2014 FIVB World League

• One of these 2 rumors will be 2014 World League format:

1. World League might have a new format of competition in 2014 with 28 teams.

There would be three categories, decided by the FIVB ranking. In A, highest category would play Bulgaria, USA, Russia, Poland, Serbia, Italy, Brazil and Japan. They would be separated into two pools and would play six games each (home –away). Two best teams from each pool would advance into final-six, with host or third best team and winner of the B category. They would fight for the prestigious trophy.

The B category consists of 12 teams – France, Germany, Argentina, Netherlands, Iran, Australia, Korea, Canada, Cuba, Belgium, Portugal and Finland. There would be three pools. Winners would advance to the separate final-four, together with host, and the winner of that tournament would join A category on the final-six.

In C, last category, would compete 8 teams that have never played in World League. They would have the opportunity to compete at higher level.

2. The following teams will compete at the 2014 edition of the FIVB World League. Teams are listed in no particular order:

Brazil
    USA
    Russia
    Italia

Poland
    Serbia
    Bulgaria
    Japan

Belgium
    France
    Germany
    Argentina

Iran
    Australia
    Korea
    Canada

Cuba
    Netherlands
    Puerto Rico
    Finland

Belgium, winner of the 2013 European League, will make its World League debut and has taken Portugal’s spot as the only major change among the list of participating teams.

Our source also adds that the 2014 World League will use the same format used for the 2013 edition: Pools A and B are determined using the serpentine system based on the most current world rankings. Pool C will feature teams ranked as the next best four in the world rankings after the 12 teams in Pool A and B.

The final format of the competition will be confirmed on 1st December when leadership of the World League will have a meeting.

• http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sport…/cnt/dmf20131107_00828714

• Official pools in WL 2014: (according to siatka.org)

Elite - First Level
    Pool A: Brazil, Poland, Italy, Iran (at first Japan was planned to elite, but WGCC verified plans and Iran used chance to get place here)
    Pool B: Russia, Bulgaria, Serbia, United States

Elite's Background - Second Level
    Pool C: Canada, Finland, Belgium, Australia
    Pool D: France, Argentina, Germany, Japan

Contenders - Third Level
    Pool E: Netherlands, Czech Republic, Portugal, Korea
    Pool F: Cuba, Turkey, Mexico, Tunisia
    Pool G: Puerto Rico, Slovakia, China, Spain

What do you think about these divisions?

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

Edited once, last by kondzio ().

• what a games we'll see.it is amazing to see brazil poland and italy for the first time in iran.

• According to FIVB, Volleywood provided the correct divisions.
    http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=43945&Language=en

• Germany in pool C looks Ok and i will have to live with it. As a supporter of the german team, the competition is losing a bit, as there are no secured matches against the real big guns anymore. To me matches like Germany vs Russia, Brazil vs. France and Iran vs. Italy have been classics of last years world league. But France/Argentina/Japan are worthy oponents as well and the winner of pool C/D/E can qualify for final 6. That seems to be alright.

Most important to me is, that pool A/B don't remain a closed shop and that in future all the teams can relegate from them or qualify for them. In the press release of Fivb there is lot of if and can and could:
    "The last ranked team of Pool A & B after the Intercontinental Round could be relegated if the winner of
    the Final Four of Pools C, D and E can meet the promotion requirements set by the FIVB."

I don't really trust the FIVB here and i fear that in the end, decisions will only be made from an economical point of view. There should be clear regulations, published before the tournament and not afterwards, behind closed doors.

And by the way, how sad is this: Pool F: Cuba, Turkey, Mexico, Tunisia :white:

I know, cuban federation recently has messed up a lot of things but somehow that still makes me sad, if I think of that great pool of players.....

• Which ranking did FIVB based on by making these pools? World ranking (apparently not by looking at Argentina and Cuba's place) or the previous WL ranking?

Also what will Pool F and G will fight for if there is no chance to qualify to final six :down:

• Which ranking did FIVB based on by making these pools? World ranking (apparently not by looking at Argentina and Cuba's place) or the previous WL ranking?

Also what will Pool F and G will fight for if there is no chance to qualify to final six :down:

I would imagine Pool F and G are the qualification tournaments for the next year WL Pool C~E

Because the real World League looks like pool A~E to me.

• Brazil, Italy, Poland, Iran with 3 going to the finals. How convenient. Bulgaria, Russia, Serbia, USA with 2 going to the finals. FIVB = corruption. The whole system is flawed to help the weaker teams to win and to give handicap to the richest donations to FIVB

• We can live with the recent constant tournament changes and the top teams' distribution. Once they find a suitable system for their "needs" and sponsors, the experiments might stop for a while. What bothers me is again the lack of transparency. First, how was it determined that Iran or Japan (and not some other team) should be granted the 8th top spot? This and the other questions are, of course, rhetorical. Why again Japan when they are clearly not at the necessary level? What is the purpose of the last three groups when there are clearly no qualification rounds and the criteria for moving a division higher are subjective, to say the least? Why Turkey and Mexico (nothing personal)? What is the point of introducing three groups of teams to play for nothing, with no chance of making it to the Finals and even determining a winner among them to be given what exactly? The money aspect aside, it's not that much anyway. It's a purely commercial tournament with little international value, we know that, why don't they just cut the crap and invite the richest/best teams? Blah, I could write so much more about FIVB, but what's the point?

At the end why have all the fuss when Bulgaria is gonna finish 4th again :D

• well, i don't' understand why japan is in the "2nd" level, when several teams in the "3rd" level are much better (at least china, korea and netherlands, all recently beat japan). on the other hand, why are finland and belgium in the "2nd" level as well? ok, i don't know belgium but have never heard that they were that high up to be in the "2nd" level.

as for cuba, the problem is, you never know how they are and which players they have at any moment… they could be among the top or be a total disaster.

• FiVB confirmed the venues for the final tournaments.

First level
    Final 6; 16-20. July 2014 (Florence, Italy)

Second level
    Final 4: 11.-13. July (Sydney, Australia)

Third level
    27.-29 Juni, (Bursa, Turkey)

OK, the FiVB wants the winner of "second level" to play until 13. July in Sydney (+ 10 hours), travel 24 hours to Italy and then play the "real" final, already on 16. July? Thats ridicoulous. If their plan was to make World League below "first level" as unattractive as possible, then they achieved their goal.

I predict, a lot of teams will try to avoid qualifiying for Australia. That could become quite ugly, especially in the later rounds.

• I really like this new format. It looks exactly like the Davis Cup for tennis. Weak teams won't collect losts and strong ones will face each others most of the times. The promoted teams can taste their emprovements. You have to earn the right to face top NTs, instead of be there facing them and falling apart match by match...

IMHO this can work very well. For tennis it does!

• I really like this new format. It looks exactly like the Davis Cup for tennis. Weak teams won't collect losts and strong ones will face each others most of the times. The promoted teams can taste their emprovements. You have to earn the right to face top NTs, instead of be there facing them and falling apart match by match...

IMHO this can work very well. For tennis it does!

Well, it is a good format, but only for the teams on elite`s level.

The regulations for promotion are completely unclear. The first of second level "might" go up if he fulfills certain undefinited "requirements". I guess, there would be quite harsh "requirements" if one of the likes of Italy/Poland finishes last and, lets say, Canada wins second level.

Germany has to travel to Argentina, Japan and maybe/hopefully Australia. I don't think that there remarkable financial rewards for second/third level teams, so playing world league will become a quite expensive adventure as well.

I will quote Yavor, who summed it up quite well:

"It's a purely commercial tournament with little international value, we know that, why don't they just cut the crap and invite the richest/best teams?"