2016 FIVB World League

• awww, would have loved to see a fifth set :mad: But congrtas brazil, great match :teach:

• That was awesome

Btw the commentator won me over when he mentioned Mark Lebedew's drinking game

• What an amazing match from both teams :super: IMO this was the true final because neither Italy nor Serbia are on the same level as these two teams. Problem is that the two weaker teams had more time to recover which might well be an issue. Brazil and France just played a 4 set match that lasted 2.5 hrs, as much as the 5 set match in 1st semifinal.

• Toniutti :aww: :wacko: :aww:

I can't believe how poor Toniutti played in crucial moments... simply unbelieveable for a player of such caliber to make amateurish mistakes. Tillie reacted slow after France had 16-10 allowing 0-6 run, then 0-10. But French players, especially Rouzier, showed character and fought brilliant.

Congrats to Brazil, monster performance from Wallace. Seems Souza picked up injury :huh:

• What an amazing match from both teams :super: IMO this was the true final because neither Italy nor Serbia are on the same level as these two teams. Problem is that the two weaker teams had more time to recover which might well be an issue. Brazil and France just played a 4 set match that lasted 2.5 hrs, as much as the 5 set match in 1st semifinal.

2 hours more or less of rest wont make a difference. All 4 teams will get full night of sleep and be ready for tomorrow.

Serbia not on the same level as Serbia? Then Why France could not beat Poland? and they had 1 week off before going to Poland. And why France only took Serbia down on the 5set on the verge of elimination??

Brazil`s only loss came from Serbia...

Anyways... I hope Serbia wins tomorrow their first ever World League ....

• France and Brazil look like they belong to another category but please let's not write out Poland and Italy out of Rio already like they will lose all their matches 3-0. If anything I would be worried to see teams peaking so early, everything can happen between tomorrow and the quarterfinal match, the first match of the Olympic tournament that really matters.

• The commentator on the FIVB stream is annoying, isn't he?

Well, I also think he is probably the best we've heard. It should be Clayton Lucas, if I am not wrong. Although he doesn't always pay attention and makes some mistakes (who doesn't), he is not doing a bad job and doesn't get too "American". I am pleased with his coverage.

As I know, from discussion with Serbian players, Grbić have done more detailed tactics than in previous seasons. This means he has, for each opponent, different pair of OH's. Nikić is calmer player than Uroš, who is quite passionate, and probably counted on Nikić's experience in clasg against hosts. Previous season he used OH's without deeper analysis. So far it works perfectly

This is something meaningful now and I am happy it is the case for Serbia. Of course, Nikic's role is only on the reception line, he can't contribute anywhere else anymore. And we all know he is far from his best years, so I rather question his presence in the NT overall. But he did well against Poland, for instance, so maybe Grbic still needs him. Besides, watching Uros struggle against Sottile's floats yesterday makes you appreciate a good receiver, albeit a weaker attacker. I woudn't say that Ivovic or Petric (or Uros, for that matter) are bad passers, for example, so I doubt Nikic will be missed in the long run.

Interesting, what you wrote reminded of Andrea Anastasi's Italy from the OG 2008. In that period Anastasi used pairs of OHs, grouping them accroding to skills, compatibility to each other and individual characteristics. Correct me if I recall it in a wrong way, Cisolla usually came on court alongside Matteo Martino, whereas Hristo Zlatanov played next to Paparoni. I love those kind of tactical twists.

IMO this loss is going to have huuuge impact on USA players. Brazil reserve players, 2:0 in sets, 2 match balls and they are going home. Sounds brutal :white: Since Speraw took NT I can't remember single important match they've won. World Cup is minor tournament for me, results there depends on various reasons etc. Either Speraw doesn't posses enough quality to lead this great group or they dont have selfconfidence.

Come on, you don't mean that. You were probably affected by the defeat to the Brazilian bench. Speraw has done some serious work with the NT. And there is a list of great games and wins to prove that ;) Besides, regardless of a weaker tournament in Krakow for the USA, they still remain one of the top 4 in the world and a potential Olympics medallist. By the way, the World Cup is not that minor ;)

I was speechless last night after the great show between France and Brazil. Maybe not all players on court had an amazing evening but the level was unbelievable. This was surely one of the greatest matches I have watched and I won't consider it an overstatement if I put this on top or somewhere very near :) The only thing worth discussing is what had happened to both Mauricios. I remember Souza from his time in Turkey with Halkbank 3 years ago, now he is nowhere near that mediocrity. He looks far more imposing than Lucas :huh: I hope his injury is not serious. Brazil would survive today's final without him but I would love to watch him again in Rio. Borges is now a beast as well. I really want to know how they did it and who influenced that progress.

True, France is not the same team from 2015 but there is a chance we see the old French team in August. However, this is certainly the best Brazilian squad we've seen since, I would say, 2010. Perhaps the time has come for them to end that drought and win gold just before the Games. Which, by the way, would guarantee them nothing for one reason most of all - they always somehow manage to undermine expectations at home. Also, I don't think either France or Brazil are peaking just right now. There is more to come from France for sure and there is still room for some improvement for Brazil. I am optimistic that both teams' peaks will converge in a month.

The first semifinal was not less entertaining but it wasn't that brilliant in terms of quality. I enjoyed watching it nevertheless and I won't consider it disappointing. This first thing that grabbed my attention was the bad Italian setting. Giannelli didn't have a good day, he overloaded Zaytsev and Juantorena, the direction of his passes was predictable most of the time. Sottile is a safe choice, he doesn't take risks and often passes the ball to his closest attacker. Which Serbia couldn't use and, as Kaziyski said, couldn't materialize in a larger block number. But it was a definite improvement for Italy since that opener against Brazil. I mean since then because their best match was against the USA.

Serbia reached the final without a reliable opposite. Dokic did a very decent job against France, whereas Luburic can't be always trusted in those critical moments. Lisinac is definitely the best "human" blocker right now. But while Simon still plays, I think it is futile to discuss the N1 position in the world :) I am glad for that Serbian team, they might have even overachieved based on the players they have and those that are missing. Grbic did a fine role motivating his lads, it was obvious also during the time-outs. Unfortunately, regardless of that 3-1 win in Belgrade, I just don't see how they will surprise Brazil today.

• Do you think Brasil peaked too early?

That doesnt exist.
    50% of the time. the World League winner won the Olympics. It is not higher because of Italy and Yugoslavia ....That includes 2004 and 2008., Kevin Barnnet said if USA had not won the 08 World League they would never have won the OG ....
    of course in 2012 Russia and Brazil failed bad in the WL....
    anyways the OG starts in 3 weeks only, the way how teams are playing now wont change much in a short ammount of time...

• It will change an awful lot of coaches do good work. It will even change quite a lot during OG from first to last match...

Yeah sure...after the first day, we will see that Argentina and Canada will be going for Gold, while Brazil and Poland wont even make to the QF...olololo

• According to FIVB site France will play without Toniutti and Ngapeth who both are injured ;( I remember Toniutti twisted his ankle yesterday so probably they want to rest him, but what's with Ngapeth? The match quality will suffer a lot...

EDIT: After all at least Ngapeth is in starting six :thumbup:

• Juantorena is making stupid reception mistakes. But I don't think the solution is totally benching him. How about substituting him for 1-2 positions with a defensive player like Maurotti or second libero(as a player). This is just stupid. Perhaps Blengini is so brave (!)