Men's World Championship 2018

• Actually, South America lost one spot due to the co-hosts in Europe. So Europe with 10 spots (Bulgaria, Italy and Poland with automatics). Venezuela is not strong enough for the tournament as the 3rd team in South America.

To me, it is questionable whether the 3rd African team (Cameroon/Algeria) or the 5th North American (Mexico) deserves a WCH spot more than Venezuela. Historically speaking, Venezuela has given the volleyball world talented players over the years and I think they should be at a WCH. An alternative would be to make an intercontinental qualifier, similar to FIFA's, and determine which continent gets the spot. But we are not talking about tournament-changing participants here, of course, so this is just an idea.

Regarding the European quotas, we should consider the generation change in some countries. Just like always, there will be teams that will look differently between 2 WCHs. One such team might be Finland. I doubt Kunnari and Esko will be super fit/still playing in 2018. Siltala may be, he will be 34 then. Another team like that could be Belgium. Depestele most probably won't be a vital part anymore and their game is currently entirely rotating around Sam Deroo. Bulgaria, Italy, and Poland are already there, Russia, Serbia, Germany, France should have no problems, whereas it would be very interesting to me which teams will get the remaining 3 spots. Belgium, Finland, and Slovenia look like decent candidates, but I see Turkey, the Netherlands, Estonia, providing that they all send their best available players to the qualifiers, closing in the gap. And I would love to see Slovenia's first-ever WCH participation, as well as the return of the Netherlands.

• AVC sports events committee suggested that Asian qualification will be held in two pools of five, first 5 teams of FIVB ranking are there and other 5 will be selected by pre-qualification matches. Pool A matches will be held in Iran and Pool B in Australia. 2 teams from each pool will qualify.

I think we will have more interesting matches compared to the past because number of competitive teams in Asia has increase to 6. (Iran, Australia, Japan, China, Korea, Qatar)

• Can you tell me what is this whole qualification for? Why can't for example ECH be the qualification for WCH? If CEV has 8 vacancies then all teams which advanced to quarters would qualifiy.

FIVB is the master of qualifications of qualifications which lead to another qualification... Who needs this?

• Can you tell me what is this whole qualification for? Why can't for example ECH be the qualification for WCH? If CEV has 8 vacancies then all teams which advanced to quarters would qualifiy.

R u serious? U want to take chance to qualify for WCH to 20+ countries in Europe :aww: Why shouldn't Croatia, Moldavia, Greece etc get chance to qualify to WCH?

• :aww:

Croatia was on ECH, Moldavia played 2 almost equal matches with Finland, Greece is country with big volleyball tradition :wavy:

That doesn't change anything. ECH has 2 or 3 qualification rounds to Final Round. So Teams have chance to qualify from there to Final Round and to fight for Quarterfinals which would give spots to WCH.

What for new qualification format to WCH?

• Draw for european qualification:

Pool A: France (org.), Germany, Turkey, Ukraine, Azerbaijan, Iceland
    Pool B: Netherlands (org.), Slovakia, Greece, Austria, Luxembourg, Republic of Moldova
    Pool C: Slovenia (org.), Belgium, Portugal, Latvia, Israel, Georgia
    Pool D: Estonia (org.), Russia, Montenegro, Romania, Hungary, Kosovo
    Pool E: Croatia (org.), Serbia, Belarus, Denmark, Switzerland, Norway
    Pool F: Czech Republic (org.), Finland, Spain, Sweden, Cyprus, Northern Ireland

So, german team got the worst possible draw, regarding the head of group. :rolleyes:
    Don't quite get, why they weren't seeded as head of a pool? Ranking still should have been good enough.......

EDIT
    organizing a tournament wins over ranking
    http://www.cev.lu/Competition-….aspx?NewsID=24146&ID=976

• So, german team got the worst possible draw, regarding the head of group. :rolleyes:

True... One between Germany and France will have to go through the additional qualifier in August when they are allowed no mistakes because only one spot is at stake...

Easy draws for Russia and Serbia. Good chances for the Netherlands and the Czech Republic to appear in WCH finals again and for Slovenia to make a debut.

• I would not say the Netherlands and the Czech Republic have good chances to appear on WCH. Home field is advantage for sure but the Greeks, Slovakia, Spain and especially Finland aren't pushovers. Slovenia vs Belgium will be decieding match, 50/50.

Agree about Russia and Serbia, every lost set will be big surprise

• I would not say the Netherlands and the Czech Republic have good chances to appear on WCH. Home field is advantage for sure but the Greeks, Slovakia, Spain and especially Finland aren't pushovers. Slovenia vs Belgium will be decieding match, 50/50.

Agree about Russia and Serbia, every lost set will be big surprise

The home field advantage is exactly the reason why they have good chances :) The Czech Republic, in my opinion, is a better team than Finland at the moment and this is exactly why they have chances at home. True, Spain is also there and it should be interesting. As for the Netherlands, they have Slovakia as opponent and we know the Slovaks blew up some decent opportunities in previous years to appear at the WCH. Greece got knocked out in the ECH play-offs, perhaps they won't win against both the Netherlands and Slovakia. We shall see :)

• I agree with who said that it would be wise to cut few qualification tournaments.

Since it's necessary to do qualification tournament for the Continental Cups in order to give a chance to every team, the qualification to be cut is the one for the WCH, imho.

I specify that you don't have to necessarily qualify ALL the teams throughout the Continental Cup, but at least something like half of the spots for each continent should be assigned according to the final standing of the respective Continental Cup.

An example for Europe to me is that at least the 4 semifinalists should be directly qualified, and the rest may do the qualifications.

• Generally speaking, it would make very much sense to reduce the international calendar. But selling the hosting rights for (qualification) tournaments is an important part of the international federation's income. Especially when, like in this case, the hosting right is connected with a better seeding and accordingly a better chance to qualify. So a reduction is likely not going to happen, neither on CEV nor on FIVB level.

• Generally speaking, it would make very much sense to reduce the international calendar. But selling the hosting rights for (qualification) tournaments is an important part of the international federation's income. Especially when, like in this case, the hosting right is connected with a better seeding and accordingly a better chance to qualify. So a reduction is likely not going to happen, neither on CEV nor on FIVB level.

Thank you this economic consideration that I haven't ever thought about and that I found very interesting!

• Draw for AVC qualification

Pool A: Iran (host), China, South Korea, Qatar, Central Asia
    Pool B: Australia (host), Japan, Chinese Taipei, Thailand, New Zealand

Central Asian team will be between Kazakhstan, India, Pakistan or Kyrgyzstan !

one team between Iran, China or Korea will miss the World Championship, Japan and AUS look safe in Pool B which is much easier. even Qatar and Central Asia team (IND or KAZ) are probably stronger than the other 3 teams in Pool B.

• The WCH qualifiers in Europe (the most anticipated round, at least) start today. 5 out of the 6 groups in total will have a schedule in a span of 5 days, playing with no rest, only the group in the Netherlands, starting today, will have a day off on Friday. This rest day is usually a must when more teams are involved in the group, it (or its absence) may turn out to be crucial for some of the teams. Still, a quick look through the other 5 groups shows that hosts have planned to play theoretically weaker teams somewhere in the middle of the week, providing thus their starting line-ups with a little break. I am curious whether the schedule comes from CEV, FIVB, or has been agreed between all participants based practically on the missing time for preparation.

Teams almost didn't have time to practice together, so individual class should prevail. Russia and Serbia should have no problems, in theory. Serbia drew perhaps the easiest group. The most anticipated match will be on Sunday in Lyon between France and Germany. Netherlands with good chances at home against Slovakia and Greece, the Dutchmen haven't been at a WCH since 2002. I would also look forward to the group in Ljubljana, Latvia is a nice team, whereas Slovenia, Belgium, and Portugal should deliver some interesting matches. The Czech team seemed in good shape during the friendlies, at home they will have advantage over Finland and Spain. But Finland, albeit a somewhat different team back then, won the qualifier in Slovakia 4 years ago, so Falasca should have that in mind.