2018 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• There is still no official information regarding the name and the official schedule of the World League but I will post the schedule I came across today and will eventually fix whatever is wrong.

Weekend 1

Group 1: France (host), Australia, Iran, Japan
    Group 2: China (host), USA, Argentina, Bulgaria
    Group 3: Poland (host), Russia, Korea, Canada
    Group 4: Serbia (host), Germany, Brazil, Italy

Weekend 2

Group 5: Bulgaria (host), Australia, Russia, Serbia
    Group 6: Brazil (host), Japan, Korea, USA
    Group 7: Argentina (host), Iran, Canada, Italy
    Group 8: Poland (host), France, China, Germany

Weekend 3

Group 9: Canada (host), Australia, USA, Germany
    Group 10: Japan (host), Italy, Bulgaria, Poland
    Group 11: Russia (host), Iran, China, Brazil
    Group 12: France (host), Serbia, Argentina, Korea

Weekend 4

Group 13: Korea (host), Italy, Australia, China
    Group 14: Germany (host), Argentina, Japan, Russia
    Group 15: USA (host), Serbia, Iran, Poland
    Group 16: Bulgaria (host), France, Canada, Brazil

Weekend 5

Group 17: Australia (host), Argentina, Poland, Brazil
    Group 18: China (host), Japan, Canada, Serbia
    Group 19: Iran (host), Germany, Bulgaria, Korea
    Group 20: Italy (host), USA, France, Russia

This is still not official but I got it from what I believe to be a reliable source. I apologize in advance if there are mistakes. I will fix the schedule and the pool composition once it becomes official or when some national federations publish it separately.

• Thanks for posting this info. I can accept any non-top level teams to play in this team, considering the business benefit brought to this sport. The only team deserved to be in but missing from this list is Slovenia. They achieved remarkable international result in the past two years at WL and EC.

• Thanks for posting this info. I can accept any non-top level teams to play in this team, considering the business benefit brought to this sport. The only team deserved to be in but missing from this list is Slovenia. They achieved remarkable international result in the past two years at WL and EC.

Don't forget Belgium!

• I can already see Top teams like Brazil, Russia, USA, Italy not sending their best players but their team Cs on this tournament. It is going to become a third tier tournament and more continental tournaments will become more important because of the qualification to bigger tournaments such as Olympics or the thing that will replace World Cup.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• [quote='Rains_of_Castamere','index.php?page=Thread&postID=346445#post346445']I can already see Top teams like Brazil, Russia, USA, Italy not sending their best players but their team Cs on this tournament. It is going to become a third tier tournament

I don`t think so, they probably won`t play all 5 weeks with A team, they could play 3 weeks with A team, and other 2 weeks with B/C teams. A team players gotta play WL and GP in order to get ready for WCH, WC, OG, they can not just practice all summer long and show up for the Major Tournament later in the summer.

And with 2 extra weeks, this is be perfect for coaches to give new players the chance to show what they can do and what level they are at.

Let`s take the Brazilian Women`s as a example. Right now Ze Roberto has a couple of options on the OH with (Natalia is the only one safe), Rosamaria, Drussyla,Amanda, and if Fe Garay and Jaque comes back he will need to have them playing in the GP to be able to evaluate them, but he still needs to keep evaluating Rosamaria,Drussyla,Amanda. That means having 15 games in the GP is great because we can give the chance for all of the them to play.

And this goes for all other teams as well.

• I did not say they are not going to take all their best players. Just we won't see their best teams put forward anymore at all given time.

If Team USA did it... I highly doubt they will not do it again. And so the other teams.

It's just a cycle that will continue with the 7 year immunity for those teams protected from being "relegated".

And also it will create strong possibility of teams getting easy wins based on rosters you send. If they send their best players so they can win the tournament or send young players for experience then you can see a whole of Germany, Thailand and Poland making it to the next round or even become title contenders.

No wonder a lot of teams approved this because the nature of the tournament can be manipulated.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Heard an interesting bit of news last night during the USA-Brazil friendly from Paul Sunderland.

The new look World League will have the same prize money for men and women. I had not seen anything saying that, so a surprise to me and many others as well I think.

• According to Tunisia Volleyball federation, a new competition will be created in 2018: the "FIVB Men's Challenger League" with 20 teams participating.

In place of the european teams, especially Belgium and Slovenia, i would just show FIVB the finger. There are just no benefits for them to fly around the world and play the likes of Tunisia, Mexico or Chinese Taipei. If they want practice during summer, they would be much better of with a kind of "European League".

Heard an interesting bit of news last night during the USA-Brazil friendly from Paul Sunderland.

The new look World League will have the same prize money for men and women. I had not seen anything saying that, so a surprise to me and many others as well I think.

If the woman's price money would be lifted to the men's level that would probably be a kind of good news. If it is the other way round, that might hint to some financial/commercial difficulties at FIVB. We can already wittness this at Beach World Tour.

• In place of the european teams, especially Belgium and Slovenia, i would just show FIVB the finger. There are just no benefits for them to fly around the world and play the likes of Tunisia, Mexico or Chinese Taipei. If they want practice during summer, they would be much better of with a kind of "European League".

If the woman's price money would be lifted to the men's level that would probably be a kind of good news. If it is the other way round, that might hint to some financial/commercial difficulties at FIVB. We can already wittness this at Beach World Tour.

I agree with you. There is no point to travel so much to play with average level teams. Instead, they should focus on European league to increase its level. If they would promote the winner of EL to world league, then teams might bother to send their A team to EL otherwise it is just play ground for the teams like Albania, Azerbeijan :aww:

• http://www.fivb.com/en/about/n…l-nations-league?id=73085

Confirmation of the new World league.

And the child's name is going to be "Volleyball Nations League". And this time, really and for sure, it is going to be the best and most innovative ever :rolleyes:.

They also announced a kind of "Challenger League" without giving further details yet.....

• It sucks. I wish they deleted this tournament once for all. It's meaningless. It's time to give to the players the rest they deserve, because the number of injuries increase too much lately.

• I agree with you. There is no point to travel so much to play with average level teams. Instead, they should focus on European league to increase its level. If they would promote the winner of EL to world league, then teams might bother to send their A team to EL otherwise it is just play ground for the teams like Albania, Azerbeijan :aww:

I agree. I always said European League, Asian Cup, Panamerican Cup and so on are useless. Having a 3 levels WL isn't any better, simply because the gap between top and average teams is too big.

A 2 levels World League and the teams winning those continental cups fighting for a spot in the second level works better IMHO.

• It sucks. I wish they deleted this tournament once for all. It's meaningless. It's time to give to the players the rest they deserve, because the number of injuries increase too much lately.

Yes, the international commitment and travel for volleyball players is already probably the highest of any sport. It would great if they could streamline the competitions to better serve the players and the community.

• Yes, the international commitment and travel for volleyball players is already probably the highest of any sport. It would great if they could streamline the competitions to better serve the players and the community.

Not really ...it does not even comes close comparing to some other sports. In the NBA for example, each team plays 3 to 5 games per week, including back to back games, also they play pre-season games, 82 regular season games and in the playoffs they can reach up to 28 games. They play around 120+ games in the season. And then summer comes around and they still have time to play for the National Team.

And like a said they do play back to back night games, one night they play in New York and the next night they play in Los Angeles, flying time from NY to LA is 5-6 hours, while in Europe traveling from Italy to Poland takes 2-3 hours only. Paris to Moscow 3h30m. I don`t see what`s the big deal here.

Soccer players travels all year around as well, and they play tournaments all over the world.

That`s why I don`t get why volleyball fans complains the volleyball schedule is too much, volleyball players are too soft, and they should stop complaining and start supporting the sport more.

And if there were no World League/Grand Prix, all the national teams would loose money simply because there would no sponsors to support them, why would they invest money if they would be playing only twice every 4 years? ( Olympics and World Championship).

And every team wins money, and a lot of these players does not make a lot of money at all, Zhu and Kim are exceptions, a lot of volleyball players makes only enough to get by. So by cutting or getting ride of tournaments would lead in cutting players pay check as well.

Messi, Neymar, Ronaldo can care less if whenever they win a MVP and gets a U$$30K pay check. They make millions and 30K means nothing.... But for a Volleyball Player winning a World League and getting a MVP and U$$30K pay check means a lot. Not to mention the main price of U$$ 1M and they money they win each week, I don`t know how they money is divided, but whenever a player wins WL and GP ( GP makes less money but still) Their prize money with FIVB in the summer is usually more than what they make with their club.

• :aww:

Football clubs season; august (last week)-may
    Football NT season: june (every 2 years)

Volleyball clubs season: october-may
    Volleyball NT season: may-october (every summer)

:whistle:

• :rolll: There's just no way you are comparing volleyball to established organizations like NBA or UEFA. :gone:

The failure of FIVB has always been hurting club volleyball in favor of the NT Season. :whistle:

Promoting the best interest of the players is their job and not profiting off from the NTs who are playing for free or national pride. :rolll:

If people cannot understand that then volleyball as a sports will never grow from here on. Pro League is where the money is at. The NT season is all about the patriotism. You speak as if a lot of players get money from FIVB. I highly doubt it. Club will always support livelihood. What else do you think why the cubans gave up their right to play for their country? It is not a coincidence. Money talks and the clubs have it. :white:

#FreeBritney

• I'm more annoyed at the fact that, whether you liked it or not, WL and WGP were brands established decades ago and with some kind of global appeal in the tiny market of worldwide volleyball. Now they're starting from scratch with the most ridiculous name imaginable and the formula STILL doesn't work.

• I'm more annoyed at the fact that, whether you liked it or not, WL and WGP were brands established decades ago and with some kind of global appeal in the tiny market of worldwide volleyball. Now they're starting from scratch with the most ridiculous name imaginable and the formula STILL doesn't work.

I agree! World league was already nice brand and this new name is just ridicilous :aww: