2018 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• Sokolov may need a surgery according to Konstantinov. It's possible we might not see him play for Bulgaria in VNL. Treatment will be decided with Lube and Bulgaria staff and discuss if an operation or non-surgical intervention will be made.

Who even is the Bulgarian backup opposite?

• Bulgaria for sure has the shortest squad of any elite team. I get the feel they have been playing with the same 7 guys for the last 6 years or so.

• Well, Bulgaria is also the smallest country of all elite teams :) It is a non-negligible fact when it comes to roster depth. If we consider Slovenia (theoretically, and only as of recently) in that elite group, then only Slovenia has a smaller population and they might be considered a part just because of the current "golden" generation. So, quite naturally, Bulgaria has always had a limited choice and it is of no minor significance that they have quite often been in the world's elite despite the demographics. You are right, though, we have had pretty much the same base group in the Bulgarian roster for some time.

As for available opposites. Sokolov is (status 14.05, right after the CL final) rumoured to miss between 3 and 4 months which jeopardizes his WCH participation. Even if he makes it on time, it is questionable whether he will gain some kind of playable game/physical shape. Boyan Yordanov, although 35, is back in the squad, perhaps sensing that a home WCH might be a good chance for ending NT career. We don't know if he will be fit for the entire summer, whether he will be able to perform as expected and whether he will be given chance by Konstantinov. Nikolay Uchikov, in case he really returns to the NT and not just in the list, is the strongest option. Chernokozhev spent most of the last two seasons on the benches of Perugia and Halkbank. Although fresh, he lacks serious game practice which I hope he might gain in the VNL. And just because we discussed roster depth and limited choice, Ventsislav Georgiev is a player that developed well in the Bulgarian league for the past 2-3 seasons and is now given the opportunity to train/play with the big boys on international level.

• http://www.volleyball.world/en…all-over-the-top?id=74854

Seems like there will be no more games on youtube. Wonder what the price point will be and if they will improve the streams. IMO it would be paying like $5 a month if they get commentators for every game that isn't that Australian who doesn't seem like he even follows volleyball.

• Friendly matches results before VNL

Italy*-Australia(2-3,3-0)
    Iran-Serbia*(3-1,0-3)
    Poland*-Canada(1-3)
    Bulgaria-Russia*(1-3)
    Argentina*-China(3-1,3-1,3-1)
    Brazil*-China(3-1,3-0)

*Home

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

Edited once, last by Rains ().

• Canada lost their second friendly match against Poland 2-3 after leading 2-0. Maybe Antiga did not want to humiliate his former team. He put Brett Walsh in charge. And then the Canadians collapsed. Good experience for him since he is going to sit on the bench for the whole VNL.

• Canada lost their second friendly match against Poland 2-3 after leading 2-0. Maybe Antiga did not want to humiliate his former team. He put Brett Walsh in charge. And then the Canadians collapsed. Good experience for him since he is going to sit on the bench for the whole VNL.

Hey, don't say that. He might come into block once a match :lol:

• Brazil squad for the first weekend in Serbia:

S: Bruno, William
    OPP: Wallace, Evandro
    OHs: M. Borges, Lipe, Douglas, Leozinho (debut)
    MBs: M. Souza, Lucão, Éder, Isac
    L: Thales, Murilo

• Brazil squad for the first weekend in Serbia:

S: Bruno, William
    OPP: Wallace, Evandro
    OHs: M. Borges, Lipe, Douglas, Leozinho (debut)
    MBs: M. Souza, Lucão, Éder, Isac
    L: Thales, Murilo

How is leozinho from someone who knows nothing about him?

• How is leozinho from someone who knows nothing about him?

Still very green and very unstable, but packs a big punch in attack. He didn't play well in the first friendly against China and I don't expect him to play much (if at all) this first weekend. He still does have lots of potential though, reminds me of Lucarelli a bit.

• Brazil will play with 90% of the OG roster. Considering that Serginho retired from the NT, it's basically the same team.

:gone: :gone: :gone: :gone:

• Not playing for the NT, that's for sure.

Renan is even worse than Ze Roberto in this topic. It's kinda pathetic to have William at 39yo and Evandro at 38yo play the VNL when there is a lot of talent out there. At least in the female NT there is not many good choices to consider.

• There`s a article on globoesporte.com with Renan and everyone complaining and saying VNL with 5 weeks in unhuman.

ok...then so why is he ( Renan) sending all these 40 years old to play while he has a bunch of 20 years old that can play?? What a perfect opportunity to see what Alan, Thiago, Otavio, Joao Rafael can do against Serbia and Italy...but he goes ahead and send Bruno,William,Evandro, Wallace?? That`s pathetic....and watching William and Evandro sitting on the bench is embarrassing....at least Thiago and Alan could learn just by watching them play.

And I bet this same line up will be playing against China, Korea, Japan......

Renan is so desperate for results. Hopefully Italy finally gets to beat Brazil in the WCH.

• Murilo is going as well :obey: :wall: :obey: :wall: :down:

France without Clevenot. Is he injured ??

Too bad that Sharon Evans got injured... Hopefully he`s back for the WCH, but even then I don`t think he would be 100%. Huge blow for Canada.

Argentina is not sending DeCecco, Conte, Poglajen,Sole...I understand playing against China and Korea is waste of time for Brazil...but Argentina is way far behind and for them playing against literally against anyone is a good thing so I don`t see why these "A" players are resting.

• Argentina is not sending DeCecco, Conte, Poglajen,Sole...I understand playing against China and Korea is waste of time for Brazil...but Argentina is way far behind and for them playing against literally against anyone is a good thing so I don`t see why these "A" players are resting.

Motives:
    a) Those players in particular just finished long seasons and this competition is 15 matches-long. Argentina league (where all players we'll use this weekend play) finished some weeks before italian, brazilian, chinese leagues.
    b) This weekend is in freaking China, which is insane travel from Argentina and exactly opposite time zone (12 hour difference).
    c) Next weekend we play at home, so we want to have the best players fresh for next weekend.
    d) Truth be told, Velasco doesn't care about nations league. For him all that matters is the world championship.

• That`s fine....

But Sole`s season ended actually a while ago, same time as Wallace and Ivovic and both of them will be playing this weekend....same goes for Poglajen as his team did not even reach the semis.....The season in China ( Conte) ended a while ago and the season over there is shorter.

They play at home next week? So does Brazil...still they are going to Italy.

Like I said.. there`s no need for Brazil to be playing with their main squad because of their experience..but still they are doing it... Argentina is not on the same level as Brazil that they can afford to rest players, but they are doing anyways.

And if Vellasco does not care for VNL... that`s fine....is not like they have any chances in winning anyways.... And all he cares is the WCH?? Well Argentina has no chances in winning that as well.