World Cup 2011

• It is strange that Riad is not in the squad. He is the MB with the strongest spike.

May I play a little of devil's advocate here? If you guys feel that way about Fei - which I actually think it's totally justified on your part -, don't you think also he should be investing in another opposite instead of Lasko, as well? I mean, he's just about 3 years younger than Fei and he's not even that great. He hasn't even been close to being as good as Fei, and he's been called for NT since, what? 2003, 2005? So, following that idea, shouldn't Berruto try to invest in younger opposites? I know it's not that easy, Italy at the moment has better options as OH's, but I think one thing calls for the other. Mastrangelo is there for a reason as well, as you guys pointed. The other MB's are not very good, compared to him. So, what to make of it?

Definitely agree with you!
    We have a team made of only italians, called Club Italia, which is in A2, the players are about 20 years old (except one of the setters) and I go to see them often because they play in Roma. they have some players I think that can make our future, like Vettori who's their opposite, but Sabbi is good too, so I think that they will be the two of the NT in a couple of years, or that's what I hope at least. Of course I can't judge properly because of course he plays A2, Sabbi came to A1 this year and I hope that after these 2 years at Club Italia Vettori will be in A1 too. Though of course I don't think he will make it for the Olympics, if we qualify we'll have Lasko and Sabbi I guess....
    Also I was impressed by Mazzone, one of their MB. If I'm not wrong both Vettori and Mazzone were called on the first list of the NT for the World League last year, so I guess that Berruto agrees with me :lol: (though I noticed on the stats of Legavolley that Valsecchi, the other MB of Club Italia, is 2nd on the chart of best MB of the season... http://www.legavolley.it/Rendi…&Fase=1&Giornata=0&Pos=20 here)
    A couple of weeks ago Berruto came to Roma and saw a match of Club Italia, I hope that at least for the World League next year he will call some of those younger guys... the team last year was pretty bad, they lost almost every match,but this year they're doing better, of couse when you see them you see that they lack of experience, they do stupid mistakes and lose sets especially when they're like 24-23 and they get nervous on those moments.
    I guess it's a good project, because probably in many other teams they wouldn't have played much, this is also I think the problem of our Serie A... since it's one of the best in the world we have a lot of foreigners and a lot of old players (thinking about us mostly... we have Cisolla -.-), so teams tend to make the older ones play more.

• May I play a little of devil's advocate here? If you guys feel that way about Fei - which I actually think it's totally justified on your part -, don't you think also he should be investing in another opposite instead of Lasko, as well? I mean, he's just about 3 years younger than Fei and he's not even that great. He hasn't even been close to being as good as Fei, and he's been called for NT since, what? 2003, 2005? So, following that idea, shouldn't Berruto try to invest in younger opposites?

You're right, but Lasko never had a chance before, so he is like "new", "younger" to me, even if he isn't so young! He is a CHANGMENT, that was the important thing imo. Changing the team, breathing fresh air (fresh not because young in this case, but because new)!!

And at the moment we have only one alternative to these two older player, Sabbi. (I hope Vettori will follow him right after the Olympics). I think that at the end of the season he will probably be ready to have an important role in the NT (like Ivan after the first year as OH in serie A1 with Rome: he didn't play much in the WCh, and now he is a certain in the NT, someone you can trust with no esitation.). I think that for now it is probably to much thinking to use him as titoular, so Lasko is the first choice. The problem is that imo Sabbi should be the second choice, while now he seems to be the third one because Fei is back. Sabbi needs of opportunties to play, imo, and I hope the fact we have 3 opposite won't prevet that in certain "easier" matches.

And the fact we want Fei prevent to have Barone in the 14 list :(

Vettori who's their opposite, but Sabbi is good too, so I think that they will be the two of the NT in a couple of years, or that's what I hope at least.

I agree!!

• Brasil NT will train for 4 days in Tours.

Tours's headcoach French-Brazilian Mauricio Paes used to invite Brazil NT to Paris for training session, so despite his change of club, Brazil NT is still welcomed in France!

• It is strange that Riad is not in the squad. He is the MB with the strongest spike.

I think so too. I always liked Riad very much, way before he moved to Italy. Unfortunately, he wasn't very lucky. When he started being successful here in Brazil, MB's from the team were set in stone: André Heller, Gustavo and Rodrigão. We also had Henrique. Maybe he was called for trainings once or twice, I actually don't recall this. But then, all those other great MB's appeared and Riad coulnd't really show what he's got in Trentino. (Though we know that being a starter in the most successful club worldwide doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll have a shot in the brazilian NT. :roll: )

Next season, he'll be a starter, I expect, in RJX, the hot new team in Brazil. I don't expect him to break the barrier and join the NT, but I at least think he can be very successful here, playing with a lot of great other teamates.

By the way, thanks to elisewin16 and Kk15 for the answers about the italian opposite discussion. I tend to agree with Kaziyski, about Fei being the best, though. If it was up to me, opposites would be Fei and one of the youngsters.

• Though we know that being a starter in the most successful club worldwide doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll have a shot in the brazilian NT.

It is so good to be a Brazilian volleyball fan, so many quality players :drink:

• By the way, thanks to elisewin16 and Kk15 for the answers about the italian opposite discussion. I tend to agree with Kaziyski, about Fei being the best, though. If it was up to me, opposites would be Fei and one of the youngsters.

You're welcome, thanks to you for helping the conversation! :D

About Fei being the best italian opposite also now, it's probably true. But can he play at his the best in 11 matches on 14 days?

BTW, I think that the NT shouldn't only think about being the best team possible in that moment (= having the most valuable players of the nation in that specific moment). This is ok for a club, that can chose every season his players and can change them. But in a NT you also have to train a new generation, you have to chose 'fresh' players that aim for new challenge, and that can afford the phisical (and also phsycological and "focusing") effort of thight competition like the WC.

What I mean can probably be more clear if you think to our setter: is Travica better than Vermiglio? I don't think so, but can you say that Travica wasn't important for out team during the summer? He compensated his lack of precision with enthusiasm, blocks, aces and long serve run, aim to win etc... (elisewin won't be such agree with me about that, though :lol: )

• No, I understand. I definitely think it's a very good thing they're investing in people like Travica, Parodi, Zaytsev, etc. I think the italian NT can only benefit from that. But I think that if I'd chose between Lasko and Fei, I'd go with Fei, along with the other younger opposite.

• What's up with Kurek? Is he seriously injured or he will be OK for the WC?

We keep talking about it in thread Polish NT so you're welcome there. But answering you're question, he feels a lot better now, today he will try to serve and spike on a training. Chances for him coming to Japan have increased significantly over the past few days. It's nothing very serious with him. He was just overloaded and his spine finally couldn't stand so it admonished for rest ;)

I think so too. I always liked Riad very much, way before he moved to Italy. Unfortunately, he wasn't very lucky. When he started being successful here in Brazil, MB's from the team were set in stone: André Heller, Gustavo and Rodrigão. We also had Henrique. Maybe he was called for trainings once or twice, I actually don't recall this. But then, all those other great MB's appeared and Riad coulnd't really show what he's got in Trentino. (Though we know that being a starter in the most successful club worldwide doesn't necessarily guarantee you'll have a shot in the brazilian NT. :roll: )

Next season, he'll be a starter, I expect, in RJX, the hot new team in Brazil. I don't expect him to break the barrier and join the NT, but I at least think he can be very successful here, playing with a lot of great other teamates.

By the way, thanks to elisewin16 and Kk15 for the answers about the italian opposite discussion. I tend to agree with Kaziyski, about Fei being the best, though. If it was up to me, opposites would be Fei and one of the youngsters.

Why you're so against Łasko? This guy waited for so long to be this first in his team. He finally is... And I'm glad he is.
    I have always like Fei so I was delighted hearing that he's back in team. And I though that now Italians will have two strong opposite which is good solution for such murderous tournament. I don't know which of these two will be the first but I think they will be a good complement for each other.
    And defending Łasko, maybe he isn't as brilliant as Fei and he will never be, but IMO he's strong point for his team. He is in a great shape, lately. I know it 'cause I watch regularly matches of Jastrzębski. And he does a priceless work for his team. He is just a solid player. Didn't he play good as a starter on WL, on ECH? Give him a chance. ;)

• Alekno announced 15 players, from this group out is Yury Berezhko.

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• We keep talking about it in thread Polish NT so you're welcome there. But answering you're question, he feels a lot better now, today he will try to serve and spike on a training. Chances for him coming to Japan have increased significantly over the past few days. It's nothing very serious with him. He was just overloaded and his spine finally couldn't stand so it admonished for rest ;)

Why you're so against Łasko? This guy waited for so long to be this first in his team. He finally is... And I'm glad he is.
    I have always like Fei so I was delighted hearing that he's back in team. And I though that now Italians will have two strong opposite which is good solution for such murderous tournament. I don't know which of these two will be the first but I think they will be a good complement for each other.
    And defending Łasko, maybe he isn't as brilliant as Fei and he will never be, but IMO he's strong point for his team. He is in a great shape, lately. I know it 'cause I watch regularly matches of Jastrzębski. And he does a priceless work for his team. He is just a solid player. Didn't he play good as a starter on WL, on ECH? Give him a chance. ;)

It's not a matter of being against him. I know he's a solid opposite. I just don't think he's an excellent option. If you compare him with other opposites of the best 8, 10 NT's in the world, you'll see he's not that special. At least IMO. He's better than the argentinian guy. I'm not sure he's better than any of the others. But he's what Italy's got, at this moment. I have nothing against him. I just find him an ok player. If Italy can find someone better, good for them.

• Serbian NT
    SE:
    Vlado Petković, Mihajlo Mitić, Nikola Jovović
    OPP: Ivan Miljković, Sasa Starović
    L: Nikola Rosić, Filip Vujić
    MB: Marko Podrascanin, Borislav Petrović, Dragan Stanković, Milan Rasić
    OH: Nikola Kovacević, Milos Nikić, Milos Terzić, Uros Kovacević, Milos Vemić

Is Sasa Starovic seriously ready for this tournament? ?( I thought he's out from volleyball for about half a year.
    So no Atanasijevic... I wonder how is he doing. Does anyone have any news about this guy? What's with his hand?

• Is Sasa Starovic seriously ready for this tournament? ?( I thought he's out from volleyball for about half a year.

He got injured in Serie A first round, not too long ago. And he has to rest for half a year.
    The next time we can see him should be the next year, maybe the Olympic.

Edit: Alright, I didn't read the roster carefully. I know what's confusing you, what the hell is Sasa doing in this roster!

• If he's not in the roster, with his hand is something serious or coach wants to give him a time to risk, because Alex is playing and playing without any breaks.

• Kolaković is weird. Can anybody tell me what the heck is going on? Why he called Sasha for NT? He was seriously injured not so long ago, he's after surgery, he needs to recover! He's surely not ready yet. It was said that Sasha will be out for about 6 months. Serie A started on October, now it's November, and he's supposed to be ready to go to Japan? I guess only as a tourist, 'cause letting him play during this tournament would be probably one of the most stupid things Kolaković could do.

Our boy has a way less serious injury than Sasha (thank God) and at the beginning it wasn't even sure whether he can go, now I see Sasha in Serbian roster, who had a nightmare injury, and still isn't fully recovered. I don't get it.

• No,no guys.this is serbian roster for WC:

TEHNIČARI: VLADO PETKOVIĆ (UMBRIJA VOLEJ, ITALIJA), MIHAJLO MITIĆ (CRVENA ZVEZDA) I NIKOLA JOVOVIĆ (FRIDRIHSHAFEN, NEMAČKA).

KOREKTORI: IVAN MILJKOVIĆ (FENERBAHČE ISTANBUL, TURSKA) I ALEKSANDAR ATANASIJEVIĆ (SKRA BELHATOV, POLJSKA).

LIBERA: NIKOLA ROSIĆ (FRIDRIHSHAFEN, NEMAČKA) I FILIP VUJIĆ (CRVENA ZVEZDA).

BLOKERI: DRAGAN STANKOVIĆ (LUBE MAĆERATA, ITALIJA),
    MARKO PODRAŠČANIN (LUBE MAĆERATA, ITALIJA), MILAN RAŠIĆ (ACH VOLEJ
    LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIJA) I BORISLAV PETROVIĆ (POATIJE, FRANCUSKA).

PRIMAČI: NIKOLA KOVAČEVIĆ (GUBERNIJA NJIŽNI
    NOVGOROD, RUSIJA), MILOŠ NIKIĆ (GABEKA PALAVOLO, ITALIJA), MILOŠ TERZIĆ
    (TUR, FRANCUSKA), UROŠ KOVAČEVIĆ (ACH VOLEJ LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIJA) I
    MILOŠ VEMIĆ (FRIDRIHSHAFEN, NEMAČKA). :)

• I knew, that this is it.

• Ok, so I kinda breathed a sigh of relief :) It is good not to see Sasha in this roster :) BUT........I'm still hesitating about Bato.
    Is he ok now? Serbian ppl, or anyone who can tell me something more about Alex- how does he feel? Is his hand alright?
    Some info, please :)

• Last I have heard is that Atanasijevic will play in Japan.Serbian NT doctor says that he is under therapy,and they constantly follow his situation,and think that he will be ready for WC.