Bulgaria - Бачково Суперлига 2014/2015

• As it always happens, we don't know much about the National League. Thanks to one of the clubs' website, we have the number of teams that are most probably going to start the new championship. Of course, the Volleyball Federation announced nothing, their website is empty, they didn't even invite media representatives when the draw was held a couple of days ago. No one actually knows what the program is, but maybe at least the number of teams is known, unless they change it afterwards.

The 10 participants should be:

Marek Union-Ivkoni (Dupnitsa)
    Dobrudzha 07 (Dobrich)
    CSKA (Sofia)
    Levski Ball (Sofia)
    Neftochimik 2010 (Burgas)
    Arda (Kardzhali)
    Coco Volley Club Gabrovo (Gabrovo)
    Minyor (Pernik)
    Montana (Montana)
    Pirin (Razlog)

Don't ask for more because there is nothing more :D I will try to write team rosters here again when I have some information. It will take more than a month for sure. Of course, the database people of the Volleyball Manager will also receive the list as soon as it is ready.

• Truth being told, I don't have more news. There is a complete darkness in terms of our national league and the teams representing it. What you quoted is a very good translation from a Bulgarian article. They do have financial problems and even if they solve them, or at least partially, in time for the new season, they won't gather the same group of players they had last season. The quality core of the team is gone, they can't be all replaced, so quite certainly we will see a very weakened Gabrovo. More details I will give when their roster is known.

Also, there are some problems with Marek, the champions and CL participants. Luckily, they are not financial, but not all of their players will stay. Some are waiting for foreign teams, or rather in negotiations with such.

I will give you a more detailed explanation about any team as soon as they announce something about their respective roster.

Probably the only good news these days come from my hometown club, Neftochimik 2010 Burgas. Ivan Stanev (ex-NT setter) returns from Iran after spending several years there. There is a new head coach, Petyo Dragiev. He came with his son, the outside attacker Plamen Dragiev (Junior ECH silver medalist). It means Daniel Peev will no longer be head coach of Neftochimik.

• To confirm what I already revealed about Neftochimik, the club from Burgas is building up, at least for the time being, the most solid squad in the league alongside Marek. And while I know nothing about how Marek will look like this year, apart from the news that they will register some local youngsters, Neftochimik has quite an interesting group of players right now. I wrote about Ivan Stanev and Plamen Dragiev. The other players training are Stoyan Samunev, Dobromir Ivanov (the libero returns to Burgas from Gabrovo), Vasiliy Petrov (215cm MB from Levski (Sofia)), Georgi Dimitrov (MB, returns from a loan in Arda) and Petar Hristov (opposite, part of the championship team in 2007, last played in Libya). Martin Penev and Andrey Nikolov also stay in Burgas, whereas Venelin Kadankov didn't renew his contract and is a free agent.

Dobrudzha 07 (Dobrich) also work on their new selection. As newcomers, they reached the Cup's final and finished on the sixth league position. Their squad looks quite competitive on paper. The new players are Valentin Dimov (OH, Montana), Krasimir Stefanov (ex-NT, opposite, Coco Volley Club Gabrovo), Ventsislav Ragin (MB, Montana), Dimitar Marinkov (OH, Montana), Vangel Velinov (OH, Cherno more BASK (Varna)) and Timur Sadikov (Kazakhstan, opposite, 207 cm, 23-year old). Dimitar Ivanov (OH) joins Dinamo Bucharest in Romania, whereas the Montenegrin Jovan Culafic leaves the club.

Sporadic news about some other teams:

Mincho Minchev (opposite, Coco Volley Club Gabrovo) joined Montana. Four players of Levski (Sofia) also joined Montana. These are Denimir Dimitrov (setter), Ivaylo Lalov (libero), Zlatko Kyossev (OH), Denis Chavdarov (MB). Atanas Petrov will be the new head coach of Montana. He will replace Severin Dimitrov. The club's ambitions are to finish among the top four.

Dobromir Dimitrov (NT, setter, Coco Volley Club Gabrovo) and Kostadin Gadzhanov (ex-NT, MB, Coco Volley Club Gabrovo) both return to Pirin (Razlog).

• Nikolay Zhelyazkov, the Bulgarian Junior NT's head coach, will be the new head coach of Levski Sofia. Despite the lack of money and the recent real chance to fail with the league registration, they have recruited some former players for the new season. These are Krasimir Gaydarski (MB, Coco Volley Club Gabrovo), Alexander Simeonov (OH, from somewhere in Kazakhstan) and Teodor Bogdanov (MB, from the Iranian League). Georgi Manchev (ex-NT setter) got injured last year and missed most of the season, but is said to be fit for the new one.

Meanwhile in Razlog, after Dobromir Dimitrov's transfer in Romania, Chono Penchev will probably be the starting setter of Pirin.

• So we finally know the match program. I am sure this must be a record of its own type. I doubt there has ever been a case worldwide where a league schedule is officially announced about 10 days prior to its beginning. The first three games are supposed to take place on the 17th October, the remaining two on the following day.

Round 1

Arda vs. Neftochimik 2010
    CSKA vs. Dobrudzha 07
    Montana vs. Coco Volley Club Gabrovo
    Marek Union-Ivkoni vs. Pirin
    Minyor vs. Levski Ball

• Another change of course for Levski! After Simeon Aleksandrov signed with Al-Ahly in Egypt, Teodor Bogdanov (still owned by Levski, though) joined Neftochimik 2010 Burgas. There is no certainty regarding the club's future, they are still struggling to find the amounts of money necessary for participation in the league. Two key players left the club already, maybe there are more to do so as well. The chaos is total! Besides, today they announced there will be only six (!!!) teams in the female league (just to give you a comparison) which must be another anti-record of its own.

• Better to have 6 Teams on good level than many Teams in category City-Wood.

I do not follow even our female league, so I can't say much about the level, but I am quite sure not all of these six teams are that good to make the championship more competitive.

• 1st round:

17-October

Arda - Neftochimik 2010 1-3 (21-25, 14-25, 25-21, 21-25) stats
    CSKA - Dobrudzha 07 1-3 (16-25, 23-25, 25-20, 20-25) stats
    Montana - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo 3-0 (25-19, 25-18, 25-16) stats

18-October

Marek Union-Ivkoni - Pirin 3-2 (25-19, 22-25, 19-25, 25-22, 15-12) stats
    Minyor - Levski Ball 3-0 (25-18, 25-18, 25-20) stats

• After much ado, some questions regarding the league and some particular teams have been answered days and hours before the first matches. Two of the main medal contenders last year, Levski Ball and Coco Volley Club Gabrovo, will probably be the two weakest teams in the championship this season as they mostly participate with local juniors. It wasn't certain if Levski will take place at all, their head coach Nikolay Zhelyazkov resigned after several practices only, he was fast replaced by Petar Shopov, who has been an assistant in female teams in recent years. The first round results quite vividly reflect how many problems these two teams are going to have.

Meanwhile, the other teams made some interesting transfers and some, like Montana, used the chance to sign 5-6 of Levski's released players. Some experts hurried to announce Marek as the new champion, but I wouldn't rush into doing so.

Marek Union-Ivkoni kept its main roster. Todor Valchev returned after a year in Turkey. The disputed Kadankov was released, Zlatan Yordanov was transferred to Turkey.

CSKA rely heavily on youngsters. Hristo Tsvetanov (ex-NT MB) returns to the club at which he once started his professional career. Ivaylo Stefanov is still competing at the age of 41 or 42. The rest are players from our Junior and Youth NT.

Neftochimik, Pirin and Dobrudzha also made interesting teams and I expect maybe two of them to appear on the podium at the end of the season. Ivan Stanev returned to Burgas, Plamen Dragiev is enjoying a good start, Samunev and Bogdanov are not amazing but will get the job done. Pirin can use some of their youngsters who returned from Dobrudzha (Zhelyazkov, Chalakov) and Gabrovo (Gadzhanov). With Alex Simeonov as OH, Pirin should win many points, the tie-break lost against Marek is just a signal for the champions that it won't be too easy this year.

Dobrudzha contracted Ventsislav Ragin (MB), Kostadin Stoykov (OPP/OH) and Dimitar Marinkov (OH). They have the potential to be a medal favourite. The win in Sofia against CSKA proves it.

Arda and Montana are also interesting teams that deserve some attention and are not to be underestimated. I was even surprised Neftochimik took all three points in Kardzhali, normally they play very difficult there. I don't remember the last time Neftochimik took three points against Arda away.

Last, we have a newcomer Minyor from Pernik. The town near Sofia is an incubator for many talents over the years, mainly from the past, however. It is a volleyball place and I am happy they are back in the top league. A great start of the new campaign at home against a rejuvenated Levski.

As you know, there are hundreds of uncertainties regarding the rosters. No one publishes them because no one has them. I am almost ready with the list, I lack only those of Levski and Minyor. As you can see, there was also no stats sheet from that specific game. I will publish the rosters as soon as I am sure they are valid. The guys from the Volleyball Manager will receive them, too.

Overall, it is difficult to say whether the league is stronger or not compared to last year. I think the level should be more or less the same. But I expect a much more balanced championship with some teams closing the gap to Marek.

• 2nd round:

24-October

Levski Ball - Pirin 2-3 (21-25, 25-20, 25-21, 16-25, 7-15) stats
    Neftochimik 2010 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 3-1 (22-25, 25-18, 26-24, 25-21) stats

25-October

Minyor - Montana 1-3 (28-26, 18-25, 18-25, 23-25)

27-October

Dobrudzha 07 - Arda 3-2 (25-11, 24-26, 23-25, 25-20, 15-10) stats

The game Coco Volley Club Gabrovo vs. CSKA has been postponed due to heavy snow conditions in the country.

Standings:

1 - Montana 6
    2 - Neftochimik 2010 6
    3 - Dobrudzha 07 5
    4 - Minyor 3
    5 - Pirin 3
    6 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 2
    7 - Arda 1
    8 - Levski Ball 1
    9 - CSKA (-1) 0
    10-Coco Volley Club Gabrovo (-1) 0

• The problems for the back-to-back champions have already started. As I warned, Marek had huge trouble in Burgas and returned home empty-handed. Especially impressive was the block performance of Neftochimik - 20 stuff blocks in four sets. Overall it was a result that confirmed my expectations for the new season. Neftochimik should finish in the medal zone, I expect them to reach an eventual final with Marek. The champions lost their main opposite Todor Valchev who is having a try-out session in Iran. In case he signs, they will struggle to find a proper replacement and might face further difficulties in the long run. In Burgas one of the usual OHs Georgi Elchinov was switched to the opposite position. He did a fine job, though.

• BULGARIAN SUPERLEAGUE
    2014-2015
    TEAM ROSTERS

------------
    Marek Union-Ivkoni Dupnitsa

Head coach: Nayden Naydenov
    ------------
    Setters: Gjorgi Gjorgiev (F.Y.R. Of Macedonia), Yordan Peev, Vladimir Lobutov
    Opposites: Mihael Mandzhukov, Todor Valchev (signed in Iran), Dimitar Dulchev, Ivan Krachev
    Attackers: Georgi Elchinov, Angel Velkov, Stanislav Velichkov, Mihail Tsvetanov
    Middle blockers: Ventsislav Trifonov, Martin Ivanov, Borislav Apostolov, Pavel Dushkov, Georgi Mihaylov
    Libero: Martin Bozhilov

------------
    Coco Volley Club Gabrovo

Head coach: Lyubomir Gerassimov
    ------------
    Setters: Nikolay Kichukov, Dimitar Bozhilov
    Opposites: Krasimir Stefanov, Nikolay Lekov (OPP/MB), Stefan Ivanov
    Attackers: Stoyan Vuldzhev, Iliyan Georgiev, Kostadin Bishurov, Stiliyan Yordanov
    Middle blockers: Ivan Vlasev, Lyubomir Hristov, Tomislav Vrachev, Mariyan Danovski
    Libero: Asen Dapev

------------
    CSKA Sofia

Head coach: Alexander Popov
    ------------
    Setters: Georgi Seganov, Vladimir Stankov, Iliya Nikolov
    Opposites: Milen Georgiev, Milen Iliev, Radoslav Parapunov
    Attackers: Ivaylo Stefanov, Velizar Kyossev, Veselin Iliev, Yani Georgiev, Plamen Shekerdzhiev, Ivan Kostov, Boyko Bonev
    Middle-blockers: Krasimir Georgiev, Andrey Nikolov, Hristo Tsvetanov, Todor Kostov, Zhivko Ivanov
    Liberos: Anton Vasiliev, Mihail Valchkovski, Martin Ivanov

------------
    Pirin Razlog

Head coach: Yordan Mitsin
    ------------
    Setters: Chono Penchev, Evgeni Grigorov, Lyubomir Velichkov
    Opposites: Yordan Zhelyazkov, Norman Nedkov, Ventsislav Georgiev
    Attackers: Blagovest Katrandzhiev, Alexander Simeonov, Iliyan Bozhkov, Boyan Ivanov
    Middle blockers: Kostadin Gadzhanov, Georgi Chalakov, Martin Krastev, Martin Paliyski
    Liberos: Petar Karakashev, Dafin Kotsakov

------------
    Neftochimik 2010 Burgas

Head coach: Petyo Dragiev
    ------------
    Setters: Ivan Stanev, Neno Toskov
    Opposites: Georgi Petrov, Petar Hristov
    Attackers: Plamen Dragiev, Andrey Nikolov, Stoyan Zlatev, Kostadin Nikolov (OH/OPP)
    Middle blockers: Stoyan Samunev, Georgi Dimitrov, Teodor Bogdanov, Vasiliy Petrov
    Libero: Hristo Velkov

------------
    Levski Ball Sofia

Head coach: Petar Shopov
    ------------
    Setters: Pavel Ivanov, Tsvetan Todorov, Nikolay Manchev
    Opposites: Alexander Mitkov
    Attackers: Danail Buchkov, Martin Atanasov, Georgi Mihalev, Kamen Tsvetkov, Martin Pavlov
    Middle blockers: Bozhidar Danchev, Alexander Grozdanov, Strahil Svilenski
    Liberos: Lazar Kirov, Georgi Naydenov

------------
    Montana

Head coach: Atanas Petrov
    ------------
    Setters: Lyubomir Agontsev, Denimir Dimitrov
    Opposites: Mincho Minchev, Tsanko Tsankov
    Attackers: Branimir Baev, Yavor Genov, Zlatko Kyossev, Trifon Lapkov
    Middle blockers: Denis Chavdarov, Ivan Latunov, Nikolay Kartev
    Liberos: Dobromir Ivanov, Georgi Georgiev, Ivaylo Lalov

------------
    Arda Kardzhali

Head coach: Ivan Halachev
    ------------
    Setters: Delcho Raev, Tedy Dremsizov
    Opposites: Spas Bayrev, Tihomir Georgiev
    Attackers: Neven Neshev (OH/OPP), Kiril Hadzhiev, Kristiyan Penchev, Simeon Topuzliev
    Middle-blockers: Mladen Kavaldzhiev, Petar Bachvarov, Vasil Atanasov
    Liberos: Nikolay Kolev, Enis Esmail, Teodor Marinov

------------
    Dobrudzha 07 Dobrich

Head coach: Miroslav Zhivkov
    ------------
    Setters: Stefan Stoyanov, Hristo Enkov, Dobroslav Dobrev, Georgi Manchev
    Opposites: Zhulien Georgiev, Kostadin Stoykov (OPP/OH)
    Attackers: Valentin Dimov, Dimitar Marinkov, Todor Dimitrov, Petar Milushev, Vangel Velinov, Ivaylo Kalev
    Middle blockers: Ventsislav Ragin, Svetoslav Arnaudov, Iliya Petkov, Ivaylo Velikov
    Liberos: Nikolay Todorov, Hristo Hristov

------------
    Minyor Pernik

Head coach: Rumen Zlatanov
    ------------
    Setters: Dimitar Stamenov, Viktor Kostadinov, Stiliyan Asenov
    Opposites: Lyuboslav Simeonov, Radostin Denkov, Alexander Petrov
    Attackers: Kamen Kamenov, Martin Simeonov, Vladislav Bojikov
    Middle blockers: Ivan Kovachev, Zahari Nikolaev, Tancho Ivanov, Adrian Anachkov
    Liberos: Viktor Zhechev, Antonio Ivanov

• Did Valchev signed in Iran?

No one knows for sure, but he is still there and for the time being Marek are playing with the OH Elchinov as an opposite. I watched them yesterday against Dobrudzha, they have zero chances in their Champions League group. Marek is weaker compared to last year and perhaps only the matches against Teruel will be more dramatic. Without a regular opposite, they struggle even in our league so far.

• 3rd round:

31-October

Montana - Levski Ball 3-0 (25-12, 25-13, 25-10) stats
    Arda - Coco Volley Club Gabrovo 3-0 (25-21, 25-13, 25-18 ) stats
    Pirin - Neftochimik 2010 3-0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-22) stats

1-November

CSKA - Minyor 3-0 (25-20, 25-20, 25-21) stats

2-November

Marek Union-Ivkoni - Dobrudzha 07 3-2 (22-25, 25-20, 21-25, 25-20, 15-10) stats

Standings:

1 - Montana 9
    2 - Pirin 6
    3 - Dobrudzha 07 6
    4 - Neftochimik 2010 6
    5 - Marek Union-Ivkoni 4
    6 - Arda 4
    7 - CSKA (-1) 3
    8 - Minoyr 3
    9 - Levski Ball 1
    10-Coco Volley Club Gabrovo (-1) 0

• A good weekend for home teams. Two matches mainly attracted attention. A very important and a bit surprising win for Pirin against in-form Neftochimik. It's always difficult to play in Razlog, but following the 3-2 away win versus Levski, Pirin were expected to have more trouble in this round. Still, they made a great first home game. Neftochimik showed again their greatest weakness - to play away from home. In the other interesting game Marek were forced to play another tie-break at home (the first also won against Pirin). A very shaky start for the back-to-back champions. They look fragile, besides they don't have a powerful opposite. Mandzhukov and Dulchev are both young and inexperienced, apart from probably lacking the class to play at international level. Elchinov is struggling, he might do the job in the league, but in Europe they can only dream against Teruel. Lokomotiv Novosibirsk will have no issues to take three points even with the bench players.

Montana is the surprising leader after three rounds, but they are yet to play more serious teams. They won all 9 points against the current last three teams in the standings.

Next week we have a very tense match in Dobrich between Dobrudzha and Pirin. Two teams that appear to have medal ambitions.

• Yavor, where does Krasi Gaydarski play this season? Since I remember well he played in Gabrovo last season and I don't see him in any team roster here...