2018 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• Russian triple block is pretty intimidating especially now with Muserskiy :white:

• Brazil seems very vulnerable right now but Serbia just managed to play so bad you can't almost feel the absence of Lucarelli.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Kovacevic is not playng well. Serbia probably can't do anything that they are short on experienced attacking OH but I think Grbic should take the gamble now.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• And France lost a second set after leading 23-18.

Kovacevic is not playng well. Serbia probably can't do anything that they are short on experienced attacking OH but I think Grbic should take the gamble now.

Is Grbic sane for putting a 6'3" OH to his death to take the place of Kovacevic? I don't believe so. :white:

And France lost a second set after leading 23-18.

Now that's insane. :white:

#FreeBritney

• I did not understand the 24-25 score lead that was given to Brazil during the third set.

Can someone clarify that to me? I would appreciate the help.

Well about the game...Brazil's strategy was simple. Let Atanasijevic score to his heart's content and mark everyone else.

I think Grbic should have substituted Atanasijevic at that point and see what happens with another opposite like Luburic. That might have loosen the block on the outsides.

#FreeBritney

• I thought it was 4 touches.

Thank you. :drink:

#FreeBritney

• Holy shit, it's been a while since I've seen Brazil play this well. Mindblowingly good defense today. I'm honestly stunned. lol

I agree they played well - I was curious as to how they would deal with Lucarelli's absence, as he has become a huge terminator in the team now. Mauricio plays consistently generally but his offence can be shaky at times. I wasnt impressed by Murillo - i appreciated starting him to get him to speed -and Serbia being a good serving team was a good choice to start with - but he obviously needs more time to adapt. My one criticism of Bruno is that he still doesnt seem to have found a way to get Mauricio Souza involved in the offence. I am also waiting for Mauricio to get to the level he showed in the 2016 World league. I was in Poland during the finals week and Mauricio was quite something then (both in attack and blocking)- before he tweaked his back in that competition.

But it is still early days for everyone really...

• I agree they played well - I was curious as to how they would deal with Lucarelli's absence, as he has become a huge terminator in the team now. Mauricio plays consistently generally but his offence can be shaky at times. I wasnt impressed by Murillo - i appreciated starting him to get him to speed -and Serbia being a good serving team was a good choice to start with - but he obviously needs more time to adapt. My one criticism of Bruno is that he still doesnt seem to have found a way to get Mauricio Souza involved in the offence. I am also waiting for Mauricio to get to the level he showed in the 2016 World league. I was in Poland during the finals week and Mauricio was quite something then (both in attack and blocking)- before he tweaked his back in that competition.

But it is still early days for everyone really...

Yeah, it is indeed still too early, which is why I'm surprised at how good they played as they usually are very shaky in the beginning of tournaments.
    I've criticized M. Borges a lot in the past, but I think I'm used to him now. He's improved quite a bit since 2015, both in the NT and in his club. M. Souza, on the other hand, hasn't shown anything extraordinary since Rio. Isac and Otávio have been playing consistently better than him lately.
    Renan said he's gonna shuffle the team tomorrow against Italy, so we shall see.

• Japan did well against Australia. this team is full with short players -- Yamauchi is towering above them all. I like the setter Fuji. he did a greatjob on last year's World League. Yanagida is a monster on serve and he did well on attacks. Lee and Yamauchi MB duo are fun to watch, and Fuji always involved them in attack. the leftie OPP is fun to watch, he has crazy jumping height.

cannot wait until Ishiikawa and Otake make their return!

• Thanks for shedding light on this Joanna. So this rule only applies to Goncharova in the women's team since if I remember correctly she represented Ukraine NT in the past.

Muserskiy: He didn't represent Ukraine (both senior and junior) NT.
    Bakun: He represented Ukraine senior NT.
    Kliuka:He represented Belarus junior NT.

So these 3 are allowed to play together.

• Does anyone know why Grozer is not part of the roster for Germany?

• Does anyone know why Grozer is not part of the roster for Germany?

It is only a rumor. After 2017 ECH, he is retired from Germany NT.
    Add:
    At least, he won't participate in all matches of VNL 2018.

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan