World Cup 2011

• Even Lasko! :lol:

Anyway, Russia tied, but I'm still disappointed. Expected them to be much better. Zaytsev's on fire, though.

Yes, Russia didn't show something extraordinary. Italy helped them a lot- made too many mistakes and didn't block well.

• Poland - Cuba
    Congrats to all Polish people here, a nice victory for the start of the Championship. Cuba aren't the competitive team they used to be and without a setter and MBs they won't probably win more than 2 games in the first phase. Zagumny :obey: :obey: :obey: . Polish attackers made from 13 points to 9(13, 12, 11, 10, 9)!!! Zagumny introduces so much calmness in the team, he is so classy. You can be a contender for the top 3 with him. I don't know why Kurek didn't play but you have Winiarski and Kubiak so no big deal for the easier matches.
    Italy - Russia
    I haven't seen so many twist and turns in the result for a long time. Russia didn't show their best, but Italy didn't take advantage of it. Lasko made one of the matches of his life, Zaytsev played well, too, but Savani underachieved (or better, he played in his standard level which is not that good...). Mikhaylov is clear to everybody but Butko was impressive - he totally outplayed Travica. I don't know why Berruto don't play more with Parodi but this is a problem for the Italian NT and the Italians.
    btw. Savani without beard looks like the Bulgarian actor and singer Stefan Vuldobrev in his younger years.

• Press conference: Debut of Captain Planet
    Poland coach Andrea Anastasi states: "I'm happy for this first victory. This is a difficult tournament. We played good today. We had strong concentration. This is what is most important".

Cuba coach Orlando Samuells: "We had too many unforced errors today. We didn't create our own rhythm. Our performance was very bad. They played well and this was the reason for the result. We have a young team and this tournament is a good chance for them to gain experience".

Poland captain Marcin Mozdzonek: "We played well. Our tactics were good and focused. We did a great job with attack, service and defense. So I am pleased with the victory".

Cuba captain Wilfredo Leon: "Today was the first game. Things didn't go as we expected. We have a young team. The first game is always like this. We must change our mind-set for the next game tomorrow".

I agree with Orlando, errors lead to the result, maybe the ending began to reveal since the first two shot-outs by Mesa.

Poland - Cuba
    Congrats to all Polish people here, a nice victory for the start of the Championship. Cuba aren't the competitive team they used to be and without a setter and MBs they won't probably win more than 2 games in the first phase. Zagumny :obey: :obey: :obey: . Polish attackers made from 13 points to 9(13, 12, 11, 10, 9)!!! Zagumny introduces so much calmness in the team, he is so classy. You can be a contender for the top 3 with him. I don't know why Kurek didn't play but you have Winiarski and Kubiak so no big deal for the easier matches.
    Italy - Russia
    I haven't seen so many twist and turns in the result for a long time. Russia didn't show their best, but Italy didn't take advantage of it. Lasko made one of the matches of his life, Zaytsev played well, too, but Savani underachieved (or better, he played in his standard level which is not that good...). Mikhaylov is clear to everybody but Butko was impressive - he totally outplayed Travica. I don't know why Berruto don't play more with Parodi but this is a problem for the Italian NT and the Italians.
    btw. Savani without beard looks like the Bulgarian actor and singer Stefan Vuldobrev in his younger years.

Kurek is still not allowed to play on court, due to his back injury.
    Expect him in the 3 or 4 round? Maybe.

Savani today played terribly. It seems that his power was given to Lasko, who is a monster today. However, Lasko failed to rescue his team.
    Actually, Mikhaylov and Butko have little chemistry. They spoiled many chances in the rallies. Grankin seems better now. Perhaps World Cup is too much for Butko as a starting setter.

Zagumny is 'out of competition'. Thanks to him we can score high place.
    And I really like Nowakowski game. He can jump so high...

Totally agree! I may like or love some guys, but as for Zagumny, I always worship him, his skills, his attitute, his confidence.
    Nowakowski is overwhelming today. In fact I'd like to paraphrase it as "He and Zagumny are overwhelming today", because they demolished the middle of the net. I still remember a spike by Nowakowski which is about 2.5m from the net. It's like a back-court attack and Zagumny set it for him so exactly. It's just spectacular!
    8 spikes out 9 total attempts. That's what he deserves.

• very solid stuff from Poland and precious 3 points against strong opponent. we played good match and Cuba helped us a lot with countless mistakes in service and attack. we had fantastic reception(for a change :lol: ) so Zagumny distributed balls really well lots of points throught the middle and our MB were unstoppable especially Nowakowski who is in fantastic shape lately both in NT and in Plus Liga. Winiarski was our best wing spiker very smart play, he rarely spike with full power he likes to play with block tip the ball over and his technique is one of the best in the world, beautiful at the reception really good effort by him. was a bit dissapointed with Kubiak he didn't contributed as much as in previous matches in NT but he was stable at the reception which helped the team a lot-needs to work on his service we need it against stronger oppenets. Bartman was really bad dunno why he was chosen MVP of this match, very soft attack too secure for my taste, ive never really liked him as a player he has some good moments sometimes even he plays well throughtout whole matches but overall i find him as the weakest link in our team.

about Argentina i was not suprised by their win AT ALL(maybe by the score in each sets)-this team improved tremendously over the last 2 seasons and they are force to be recon with. i havebn't seen the match but by the lookof the score Argentina is sending clear message to all other teams to not underestimate them.

i watched some bits from Italy Russia(shame this match started at the same time as Poland -Cuba) and boy how horrible Travica is. he is not fast nore accurate he is soo avarage and it's a shame that there aren't better players in Italy than him. if his tactic is to send preatty much all thge balls to Lasko then let it be it but someone needs to remind him that he has really good MB in his team and it's OK to use them a wee bit more

Anyone can support a team that is winning - it takes no courage. But to
    stand behind a team to defend a team when it is down and really needs
    you, that takes a lot of courage.

• Cuba are even worse than I expected :white: Hernandez, Hernandez and just sometimes Leon for some variety. Orlando Samuells looked so desparately resigned all the time during the match. As for Poland - Great Zagumny :obey: The way this man cooparates with MBs is just genius! Delightful setter! I still can't beleive they gave the round pink thing to Bartman :aww: It was totally Nowakowski's day. He was amazingly effective both in block and attack :super: Bartman did so many mistakes in attack, I haven't seen the stats but it was so obvious. If he goes on the same way it may be a big problem for the team in more tied matches, especially knowing who is his backup. Winiarski did well, very useful and Kubiak enough to help the team.

Haven't watched the match Serbia-Argentina but I'm not surprised, expected loss for Serbia.

Watching Russia in the game with italy, they didn't seem so scary to me. Italians definately had their chances, Lasko was sooo on fire, but other spikers missed the necessary efficiency. On the other side Butko wasn't that bad, there was variety in his setting and Russians also were much better on block.

Wild Wild West!

..............................................................................................

" There is nothing better than this"

..............................................................................................

• Srb 0-3 Arg :white:

I'm shocked ! 8| ?(

I am not. Teams who rely on their block and serve to win will have very tough times with Argentina, like we did at the Final 8 of the World League 2011 Poland

• Zagumny is 'out of competition'. Thanks to him we can score high place.
    And I really like Nowakowski game. He can jump so high...

Polish Todorov (jumping icon)
    P.S. By looking Russian players physique and players from other countries like Italy who look like children compared to them, I feel it is a shame that only in Russia the players put some real weight on the bar, probably deadlifting with 200 kg, instead of 20 like I saw Matey Kaziyski doing. 200 kg for 100 kg person at 2.00 m is nothing, even for the natural sportsman. The volleyball players only make toning so they can jump high and have endurance and nothing else matters, or at least it looks like that when you compare Maxim Mihaylov to Lasko. Fucking around in the gym, that's it.

• Fei played as MB? I've read the stat and also Lasko was playing in the same time

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Very slow tempo of the game in Japan - Iran match, so prolonged. Some of the rallies reminded me of a female match. I don't know why I expected more from the team of Japan. At least there was some atmosphere in the hall, comparing to the previous matches, where I could hear almost every single noise. It is interesting how will go on Iran in this tournament.

Loca inside , yes Fei played as an MB but Travica didn't give him a lot of chances to shine at all :roll: , but Lasko was just outstanding today :thumbsup:

Wild Wild West!

• about Serbia-Argentina: I didn't think that Argentina could win either, but that is because I feel pretty much pessimistic about my teams, but it's also true that Argentina beat 2 times Serbia in WL, true that they didn't have Ivan back then and they changed a lot with him, but well, Argentina is NOT THAT bad :P I was mainly worried on the kids' "mind". the thing that they're all so young clearly helps sometimes but some other times of course they make a lot of mistakes because they feel the pressure. so I'm always pessimistic mainly for their attitude towards the match, because I know that when they play at their best they can be pretty good. De Cecco is so good and I was impressed by the blocks :O 12 :O

and boy how horrible Travica is. he is not fast nore accurate he is soo avarage and it's a shame that there aren't better players in Italy than him. if his tactic is to send preatty much all thge balls to Lasko then let it be it but someone needs to remind him that he has really good MB in his team and it's OK to use them a wee bit more

MY THOUGHTS EXACTLY.
    Of course I don't think he's the only reason why we lost the match this morning (...all those mistakes at serving, first of all), but he "helps" a lot for sure -.-"

• My guys :heart: Two best things I noticed were that we didn't make so many mistakes as we used to make and all team was in game and number of scored points by every player shows it. Our middle is SMASHING. I have an impression that since Captain Planet is our captain his game is more... hmm, solid? Thought? Except his "setting" of course, I think this element will stay like that forever if it comes to Możdżonek :lol:
    Nowakowski - cuban jumper on our side of the court :obey: I want to see one day Czarnowski and Nowakowski playing as a pair of middles 'cause Czarnowski has impressive jump as well.
    Winiarski... His brilliance is back. I have wited for so long. Kubi smart as always :thumbsup:
    Zibi will play better. I believe in this guy ;) He improved his serve so it was a big plus, already.
    And how could I end my post without mentioning our smallest sunshine - Igła. Him and Zagumny are real masters in our team, I can't imagine playing without these two :obey:

Cubans unbelievably helpless... I want to see some stats to know how many mistakes did they make.

I probably felt asleep and haven't really seen the match, have I?
    OMG I'M SO HAAAAAAPPY.
    clearly Serbia didn't play good. Last time I saw them was the final at the ECh and they looked like another team.oh and what happened to Nikola Kovacevic, is he injuried? :what:
    I don't know what to say, it's 4am here and I'm glad I stayed up to watch this match.
    Conte MVP, anyway.

I told you don't doubt in Argentina to early ;) Good job, Argentinian guys!

Even Lasko! :lol:

Anyway, Russia tied, but I'm still disappointed. Expected them to be much better. Zaytsev's on fire, though.

I don't know what you guys have against Łasko :P He is very stable and solid player. There is very small number of matches I remember in which Łasko didn't help his team or visibly was sucks.

Poland - Cuba

Thanks for congrats ;)
    Kurek will be ready soon. I know it. We have so strong outside-hitters now that we was able to win the match without our star. Can you see it? Not so long time ago it was hard to imagine our team without Kurek and today as our commentator said "he didn't even take off his blouse". He just stoodd in the square for bench player and smiled like crazy :D

Cuba are even worse than I expected :white: Hernandez, Hernandez and just sometimes Leon for some variety. Orlando Samuells looked so desparately resigned all the time during the match. As for Poland - Great Zagumny :obey: The way this man cooparates with MBs is just genius! Delightful setter! I still can't beleive they gave the round pink thing to Bartman :aww: It was totally Nowakowski's day. He was amazingly effective both in block and attack :super: Bartman did so many mistakes in attack, I haven't seen the stats but it was so obvious. If he goes on the same way it may be a big problem for the team in more tied matches, especially knowing who is his backup. Winiarski did well, very useful and Kubiak enough to help the team.

Zibi looked as he couldn't believe it as well :lol:

• Zagumny won the game for Poland and of course Cuba helped, poor guys, they deserve better

• Serbia came to Japan one day before the first match versus Argentina so..
    I think tomorrow They will play like Euro Champ.

• Totally agree with you all, guys. Zagumny is the man, he is our brain, literally. I was also extremly delighted by him. Genius setter. He's our leader in every possible aspect. Good to see him in the team again. Imo he's the guy, who makes the biggest difference in our team.

I'm really happy with today's victory, very easy and fast match, good job guys, especially Nowakowski, Zagumny and Winiarski. I liked them the most. Beautiful cooperation by with middles, brilliant attacks by Nowakowski, he was the true MVP today. I'm definitely among the people who were surprised with chosing Bartman as the MVP, he was not even close to such a great level of game like Nowakowski or Winiarski. Hopefully he will improve, we need him in a good shape.
    As someone already mentioned- it was very visible that we reduced the number of unforced errors. After first two sets we had 10 on our account. Really unbelievable :D
    Also our reception was just brilliant today, just perfect, Paweł could play whatever he wanted.

As all of you noticed, Cuba wasn't a competitive team at all. Lots of mistakes, lack of concentration, their coach was totally helpless, his time outs and substitutions did nothing. Too bad, there was only Hernandez, who was trying to do something with his game, and maybe Leon sometimes. The rest seemed to be in a totally different world.

I have watched 2 sets from Argentina-Serbia, and in fact the victory itself wasn't surprising at all, but the way Argentina won/Serbia lost was, indeed.
    Argentines played a very solid game, it's always a pleasure to watch these guys in action, but Serbia, just like Cuba, wasn't a competitive team today. Lots of mistakes, they looked really sluggish. Definitely, I would like to see Serbians playing better, I expect them to improve and have a very competitive game against them. Serbia may be even more difficult opponent today considering their loss against Argentina today. Second defeat in such an early stage of the tournament could have uhmm...a little unpleasent consequences later, so I definitely expect Serbia to be a different team tomorrow.

• brilliant attacks by Nowakowski, he was the true MVP today. I'm definitely among the people who were surprised with chosing Bartman as the MVP, he was not even close to such a great level of game like Nowakowski or Winiarski. Hopefully he will improve, we need him in a good shape.

Actually almost all starters of Polish team deserved more than Bartman, of course Nowakowski on the first place! Totally illogical decision to me. I know that this is not the most important thing, but after having decided to hand such a prize, they should do it more conscientiously. And this raises the question: Who decides to whom to go the MVP award after the match? Journalists, organizers?

As all of you noticed, Cuba wasn't a competitive team at all. Lots of mistakes, lack of concentration, their coach was totally helpless, his time outs and substitutions did nothing. Too bad, there was only Hernandez, who was trying to do something with his game, and maybe Leon sometimes. The rest seemed to be in a totally different world.

I have watched 2 sets from Argentina-Serbia, and in fact the victory itself wasn't surprising at all, but the way Argentina won/Serbia lost was, indeed.
    Argentines played a very solid game, it's always a pleasure to watch these guys in action, but Serbia, just like Cuba, wasn't a competitive team today. Lots of mistakes, they looked really sluggish. Definitely, I would like to see Serbians playing better, I expect them to improve and have a very competitive game against them. Serbia may be even more difficult opponent today considering their loss against Argentina today. Second defeat in such an early stage of the tournament could have uhmm...a little unpleasent consequences later, so I definitely expect Serbia to be a different team tomorrow.

Yes, for Serbia for sure there is still hope they will show how has to play the European champion, but unfortunately I can't see a lot of chances for Cuba to become a compatitive participant, they have too serious problems and I am afriad they may totally 'collapse' in this tournament...I hope I am wrong.

Ok, this kinda cheered me: Japan coach Tatsuya Ueta: "The first set went well. After the second set our passing and receiving didn't work well. We have to perform our tactics. We expected in this tournament that we would have a chance to book our ticket to the Olympics. Now we have many strong teams in front of us".

:what:
    Really? In competition with Brazil, USA, Russia, Italy, Poland, Serbia and Argentina and only three qoutas for the Games? Interesting :D

Wild Wild West!

• Ok, this kinda cheered me: Japan coach Tatsuya Ueta: "The first set went well. After the second set our passing and receiving didn't work well. We have to perform our tactics. We expected in this tournament that we would have a chance to book our ticket to the Olympics. Now we have many strong teams in front of us".

Good news. I'm expecting a really tough battle against Japan. This statement gives me lots of hope, come on Japan!

• Some impressions from me :D

I've watched Serbia - Argentina, Poland-Cuba and Iran- Nippon :teach:

First of all nice match by Poles but I wouldn't make some big conclusions or predictions. Cuba isn't shadow of team that ruled last year, Leal, Simon and Camejo are huge missings especially Simon and Camejo. Cuba is virtually w/o MB, they looked funny last night. I'm quite sure Nowakowski wouldn't have such stats with Simon and Camejo on other side ;) Anastasi is a great tactician, Poland plays more careful than in previous years - I mean on UE.

Argentina knocked out Serbia. Serbia had only one block and ace (both by Miljković) and with that stats they couldnt cope with Argentina. Tommorow I expect new/old Serbia ;) Argentinians just continued where they stopped this summer ;)

Julio Velasco :obey: great coach, he improved Iranian game to respectable level so I expect they will surprise here. Today aftebyr Bazargaard came in Iran turned match but I'm really impressed with really small number of their mistakes. On other side Nippon made 30 UE, simply unbelieveable for them. They looked very poor, Fukuzawa was just awful and Shimizu lacks matches. Ueta said nice joke that they want to qualify for OG :rolll:

• Does anyone know what happened with Dante? On the press conference after the match with Egypt Rezende has said: "We hope Dante [Amaral] is not injured, if he is we will miss him." and that's all ?( . And when I look at the stats, he has played only first two sets and obviously didn't appear in the third one, he has 4 points, here is the scheme: http://www.fivb.org/vis_web/volley/MWC2011/pdf/P2-006.pdf
    Any further information about him? :S

Wild Wild West!