2014 FIVB World Championship - Poland - 8/30

• The system of competition:

-24 Teams
    -1st round- 4 Groups with 6 Teams
    -Groups' draw to the 2nd round
    -2nd round- 2 Groups with 8 Teams- results from the 1st round will be count here
    -Quarter-Finals 1E-4F etc.
    -Semi-Finals
    -Finals

• the formula is decided so early?

• And we don't know which groups will be connected

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• This means 15 matches towards the final :what:

Polish PZPS with CEV and FIVB will prepare for Bulgaria little suprise. In the first round Bulgaria will play probably with Brazil, Russia and USA and in the 2nd round will play against Italy, Serbia, Cuba and Argentina. You know for Gold Team came Opponent is unimportant. [ :lol: ]

• This formula seems to be fair. I hope it will work properly. I don't want to have in Poland a circus like it was in Italy :wacko:

• Polish PZPS with CEV and FIVB will prepare for Bulgaria little suprise. In the first round Bulgaria will play probably with Brazil, Russia and USA and in the 2nd round will play against Italy, Serbia, Cuba and Argentina. You know for Gold Team came Opponent is unimportant. [ :lol: ]

Brazil didn't think that way last year :rolll:

only 12 !
    5 in first phase (in 6 teams group)
    4 in second round (with 4 teams from other group)
    1 in quarter-final
    1 in semi-final
    1 in final

FYG in WCH 2006 Japan Poland and Brazil had to play 11 matches !

• I thought that in the second phase everybody will play with everybody, now it looks normal :)

• In the 1st round We have group A B C and D.
    After all matches will be special draw.
    4 Teams from group A may play with 4 Teams from group B C or D. Special draw will show with which group will play f.ex group A.
    Is it clear now?

• I said it several times already, I still think it is true - the best competition formula is the one used in the Olympics. However, there is some more time to play games in a WCH, that's why they introduce more rounds, but I think 12 games for the champion is a bit too much. 8 is a very, very good number for the Olympic formula, I think the number for the WCH should be similar. Even 11 during the WCH 2006 was a bit too much, they can still reduce the number of games in the second round, for example. 9 or 10 games maximum should be perfect. But let's hope the Polish organizers won't allow Math to intervene with the pure game in 2014.

• I said it several times already, I still think it is true - the best competition formula is the one used in the Olympics. However, there is some more time to play games in a WCH, that's why they introduce more rounds, but I think 12 games for the champion is a bit too much. 8 is a very, very good number for the Olympic formula, I think the number for the WCH should be similar. Even 11 during the WCH 2006 was a bit too much, they can still reduce the number of games in the second round, for example. 9 or 10 games maximum should be perfect. But let's hope the Polish organizers won't allow Math to intervene with the pure game in 2014.

I totally agree with you, 12 matches are too much for a team to keep playing in top shape, unless the schedule is also extended and more rest days are involved.

• I totally agree with you, 12 matches are too much for a team to keep playing in top shape, unless the schedule is also extended and more rest days are involved.

I disagree 12 matches for WCH is ok - maybe a little bit too many ...
    Without second phase some good teams after one defeat could be eliminated!
    We cannot compare it to OG as in WCH we have 24 teams and in OG only 12 teams !

• Lausanne, Switzerland, March 16, 2012 - The FIVB and the Poland Volleyball Federation signed an FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship 2014 Organising Committee Agreement on Friday.

Poland was announced as hosts of the FIVB's premier event for men in 2008 but the Organising Committee Agreement signed between FIVB President Jizhong Wei and Poland Volleyball Federation president Miroslaw Przedpelski during the FIVB Executive Committee meeting taking place at the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne, Switzerland underpins the strutural competencies and responsibilities of the respective parties.

It will be the first time Poland has hosted an FIVB World Championship, which will feature 24 teams of which only the hosts are automatically qualified. The Preliminary Rounds for the 2014 World Championships will begin later this year with the registration process now open.

Volleyball in Poland has enjoyed a huge surge in popularity over the last few years with Gdansk hosting the spectacular 2011 World League Finals where the Polish men’s team finishing third while they collected silver at the FIVB World Championship 2006 in Japan and a year later Katowice hosted one of the best-ever FIVB World League Finals. Poland will also host the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2013.

The FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship 2014 will be hosted in Italy.

The Brazilian men’s team and Russian women’s team have claimed the gold medals at the last two editions (2010 and 2006) of the FIVB World Championships.

Source: FIVB

• NORCECA has already started the qualification process for their Round 1.

Group B April 27-29
    Pool Play
    Grenada 1-3 St. Vincent (25-23, 22-25, 19-25, 12-25)
    St. Lucia 3-0 St. Eustatius (25-9, 25-6, 25-9)
    Grenada 3-0 St. Eustatius (25-21, 25-13, 25-15)
    St. Lucia 3-0 St. Vincent (25-9, 25-22, 25-12)
    St. Vincent 3-0 St. Eustatius (25-17, 25-10, 25-18)
    St. Lucia 3-0 Grenada (25-22, 25-10, 25-19)

End of Pool Play Ranking
    1. St. Lucia, 9 pts
    2. St. Vincent, 6 pts
    3. Grenada, 3 pts
    4. St. Eustatius, 0 pts

SEMIFINALS
    St. Vincent 3-1 Grenada (27-25, 20-25, 25-22, 25-18)
    St. Lucia 3-0 St. Eustatius (25-4, 25-8, 25-13)

3RD PLACE
    Grenada 3-0 St. Eustatius (25-21, 25-14, 25-23)

1ST PLACE
    St. Vincent 0-3 St. Lucia (16-25, 18-25, 13-25)

TEAMS ADVANCING TO SECOND ROUND
    1. St. Lucia
    2. St. Vincent
    3. Grenada