Friendly matches

• Iran was with full squad?

Yes and I know they started the match with the best possible lineup , it's a little surprising result, just 2 weeks ago the same Turkey lost 3-1 to Iran U23 team, so either they improved a lot or Iranian players were still in bad mood after playing extremly weak teams in World Championship QT, or probably both.

Iran will play Bulgaria tomorrow, not sure if it's Bulgaria A team.

• Germany vs Italy today in Nordhausen.
    Second match tomorrow in Dessau.

• 16.3 Istanbul

Bulgaria 3-2 Iran (22-25, 18-25, 25-17, 25-18, 15-13 )

Friendlies do not normally mean too much, but I don't know what to think about the Bulgarian NT now that their preparation games are over. Vlado Nikolov, now as a team manager, said that against Turkey yesterday they experimented with the roster and the tactics a bit, totally unaware of the result. He said, however, that we should be worried if we lose against Iran. I don't know the lineups, haven't checked them yet neither yesterday, nor today, seems like against Iran there were two parts of the game. I am not really worried about results, it would all matter this weekend when we see whether they have finally improved their serve efficiency and counter attack transition. The big problem of this NT is psychological, this... I doubt Placci can fix on the run. It would be better to not expect much, otherwise another disappointment might follow.

• Friendlies do not normally mean too much, but I don't know what to think about the Bulgarian NT now that their preparation games are over. Vlado Nikolov, now as a team manager, said that against Turkey yesterday they experimented with the roster and the tactics a bit, totally unaware of the result. He said, however, that we should be worried if we lose against Iran. I don't know the lineups, haven't checked them yet neither yesterday, nor today, seems like against Iran there were two parts of the game. I am not really worried about results, it would all matter this weekend when we see whether they have finally improved their serve efficiency and counter attack transition. The big problem of this NT is psychological, this... I doubt Placci can fix on the run. It would be better to not expect much, otherwise another disappointment might follow.

Our biggest opponent will be the draw. Our fans will want to see nothing but a semifinal and with this draw, it will be more difficult to get to the semis than to win the title. So the players will experience external pressure from the beginning and that's not their favourite thing. Our mentality is good when we play teams considered too good for us or too weak for us, when we play vs considered as equal opponents and if we add the pressure - we always struggle. Russia doesn't fit this profile because it is not considered equal to us but our playing style is very similar and we have to outmuscle them - therefore we'd need more luck than a positive mentality and mindset to do this. I even think that we can lose vs Germany. The good thing is that Poland has the same mentality and if we meet in the 1/4s (if this is possible) the team considered to be the underdog will actually be the favourite. But I don't see how Russia can be stopped in this part of the draw. The only teams that IMO can do that are in the other draw - Italy and especially Serbia (whose mentality is the opposite of ours, they might surprise us negatively by losing to a huge underdog in the group phase and then beating Italy in the semi. They are doing the same thing atm in Eurobasket).

• AGAIN.... Italy and serbia are NOT in the same part of the draw, if they finish first in their groups they can meet in the final/ 3rd place match, but NOT in the semis...god, you are in a volleyball forum, be ashamed :)

Italy and Serbia are in the same part of the draw for the playoff phase. They can theoretically meet in the playoffs if Italy is 2nd and Serbia 3rd, for ex. Ofc, they won't. It's true that they cannot meet in the semi, but that's not my point.

My point is that Italy cannot face Bulgaria/Poland/Russia/France/Germany before the semifinal.

Bulgaria has to face either Poland or Russia in the quaterfinal.

Italy and Serbia have a red carpet clear path to the semis - which almost means to the medals.

• Here is the stats:
    Marked improvement in Sokolov's serve in another match and Nikolay Nikolov improves also

http://bgvolleyball.com/files/volleyball/stats/18620.pdf

• Too bad volleyball is so corrupted and that stops it to get bigger fan base

• Our biggest opponent will be the draw. Our fans will want to see nothing but a semifinal and with this draw, it will be more difficult to get to the semis than to win the title. So the players will experience external pressure from the beginning and that's not their favourite thing. Our mentality is good when we play teams considered too good for us or too weak for us, when we play vs considered as equal opponents and if we add the pressure - we always struggle. Russia doesn't fit this profile because it is not considered equal to us but our playing style is very similar and we have to outmuscle them - therefore we'd need more luck than a positive mentality and mindset to do this. I even think that we can lose vs Germany. The good thing is that Poland has the same mentality and if we meet in the 1/4s (if this is possible) the team considered to be the underdog will actually be the favourite. But I don't see how Russia can be stopped in this part of the draw. The only teams that IMO can do that are in the other draw - Italy and especially Serbia (whose mentality is the opposite of ours, they might surprise us negatively by losing to a huge underdog in the group phase and then beating Italy in the semi. They are doing the same thing atm in Eurobasket).

I don't quite agree. Was the draw also problematic the last time at the ECH? We made it difficult for ourselves. If they are that scared of Russia, select another playoff, go beat Poland and there you go - semis. We have to earn that right to be in the semis. The last tournament Bulgaria impressed at was the Olympics and they still missed a medal there. Why? Because of weak mentality. OK, we are not technically super impressive, agree, I even think this team cannot achieve more than a bronze, but that's another point. They have lost to Italy several times now and Italy is no better team than Bulgaria. Therefore, three consecutive fourth finishes against teams that are not much better than yourself speak enough of a fragile mentality. I understand your point about Russia, but you can't play volleyball with fear. If they want medals, go beat Russia, they HAVE to do it sooner or later. How and why Italy is always getting an easier draw is a totally different topic.

The results of the friendlies have been fluctuating for most, if not all, of the teams. You can't say anything general, but as of Friday when they give 100% it will probably all go back to where we expect. I just can't see who the pleasant surprise of the tournament will be, maybe I would predict something more from France this year.

• First match Germany vs. Italy: 3-2 (25-18, 21-25, 26-24, 20-25, 15-13)

As usual no stats available from the german side:mad:. Of course coach and team were satisfied........

http://www.volleyball-verband.…99aeujuucli339aj39472fedv

• First match Germany vs. Italy: 3-2 (25-18, 21-25, 26-24, 20-25, 15-13)

As usual no stats available from the german side:mad:. Of course coach and team were satisfied........

http://www.volleyball-verband.…99aeujuucli339aj39472fedv

If you want I've found this...
    ITALIA-GERMANIA 2-3 (18-25, 25-21, 24-26, 25-20, 13-15)
    Italia: Birarelli 10, Zaytsev 19, Savani 19, Piano 3, Travica 6, Parodi 6, Rossini (L). Vettori 7, Beretta 1, Kovar 2, Mazzone 1, Giovi, Saitta, Lanza. All. Berruto.
    Germania: Fromm 15, Tischer 2, Kaliberda 17, Bohme 8, Grozer 13, Fischer 3, Tille (L). Steuerwald M, Collin 8, Hohne , Broshog 5, Schwarz 9, Kampa 4. Ne: Schops. All. Heynen.
    Arbitri: Gurthoff, Henke.
    Durata set: 27’, 26’, 29’, 25’, 15’. Italia: bs 12 a 10 mv 8 et 23. Germania: bs 17 a 9 mv 14 et 32.

• f you want I've found this...
    ITALIA-GERMANIA 2-3 (18-25, 25-21, 24-26, 25-20, 13-15)
    Italia: Birarelli 10, Zaytsev 19, Savani 19, Piano 3, Travica 6, Parodi 6, Rossini (L). Vettori 7, Beretta 1, Kovar 2, Mazzone 1, Giovi, Saitta, Lanza. All. Berruto.
    Germania: Fromm 15, Tischer 2, Kaliberda 17, Bohme 8, Grozer 13, Fischer 3, Tille (L). Steuerwald M, Collin 8, Hohne , Broshog 5, Schwarz 9, Kampa 4. Ne: Schops. All. Heynen.
    Arbitri: Gurthoff, Henke.
    Durata set: 27’, 26’, 29’, 25’, 15’. Italia: bs 12 a 10 mv 8 et 23. Germania: bs 17 a 9 mv 14 et 32.

Yes, i want. Thank you :thumbup:
    Nearly everyone played and everyone is scoring. That makes the team more unprededictable than before. Like it.......

• I don't quite agree. Was the draw also problematic the last time at the ECH? We made it difficult for ourselves. If they are that scared of Russia, select another playoff, go beat Poland and there you go - semis. We have to earn that right to be in the semis. The last tournament Bulgaria impressed at was the Olympics and they still missed a medal there. Why? Because of weak mentality. OK, we are not technically super impressive, agree, I even think this team cannot achieve more than a bronze, but that's another point. They have lost to Italy several times now and Italy is no better team than Bulgaria. Therefore, three consecutive fourth finishes against teams that are not much better than yourself speak enough of a fragile mentality. I understand your point about Russia, but you can't play volleyball with fear. If they want medals, go beat Russia, they HAVE to do it sooner or later. How and why Italy is always getting an easier draw is a totally different topic.

The results of the friendlies have been fluctuating for most, if not all, of the teams. You can't say anything general, but as of Friday when they give 100% it will probably all go back to where we expect. I just can't see who the pleasant surprise of the tournament will be, maybe I would predict something more from France this year.

I don't think this is the proper topic for such talks, but anyway... some people can move it.

If we lose to Germany (which is possible) - we go to Russia in the 1/4s. Whatever you tell me - I don't see any way we can beat Russia unless Sokolov has a very good to monster game in serve and attack, Bratoev cuts the mistakes to minimum, our reception is stable and our serve is strong and stable all at the same time. For me, if this happens, it will be a semi-miracle. Even if we are not anxious and frustrated before the game, with positive attitude, I don't see how all of these factors will be present. Again, Russia for me is a bigger and stronger mirror image of Bulgaria and unless we play on 110% and they play below their 100% - we'll lose. (not saying Russia is unbeatable, but a difficult match-up for BG)

If we beat Germany, we go to Poland in the 1/4s where anything can happen as I said. 50/50, with the teams' emotional state, level of external pressure and the attitude with which they will enter the court the factors deciding the match. Then we go to a semi with Italy. So if we want to avoid Russia - we have to beat Germany, Poland, and Italy consecutively.

Therefore, if we want medals, we practically have to beat every single favourite ourselves. So the players would have to make the tournament of their lives, something like the Olympics, but harder because we add the accumulated pressure from fans, media, etc.

About the frendlies, I don't care about them at all. I'm not a member of Placci's staff, so I don't know what were his intentions. Actually, I'd be more worried if we won all of our friendlies.