primitive. The real improvements are well-organized block-defense and better condition of the two main attackers. Zenit have saved plenty of excellent balls in very unusual circumstances in the game vs Belgorod, sets 3 and 4 of which were nothing but superb in this respect. Smart use of the tall Belgorod block and very well held Dima Muserskiy.

Mikhaylov looks way better than in early in the season and the Cuban prodigy is just one big "wow": decent 30 points in four sets with 60% against Belogorian blockers. He made the packed "Kosmos" go very quiet many times during the game. At the same time, the chap was the main receiver for his team as obviously they know whom to serve into in Belgorod. With so many points scored by these two monsters vs organized block I wouldn't praise the "outstanding" setting. The two shorties in Zenit - Ashev and Spirik - scored very little. Kobzar's all-round skills are indeed sound but as a setter he hasn't progressed much since he was 18 - still a promising setter but not "very promising" as he was considered earlier. As it stands, he is the weakest link in his team, so why not invest some of Gazprom's cash to strengthen it?

Good point. Thanks for the opinion! I haven't watched Kobzar that many times to know how good he was or was considered to be some years ago. I like his game and the only point of criticism I have is that he doesn't use the middles that often. I doubt it has to do with tactics because it happens all the time this season and I don't think it's normal for a super team like Zenit to play with 7-8 balls to each MB for an entire game on a weekly basis. It's another point that they no longer have Volkov, for example, and have to live with Apalikov, Ashchev and Gutsalyuk now. There are some things I don't quite agree with, however. First, I agree Mikahylov has improved since the beginning of the season, but I still don't see him as the usual hitman he once used to be. Quite often it is Leon with most of the responsibility in attack and I doubt Zenit would've achieved that much this season with Mikhaylov and Anderson, for example, instead of Leon. It quite logical then why Leon would get most of the sets as well. Second, maybe with someone like Leon, scoring 25+ points easily in most games, and with struggling middles + Spiridonov the setter doesn't really have that many options. I don't know how Kobzar could shine unless most of his attackers and blockers show a better percentage. Then he would get criticism if he doesn't use them all. Third, I didn't praise Kobzar as an outstanding player, but I don't think he is a weak link. In fact, I think Zenit have no weak elements as of right now. I questioned the signing of a new foreign setter because I don't fully believe Marouf or Toniutti (past tense) could change much in their game. Sure, Gazprom have money, they can recruit a better Champions League squad, no problem. An alternative for Kobzar would make sense when they make it to the Final Four, but could Marouf introduce the Iranian game style in Kazan, or could he drastically change the rhythm of a Russian team in three months?

• I wonder where Todorov's blocking went. He was best blocker a couple of years ago, now is he is the worst blocker.

• Good point. Thanks for the opinion! I haven't watched Kobzar that many times to know how good he was or was considered to be some years ago. I like his game and the only point of criticism I have is that he doesn't use the middles that often. I doubt it has to do with tactics because it happens all the time this season and I don't think it's normal for a super team like Zenit to play with 7-8 balls to each MB for an entire game on a weekly basis. It's another point that they no longer have Volkov, for example, and have to live with Apalikov, Ashchev and Gutsalyuk now. There are some things I don't quite agree with, however. First, I agree Mikahylov has improved since the beginning of the season, but I still don't see him as the usual hitman he once used to be. Quite often it is Leon with most of the responsibility in attack and I doubt Zenit would've achieved that much this season with Mikhaylov and Anderson, for example, instead of Leon. It quite logical then why Leon would get most of the sets as well. Second, maybe with someone like Leon, scoring 25+ points easily in most games, and with struggling middles + Spiridonov the setter doesn't really have that many options. I don't know how Kobzar could shine unless most of his attackers and blockers show a better percentage. Then he would get criticism if he doesn't use them all. Third, I didn't praise Kobzar as an outstanding player, but I don't think he is a weak link. In fact, I think Zenit have no weak elements as of right now. I questioned the signing of a new foreign setter because I don't fully believe Marouf or Toniutti (past tense) could change much in their game. Sure, Gazprom have money, they can recruit a better Champions League squad, no problem. An alternative for Kobzar would make sense when they make it to the Final Four, but could Marouf introduce the Iranian game style in Kazan, or could he drastically change the rhythm of a Russian team in three months?

Yeah I agree. Marouf is aa great setter, so it will be interesting to see how the team adapts to his style of setting. he is suppose to be in Kazan on the 13th. However, with Kobzar improving so much, I think Zenit could win with him as their setter. Russia needs a good upcoming setter to challenge Butko and Grankin because these two at times are inconsistent.

I wonder who sponsors other big teams, like I knjow Gazprom is Zenit, but I wonder, does anyone know who are the main sponsors for Dinamo Krasnodar, Dinamo Moscow, Lokomotive and Belgorie?

• Lokomotiv = Russian railways

Belgorod = Metalloinvest

Dynamo Moscow = VTB bank

Dynamo Krasnodar = probably region of Krasnodar or city

Gazprom = Zenit, Ugra Surgut, Fakel

Kuzbass = some mining company

• As far as I can see:

Dinamo Msk = FSB, Evraz + some other

Dinamo Kr = most likely yes, local money + Rosneft

The Gazproms that support Zenit, Ugra Surgut, Fakel are not the same :). Zenit has the richest.

Kuzbass = SDS has various assets, coal yes, but also transport and alcohol :)

Grozny = Ramzan Kadyrov (=Fed Budget)

The dark horse is Samotlor (very unclear)

The bizarre is Neftianik Orenburg which has nothing to do with oil, believe it or not :)

I think VTB supports the NT.

• Now that you mention it, yes I do believe VTB supports NT only. I didn't know there were different Gazproms, I thought it was 1 company. Is Lokomotive the same as what was said before?

• Now that you mention it, yes I do believe VTB supports NT only. I didn't know there were different Gazproms, I thought it was 1 company. Is Lokomotive the same as what was said before?

Gazprom has different subsidiaries which seem to enjoy some independence, e.g. the right to support "local" volleyball team that rivals the protege of the central office.

The tradition spanning from the USSR times is that certain team names were closely linked to particular organizations or institutions. "Lokomotiv" would be associated/funded by railway, with "Dinamo" one would expect police (or FSB :)) to be involved, CSKA or SKA is highly likely to be linked to army. Four years ago, Russian Railways have been funding two volleyball teams in the Superleague as Belogorie was known as Lokomotiv-Belogorie and wore green and red colours on the pitch. But then the railway people decided to bet on one horse only and Novosibirsk here managed to outsmart the experienced trader Shipulin to get the railway monies.

• Gazprom has different subsidiaries which seem to enjoy some independence, e.g. the right to support "local" volleyball team that rivals the protege of the central office.

The tradition spanning from the USSR times is that certain team names were closely linked to particular organizations or institutions. "Lokomotiv" would be associated/funded by railway, with "Dinamo" one would expect police (or FSB :)) to be involved, CSKA or SKA is highly likely to be linked to army. Four years ago, Russian Railways have been funding two volleyball teams in the Superleague as Belogorie was known as Lokomotiv-Belogorie and wore green and red colours on the pitch. But then the railway people decided to bet on one horse only and Novosibirsk here managed to outsmart the experienced trader Shipulin to get the railway monies.

That is really interesting to understand organizations being linked to the teams. lol at Lokomotive outsmarting Belgorie to the railway, Belgorie isn't doing too badly since missing out on that contract. Thanks a lot for the information.

• Nobody knows details on Todorov's condition?

• That is really interesting to understand organizations being linked to the teams. lol at Lokomotive outsmarting Belgorie to the railway, Belgorie isn't doing too badly since missing out on that contract. Thanks a lot for the information.

Financially, you should not underestimate the "business a-la Russe" skills of Shipulin as well as the fact that Belgorod has an excellent record (thanks again to Shipulin's skills). Metalloinvest used to fund their farm-club, which predictably bore the sponsor's name and ended up playing a season in the Superleague before being disbanded for financial reasons. So basically the contact always existed and the sponsorship was largely a matter of effort from the club (=Shipulin).

Now, the down side of this partnership is that the Railway clearly puts less of a pressure on the club. Under Metalloinvest, Belgorod's budget seems to depend on their results on the annual basis. Shipulin admitted funding cuts after the disastrous season 2011/2012.

In terms of sports, the bitter pill of 2011/12 provided Belgorod with some wisdom. Firstly, Boris Kolchins came back as a second coach. (In Belgorod, the second coach does the whole job of running the team as Shipulin himself is not a coach and never played serious sports.) Secondly, Belgorod made a rare effort of spending cash on the world-class players to cover the difficult positions instead of relying on the local boys, something that Shipulin was always doing. Lukas Kampa was a (predictable) miss but Sergei Makarov proved to be a very correct buy. The transfer of Georg Grozer in 2012 has been one of the most successful investments in the whole short history of Superleague, alongside the signing of Lloy Ball by Dinamo TTG back in 2006 and Valerio Vermiglio by Zenit in 2011. Lastly, London Olympics helped Belgorod a lot as they had several key players in the NT.

• Financially, you should not underestimate the "business a-la Russe" skills of Shipulin as well as the fact that Belgorod has an excellent record (thanks again to Shipulin's skills). Metalloinvest used to fund their farm-club, which predictably bore the sponsor's name and ended up playing a season in the Superleague before being disbanded for financial reasons. So basically the contact always existed and the sponsorship was largely a matter of effort from the club (=Shipulin).

Now, the down side of this partnership is that the Railway clearly puts less of a pressure on the club. Under Metalloinvest, Belgorod's budget seems to depend on their results on the annual basis. Shipulin admitted funding cuts after the disastrous season 2011/2012.

In terms of sports, the bitter pill of 2011/12 provided Belgorod with some wisdom. Firstly, Boris Kolchins came back as a second coach. (In Belgorod, the second coach does the whole job of running the team as Shipulin himself is not a coach and never played serious sports.) Secondly, Belgorod made a rare effort of spending cash on the world-class players to cover the difficult positions instead of relying on the local boys, something that Shipulin was always doing. Lukas Kampa was a (predictable) miss but Sergei Makarov proved to be a very correct buy. The transfer of Georg Grozer in 2012 has been one of the most successful investments in the whole short history of Superleague, alongside the signing of Lloy Ball by Dinamo TTG back in 2006 and Valerio Vermiglio by Zenit in 2011. Lastly, London Olympics helped Belgorod a lot as they had several key players in the NT.

Hmm yeah I realize it seems that Belgorod does get pressure from their sponsors. Maybe they can look for a second sponsor as well, in case of anything? So if the second coach runs the team, What does Shipulin do?

Yes I realize Belgorod doesn't buy too many foreign players (unlike Zenit) which is a good thing for the local players, but the local players need to perform, so it is pressure as well.

I think all the volleyball clubs get pressure from their sponsors, but some more than others.

Lokomotive lost to Orenburg yesterday. This team is really hot and cold at the moment.

• Hey.Any body have full match video of Zenit VS Dinamo Krasnador?
    I need that.
    Thanks!