2016 Olympic Games - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

• I dont understand Spanish that much....what is the article saying why Rodrigo Quiroga should not make to Rio?

Nope, that article just tells about the list being released, nothing more ?(

I don't think there is any special reason for him being dropped tbh, just coach preferences.

• Nope, that article just tells about the list being released, nothing more ?(

I don't think there is any special reason for him being dropped tbh, just coach preferences.

Is Velasco's starting lineup being discussed in Argentina right now? We probably won't know for sure before the Games start but I am curious about the combination of players he would choose. Is Conte going to be an OPP? Bruno Lima was not bad during the WL but the tournament in Rio will be something totally different. If he chooses to start with Conte as an OPP, then Argentina will be in serious need of attacking OHs and it is when Quiroga could've been a real asset. I don't see how a player like Poglajen, for instance, could make a difference. Maybe we'll see a tactical innovation :)

• Is Velasco's starting lineup being discussed in Argentina right now? We probably won't know for sure before the Games start but I am curious about the combination of players he would choose. Is Conte going to be an OPP? Bruno Lima was not bad during the WL but the tournament in Rio will be something totally different. If he chooses to start with Conte as an OPP, then Argentina will be in serious need of attacking OHs and it is when Quiroga could've been a real asset. I don't see how a player like Poglajen, for instance, could make a difference. Maybe we'll see a tactical innovation :)

Pretty sure Lima will start as OPP and Conte as OH (Bruno being the other OH). If it's not working then Poglajen will probably be subbed in as OPP

I don't know why you rate Quiroga that much, to me he hasn't been much useful... and he's been given a lot of opportunities.

• Pretty sure Lima will start as OPP and Conte as OH (Bruno being the other OH). If it's not working then Poglajen will probably be subbed in as OPP

I don't know why you rate Quiroga that much, to me he hasn't been much useful... and he's been given a lot of opportunities.

I think Argentina has finally collected a group of quality spikers (albeit not world top-class) for the very first time in a decade. All the hitters performed pretty well during WL, in spite of Conte's absence.

A healthy Conte will definitely be a starting OH. He would be comfortably paired with Bruno, Poglajen and Palacios (in my order of preference). Either Palacios or Lima would be starting OPP.

Bruno is good in reception and defense, and with a height of 188cm, his offense is not a weakness.

I'm glad that Poglajen is back to his prime like four years ago, after a mediocre performance playing as OPP in World Cup last year.

Palacios's reception may not be as stable as the other two players, but is not a particularly weak link. Velasco experimented with him as an OPP during WL (I think he sometimes played as OPP before?), and he's far better than the OPP players Argentina has been using these years.

Their WL performance already showed that they're quite a competitive team. They lack some confidence and determination at the final moments to grab a victory from strong teams. With a boost from Conte, Argentina definitely is a dark horse in Rio. They could go to semi-final with the help of some luck.

Uriarte is missed as a world-class setter, and his decision to take a break from volleyball during the olympic year is a bit hard to understand! He's only 26! What's fortunate for Argentina is that the team never lacks good players in the setter's position.

• I wonder what will be with Russian NT in Rio, if they pariticipate at all :whistle: 8 players from NT between 2012 and 2015 used doping :call:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I wonder what will be with Russian NT in Rio, if they pariticipate at all :whistle: 8 players from NT between 2012 and 2015 used doping :call:

Arent their names revealed?

• Arent their names revealed?

unfrotunately not - they mentioned that there are 8 indoor volley players and 2 beach volley, no more info yet, I suppose that Alexandr Markin can be there because of meldonium issue, but no info yet, FIVB wants to get names from WADA :call:

This is getting a serious, very serious problem for Russia in general. I mean, this is going to reflect on clubs as well. What's important we don't have information did players used doping in clubs or in NT. It's essential to know what's reason for this, who gave them doping and did Federation knew about that...

In short Alekno is deep s**t

• Volleyball Magazin created 3 scenarios about what might happen if Russian team gets excluded from the Olympics. But these are only assumptions, as there are no infos from FIVB so far:

1) Russia could be substituted by another european team, which would be Germany as per OGQT tournament result.

2) Only the tournament in japan will be taken into consideration. That would mean Australia gets the russian spot.

3) If World ranking would be applied, Germany would go to Rio as momentarily they are the best ranked non qualified team.

Lets wait and see. Personally i hope that we will see the russian team in Rio......

• Verhoef is an MB, Marshal is usually used as back up Op.

well, Verhoeff in last games played as pure OP and Marshall was rather playing as OH so IMHO it's correct ^^ but of course either Marshall or Hoag can also play as OP, but probably Verhoeff will be first to replace Schmitt :wavy:

so no place for Dan Lewis (L), Adam Simac (MB), Toontje Van Lankvelt (OH), all of them were in main team throughout last years...

• well, Verhoeff in last games played as pure OP and Marshall was rather playing as OH so IMHO it's correct ^^ but of course either Marshall or Hoag can also play as OP, but probably Verhoeff will be first to replace Schmitt :wavy:

so no place for Dan Lewis (L), Adam Simac (MB), Toontje Van Lankvelt (OH), all of them were in main team throughout last years...

Thanks a lot! I didn't know that, in the qualies Verhoeff played as a MB.

• in WL he played only as OP ^^

• I'll have an article on Volleywood later tonight US west coast time on the potential teams. You've got to look at the FIVB regulations for the tournament at the beginning going back to February 2015.

• I'll have an article on Volleywood later tonight US west coast time on the potential teams. You've got to look at the FIVB regulations for the tournament at the beginning going back to February 2015.

you mean this rule?:

If an allocated quota place is not confirmed by the NOC by the confirmation of quota place deadline or is declined by the NOC, the quota place will be reallocated to the next best ranked NOC, not yet qualified in the competition where the quota place was obtained.

But it is not very clear because there had been second qualies. And it doesn't say anything about time maybe it is very late to replace another team, I think German/Australian/Serbian are all on the beaches on vacation, If they are not still training because of this low probability to be invited to Rio.

And another issue is that this rule says if quota is declined by NOC it is not talking about that NOC being banned.