Men's World Championship 2018

• That would be a bad idea if either Brazil or Argentina gets upset in the pool phase, they will have to meet in the semifinals then one of them is going to play in the bronze medal match and will never qualify to the world championship.

It wouldn't be bad if thet have 3 slots but South America only has 2. :white:

Well, just make the tournament a round-robin then. Anyway, Brazil or Argentina can't possibly lose to the other teams. Not even Venezuela is competitive anymore after many retirements, economic crash and the death of Kervin Piñerua.

• sorry to hear that pinerua passed away, and at such a young age! i remember him from the 2015 WC, one of the better players in the VEN team.

CSV has only 2 slots for the worlds? and NORCECA has 5, 6?????? crazy.

Absolutely ridiculous, even when Cuba was a superpower 3 teams were more than enough.

• looks like Korea will miss the World Championship once again, they just lost to Qatar despite winning first 2 sets ! I don't think Korea stands a chance against Iran tomorrow but who knows !

btw it's good that finally (and maybe for the 1st time ever) they are hosting a senior competition in Iran outside of Tehran !

• looks like Korea will miss the World Championship once again, they just lost to Qatar despite winning first 2 sets ! I don't think Korea stands a chance against Iran tomorrow but who knows !

btw it's good that finally (and maybe for the 1st time ever) they are hosting a senior competition in Iran outside of Tehran !

Is Iran playing with its first team? Or have they sent a B team or U23 one for this tournment?

• Is Iran playing with its first team? Or have they sent a B team or U23 one for this tournment?

of course with the first team. and actually they are promoting this competition like qualifying to the World Championship is like a dream ! :D

this link is supposed to broadcast the competition even though only when it doesn't conflict with other sports ! for example today they showed the 1st match but only few minutes of the 2nd match .
    http://www.telewebion.com/live/varzesh/

I guess all of Iran matches will be live on of the main channel link below
    http://www.telewebion.com/live/tv3/

here is the recorded Qatar-Korea match
    http://www.telewebion.com/episode/1664816/

• Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering because you left a small possibility for a korean victory against Iran. That´s why I thought Iran could have sent its B team.
    Anyway, I agree Korea doesnt stand a chance against Iran main team! The fight for the second ticket would be very tight.

• Thanks for the reply! I was just wondering because you left a small possibility for a korean victory against Iran. That´s why I thought Iran could have sent its B team.
    Anyway, I agree Korea doesnt stand a chance against Iran main team! The fight for the second ticket would be very tight.

well nothing is guaranteed in this sport and the last time Iran played an official tournament, they were disastrous in Poland for the last weekend of the WL. but I assume they will be totally different in front of the home crowd.

• i saw on wikipedia that in the 2nd match, CHN had no trouble with KAZ. and a few weeks ago, KAZ finished 2nd at AVC and CHN, 8th. weird... also noticed KAZ has a 7-footer MB (212 cm)???? that's crazy tall... is he any good?

QAT players are all from balkans, brazil and africa...

• Argentina lost to Venezuela.... I can't believe what I saw... one of the worst ever matches I've seen from an Argentina NT.

Velasco understimated the opponent by starting with scrubs like Darraidou and Flores...

Thanks god for FIVB silly rules we have a chance to set this straight in two weeks.

• I really cant believe Argentina lost to Venezuela...it was really tragic. I just watched the first two sets and the half of the third. It really seemed Velasco understimated Venezuela. Argentina lost the first set by a slight margin, so I thought it was the typic case when the strong team is full of itself and start to play slowly, lazy and so on because there is a "weak" foe in front (Brazil almost lost the first set against Chile in the first semifinal)...The next set was so easy for Argentina that I stopped watching the match.... I really didnt expect this score... :aww:

And Argentina outscored Venezuela...

However, even though we played bad, I shall congratulate Venezuela. They always played fiercely, they always remained focused and played one of their best games in months. Venezuelan Volleyball (Sports in general) is a mess now: 2 forfeits in the last Grand Prix, one in the World League, players train in so bad conditions, etc

• If I remember correctly, Argentina and Venezuela played for he last spot for the Olympics last year and Argentina won but it was super close like 3-2 and 15-13 or something like that.

• If I remember correctly, Argentina and Venezuela played for he last spot for the Olympics last year and Argentina won but it was super close like 3-2 and 15-13 or something like that.

Yes, it was like this. And Venezuela was overstimated in that match too. It was a 5-setter match, but the tie-break ended 15-12. The match could have finished 3-1. Facundo Conte played that match, as well as RIP Kervin Pinerúa.

Anyway, this results just tell us it is fair CSV only has 2 spots for WCH. Venezuela is a much better team than the 3rd, 4th and 5th from Norceca. It is really unfair :down:

• Well, last week both played the panamerican cup (with the same squads) and Argentina won all games (including Venezuela) easily while Venezuela just barely avoided last place beating Mexico...

• Yes, it was like this. And Venezuela was overstimated in that match too. It was a 5-setter match, but the tie-break ended 15-12. The match could have finished 3-1. Facundo Conte played that match, as well as RIP Kervin Pinerúa.

Anyway, this results just tell us it is fair CSV only has 2 spots for WCH. Venezuela is a much better team than the 3rd, 4th and 5th from Norceca. It is really unfair :down:

Venezuela is better than Cuba? Puerto Rico, probably. Mexico, probably.

• Venezuela is better than Cuba? Puerto Rico, probably. Mexico, probably.

It is always difficult to evaluate the level of these two teams (Cuba and Venezuela) . There are always missing players due to many circunstances, politics, etc, etc. Of course, I am not counting the cuban lost players like Leal, Leon, Camejo, Leyva, etc, etc...but the younger ones.

I agree Venezuela, probably, is better than Puerto Rico and Mexico. Venezuelan team almost didnt train for the Panamerican Cup, thats why they had a horrible performance (I am not saying that if they had trained, they would have gotten the gold medal, but at least a better result). It is a pity that these both teams cant develop more due to external reasons.