2016 FIVB World League

• Not such an unexpected result, the Americans are quite often Italy's pigeons in must-win matches. This said, I hope USA advances to the semifinals, I have no desire to watch Italy lose again 3-0 to Brazil for the gold medal here (or in Rio).

No, Italy is NOT going to beat Brazil at the Olympic games. We can beat anyone but them. Italy to Brazil is like Argentina to Italy.

Anyway, anyone but France. I would rather like to see the Netherlands winning another Olympic gold but not France.

• I hope this match proves we need Zaytsev as OPP. He's not a bad receiver, but he spikes much much better as OPP rather than OH, he manages to put all his strenght in the attackand finds better angles. Vettori isn't doing bad but he doesnt't convince me, he doesn't bring what Zaytsev has. If Ivan wants to be an OH, he can start from September, for the new olympic cylce :whistle: Now it is too late. Another factor is Juantorena, today completely different from yesterday. Lanza is gaining his form, I want to see him on top in Rio.

• I don't think Italy and USA can beat Brazil. France maybe....that leaves only Poland and Russia.

Italy and USA can actually beat Brazil. So far they're the only teams capable of stopping the Bruno-Lucão combo successfully with Birarelli and Lee respectively, which can impact Bruno's game quite a lot.

It's always good to remember how this Brazilian generation is always second in big tournaments. They haven't won anything important since 2010, so they're not really clear favorites. Besides, we've seen how playing at home affects their game negatively, so...

• What? ?(

Italy and USA can actually beat Brazil. So far they're the only teams capable of stopping the Bruno-Lucão combo successfully with Birarelli and Lee respectively, which can impact Bruno's game quite a lot.

It's always good to remember how this Brazilian generation is always second in big tournaments. They haven't won anything important since 2010, so they're not really clear favorites. Besides, we've seen how playing at home affects their game negatively, so...

If I recall correctly, the last time Italy beat Brazil was a 3-2 win at the 2011 World Cup (not counting the World League preliminary matches which are useless).

This was the first Italian victory after 10 YEARS. It's obvious we have a massive attitude gap against them, just like Argentina has a similar problem against Italy. I have zero hopes to beat Brazil in Rio (again, not counting the preliminary pool).

• This was the first Italian victory after 10 YEARS. It's obvious we have a massive attitude gap against them, just like Argentina has a similar problem against Italy. I have zero hopes to beat Brazil in Rio (again, not counting the preliminary pool).

But I don't notice any particular "attitude gap" against Italy ?( in fact out of the top 5 teams of the ranking Italy is the one Argentina has beaten the most the last 5 years (twice). And ARG almost won too at the WC last year. Only the last match they played bad. I mean, Italy is a better team, but Poland or Brazil are the ones Argentina always clearly struggles against.

• But I don't notice any particular "attitude gap" against Italy ?( in fact out of the top 5 teams of the ranking Italy is the one Argentina has beaten the most the last 5 years (twice). And ARG almost won too at the WC last year. Only the last match they played bad. Poland or Brazil are the ones Argentina always struggles against.

How is always losing not an attitude gap?

• Not such an unexpected result, the Americans are quite often Italy's pigeons in must-win matches. This said, I hope USA advances to the semifinals, I have no desire to watch Italy lose again 3-0 to Brazil for the gold medal here (or in Rio).

No, Italy is NOT going to beat Brazil at the Olympic games. We can beat anyone but them. Italy to Brazil is like Argentina to Italy.

Anyway, anyone but France. I would rather like to see the Netherlands winning another Olympic gold but not France.

Italy always chicken out when they play vs Brazil

• How is always losing not an attitude gap?

But dude, ARG has a losing record to all the top teams, not just Italy in particular. And despite that ARG has won some matches against Italy last few years and when they lose is never something like 3-0. This is not the case with the other top teams.

With others like Poland or Brazil it's always lose and almost always 3-0 easily. Also Russia who Argentina managed to beat in this WL for the first time in 26 years (?).

• Pool A:

1. Serbia 3 pts
    2. Poland 2
    3. France 1

Tomorrow Serbia v France. I think France having a knife on the throat will win with 3 pts.

• I doubt Serbia will play with full force, they are already qualified and may want to save strength since they will play 4 consecutive days.

• If only we had a MB :call:

I miss Mastrangelo so much ;(

Another factor is Juantorena, today completely different from yesterday. Lanza is gaining his form, I want to see him on top in Rio.

That's what really change form yesterday, imho, more than Ivan opposite: the different performances of Juantorena and Lanza, even if they're not at the top yet (and I don't know if they will ever be for Rio...). Also Giannelli played way better than yesterday.
    Ps I think that Ivan is better as OPP than as OH (and because of the attack, not of the reception) too, for the record.

But dude, ARG has a losing record to all the top teams, not just Italy in particular. And despite that ARG has won some matches against Italy last few years and when they lose is never something like 3-0. This is not the case with the other top teams.

Totally agree. I would have actually said that among the teams considered to be better than Argentina, Italy is one of those struggle the most vs them ^^'

I doubt Serbia will play with full force, they are already qualified and may want to save strength since they will play 4 consecutive days.

True, but at the same time they are the only team of the F6 that won't go to Rio...

• I doubt Serbia will play with full force, they are already qualified and may want to save strength since they will play 4 consecutive days.

But who do u think they rather play in the semifial? If they finish in 2nd they will play Brazil
    , and I doubt they want that.

• But who do u think they rather play in the semifial? If they finish in 2nd they will play Brazil
    , and I doubt they want that.

I can't see how they wouldn't like to play Brazil given what happened last time they played.
    USA can still finish first in the group if they beat Brazil 3-0, so considering that and the fact that they play before both USA and Brazil, betting on a result would be a reach for Serbia imo.

• I didn't watch the match because it was really late here.. So as I'm looking at the stats. Sander only had 6 attempts in 2 sets. If USA really wants to win, I think Sander needs more set.
    And they need to lessen their errors. 37 errors are just too much.

They won't calculate for sure, why should they? If you look their h2h it's waaay positive vs Poland than against France. Also they want to avoid Brazil in semis, they are always playing good vs Italy.

Yesterdays match vs USA showed Italy is looking much better with Zaytsev as OPP than with Vettori. Reception was more stabile, not to mention offensive play. Experiment with Zaytsev as OH didn't produce anything positive when they meet TOP teams