You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to Inside VolleyCountry. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vabo

Intermediate

• "vabo" is male
  • "vabo" started this thread

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 6:30pm

Tokyo 2020 Qualification rules

So... its seems the FIVB found a way to finally promote merit over politics in the Olympic qualification process. Here's what I found on an Italian website, hopefully the FIVB will publish the whole thing in English soon.

http://dal15al25.gazzetta.it/2017/05/09/…iche-del-volley

(a.a) L’Fivb, riunita a Marrakesh (Mar), ha stabilito il criterio di qualificazione olimpica per Tokyo 2020. Rimane invariato il numero di squadre che saranno 12 sia per il maschile che per il femminile. Oltre al Giappone si qualificano le prime 3 classificate al torneo “World Olympic”, dove parteciperanno 12 squadre: l’organizzatore, il campione Mondiale 2018 e le prime due per ogni continente. Al torneo “International Olympic” le 12 migliori rispetto al ranking Fivb. Le ultime cinque arrivano dai tornei di qualificazione continentali.

Highlights:

12 teams as usual

1 ticket for the host team

3 tickets for the top 3 teams of the "World Olympic Tournament", made of 12 teams: host (which means NOT Japan), 2018 World Champion, top 2 teams of every continent (aka continental CEV ranking I suppose?)

3 tickets for the top 3 teams of the "International Olympic Tournament", made of the top 12 teams of the overall FIVB rankings (this is pretty big news for Europe)

5 tickets for the 5 continental tournaments (the old world qualification tournaments, this time one per continent)

The World Cup seems to have been cancelled. Will it come back?

Kk15

Master

• "Kk15" is female

Favourite Team: Italian NTs – Trento – Foppa

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 7:30pm

top 2 teams of every continent (aka continental CEV ranking I suppose?)

I thought the first and second in the continental tournament, like ECh for Europe, but I had the same doubt.

5 continental tournaments (the old world qualification tournaments, this time one per continent)

Well, the continental qualification tournaments already existed, actually (I don't know if for every continent): last year Russia qualified both the men and women team this way, the same worked for both Argentinian teams if I'm not wrong.
There was that messy thing that the Intercontinental Tournament coincided with the Asian Continental tournament, though.

For me the WOT is the new World CUP, the IOT is the new Intercontinental Tournament and the Continental Tournaments are the same (with a normal tournament for Asia).

Another interesting thing is understanding the order of the competition: will it be the same as last year, with WOT first, then Continental Tournament, then IOT? Or in the order they wrote it?
That could be an important difference: imaging playing the WOT after the Continental Tournaments, so likely without USA, Brazil, Iran... (I think the WOT will remain the first tournament, though).

With this qualification schedule, Europe could hypothetically qualify 7 teams, if an European country host the WOT and/or is the WCh. (3 from WOT, 3 from IOT, 1 from Continental Tournament).
Obviously we would also have to check how the ranking appears without the already qualified teams (if the IOT is the last tournament, 8 teams + Japan will already be qualified so you will have to consider that counting the 12 best ranked teams).

JoanaBG

Professional

• "JoanaBG" is female

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 8:09pm

CEV wants ECH '19 to serve as the Olympic qualifying tournament with the champion securing automatic qualification, which would be a good thing. If it doesn't happen, I hope that at least the finalists will go to that World Olympic Tournament, like they went to World Cup in the past. ECh should really have some actual practical value when it comes to Olympic qualifying.

I was wondering what was going to happen to World Cup with the Olympics being played in Tokyo. It totally figures that FIVB would rather scratch the whole thing instead of moving it away from Japan.

LDvolley

Professional

Favourite Team: Argentina NT, Bolivar, Cuba NT

Favourite Players: Conte family, De Cecco, Zaytsev, Simón, León

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 8:31pm

It won't make any difference in women's for Europe (USA, China and Brazil are taking 3 of those 6 spots for sure), maybe in Men's they will have 1 more team compared to Rio, but it's not 100% sure either.

Kk15

Master

• "Kk15" is female

Favourite Team: Italian NTs – Trento – Foppa

Tuesday, May 9th 2017, 9:10pm

CEV wants ECH '19 to serve as the Olympic qualifying tournament with the champion securing automatic qualification, which would be a good thing.

That would be a good new!
I would like that for every continent, to be honest. The continental qualification tournament are a quite useless double for me, even if they can obviously go differently. Think that Slovenia, silver medallist in ECh, didn't even have the chance to partecipate to the qualification tournament, if I recall well.

top 2 teams of every continent (aka continental CEV ranking I suppose?)

Before I said I thought it was the position in the ECh that probably mattered, but now I remembered that last year the World Cup was played before the ECh, so who did they invite?
We had Italy and Russia, but they were both first and second of the CEV ranking at the moment and second and first of the previous ECh.
[Poland was there as WCh winning]
EDIT: I checked on Wikipedia: for Europe and Asia-Oceania they called the first and the second of the ranking; the two americans called first and second of their continental qualification tournaments (they even had to qualificate to the World Cup??? Or was it simply the continental tournament?); for Africa first and second of the continental championship 2015 (that was held before the WC).
I guess that every continent decide for itself?

It totally figures that FIVB would rather scratch the whole thing instead of moving it away from Japan.

:lol:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Kk15" (May 9th 2017, 9:40pm)

Favourite Players: Micah Christenson

brahmin

Master

• "brahmin" is male

Favourite Team: USA Men NT, USA Women NT, Japan Women NT

Friday, May 12th 2017, 3:42am

So they are essentially having two 12 team tournaments? And then the World Cup on top of it too (which does not qualify)?

Why not just call the World Olympic Qualification Tournament, the World Cup? Like it has been called forever. Does the Japanese Volleyball Association own the name of the tournament?

They should really put these tournaments is time order instead of just listing the way of qualification. We all know that the World Cup (or whatever they want to call it) is first, then the Continentals and finally the last qualifying tournaments.