2017 FIVB World League

• I don't want to ask meaningless questions about logic concerning FIVB, but just to clarify the process - are the lower divisions going to disappear or are they going to play recreational volleyball in their spare time? I guess the procedure of "inviting" and "replacing" participants will be taken in a dark room in Switzerland, as it used to be.

well the article didn't say anything about that directly but they mention "Level 1" once . so maybe there are other divisions. even though I'm not sure

Edit; I read the article once again, from what I understand there won't be any other division. FIVB is not happy with the current format financially.

if anybody interested they also mentioned the format and even the draw ! there will be 5 weeks, 15 matches for each team, everybody plays everybody once (no more. no less) each country will host one weekend.
    I don't think the draw doesn't really matter with this format but for example Iran will play France, Japan and Australia in 1st weekend.

• well the article didn't say anything about that directly but they mention "Level 1" once . so maybe there are other divisions. even though I'm not sure

Edit; I read the article once again, from what I understand there won't be any other division. FIVB is not happy with the current format financially.

I could not be more disappointed at this :aww:

• I`m not sure about this new format, 5 weeks and 15 games, plus the final ? That is too much, players already struggles with 9 games in 3 weeks plus the Finals. Makes no sense to make the tournament longer.

And the 3 division format has been really exciting, even on Division 2 and 3. Games has well attendance.

Finland vs Australia - 7,723
    Japan vs South Korea - 6,500
    Finland vs China - 6,438
    Korea vs Check Rep. - 3,330
    Korea vs Finland - 4,450
    Turkey vs Nehterlands - 3,500
    Japan vs Turkey - 5,600
    Check Republic vs Ned - 3,500

and so on , all Home team games had over 1k

Divison 3

Spain vs Greece - 3,000
    Germany vs Venezeula - 1,617
    Austria vs Mexico - 1,450

Some games did not go over 1k, but all had at least over 500 fans.

• Estonia is a well-known team in Europe, no wonder if they challenge Germany seriously for the first place in Division III, but the positive surprise, also including the WCH qualifiers in the Netherlands, is Austria. I can't even explain how they let Spain beat them 0-3 at home in Linz. They would've made it to Mexico for the finals instead

Yes, Estonia and Germany should be favourites. The little obstacle might be playing in Leon at 1900 metres altitude. An unusual flight of the ball and early exhaustion could play in the cards of team chubby Mexico. But as bad as Mexico played against Germany, it is hard to imagine that they can win. The semifinals are not known yet but i suppose, Mexico will choose Spain. With the new format for next year, the biggest thrill for this tournament has gone anyway.

Austria had their moment of glory with winning against Germany. The german team really had an off night but the Ösis really played inspired and pumped up in front of their home crowd too.They have become truly a decent team and once they will find a better setter they could even become better. For Germany, the lack of any decent block/defense was evident and they made Berger/Koraiman look like Leon/Anderson. Speaking of this, this surely is the most important area, Giani needs to work on with the team.
    In the match against Spain, tragic hero for austria was berger who seriously shed some tears after he got kill blocked for the last point. But he really played like a boss against Germany :thumbup:

Edit; I read the article once again, from what I understand there won't be any other division. FIVB is not happy with the current format financially

This would very much make sense for the remaining european teams. They could have better and more cheaper competition in a kind of "European League".

• I may be alone in this, but I like the new format. It's more similar to the old WL format we had until some years ago (that I loved) and everyone gets to play everyone, no more easier schedule bullshit for some teams. The only negative is having deadweights like Korea and China instead of Belgium/Slovenia, but whatever...

• So all the top teams seem to be there next year with the exception of EGY and CUB that were replaced by KOR and CHN :thumbup:

• I may be alone in this, but I like the new format. It's more similar to the old WL format we had until some years ago (that I loved) and everyone gets to play everyone, no more easier schedule bullshit for some teams. The only negative is having deadweights like Korea and China instead of Belgium/Slovenia, but whatever...

Any formula is better than the current one, no question about that. What we mostly dislike is not the actual formula itself but the lack of transparency (well, evidence of money, you got my point) regarding something that has affected the world rakings. Plus, the constant changes it has come with and the ignorance towards the efforts of some teams. I wish no one cared about that tournament, but there are financial and sports reasons to do so. Had it been unrelated to the world rankings, for instance, I am sure we may not have even had a thread to discuss here.

• Host is always ranked as 1st team and plays against the weakest in semifinals :D

• Yamauchi is still really young and came to the sport late. But his height is an advantage for the Japanese team. Fujii and Lee (Ri) play on the same team Toray Arrows, so there is a connection. What is funny is that Fukatsu the Captain is considered of the "NEXT 4" but did not even play this past weekend. Fujii did a great job to get Japan the 3 wins last week.

Yanagida as a server is just scary. He is expecting to go overseas to play as a professional this season.

akito, i think you mean yanagida. yes, he's very dynamic and his serving is quite good. i also like otake, but i had hoped to see more of kentaro takahashi, i did not watch much of the previous year so i didn't get much of a chance to evaluate him. fujii is a better setter than fukatsu, in my opinion.

i saw parts of the JPN x TUR match, at the end of the 1st set, one hapless TUR OH gets blocked 4 times in the same rally! instead of hitting higher or around the block, he just keeps hitting it harder and harder ... crazy.

• Sooo great by polish fans that they brought their signalhorns to the match, so that iranian guys can feel like at home :lol:

Doesn't really help so far but i appreciate the effort 8)

EDIT
    there actually seems to be good amount of iranians in the stand

• That`s why I think 15 games it is too much.

Just look at how Iran is playing right now, just awful, last weekend they played 14 sets, and they are playing 1 day earlier now, they have no energy and no desire to win, just letting easy balls fall down, ugly volleyball. And this is their 7th match, I can not even imagine how they would be playing if this was their 14th or 15th game.

• Watched just the final points of Italy-France first set and Giannelli performed a couple of world-class sets. Kid is going to be one of the greatest ever. :aww:

Actually he is playing his worst tournament ever. He used to play way better than this. He is making a lot of mistakes while setting (short balls in 2/ imprecise balls in 4 and in back row), and his serve and block are not as good as they were before and now everyone knows he like score points with the second touch, so they pay attention and so he get blocked or they easily cover his balls.

It's possible, you just have to believe in yourself and really not care what other people say, because I've heard it all.
    If you let someone else dictate what you're going to do in life, then you won't get there.

Non so neanche come onestamente: in due mesi ero di nuovo in campo.

• Kliuka is back for Russia. They are playing better than they last weekend.

I feel for Vlasov, hopefully his injury is nothing bad.

And I don`t think Gianelli is having a good tournament.