Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• So, numbers say that North America won 4 Olympic quotas, the same number Europe won. Also, to me at least, the two teams that had the longest way (and the most chances) of qualifying to the Games grabbed Olympic tickets in the end - Poland and Canada.

• So, numbers say that North America won 4 Olympic quotas, the same number Europe won. Also, to me at least, the two teams that had the longest way (and the most chances) of qualifying to the Games grabbed Olympic tickets in the end - Poland and Canada.

This is ridiculous and tragic at the same time. Teams like Germany (5th in London), Serbia or Bulgaria (4th in London) had only 1 chance to qualify to Rio or WOQT. On other side teams like Chile or Mexico had 2, after continental qualies, which were funny low-level tournaments. Both, Mexico & Chile won only ONE match (Puerto Rico & Colombia) and earned spot on WOQT. Qualification system is unfair towards European & Asian teams big time. Some NT's playing 3 matches in continental qualies which are on level of Austrian or Slovak leagues while others have to go through "hell" to seal OG spot.

• fivb is truly corrupt. maybe not as bad as fifa or iaaf but truly pathetic.

olympic qual. should be in my opinion as follows:

1 - host nation
    2 - world cup
    5 - continental champions (and no more combined world-asian qual.)
    4 - world qualifying tournament(s), maybe 2 separate ones

alternatively, 2 spots for euro qual., and 3 world qual.

this year's format was truly pathetic.

• Volleyball.it reports that FIVB is seriously considering kicking Cuba out of Rio

And who would get in? Puerto Rico (next best team in NORCECA) or Bulgaria (best not qualified in world ranking)?

• Volleyball.it reports that FIVB is seriously considering kicking Cuba out of Rio

Can you please give the link? I just have found this but I cant find what you say.

• For sure from Norceca.

the rule is this: "If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC, the quota place will be reallocated to the next best ranked NOC, not yet qualified in the competition where the quota place was obtained."

but i read in a Polish site that Finnish director of WL matches in Finland said quota will be given to AUS or Puerto. maybe because if we there was no Cuba, Puerto should have gone to Tokyo. so they hold a match between them.

• Can you please give the link? I just have found this but I cant find what you say.

http://www.volleyball.it/notizie.asp?n=122618&l=0

It's a quite reliable source so I wouldn't dismiss it as theories. Anyway I'm against it for two reasons:

-there's no way for the trial against the Cuban players to end before the start of the Olympics. Anyway, these players MUST be treated as innocent until proven guilty. If they are unable to make it to Rio, the Cuban federation will simply replace them. Not the best solution but the most logic one.

-the only ethical way to assign this ticket would be hosting a qualification pool with all the continental OQT runner-ups. This means Germany (4th but still above Serbia and Bulgaria), Australia, Tunisia and Venezuela. Knowing how our beloved FIVB functions I have no doubt that they will give the ticket to some random team that did nothing to deserve it, so I'd rather keep Cuba in.

This must be somekind of a joke. I'm not defending Cubans but what's connection between their ticket for Rio secured 8 months ago and rape in Tampere? They earned place in Rio in a fair way, on vball field. FIVB can't expel entire NT coz few players commited a crime, it would be a precedent with far-reaching consequences. In the end, they do not have the authority to expel a team from Olympic Games, only Olympic Committee if I remember well.

• Actually, there were Second Rounds of Olympics Qualifiers. So Germany would be out, not making this round. Australia, Tunisia and Venezuela would be considered, but they would go with the highest ranked team, which would be Australia in my mind.

• This must be somekind of a joke. I'm not defending Cubans but what's connection between their ticket for Rio secured 8 months ago and rape in Tampere? They earned place in Rio in a fair way, on vball field. FIVB can't expel entire NT coz few players commited a crime, it would be a precedent with far-reaching consequences. In the end, they do not have the authority to expel a team from Olympic Games, only Olympic Committee if I remember well.

I agree with you that FIVB shouldn't expel team Cuba from Rio, but the problem is -- will Cuba voluntarily withdraw from Rio due to loss of a few key players?