Men's Club World Championship 2017

• This is the Sada I know. They're still shaky at some points, but it seems they've woken up.

No, this is surely not the Cruzeiro team we had known for the past 2-3 seasons. Unfortunately, they seem to have reached their peak back then and with this roster they became very good but not amazing. And amazing is what they used to be. It will be probably more correct to say that this is the Cruzeiro side we will know from now on.

William could make a difference for them and he is no longer there (his age would have also become a factor sooner or later). There is no comparison between Evandro and Wallace. But Evandro could still function with William alongside him. Uriarte is not good enough for this team. Serginho might've been a decent libero some seasons ago but what I saw during the entire tournament from him was disappointing, to say the least. I had never watched Telles before but he should've played more considering how pathetic Evandro was. Too bad Rodrigo Leao didn't play enough but Filipe was relatively consistent and scored some very difficult balls.

True, this is where Cruzeiro's world domination ends. They seem to have great youngsters and school, maybe they can soon start a new reign. But until then maybe it's time to have a different Brazilian or South American champion, why not?

• My award prediction;
    If Zenit wins;
    Libero: Grebennikov (Grebennikov's stats are not good but they will still give it to his name)
    Setter: Christenson (statistically he is the best setter)
    MB: Lisinac- Samoylenko (because of block number,winner team) or Simon (because of his name)
    OH: Leon- Mikhaylov (depending on attack percentage, winner team)
    OPP: Sokolov (best scorer of the tournament

If Lube wins;
    Libero :Grebennikov
    Setter: Christenson
    MB: Lisinac- Simon (only because of his name)
    OH: Leon-Juantorena
    OPP: Sokolov

Maybe they will give one more award to Zenit
    They're strictly using the stats so maybe we will see some surprises

• To be quite frank...I don't think Sada Cruzeiro really was the strongest club in the world.

Although a lot of brazilian fans kept on parroting online that Sada was the strongest club and the Superliga is the most competitive professional volleyball league of the world for the last 3 years or so. I always felt that the odds were in their favor every time FIVB has this tournament.

Unlike European clubs who have to face harsher situations. I mean... how many times did Sada faced a team as strong as Italian,Polish or Russian clubs in the highest continental tournament like in Champions League? You also have to add up the number of matches the european clubs from the national to champions league which puts the said teams to the risk of not having the time to fully heal in cases of injuries or illnesses. It seems like european clubs always faced so much more than Sada Cruzeiro ever had which probably affects their game.

This is also a fun fact to state. Sada Cruzeiro only won the FIVB CWC in Brazil. I think that's something to consider. A lot of clubs flew all the way across the atlantic ocean to South America in order to participate in the World Championship. Time zones can be different and can cause some sensations that players are not always used to.

Also the dates for this tournament is usually bad for teams with players who are currently playing in their national teams.

For Sada... It used to be just Wallace and Isac(then became Evandro or William for 2016.)

I really feel this date is perfect. Either May or December where players are still in connection with their club teammates.

October has been such a tricky date. A lot of club players are still probably not feeling their teammates. Just too early for the tournament.

I really like the new format. We have a lot of good teams and Europe is not f***** anymore. PanAmerica having more teams than Europe was just laughable for such a long time. With the lineup that we have... I think the balance is restored. It's also great that Poland has always been a good host nation. The atmosphere is just amazing and italian and russian fans can always travel to Poland which will help minimize the power struggle between the fans of the host nation and the visiting clubs. Brazilian fans are everywhere in this world anyway... It's a win-win situation in my opinion plus Poland always chokes. :win:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited 4 times, last by Rains_of_Castamere ().

• No, this is surely not the Cruzeiro team we had known for the past 2-3 seasons. Unfortunately, they seem to have reached their peak back then and with this roster they became very good but not amazing. And amazing is what they used to be. It will be probably more correct to say that this is the Cruzeiro side we will know from now on.

I meant the fighting spirit and the improved service performance in the game against ZAKSA if compared to the one against Lube, where they truly didn't even feel like a team.

Also, as expected, it only takes one loss for people to come out and discredit all of Sada's achievements in order to favor clubs from Europe. :roll:

• May I ask how many times Brazil hosted the games in a row? :win:

And they were defeated twice by two european clubs by the way... :whistle:

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Sada won three times including two against Zenit Kazan in the past years. But hey, let's find all the possible excuses to that...poor Zenit, poor guys who have to travel all the way to Brazil...

• Sada won three times including two against Zenit Kazan in the past years. But hey, let's find all the possible excuses to that...poor Zenit, poor guys who have to travel all the way to Brazil...

This is not a battle of favorites, my dear.

I am neither a fan of Sada and Zenit.

Just analyzing the reasons why Sada has won 3 times out four of their host nation rights. You can disagree without trying to bull-ishing your way out of the Sada losses in this tournament but it doesn't change the fact that it is truly difficult to play under those conditions. Similar reasons to why Sada failed in the past until that time. Having a neutral ground could be beneficial for all the teams. Poland... I can consider a very good host because of what I said earlier.

#FreeBritney

• Sada has never been the best team in the world. They just benefited from the advantage of the time zone (that this year has damaged them) and generous refs in Brazil. Right now, Zenit is the best team in the world by far (they can loose this evening, but they are still the best). By considering the league, I think that the best one is the Italian as usual

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

• Sada has never been the best team in the world. They just benefited from the advantage of the time zone (that this year has damaged them) and generous refs in Brazil. Right now, Zenit is the best team in the world by far (they can loose this evening, but they are still the best). By considering the league, I think that the best one is the Italian as usual

This is just ridiculous. Sada has prove it not only one, but 3 times, they were the best. And those excuses to “prove” Sada didn’t deserve their titles is just ridiculous. So Poland won 2014 FIVB WCH because they hosted it? And had the advantage of time zone over Brazil? So Brazil won 2016 Olympics just because they were in their home? Just doesn’t make sense. Zenit can be better right now, but this doesn’t erase Sada’s achievements (and 2 of them over Zenit).

I agree!!
    Ok, they may have had some advantages, but it isn't an occasional lucky victory we're speaking about...

Still, Zenit was definitely close and now imho is the best team, no matter how tonight the final will end.

About the best league, I don't think we can assume the best League is the one with the best team. Ask Bruno which League he thinks it's the best :P

• This exactly!

• This is just ridiculous. Sada has prove it not only one, but 3 times, they were the best. And those excuses to “prove” Sada didn’t deserve their titles is just ridiculous. So Poland won 2014 FIVB WCH because they hosted it? And had the advantage of time zone over Brazil? So Brazil won 2016 Olympics just because they were in their home? Just doesn’t make sense. Zenit can be better right now, but this doesn’t erase Sada’s achievements (and 2 of them over Zenit).

What a stupid comparison. :down:

Before World Championship and the Olympics, you have so many competitions like the World League to enable national teams to play with their compatriots before those major competitions. It is like their pre-season exercise. With the world club championship. That's impossible. The season just started. Players moved in and out each season. CWC is only a short tournament. Even shorter than the olympics. Asking these teams to completely play like they knew one another in just a month or two is a joke. That's the reason October has been a terrible date for the CWC. It's also funny that Sada only won during the October editions of the club championship. What a coincidence. :rolll:

Sada has only been dominating because of that schedule plus the timezone. Anyone trying to disagree needs to watch why Supercoppa is not the be all and end all of seasons. Many teams can still improve beyond those preseason cup. And that's why December or May is perfect for this club championship. A lot of teams have players knowing each other. Other teams knowing what the other team can do or not. It's perfect and I hope FIVB keeps it. :super:

#FreeBritney

:aww: I dont think you watched that game.

IMO is not easy to say if Cruzeiro, Zenit, Civitanova ou any other team is the best in the world. They play in different leagues, with different styles. All i can say is that Cruzerio won the last two WCH and it was not because of the time zone or the refs. Of course playing at home was important for Cruzeiro, but that was not the main reason. Only if you play a perfect game you can beat a strong team like Zenit. And Cruzeiro played two great finals.

I would love to watch more games between Zenit, Cruzeiro, italian teams and some others, because i like to watch good volleyball.

Willian for me is the best brazilian setter, much better than Bruno, and i think Uriante is not in the same level as Willian. Uriarte is a good setter, but he is not creative and when the reception was not good he was not precise. Toniutti would be the best choice for Cruzeiro this season :dance6: Even Kreling "Cachopa" would be a good choice, but he is still too young for such responsability. I thought that Cruzeiro would play with him this season. Uriarte was a surprise for me.

Now i wanna see how Crueiro will react in brazilian league.

• What a stupid comparison. :down:

Before World Championship and the Olympics, you have so many competitions like the World League to enable national teams to play with their compatriots before those major competitions. It is like their pre-season exercise. With the world club championship. That's impossible. The season just started. Players moved in and out each season. CWC is only a short tournament. Even shorter than the olympics. Asking these teams to completely play like they knew one another in just a month or two is a joke. That's the reason October has been a terrible date for the CWC. It's also funny that Sada only won during the October editions of the club championship. What a coincidence. :rolll:

Sada has only been dominating because of that schedule plus the timezone. Anyone trying to disagree needs to watch why Supercoppa is not the be all and end all of seasons. Many teams can still improve beyond those preseason cup. And that's why December or May is perfect for this club championship. A lot of teams have players knowing each other. Other teams knowing what the other team can do or not. It's perfect and I hope FIVB keeps it. :super:

This wasn’t what the other user was saying. And I get your point, but I’m sorry, stupid is to think that the schedule would benefit one team and harm the other one. The schedule is the same for both, if it the season just started for one, the same goes for the other. Sada won because they were better, and again, not only one, but 3 times. Saying it was because of the time zone is beyond ridiculous. They are professionals, they have time to adapt, so cmon, find a better excuse. And from 2015 to 2016, Sada changed much more than Zenit, replacing Wallace, Eder for Evandro and Simon, and playing with Rodriguinho as a starter. So, if any team could complain about not having time to know their teammates better, that’s Sada. So please, stop.

• I agree, the best league is not the one with the best team in the world, but with the best players overall. But in this case we should probably ask Italian Players which League is the best, do they think it is harder to play against European Players or against Brazilians?

In Brazil you have a couple of teams with players that are Olympic Champions, World Champions and so on. But in Italy how many teams have a OG or WCH champion player? Let me guess, one and where is that player from?

All these players playing in Europe are just tired of loosing for Brazilian Players...including Italians :lol:

Bruno left Brazil AGAIN because his performance was not that great in Brazil, he was not able to lead his team to victory and there were a couple of setters that performed better than him, but now, if he was not good in Brazil but he`s great in Italy I would just assume playing in Brazil is tougher .....at least for him.
    Apart from the TOP 4 teams in Italy.....I doubt if you take mostly of these players playing for the remaining teams that they would survive playing in Brazil, a lot of them would not even be enough to sit on the bench, same thing if you take them to the Russia SuperLeague, only a few would survive.

But let`s be real, what makes Cruzeiro and Zenit so strong to set them apart from everyone?? 2 Cubans....if you take these 2 out... They both would be still strong but not nearly as they are right now.

Last final Leon did not play that well and Leal played well.....no surprise Cruzeiro won.
    This final Leal did not play that well and Leon did play well...no surprise Zenit won.

If it is true Leon might move to Perugia next season. Well, the next WCH final will be Cruzeiro vs Perugia. Just saying :win:

@Kk15...this response was not for direct to you, I did quote u, but then when I tried to change it to make my own post and not a reply to u, it would not let me do it, sorry.

• Would Taubate, SESI and Rio SESC survive in the european championship? With their terrible service pressure they are putting on Sada Cruzeiro. I have big doubts with that.

#FreeBritney

• With Murilo's damaged hitting shoulder... did any sane people thought SESI will ever win against Sada Cruzeiro and Taubate? It was a miracle they beat Sada in the Brazilian Cup. It was a miracle short-lived however. Taubate took advantage and that defeat will never be on Bruno's name. Only a hater would say that. :whistle:

#FreeBritney

• What makes Italian league the best one is the fact that even the weakest teams like Milano can hire players like Todor Skrimov or Gordon Perrin. Anyway, I consider the top Brazilian teams and the Italian ones more or less at the same level, IMHO

Per un pir, un pam un persec per na brogna e na rumleina, nuetr'a sam d'la Ghirlandeina nuetr'a sam da rispeter

Edited once, last by Mamdani ().

• What makes Italian league the best one is the fact that even the weakest teams like Milano can have players like Todor Skrimov or Gordon Perrin in the Starting 7. Anyway, I consider the top Brazilian teams and the Italian ones more or less at the same level, IMHO

Exactly.

If there's one thing holding back Sada Cruzeiro from becoming stronger. It is the player rankings. I won't deny that. But if they abolished that..
    What will happen to the balance of their league? When was the last time there was an upset in the Brazilian League? The bottom teams are really bad and the mid-tier teams are just mediocre. And all the good players are going to the best teams that can only afford them. Yeah that's bad and sad. :whistle:

#FreeBritney