2016 FIVB World League

• Is Kevin Tillie injured or just given a rest? He hasn't been playing recently.

He was registered as a libero this week and two matches of last week, they had 5 OHs.
    And he has some minor knee injuries

• Elimination of horns and trumpets in Azadi was a big improvement, yesterday there was almost no noise from trumpets and watching matches was really enjoyable, they also cheered the other teams and they were amazed and excited. and lots of Mexican waves was really interesting for watchers.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BH…dZOApFMy3Kc32fMnFcxZOKc0/

• Having the host in the preliminary round is a big problem, I suggest for the host to have matches like others, but the results not to be counted, this solves many problems and the host can have preparatory matches like they have it now.

Japan is 11th but because Portugal which is in 12th place is the host for final 4, Japan should go (probably) to level 3. Japan missed everything this year and was very disappointing, and the coach is talking about 2020 Olympics in the press conference! I don't know what a coach could do more to be sacked. :wavy:

• Seems Argentina beat Serbia 3-0 too. :huh: Nice to see them getting a few good results these last few rounds. They definitely don't deserve to drop to division 2 once there's Bulgaria and Australia there as well.

Yeah, I know how it looks from a neutral perspective. Germany is also suffering from the Bulgaria (no Olympic participation) syndrome right now, we have to start with that. I am just surprised how well the Serbians are doing regardless of the circumstances but I guess they couldn't all just sit and watch. Maybe Bulgaria deserved to go down based on their overall performance but they could look differently and I think they still belong in the elite group for that. In Bulgaria, we are also disappointed by the lack of motivation and results but it was more or less anticipated that it would be this way. First, because of the ridiculous formula, and second, because of the squad, of course. However, we should expect a different team next year and then we'll see how things go. The only real positive this summer is that Bulgaria kept its position in Division I, following the hard-fought win against Australia.

• I read several articles refering to Bulgarians motivation and I'm surprised they were unmotivated. This WL was ideal chance to get a good result after poor performance on OG qualies. As I remember Konstantinov stated F6 is their goal.

I knew Serbians will go 100% in WL after failing to reach Rio and tragic display on ECH. Motivation was really high inside the team,f.e. Atanasijević played injured despite Perugia was protesting and that's difference comparing to Bulgaria.

Good tournament in general, expected results especially by Russians as Federation president Shevchenko said "what they would get with playing on F6"? There will be "hiding" tactics in Krakow for sure but it's going to be high level tournament.

• I read several articles refering to Bulgarians motivation and I'm surprised they were unmotivated. This WL was ideal chance to get a good result after poor performance on OG qualies. As I remember Konstantinov stated F6 is their goal.

As a matter of fact, Konstantinov said that the goal would be the first place when the team was leaving for Russia three weeks ago :D The reality was different, however. What is going on in his head and what is happening in the locker room (and in reality as well) are two totally different things. Rumours say Konstantinov spoiled the otherwise good spirit in the NT, perhaps it is one of the reasons for the many absent players this summer. Bulgaria urgently needs a reliable setter if the head coach is not going to resign soon. Some of the players were in summer mood, looking for the break after the WL. They started with ambitions and quickly lost desire after a few defeats. This and the fact that the WL is not a super important tournament, hence they didn't REALLY need good results and a reason to prove whatever, have been Bulgarian trademarks for centuries. Remember how many bronze medal games they lost due to a lack of motivation. As you said it, it is a huge difference to the Serbian attitude. This is, in fact, the only chance to enjoy/show some good volleyball if you have missed the Olympics and Serbia took it seriously. Although it doesn't change the fact that they missed consecutive big opportunities to do so in recent years and that their finish at this WL would count for almost nothing in the end.

By the way, Konstantinov had also stated that it is a good time for new faces (meaning many new young players) in the first team and yet he plays with almost the same old gang.

The Bulgarians are heading to the beach now so let's focus on more serious teams this year :) I see that the draw for the Final round has been released on Wikipedia, providing that it can be trusted (it can be, from my personal experience). Brazil, USA, Italy in one group, Poland, France, Serbia in the other.

• Having the host in the preliminary round is a big problem, I suggest for the host to have matches like others, but the results not to be counted, this solves many problems and the host can have preparatory matches like they have it now.

Japan is 11th but because Portugal which is in 12th place is the host for final 4, Japan should go (probably) to level 3. Japan missed everything this year and was very disappointing, and the coach is talking about 2020 Olympics in the press conference! I don't know what a coach could do more to be sacked. :wavy:

Hosts have to play the group matches, "Hey you haven't played a competitive match in the last three weeks, so you'll host these exhibitions, while it counts for the others." It just doesn't make sense, because the number of matches played would not be even for all of those involved. If it was a round robin where each team played the others, then you could do it, but with only 9 matches, you can't.

We've always had the hosts play in the group stage of the World League.

As for the Japanese National Team. They played well at the World Cup last year, so a bit of a surprise, but they are a long way behind Iran as the best team in Asia. After they finished the World Qualifiers (which the goal was getting to Rio for them and they did not), the Federation has a complete focus on the 2020 Games for Tokyo. The NEXT 4 will be the focus of the team going forward because the current team is not good enough for a medal of any color.

Whether Nanbu is the coach or not is another story. Japan tried Gary Sato for only a season as the first foreigner to coach the team. Right now, they are so far behind, a foreign as a coach may be the only option. Manabe would be great, but I don't think that he'd go over to the men's side of the game.

• Atanasjevic won't be at the final 6 because of a problem to his left knee; on Pasini's blog Dal15al25 someone said he brooke his tibia (shinbone)... :(

I confirm that he fractured the tibia, and he won't be playing for a while, probably including the beginning of the italian championship. Perugia said they will decide what to do the next weeks. Well, for now they have a promising second opp and Zaytsev... Who is the third OH? I can't remember...

• I confirm that he fractured the tibia, and he won't be playing for a while, probably including the beginning of the italian championship. Perugia said they will decide what to do the next weeks. Well, for now they have a promising second opp and Zaytsev... Who is the third OH? I can't remember...

Correction: Ata said that, but Perugia said it's an inflammation of the tibia (not a fracture), that it's not sure he'll have to have a surgery and he will probably be ok for the beginning of the italian championship.

• probable Polish roster for Final Six:
    S: Grzegorz Łomacz, Fabian Drzyzga
    OP: Bartosz Kurk, Dawid Konarski
    OH: Michał Kubiak, Rafał Buszek, Mateusz Mika, Bartosz Bednorz
    MB: Mateusz Bieniek, Karol Kłos, Piotr Nowakowski, Marcin Możdżonek
    L: Paweł Zatorski, Damian Wojtaszek

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I honestly can't imagine anyone else other than Canada advancing from Group 2. Everyone else is still so far away from the level of Group 1. :huh:

• The dutch choked away the fourth set and the match in impressive style. They were leading 22:17 against Portugal and still gave it away. A dubious call by the ref, wild complaints and two red cards delivered some entertainment and drama as well.

I would be truly surprised if canada does not advance to first group tomorrow.

• The Canadians didn't shine much but had no trouble closing the match in three sets against Turkey. I didn't watch all three sets so I can't say much. Glenn Hoag has used Marshall (universal) and Verhoeff (MB) as opposites this summer, with the latter getting more chances lately. I don't know what is going on with Soonias. They seem to be doing fine even without Schmitt and will most probably advance to Division I.

The other semifinal was more dramatic and emotional but not necessarily of great quality. A lot of inaccuracies and technical mistakes, although some of them were due to pressure (I know how it sounds but these are important matches for these teams). The Netherlands had almost won their way back into the match and into the tie-break when Portugal scored 5 points in a row at the end of the fourth set. Something inexplicable happened. The setter van Haarlem set four consecutive balls to van Garderen and every time he failed to win the situation. Whereas it didn't look well at all for van Garderen, I couldn't understand why van Haarlem never used an alternative. And not all of those receptions were that bad. This pretty much cost the Netherlands the place in the final tomorrow as Portugal woke up, the crowd as well and it was a matter of time for them to win it in 4 sets.

Hugo Gaspar, 33, is still the best opposite Portugal has had in a decade. Neither Marco Ferreira, nor Valdir Sequeira could convince over the past years. Gaspar and, of course, Alex Ferreira were solid for Portugal tonight. Their biggest problem was the libero. Ivo Casas WAS the target of Dutch serves in the third set and had to be taken out. Although not among Europe's brightest, Miguel Tavares is an interesting setter whose game tonight I enjoyed most of the time. Sure, he doesn't really have a great variety of options to set to but I think he did a decent job. Portugal might have had ups and downs (mostly downs) in recent years but one position has caused them little to no trouble - setters. There are Tiago Violas and now Miguel Tavares, two very decent players, to replace the experienced Nuno Pinheiro.

Perhaps pumped up by the home factor, Portugal utilized their chances and somewhat deservedly made it to the final. But I don't see how they can handle the Canadians tomorrow. I am just worried what would happen to the audience in Matosinhos as there is a much more important final match the Portuguese crowd would be looking forward to following at approximately the same time :)