Men's World Championship 2018

• Germany is not convincing me with Hirsch.

Giani should be more decisive and just understand that maybe Fromm in a non-receiving attacking role is where Germany should be heading at. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Germany is not convincing me with Hirsch.

Giani should be more decisive and just understand that maybe Fromm in a non-receiving attacking role is where Germany should be heading at. :whistle:

Giani is the main culprit for this loss. Can't understand why is he forcing such high-risk tactics even it's well known these players dont have "fierpower" and should rely on defensive approach. I don't believe that coach which won silver on ECH last year can make totally wrong decisions. In 2nd set Germans almost lost after 21:15 because Giani wasn't called TO in right moment. Same thing happened in 3rd but now Spain managed to turn 17:21 with simple game without any risk. I'm close to think Giani destroyed everything that Heynen left behind.

• Just to add Spain is without Villena :rolll:

Wow! Without Villena? What happened to him?

So, I wasnt wrong the contention is between Germany, Belgium, Estonia and Spain. I think that Estonia could upset Germany/Belgium if they stay focused. They did a good 2nd round !

• Wow! Without Villena? What happened to him?

So, I wasnt wrong the contention is between Germany, Belgium, Estonia and Spain. I think that Estonia could upset Germany/Belgium if they stay focused. They did a good 2nd round !

No idea, I didn't find any news about injury or something like that but I suppose he is injured.

• Giani is the main culprit for this loss. Can't understand why is he forcing such high-risk tactics even it's well known these players dont have "fierpower" and should rely on defensive approach. I don't believe that coach which won silver on ECH last year can make totally wrong decisions. In 2nd set Germans almost lost after 21:15 because Giani wasn't called TO in right moment. Same thing happened in 3rd but now Spain managed to turn 17:21 with simple game without any risk. I'm close to think Giani destroyed everything that Heynen left behind.

I wish Germany was more flexible though.Aggression when it comes to the serve is probably a symptom that there is a lack of trust with their block-defense not to mention the attack.

It would really help Germany if everyone is able to pass among all the wing spikers. I will always prefer 3 OHs playing inside the court than 2+1. Spain did great by targeting Kaliberda which probably destroyed Germany's offense in the long rub. It was just simple, really. :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Well, i wasn't overly optimistic before the tournament, but still i hoped, that they could at least beat Spain.....

Did not watch the match, so i can't go in detail here. But as far as i remember, I already wrote in 2016 NT thread that i wanted a new coach alreaday for 2016 season. And i think i am proven right here. You just can't change a teams' game style/mentality and additionally integrate young and inexperienced players in only a couple of weeks.

Furthermore, the likes of Kampa/Kaliberda/Fromm are probably not that good that they can carry a team on their own. They do need a working unit too, which obviously does not exist at the moment. Pretty messy situation but imho the initial faults were already made befor Giani took over....

Germany is not convincing me with Hirsch.

You already wrote this on german NT thread but i still don't think that Fromm would be a good opposite. Imo he just lacks of athleticism and technique. And looking at todays stats, Hirsch doesn't look like the main culprit for the defeat-

• Oh my goodness, I would have never expected Germany to lose against 2017 Spain of all teams in the world... this is a disaster loss. Germany has 91 points in the FIVB rankings, 80 of them are from the 2014 WCH :aww:

• Oh my goodness, I would have never expected Germany to lose against 2017 Spain of all teams in the world... this is a disaster loss. Germany has 91 points in the FIVB rankings, 80 of them are from the 2014 WCH :aww:

They will lose lot of points, thats sure...

Regarding changing team's game style/mentality... I remember Kampa said Giani insists on strong, big, serves and offensive play. Ok, you can try that with Grozer/Schops, Kaliberda and Fromm in the team but with Hirsch, Schott, Kaliberda simply you CAN'T do that. Heynen introduced a lot of young guys after WCH but adjusted game style to their qualities. Germans played "annoying", defensive, volley without much risks and Giani tried to change that in 2 months :aww: With this roster Germany should play like Friedrichshafen, Heynen left basics and Giani should continue in that way, at least in WCH qualies. Germans trashed Spain in WL using Heynen's system (11-31 errors back then) and after that Giani changed game style ?( :aww: Keeping Schott all match was a disaster as he could spike even on one block (5/19).

Another question that bothers me is where are Grozer and Schops? Instead playing for NT Grozer choose to take Qatar's money which is unacceptable IMO. Also Schops? Team captain is missing key matches after they've won bronze on last WCH? Where is logic in their absences?

P.S. Colito, ESP OPP, who has destroyed Germany is playing in Spanish 2nd division :aww: :gone: :obey:

• Another question that bothers me is where are Grozer and Schops? Instead playing for NT Grozer choose to take Qatar's money which is unacceptable IMO. Also Schops? Team captain is missing key matches after they've won bronze on last WCH? Where is logic in their absences?

Well, i wished at least one of them would be in Belgium but i am not sure, considering their latest performances on NT, whether this would have changed much. I also find it difficult to make a moral judgement on their absence. For over a decade Grozer/Schöps/Steuerwald spent summer after summer at NT for zero financial compensation. So i would say they have paid their fare share to the NT and now have the right to make money/care for family/prepare solidly for club season.
    In this context i have to say they i don't accept absence of Collin. His reported reason was "focus on beach-volleyball", which is a true joke and a slap in the face for all players now at NT.

Heynen introduced a lot of young guys after WCH but adjusted game style to their qualities.

Well did he, really ? Only "new" guy was actually Zimmermann who has barely seen the court. In Heynen's defence i have to say that the young guys who are now with NT were just not ready a year or two years ago. So apart from your rightly mentioned issues with Giani's newly implemented "playing philosophy", a lot of current problems actually result from a really bad bad timing......

Anyway, i will be off for the weekend and will try to avoid the internet. Maybe guys will raise like "phoenix from the ashes". I will see on sunday evening :lol:

• Problem for Germany, teams will clamp down on Kaliberda eventually. Belgium will be exploiting that. They are too good with their float serves for them not to be able to do it. They really need to fix that or their offense will become too predictable if Kaliberda or someone else has a really bad day. :white:

#FreeBritney

• Germany just made everything complicated for themselves. :white: Now they got to wish Estonia beats Belgium and Estonia gets beaten in their other remaining match.:whistle:

Estonia atleast got a point out of the match. It might help them if they ever beat two of their remaining opponents and get the max points.

#FreeBritney

• There's no point living in a dream. WCH 2018 will be without Germany.

Giani is going to have to achieve a good result in ECH, yet another failure this summer would probably cost him his job. I wouldn't be too sad about it though, I don't think his philosophy is going to work with the player material we have in the long run either.

• I've never seen a team looking more desperate and frustrated on court than this German team. Belgium even scores with a completely misguided bump set going high over the net and dropping in the middle of German court :wall: