You are not logged in.

vabo

Professional

• "vabo" is male

Friday, October 6th 2017, 11:50am

I hate this formula, absolutely BORING....phase after phase after another phase. This does not attract fans.

It should be just like Soccer World Cup and the youth tournaments, with Round of 16. This makes it very exciting even if you have a Brazil vs Korea game.

And teams carrying points from the previous rounds makes it even worst, the teams ranked in #3 and #4 already starts the 2nd rounds with basically no "chances" in qualifying once they already have less points. And once the the Top ranked 2 teams in each pools win their first and second game in 2nd round they are already qualified for round #3, and they play the 2 remaining games with their bench. That is what happened with Brazil and USA (women`s). And this bring us back to the "fixing" games, another example Brazil vs D.Republic, Brazil choose to play with their starters and play to win, but in this case other teams especially in the men`s side could easily use their bench, and with that China would have been eliminated. ( If this happened or happens with the men`s of course teams like Brazil,Italy,Bulgaria would rest players)

Absolutely no sense format.

I watched almost every knock out game from the U18 because when it is a knock out game it is always interesting. But the U20 was boring because they have only the semis as a knock out game.

I`m not a soccer fan, but in the World Cup it is easy to watch when you turn the TV and you have a bunch of knock out games, but if you would turn the tv and they were playing group stages, phases rounds would not be so interesting.

at the least they should use the formula from 2002 with the quaterfinals.

:mad: :wacko:
I agree with this word by word. Current formula is garbage.

7UP

Receiver

• "7UP" is male

Favourite Team: NT: Poland (Women)

Favourite Players: Gosia Glinka, Anna Werblińska

Friday, October 6th 2017, 12:13pm

True, pool after pool after pool, OMG. FIVB should really reorganise or something cause basically if there is room to do anything stupid they always do. Bunch of stupid ideas as always.

• "serdar" is male

Favourite Team: Cuban NT, Turkish NT, VAKIFBANK

Favourite Players: A. Orro/O. Malinov/H. Miyashita/X. Gong/T. Boskoviç/M. Vargas/P. Egonu/I. Haak/H. Klimets/Z. Ting/C. Zhang/Gabi/B. Busa/M. Sylla/C. Bosetti/I. Voronkova/K. Ilchenko/D. Santana/J. Geerties/C. Plak/M. Mlejnkova/A. Leyva/L. Scuka/C. van Gestel/B. Herbotts/N. Daalderop/C. Chirichella/I. Fetisova/K. Akman/M. Popoviç/A. Danesi/S. Bonifacio/Y. Xinyue/Z. Todorova/A. De Tant

Friday, October 6th 2017, 12:57pm

The whole formula is just to be sure that hosts can reach to semis :aww: The possibility of getting surprise results is the part that makes WCh interesting, that's why they should have stick to Quarterfinals and even better, to final 16 :thumbdown:

Kk15

Master

• "Kk15" is female

Favourite Team: Italian NTs – Trento

Friday, October 6th 2017, 2:36pm

The whole formula is just to be sure that hosts can reach to semis The possibility of getting surprise results is the part that makes WCh interesting, that's why they should have stick to Quarterfinals and even better, to final 16

I would say 'to reach the 3rd phase', since in the 'final6' it's impossible to favor the host, but yes, I overall agree.

I can even accept two pool phases, but three... :S

vabo

Professional

• "vabo" is male

Friday, October 6th 2017, 2:40pm

The whole formula is just to be sure that hosts can reach to semis :aww: The possibility of getting surprise results is the part that makes WCh interesting, that's why they should have stick to Quarterfinals and even better, to final 16 :thumbdown:
Do I remember correctly that it was (again) a change made to help Japan go all the way to the semis? Not to say that other countries didn't benefit from it... but it changes the result of the competition, and not always the best team wins. Germany shouldn't have won the bronze medal in 2014 after beating Iran and France (and ignoring/losing on purpose half the matches in the tournament) and for sure USA women shouldn't have won the gold in 2014 after getting trashed 3-0 by Italy.

YavorD

Setter

• "YavorD" is male

Favourite Team: Bulgarian NT, Neftochimik Burgas, Belogorie Belgorod, Sisley Treviso

Friday, October 6th 2017, 2:45pm

The whole formula exists to ensure there are as many games as possible, unfortunately. If the hosts want to cheat, they will fix the draw, not the formula. Reference - Italy at the home men's WCH in 2010. This time Italy is hosting again but not alone, so I guess a relatively random draw might be expected.

vabo

Professional

• "vabo" is male

Sunday, October 29th 2017, 9:41am

Egypt and Tunisia have qualified to the 2018 WCH by being the finalists of the African volleyball championship. The last spot available will be given to the winner of the bronze medal match, Cameroon vs Algeria.

vabo

Professional

• "vabo" is male

Sunday, October 29th 2017, 7:43pm

Cameroon wins 3-1 the bronze medal match and qualifies. The qualifiers from Africa are Cameroon, Egypt and Tunisia.

Favourite Team: M: USA, Serbia, Italy,Russia, Perugia, PGE Skra, Taubate W: Brazil, Japan, Serbia, wherever club Queen Sheilla is at...

Favourite Players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio,Micah Christenson, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Haruka Miyashita, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

Monday, November 13th 2017, 5:12pm

Puerto Rico and Cuba qualified for the last two tickets of the World Championship.

Final draw will be held on the 3oth of november. Whatever that means.

YavorD

Setter

• "YavorD" is male

Favourite Team: Bulgarian NT, Neftochimik Burgas, Belogorie Belgorod, Sisley Treviso

Thursday, November 16th 2017, 12:09am

So, the list of participants is complete. Slovenia is the only debutant. I found the qualifiers in North America kind of funny. The first round didn't feature all teams and wasn't postponed regardless of the tragedy, the second round got decided by a few points. A full pack of 3-0s in Cuba where Mexico missed their second opportunity to make it to the WCH. The hosts seemed on the verge of losing the ticket but a very "comfortable" 3-0 win on the last day against a probably not quite motivated Puerto Rican side did the job. Still, I will fancy watching both teams next year.

The draw is said to take place in Florence on 30th November. I am quite sure the Italian and Bulgarian representatives will scheme their opportunities before the draw in a dark room somewhere in Italy. What I normally enjoy is at least a clear cut-out on eventual pots and seedings in those draws, so I hope the Italian side reveals something in the days before that.

Social bookmarks