2017 FIVB World League

• I wonder if I watched a different match ?! You guys talk about Iran-Italy match like it was completely one-sided . while in reality all 3 sets were close. of course the final result was disappointing and even the performance at some point but that was not surprising. Iran is having a new coach, some players are injured, some of them are not in shape. actually they stated to do something from the middle of 2nd set. shame they missed crucial points but still losing to Italy (even without Zaitsev and Juantorena) in Italy in 3 close sets is not a disaster. things could be different if Iran had a half decent middle blocker instead of M. Gholami who missed almost every single spikes and blocked nothing.

This forum is always like that, if you lose you're trash and if you win you're the best ever, even if it's the first game of meaningless world league. I don't know if you follow the italian league thread, but I have read users saying there that x player is trash then same user the following week saying that he's great :lol:

• I wonder if I watched a different match ?! You guys talk about Iran-Italy match like it was completely one-sided . while in reality all 3 sets were close. of course the final result was disappointing and even the performance at some point but that was not surprising. Iran is having a new coach, some players are injured, some of them are not in shape. actually they stated to do something from the middle of 2nd set. shame they missed crucial points but still losing to Italy (even without Zaitsev and Juantorena) in Italy in 3 close sets is not a disaster. things could be different if Iran had a half decent middle blocker instead of M. Gholami who missed almost every single spikes and blocked nothing.

I didn't expect Iran to win a match this weekend (even though tonight match was winnable) I guess they can win couple of matches next weekend in Tehran.

in 3 years with Kovac and Lozano they added only one half-decent player to the NT which is Ebadipour. a bit of downfall is excepted with main players aging even though none of them are really old but I believe they are not much motivated, it's time to bring new players to the NT. I didn't like it when they signed with Kolakovic but now he is the coach I prefer to be optimistic, he is still learning about the players, at least he is tough and knows how to handle these guys. that Kovac era gave them bad habits. and Lozano didn't change much.

Yeah, you're right, I guess I jumped the shark a little bit too quick. I forgot they once again have a new coach this yeah, not to mention Seyed didn't even play as well. I do hope, however, that they can get to their best shape once again like they did in 2013/2014. They still are a very exciting team with a lot of potential to make things even more interesting internationally.

By the way, what happened to Mirzajanpour? The Ghaemi/Mirzajanpour duo used to be so good and effective a while ago and it feels like they never play together in the NT anymore. Is Ebadipour simply better?

• I agree, it was a fought and quite entertaining match imho!! For me Iran played well, they did a lot of defence!! And very few serve errors ;)
    Pity that Mousavi wasn't there.

I don't think, though, that you need to "find excuses" for the result: at this point of the post olympic WL almost everybody has one or more missing key players/a new coach/short time to train together (and there are players that never played together) etc.
    Also Italy have two of three, but both Poland and Brazil has a new coach for example.

• By the way, what happened to Mirzajanpour? The Ghaemi/Mirzajanpour duo used to be so good and effective a while ago and it feels like they never play together in the NT anymore. Is Ebadipour simply better?

MirzaJP is a better spiker while Ebadipour was supposed to be a better receiver. Kolakovic played with both "better" receivers to improve the reception as he knew Italy (and other top teams) will take risk in serves.

• Brazil beat Iran 3-1 with awesome performances by Evandro with 27 points and newcomer libero Thales. :super: It seemed like Thales had been playing with the team for years now, he was really good for his first time ever with the NT. Looks like Brendle is gonna have competition the next few years!

Otávio played instead of Lucão and struggled quite a bit throughout the match, but ended on a high note at least. Bruno and Maurício Borges were also a lot better than yesterday; Bruno was shaky in the first set but got his shit together during the second set.

In Iran, Marouf, Ghafour and M. Gholami were the best by far. Marandi had some really great digs too. It was pretty outstanding how Iran only had like 3 errors after two sets today, everything seemed to be working flawlessly.

ETA: Belgium just beat Serbia in straight sets in Novi Sad! :white:

• Coach Renan should consider giving the young guys playing time. I mean I know Evandro was great but he will be 36 in Poland next year and 38 in Tokyo Olympics. :white:

They also need a deeper bench for the setter position. Bruno is not getting younger anymore and he's gonna play in Italy along with the likes of Eder and Lucas in Turkey.

:white:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I think he is afraid of the results he would get with the young guys, and he wants to win to impress people and show Bernardo won't be missed.

It is really stupid, Brazil is qualified for the Finals, just let these 30 ish men rest. And I think the youngsters would do just fine.

A lot of these guys will be almost 40 in Tokyo.

Coach Renan should consider giving the young guys playing time. I mean I know Evandro was great but he will be 36 in Poland next year and 38 in Tokyo Olympics. :white:

They also need a deeper bench for the setter position. Bruno is not getting younger anymore and he's gonna play in Italy along with the likes of Eder and Lucas in Turkey.

:white:

• I must said that despite the defeat I'm quite pleased with the italian game today: of course – as expected – it isn't flawless (for example, Vettori-Giannelli connection needs to be perfected), of course there are regrets (third set: we lost 25-23 after being 22-20 and 23-22 – but there were also great merits of Lucarelli from the service line; fourth set: from 16-16 to 16-21, may be even 22 for Brazil)... but I see a good fight spirit. And sometimes also nice volleyball ;)
    Of course vs Poland and Brazil playing well 2 sets of 4 will probably lead to a defeat, that's clear. Today a tie break wouldn't have been undeserved, though.

Ps I din't watch the first set!

Pps A very good rally on 'Problemi di volley' Fb page

• Why Smith doesnt have American flag on his jersey?

• Quite a solid performance from Italy I must say. Middles were really good and Antonov entered really well earlier on, not to mention the countless digs from Lanza and Colaci, which pretty much killed Brazil in the second set.

I think from Brazil this was my least favorite game this weekend. Reception was shaky most of the time, middles weren't as effective as they could and Bruno didn't really perform all that well once again. I'm liking that Renan is at least making some tests with the liberos and MBs, now I just hope for more rotation between the OPPs and especially OHs.

• USA pretty much risked everything on giving Garrett and Shoji the receiving duties in the fourth set. Taylor was more free in the attack but the blocking was on point for Belgium.

USA also made too many errors on the service which ruined their chances on sealing the fourth set win and forcing a fifth.

I like Ben Patch. USA needs more players like him which probably means closing the door on Carson Clark if Matt Anderson stays as an opposite or injured.

I think USA can still win games but not without Thomas Jaeschke. USA needs more to be in system and they can't do that with Taylor Sander is being forced out of play by the service pressure. I'm guessing Thomas can be more trusted with the high ball situations more than the other OHs in USA which can provide a lot more variety in their offense for USA.

Still, a tough draw ahead for USA from here on.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• I like this young Iran Setter. Very tall and quick to his feet. Wish he plays more with the middle but the high contact can really help in upping the tempo to his jumpset so it's cool even if he does not do it.

#FreeBritney

• Ahhh Sokolov is such a hunk. :obey:

#FreeBritney

• That Black Canadian Teenager will be going to places no Canadian has ever reached before. I guarantee you that unless injury hampers his future. :drink:

#FreeBritney