Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• I respectfully disagree with every statement of this writing. Going to olympics should be deserved, not gift. Apart from USA and Brazil every major world team is in Europe. Argentina is a good team, but not medal contender, despite the great coach and setting.

And who asked you anything about Argentina?

• The german federation released some infos about the importance of WL / EG for the CEV ranking and the european qualification tournament:

http://www.volleyball-verband.…jb1105eo06e5ka3u41e915al7

• You can reach same amount of points for European Games and World League but teams had to choose, which tournament they bring in (either WL or EG).
    • The choices will be officially revealed after the European Games.
    • As host, Germany will be automatically seeded on position 1
    • 1st place = 50 points, 2nd place 48 points, 3rd place = 46 points and so on.....

Men's CEV ranking:
    1. RUS 336 Punkte
    2. ITA 332 Punkte
    3. SRB 324 Punkte
    4. POL 318 Punkte
    5. BUL 312 Punkte
    6. GER 286 Punkte
    7. FRA 282 Punkte
    8. FIN 270 Punkte
    9. BEL 256 Punkte
    10. SVK 252 Punkte
    11. SLO 234 Punkte
    12. CZE 228 Punkte
    13. TUR 226 Punkte
    14. NED 224 Punkte
    15. POR 214 Punkte

• The top 4 teams in NORCECA Championship will qualify for Continental OQT final four. Maybe round robin like world cup qaulifier

CSV will lunch the Olympi qualification tournament in Caracas, Venezuela 5-12 October. Only 1 day after it continental championship.

• From the CEV Ranking:

1 RUS 334
    2 SRB 328
    3 POL 322
    4 BUL 316
    5 ITA 312
    6 GER 304
    7 FRA 284
    8 FIN 272
    9 SVK 270

7 teams will play in Germany at european Q. Russia losing by USA almost eliminated Slovakia. They need a win from Italy over Poland and from Argentina over USA to stay alive. Finland is qualified to the tournament now.

• 7 teams will play in Germany at european Q. Russia losing by USA almost eliminated Slovakia. They need a win from Italy over Poland and from Argentina over USA to stay alive. Finland is qualified to the tournament now.

8 teams will play in total, so Slovakia will play in Germany, because Germany are in Top 8 and Poland or Italy will qualify through WC, so one place will be free. If both would be qualified, even 10th place from CEV ranking will play in Germany, but is it much less possible.

• 8 teams will play in total, so Slovakia will play in Germany, because Germany are in Top 8 and Poland or Italy will qualify through WC, so one place will be free. If both would be qualified, even 10th place from CEV ranking will play in Germany, but is it much less possible.

Guys, there is still the ECH to be played :teach: A lot of ranking points can be lost or earned there.

I am quite sure, especially Belgium and Finland wish now, they had sent their best team to EG instead of WL.

complete ranking: http://www.cev.lu/Rankings/Men.aspx

• Like in womens' part I made ranking with deduction of ECH 2011 points and I added 70 points for all participants of ECH 2015 finals ^^

Ranking looks this:
    1. Russia 310
    2. Germany 302 - host of OQT
    3. Serbia 298
    4. Poland 296 - can qualify to OG
    4. Bulgaria 296
    6. Italy 284 - can qualify to OG
    7. France 266
    8. Finland 256
    9. Belgium 250
    - currently qualified to QOT
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    10. Slovakia 248 - may be qualified if USA is out
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    11. Netherlands 230

Probably only either Italy or Poland will qualify, so 9th team will be the lowest from ranking.

right now we'll see in Germany: Germany (host), Russia, Serbia, Poland/Italy, Bulgaria, France, Finalnd and Belgium

Slovakia has to be 2 places higher to beat Belgium, 5 places higher to beat Finland and 9 places to beat France (the last one is IMHO impossible)

Netherlands needs 10 places to beat Slovakia, so battle for OQT for them is done even if both Italy and Poland qualify to OG :wavy: other teams have even less points...

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Before every OG qualification in volleyball we have the same questions :
    - why (like in basketball or handball) World Champion is not promoted automaticly to OG ?
    - why continental championships are not part of OG qualification /it means all of them are not so important in year before OG/ ?
    - why special continental tournamets are added instead use of continental championships ?
    - why always Asian qualification is combined with world qualification and always held in Japan ?
    - why European strong continent has always only two places in world qualifications /see how it goes in handball or basketball - World/Continental Championships determinate teams participated in final qualification ?
    - and finally why FIVB rules are changed in every four years ?

(of course we could talk about unexpected changes in FIVB World League or World Championship formats ...) - it's hard to follow them

• after update Poland apears as next participant in Berlin, we have 5 certain participants (Germany, Russia, Serbia, Poland, Bulgaria) and France is 6th almost certain :wavy:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• Its a bit useless at the moment but just for the fun....

Potential groups, according to ranking could look like this:

Russia (1), Poland (4/5), France (6) Belgium (8)

Germany (2), Serbia (3), Bulgaria (4/5), Finland (7)

I would buy this 8)

• 1. Most of Olympics qualifications began in 2015. I just see basketball shooting archery began in 2014. So, what's wrong if the competition in one year before OG is the first OGQT? FIBA also gonna move the world championships to 2019.
    2. I think it is good to do not allow the teams which have already qualified for OG to play other remaining OGQT. FIBA also has the same rule. Except this year special case for both Brazil teams. I do think qualified teams shouldn't be a varible for non-qualified teams.
    4. For Japan
    5. Not always, 7 European men teams in London? And, I don't understand why handball didn't try to expand popularity to other continents. IHF has a oceania confederation, but hard to see the teams from the confederation participate in World Champ. And, many many many quotas for Europe, more than half if I'm not wrong. Moreover, I did't see development project like FIVB did. If I am wrong, please tell me.

• Most of volleyball competitions use a serpentine system for pools composition which reserve the top spot. So, it should be
    GER host | RUS 1
    POL 4/5 | SRB 3
    BUL 4/5 | FRA 6
    BEL 8 | FIN 7
    More, match up by berger table, from FIVB sport regulation version 2015. But, not all competitions use the format, almost.

• well, as i said before, the last intercontinental qualify. tournament is very stupid. instead of holding that one, they could have just given the 3rd spot in WC a qualifier to rio (in this case, POL men and US women).

there's no reason necessarily to make world champion an automatic qualifier to olympics, that's what the 2 (or 3) top spots at WCup are for.

they should just have the following formula for olympics: host country, top 3 world cup, 5 continental representatives, then 3 qualifiers from a world qualifier (they could hold 2 or 3 separate tournaments, with proportional representation from 5 federations -- they did have 3 separate qualifiers in 2012 for men, i think).

i don't think they can expand the volleyball fields to 16 teams at the olympics, but they could kick out a few stupid sports: for example, equestrian (only the rich care), modern pentathlon (nobody cares) and football (olympic football is stupid, none of the top players go).

• NORCECA have stolen one Ticket from Men's and Women's World Cup to that Easy Tournament for NORCECA Team.

• because there is a contract between FIVB and Fuji TV in Japan, World Cup has to be the 1st Olympic qualifier, no matter how.

but CEV is holding the Euro Championship after the World Cup, I don't know why they just didn't make it an Olympic qualifier. that was CEV's decision I think.

• well, as i said before, the last intercontinental qualify. tournament is very stupid. instead of holding that one, they could have just given the 3rd spot in WC a qualifier to rio (in this case, POL men and US women).

there's no reason necessarily to make world champion an automatic qualifier to olympics, that's what the 2 (or 3) top spots at WCup are for.

they should just have the following formula for olympics: host country, top 3 world cup, 5 continental representatives, then 3 qualifiers from a world qualifier (they could hold 2 or 3 separate tournaments, with proportional representation from 5 federations -- they did have 3 separate qualifiers in 2012 for men, i think).

I disagree regarding world champion. It was in force for years. World Championships are the most difficult competitions and there is no "lucky champion" because there are 24 the best teams and difficult system/long tournament. World Champion always gets OG spot in handball or basketball.

World Cup is created only for OG qualification with limited representation of strong teams (valid as from 1992 as OG qualification with 1 spot only).
    I think the best system was in the past (I proposed below for present format with 12 teams):
    - previous OG title holder 1
    - World Champion 1
    - Continental Champions (or sometimes vice Champion) 5
    - Intercontinental tournaments 5

or
    - previous OG title holder 1
    - World Champion 1
    - World Cup 1
    - Continental Champions (or sometimes vice Champion) 5
    - Intercontinental tournaments 4

• You aren't better than FIVB.

You wrote sometimes. For FIVB that would mean sometimes Vice from Europe one time per 12 years and always Vice from NORCECA and AVC.

Rules must be clear.

• If we want to bring some equality to the sport, then the following solution in this order of play might work better:

1- Olympic host
    2- World champion
    3- World Cup winner
    4,5,6,7,8- Continental champion (CEV, NORCECA and so on)
    9,10,11- 3 World qualification tournaments as we always had in the past
    12- World league with a special pool for all non-qualified countries, where winner gets both an Olympic ticket and a place in the final six

This way would give all teams of the world 4 qualification tournaments, 5 to those competing in the WC, all very spread out in the busy FIVB calendar.

I cannot see the current qualification system surviving, the backlash from the European teams losing their ticket in Berlin will be enormous.