Men's World Championship 2018

• According to rumors from PZPS strong Candidates are Japan and Qatar.

Poland probably will try to fight also 2nd time in a row but if FIVB looks for money Poland hasn't chance against very rich proposition from Qatar.

• Yes, It is nice to know that Qatar was trying to do this back in 2011.
    FIVB World Club Championship Article

But there was an article two weeks ago that the tournament could be split between Russia and Qatar.
    Article

Plus Graca said Argentina was interested as well.
    Article

Add Bulgaria to the list:
    http://www.worldofvolley.com/N…8-world-championship.html

• I do not see a reason to have it in Qatar and Russia. Hey do you like long flights across unsafe airspace? Let's take lots of people from many countries and do that!

If it was in Europe say France and Italy, France and Germany or German and Poland, no problem. Japan and South Korea, not a problem. But two countries without a common border, just say no.

Pick one country Graca. Qatar's money may look great, but the number of people going to this tournament will be small. Even with the hosting of the 2011 AFC Football Asian Cup, they only drew an average of 12,688 people. 9 of the 16 teams were from the Middle East and that few people attended.

With the FIVB Men's Club World Cup held in Qatar from 2009-2012, the attendance capacity for the entire tournament was between 34.0% and 50.4%. This was played in a 3,000 seat arena.

• This is not serious at all. I have never even read it in our media sources, I don't know where this "news" comes from. The date of the article is 2012 which is way behind horizon. There were doubts regarding next year's ECH, let alone a whole WCH! Bulgaria cannot and should not organize such a tournament yet.

• This is not serious at all. I have never even read it in our media sources, I don't know where this "news" comes from. The date of the article is 2012 which is way behind horizon. There were doubts regarding next year's ECH, let alone a whole WCH! Bulgaria cannot and should not organize such a tournament yet.

Unfortunately, the rumours have been confirmed now and it seems like Bulgaria has sent a joint candidature with Italy for hosting the 2018 WCH. I really wish this weren't true and I hope there is some common sense left in FIVB after all. It is reported that the other applicants are Russia, Iran, Argentina, and Qatar.

• It actually says that on 9. December we will know whether Bulgaria and Italy will host the WCH in 2018.

As it seems, Bulgaria and Italy are going to host the 2018 World Championship indeed. It has been confirmed on FIVB's website as well.

• So lets look at what the potential continental qualification spots are going to be?

Last 5 World Championships by Confederation by the Number of Teams

So, if Italy and Bulgaria are hosting, Europe could be down to 7 teams for qualifying.
    Both Italy and Bulgaria probably would have qualified anyways, but with only 7 slots available it will probably be 6 groups of 4, then 1 final group of 6 (2nd place teams) for the final spot

Africa will probably be kept at 3 (would drop to 2 if Asia gets 5)
    Asia could get 5 with Iran's performance in 2014 (but more likely staying at 4)
    NORCECA will probably stay at 5
    South America will probably stay 3.

• Many Asian teams have participated in continental championship, but did not register for World championship. Unlike North American and African. So, it is hard to receive more places in the World championship.

About European qualification, I think the 7 places will give 2 for 2017 ECH like former edition and 5 pools for 5 remaining places.

• I think FIVB will increase the European berths by 1 at least. Italy and Bulgaria are both co-hosting, two teams out of the qualifiers, makes sense to increase European participants when the tournament takes place in Europe.

• Many Asian teams have participated in continental championship, but did not register for World championship. Unlike North American and African. So, it is hard to receive more places in the World championship.

About European qualification, I think the 7 places will give 2 for 2017 ECH like former edition and 5 pools for 5 remaining places.

I hope they increase Asian quota to 5, some teams like Japan and Qatar has improved considerably in recent years. in the last edition we had Iran at 6th, China and Australia 15th and Korea 17th. compared to Africa that had 3 21th position. or they can get one quota from Norceca I dont think 5th or 4th team of Norceca is better that 5th team of Asia.

• FIVB has announced qualification quotas. No difference compared to the previous one.

• FIVB has announced qualification quotas. No difference compared to the previous one.

At some point, you would think that the FIVB would force the World Champs in both tournaments to requalify?

Actually, South America lost one spot due to the co-hosts in Europe. So Europe with 10 spots (Bulgaria, Italy and Poland with automatics). Venezuela is not strong enough for the tournament as the 3rd team in South America.

• At some point, you would think that the FIVB would force the World Champs in both tournaments to requalify?

Actually, South America lost one spot due to the co-hosts in Europe. So Europe with 10 spots (Bulgaria, Italy and Poland with automatics). Venezuela is not strong enough for the tournament as the 3rd team in South America.

Actually, looking at the men's distribution and mainly at the brackets for the European quotas, you would think that they would force one of the two hosts to qualify :D