Men's World Grand Champions Cup 2017

• Ok sabbi took that 2 glorious points back with 2 erros in the 5th lol

Ebadipour is doing great giving IRI the chance to win this maych

• And according to the live score I guess we collapsed again in the tie break... I'm pretty sure we won only one tie break this summer, vs France in WL.
    And now we lost vs the only other team we were able to beat in WL, now I see what Blengini meant with 'bring continuity to our progresses' :lol:

Anyway it seems it was a quite tough and - for at least 3 sets - close match, so I imagine I can't really complain. At least they tried (and for the little I've seen, Iran was playing very well).

Ps Italy 67 spike vs 67, 15 block vs 8 (but it was 11-4 at the beginning of the 4th...), 8 aces vs 3.... and Italy 42 errors vs 22. Practically impossible to win making all these gift and receiving so little in exchange. I guess it can be partially explained with more jump serve vs float serve for Italy, but still...

• Congrats to IRI! Marouf’s magic is back. His spikers perfectly timing those glrious sets especially when out of system. Defense is commendable as wel, the libero really worked the floor.

For ITA, do you have a decent u23 opp who can be prep until tokyo2020? Vettori is not going to happen, so pls make it stop.

• The set by Giannelli to the opposite was generally not idealfor both Vettori and Sabbi but I feel Sabbi has more potential to beat the blockers if they become the partners instead of Vettori with Giannelli. There were just too many times Vettori tip the ball and it's hard to forgive those at this level.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

That was Lanza who hit the antenna

I checked, it was Lanza.
    Sorry Giulio!

For ITA, do you have a decent u23 opp who can be prep until tokyo2020? Vettori is not going to happen, so pls make it stop.

We have Nelli (1993) that also has a good connection with Giannelli, in fact I was hoping for him as second opposite during WL or even this tournament (to work in perspective).
    Then there is Argenta, last year I think best scorer in A2 and this year second of Sabbi in Modena. And trained by Stoytchev, an important detail. I think the idea is to have him as titular the next years, may be even the next one... unless Zaytsev happens.

Vettori theorethically will play three years with Giannelli under Lorenzetti, let's cross our fingers (I still like him more than Sabby anyway, even if the second has a better attitude on court).

And then for Tokyo there could be Zaytsev as well...

• We have Nelli (1993) that also has a good connection with Giannelli, in fact I was hoping for him as second opposite during WL or even this tournament (to work in perspective).
    Then there is Argenta, last year I think best scorer in A2 and this year second of Sabbi in Modena. And trained by Stoytchev, an important detail. I think the idea is to have him as titular the next years, may be even the next one... unless Zaytsev happens.

Vettori theorethically will play three years with Giannelli under Lorenzetti, let's cross our fingers (I still like him more than Sabby anyway, even if the second has a better attitude on court).

And then for Tokyo there could be Zaytsev as well...

Those youngsters sound promising. Really hoping ITA could provide a young 2nd OPP stringers just like what USA, FRA etc., are doing in this new olympic cycle. Zaytzev, I believe, has still a lot to offer in his sleeves (not sure about in his shoes though :lol: ) come Tokyo 2020.

• Onto the last game of the day. Hope JPN mens could show what their womens did last week.

First intl tourney for Russell, Holt and Anderson after their breaks.

• I don't think Nelli is weaker (or at least not that weaker) than Patch or Boyer, but who knows.
    After all, in Trento he showed a lot of good thing these two years.
    From attack to serve to block (not his best skill though) to defense to set (he was a setter). And very positive attitude imho.

About Argenta I read great things but I haven't seen him playing, I'm eager to.

Zaytsev also have Redbull sleeves anyway :lol: but I think he won't be allowed to use it in the Superlega aswell, they changed the rule about the personal sponsors.

'tabellino' of Ita-Ira
    Scores of the players.
    Why Mazzone was subbed if he did 6 blocks? :what:

• Itay vs. Iran wasn't technically a great match but it was a very entertaining one. It would appeal to those who like longer rallies, both teams dug a lot in defence and struggled at times in attack. A lot of unforced errors, but also a good game overall for both setters. Although Marouf kind of blacked out in the middle of the 4th set, committing two brutal mistakes in a row, he may have won the "battle" with Giannelli. If you think about it, we can find a lot of similarities between this Italian team without Zaytsev and Iran. Both rely on some defensive skills, both have "shorter" and not quite reliable offensively OHs, both have smart setters who can play fast, both enjoy pipes, and both even have similar-style starting opposites. Because both Vettori and Ghafour play a faster ball and are not very physical or powerful, although Vettori hasn't been himself in a while (or maybe isn't just good enough). Hence, when both committed some/a lot of mistakes, there is no surprise the match ended in 5 sets and the the more focused team won in the end. True, the Iranian MBs and their attacks were crucial, but I would be really upset with the Iranian block if I were their fan. You would get the feeling these guys are there just to attack and eventually do some passive blocking, I think I only saw a decent stuff block by Ebadipour in the tie-break. Even Mousavi could only help in attack. There is a lot of work Kolakovic needs to do in that aspect, but true, it's the end now of a long season and the tournament is useless, let's not draw general conclusions.

Italy's season, however, showed whether they can be a good team without Zaytsev. Good and never to be underestimated - yes, dangerous - not really. They failed badly in all tournaments this summer, even a title (theoretically speaking) from the WGCC wouldn't have made up for the problems and the bad results. And good that they won't win it as they will need to make some decisions in the next few months. They have a home WCH and I can't imagine this same team going there without Zaytsev.

It made me think whether Zaytsev's absence is as vital as Ngapeth's. In my opinion, it is even bigger. The French have more quality overall in their team and can do well even without Ngapeth. The latter can be a game changer, no question about, but France's system and style can work with a similar success even without him being around all the time. Now, why they would fail for a second tournament in a row is a different story. I don't think it has to do ONLY with exhaustion, as Kaziyski said, but the reasons, I believe, could be a bit more complex.

By the way, I have always thought that Lanza won't know what to do if there are no blockers (respectively, fingers and hands) against him :huh:

• The latter can be a game changer, no question about, but France's system and style can work with a similar success even without him being around all the time.

I agree.
    But I would think that Juantorena somehow was even more crucial than Zaytsev (or may be it's just me having too much faith in Vettori...). And consider that he would have probably play as OH, where he isn't that incisive (well, the serve is still there and he blocks better from 4, but in attack from 4 I would almost dare to say Lanza is more reliable...) - notice that after the WL I thought Blengini had to strongly reconsider the idea of Zaytsev as OH.

I have always thought that Lanza won't know what to do if there are no blockers (respectively, fingers and hands) against him

True :lol: Unless we're talking about the pipe ;)

They have a home WCH and I can't imagine this same team going there without Zaytsev.

I guess that nobody can... my bet is that at least one between him or Osmany will be back...
    I would even hope in Kovar but I'm not hopeful about that.

• Thought it obviously look like an easy win for my fav team, USA, I am still not convinved that they are back to their true form. A real test starts tomorrow with IRI who had shown a lot of improvements in all skills vs their WL performance. JPN has a lot to work on. They need height and power to fight head-to-head with WL Grp 1 next edition.