Russia - Суперлига 2014/15

• First set goes to Belogorie. Too many hitting errors for Kazan. Marouf is playing very fast to the outsides and therefore lacks a bit of precision at times. I assume, we still might see Kobzar on court tonight.

• I wonder if the CL2015 winner can grab a set

No they can't.
    What a pathetic level of setting in the end by Kobzar......

• Well, an OK start. Zenith without surprises, a very Leon team (20 of 38 points in attack, 31 of 66 receptions, 3 of 5 aces). Mikhailov well read... and he can't hit from Kobzar's sets. Volkov managed to score a couple of points but he's miles away from his best.

For Belgorod, Muserskiy in a great shape, Safonov not bad at all. Belgorod had finished half of their attacks through the middle (8% for Zenit). Khtey was there mostly to receive, which he did very well I must say.

Belgorod looked better prepared to me, although they failed to neutralise Leon. Zenit is the same as in CL finals: what they were planning to arrange in the middle is unclear. They are however younger than their Belgorod opponents, which may be an advantage in the tomorrow's game.

• Marouf

No they can't.
    What a pathetic level of setting in the end by Kobzar......

Well it isn't as if Marouf did any better. The problem is they are too dependent on Leon. I don't know why the setters don't set others more like Maxim and there middles. Kobzar especially you know he will be going to Leon, so just prepare to try and block him. Spridonov came in but as usual, his mouth does more contribution than him.

Belgorie was also a little predictable at first with Travica going to Grozer often. Then he finally realized oh crap I have other players and started using them especially Musersky. Got to give Musersky credit for some of his setting especially in the second set. He did good.

• Kazan takes the match 3-2 after being down 2-0... Really beautiful match where block and serve where the main weapons! Sivozhelez and Kobzar played good from the third set on (I don't know if they played also the first two as I didn't see them)..

• Sivozhelez started but he was subbed out and I guess eventually came in. Kobzar came in the third set for good. Marouf started. Zenit wasted their money getting Marouf. They didn't really need him and he hasn't gelled too well with the team especially setting Maxim. It would have taken more than a few months to gell and he isn't even with the team for next season. Kobzar still makes a lot of mistakes but they play better with him most of the time. Granted all he mainly does is set to Leon.

In 3rd place game Dinamo Moscow defeated Gazprom 3-0 (25-17, 25-18, 25-22)

• Belogorie may have Muserskiy to equalize Leon, but Zenit has Alekno

P.S. I will watch this match, it seems that Tetyukhin put some show today.

• Belogorie may have Muserskiy to equalize Leon, but Zenit has Alekno

P.S. I will watch this match, it seems that Tetyukhin put some show today.

Zenit has the stronger team that's what they have and also have a younger team. However, take out Leon and the team depletes. Belogorie might need to make a couple moves to get better. Tetyukhin did do well. Hit 67% and had 21 points. Musekskiy only hit 44%. Grozer also did well hit 58%.

• Considering his age and the height of the block against him, Tetyukhin did phenomenally

• Sivozhelez started but he was subbed out and I guess eventually came in. Kobzar came in the third set for good. Marouf started. Zenit wasted their money getting Marouf. They didn't really need him and he hasn't gelled too well with the team especially setting Maxim. It would have taken more than a few months to gell and he isn't even with the team for next season. Kobzar still makes a lot of mistakes but they play better with him most of the time. Granted all he mainly does is set to Leon.

If there is one thing Marouf has done well in Kazan in these past few months, it is setting to Maxim Mikhaylov. Perhaps it didn't work out yesterday, I didn't watch the match, therefore I cannot comment, but the combination with Mikhaylov worked very well in Berlin when I watched it live. The ball the Russian gets is very fast, the type of sets he enjoys, so Marouf cannot be blamed for lacking cooperation with his opposite. However, he has never played much with his middles, unlike in Iranian NT, so maybe it's a coach's (or Leon's) decision to have a poor ball distribution. In addition, he hasn't really shone in Kazan and indeed his arrival in Russia doesn't get justifiable easily today. Zenit won the CL with Kobzar mostly, he often finishes games instead of the Iranian and recruiting a foreign setter in the mid-season hasn't improved Zenit much in general, I totally agree. Here is a quote from my post dating back a few months ago regarding the setters' situation in Kazan, it turned out I was right. Many people said back then Kobzar was the weak link in Zenit. Well, the "stronger" link is now mostly on the bench :) I am happy for Kobzar even if he is not an outstanding setter, he fought with the competition of Marouf well.

Third, I didn't praise Kobzar as an outstanding player, but I don't think he is a weak link. In fact, I think Zenit have no weak elements as of right now. I questioned the signing of a new foreign setter because I don't fully believe Marouf or Toniutti (past tense) could change much in their game. Sure, Gazprom have money, they can recruit a better Champions League squad, no problem. An alternative for Kobzar would make sense when they make it to the Final Four, but could Marouf introduce the Iranian game style in Kazan, or could he drastically change the rhythm of a Russian team in three months?

• If there is one thing Marouf has done well in Kazan in these past few months, it is setting to Maxim Mikhaylov. Perhaps it didn't work out yesterday, I didn't watch the match, therefore I cannot comment, but the combination with Mikhaylov worked very well in Berlin when I watched it live. The ball the Russian gets is very fast, the type of sets he enjoys, so Marouf cannot be blamed for lacking cooperation with his opposite. However, he has never played much with his middles, unlike in Iranian NT, so maybe it's a coach's (or Leon's) decision to have a poor ball distribution. In addition, he hasn't really shone in Kazan and indeed his arrival in Russia doesn't get justifiable easily today. Zenit won the CL with Kobzar mostly, he often finishes games instead of the Iranian and recruiting a foreign setter in the mid-season hasn't improved Zenit much in general, I totally agree. Here is a quote from my post dating back a few months ago regarding the setters' situation in Kazan, it turned out I was right. Many people said back then Kobzar was the weak link in Zenit. Well, the "stronger" link is now mostly on the bench :) I am happy for Kobzar even if he is not an outstanding setter, he fought with the competition of Marouf well.

Leon's? I doubt Leon has much weight to make that kind of decision especially with Alekno in charge or even in Russian League. It could be Alekno's or he just really hasn't connected with the middles. Zenit's middles are so hot and cold anyways. Apailikov is good when he is ready. I don't even remember the other guy's name. Hopefully Volkov can fully heal and play next year, with him back on form they can be deadlier. However, Kobzar does need not be so predictable next season. It is only because Leon is so good that he gets away with it. I agree with you about Marouf, I am sure they spent a lot to get him and his contract isn't cheap and he hasn't shone. I also didn't think Kobzar was a weak link. I've always said that Russia needs their young setters to be getting playing time. Sometimes Grankin gets too complacent and he needs a challenge in the NT.

What happened to Mikhaylov in the last two match with Belogorie?

How's his form this year?

Mikhaylov has been hot and cold. Some games, I think there is the Mikaylov from Olympics etc, and then others you wonder where he is. I don't know the injury he got last year. He hasn't completely found his form again. he doesn't get as much sets as before, because like I said Kobzar mainly sets to Leon.

• If there is one thing Marouf has done well in Kazan in these past few months, it is setting to Maxim Mikhaylov. Perhaps it didn't work out yesterday, I didn't watch the match, therefore I cannot comment, but the combination with Mikhaylov worked very well in Berlin when I watched it live. The ball the Russian gets is very fast, the type of sets he enjoys, so Marouf cannot be blamed for lacking cooperation with his opposite. However, he has never played much with his middles, unlike in Iranian NT, so maybe it's a coach's (or Leon's) decision to have a poor ball distribution. In addition, he hasn't really shone in Kazan and indeed his arrival in Russia doesn't get justifiable easily today. Zenit won the CL with Kobzar mostly, he often finishes games instead of the Iranian and recruiting a foreign setter in the mid-season hasn't improved Zenit much in general, I totally agree. Here is a quote from my post dating back a few months ago regarding the setters' situation in Kazan, it turned out I was right. Many people said back then Kobzar was the weak link in Zenit. Well, the "stronger" link is now mostly on the bench :) I am happy for Kobzar even if he is not an outstanding setter, he fought with the competition of Marouf well.

Kobzar attempts to use MBs more now and his overall confidence has been substantially boosted but it is not his setting that gives him the edge. He is by far better blocker and server, which is absolutely critical for the "serve hard - block well - Leon" scheme. Yes, Kobzar still looks wooden to me but on the balance letting 40 y.o. Tetyukhin finish 70% of his hits into the floor is a bigger issue.

What also plays dramatically against (a way better setter Marouf) is the condition of Zenit MBs (bringing Volkov into the game tells you the story immediately) and Mikhaylov (10+ points lost due to mistakes or being blocked.) Where you are being perhaps too optimistic is Kobzar's ability to save games. Igor almost brought the CL final into the fourth set and definitely helped to avoid the fourth set in the first game in Belgorod.

• Championship:

Belogorie Belgorod - Zenit Kazan 3-0 2-3

* to 3 wins
    * matches 23, 24, 27 and if 28.04, 1.05

3rd place:

Dinamo Moscow - Gazprom Yugra Surgut 3-0 3-2

* to 2 wins
    * matches 23, 26.04

5th place:

Lokomotiv Novosibirsk - Fakel Novyj Urengoy 3-1 3-1

* to 2 wins
    * matches 18, 19.04