2018 Volleyball Nations League (VNL)

• so far I have only seen 2 tall setter in men's volleyball -- this young chinese setter and my fav, Gianelli. why is this not a common thing? isn't it much better to have tall setter so they can reach the ball at higher point to play fast games? and it will definitely be a huge advantage at blocking.

• Velasco is from ARG, right? As well as Lozano. Hmm.... ARG is well represented in this match. :-)

Also, these two teams met earlier this month, right? Friendly games.... are we seeing the same roster? iirc, CHN lost a few matches during that.

so far I have only seen 2 tall setter in men's volleyball -- this young chinese setter and my fav, Gianelli. why is this not a common thing? isn't it much better to have tall setter so they can reach the ball at higher point to play fast games? and it will definitely be a huge advantage at blocking.

Yu Yao-chen is the runner-up of 2013 U19 WCH [lose to Russia] and the third place of 2015 U21 WCH [lose to Argentina with Lima, Gallego, Danani and Sanchez also in this match of VNL 2018].

My favourite roster of Chinese (in 2022)
    male NT:
    S - Yu Yao-chen, Chen Lei-yang
    OP - Jiang Chuan, Dai Qing-yao
    OH - Zhang Jing-yin, Yu Yuan-tai, Liu Li-bin, Fu Hou-wen
    MB - Zhang Zhe-jia, Peng Shi-kun, Li Yong-zhen, Jiang Zhen-yang
    L - Yang Yi-ming, Yang Tian-yuan

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu
    OP - Gong Xiang-yu, Sun Xiao-xuan
    OH - Li Ying-ying, Wang Yi-fan, Wu Meng-jie, Zhuang Yu-shan
    MB - Yuan Xin-yue, Wang Yuan-yuan, Zheng Yi-xin, Liu Yu
    L - Ni Fei-fan, Xu Jia-nan

• so far I have only seen 2 tall setter in men's volleyball -- this young chinese setter and my fav, Gianelli. why is this not a common thing? isn't it much better to have tall setter so they can reach the ball at higher point to play fast games? and it will definitely be a huge advantage at blocking.

so far I have only seen 2 tall setter in men's volleyball -- this young chinese setter and my fav, Gianelli. why is this not a common thing? isn't it much better to have tall setter so they can reach the ball at higher point to play fast games? and it will definitely be a huge advantage at blocking.

European setters from Balkan countries or Poland are quite tall.

American setters are also taller than the average, probably taking some likeness from Lloy Ball who is 203cm.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• European setters from Balkan countries or Poland are quite tall.

American setters are also taller than the average, probably taking some likeness from Lloy Ball who is 203cm.

oh didn't know that. i am used to seeing "average" sized setter so seeing someone like Gianelli and this Chinese setter is a different view. do you know who among these men setters are considered tall? i might need to check them out to study their style of playing.

• wow that was pathetic.

I don't get why insist in using Ramos as opp, he was awful yesterday (something like 14 kills out of 40 attempt) and today was also below average. I don't get why you would start him over Lima who is much more used to play that.

I'm sure they will show better with Bulgaria anyway.

• Serbia has a very good MB duo. And tbh I am having a huge crush on Lisinac. :lol: Japan with Lee and Yamauichi is pretty good, too.

I don't like M. Souza attitude --- seems like he is pissed about everything. And he is not even that good. But my oh my, what is these old people still doing in this tournament? Don't Brazil has a huge pool of talented youngsters? Isn't this would be the right time to try them?

I think only if brazil lose a big competition in a big way we will se some new blood in NT. Untill there, we will play with the same players even if they are 36, 37, 40 years old.

On the other hand, the good thing is that no one get to NT very young and without some good experience and thats help NT to have a good sucess. But i would like to see some new guys in NT.

• I think only if brazil lose a big competition in a big way we will se some new blood in NT. Untill there, we will play with the same players even if they are 36, 37, 40 years old.

On the other hand, the good thing is that no one get to NT very young and without some good experience and thats help NT to have a good sucess. But i would like to see some new guys in NT.

I am afraid that you are right. We might be seeing the same group of players in Tokyo. Like the women did in Rio -- but look what happened. I know one of Brazil's styles is if you want to be the best, you have to play as much game as possible. But I am also worried that these youngsters will not have enough time to develop themselves once the seniors are out of the pictures. Coach Ze Roberto did an amazing job with the Beijing Olympic cycle. Hope they can work it out this time around.

• I think only if brazil lose a big competition in a big way we will se some new blood in NT. Untill there, we will play with the same players even if they are 36, 37, 40 years old.

I don't see it happening like that either. The male NT at least is way too conservative and closed off. We'll probably keep seeing the main squad in all big tournaments and a B team in tournaments like the Pan American Games like we did in 2015.
    Unless Thiaguinho pulls a huge upset, we'll probably see Bruno and William in Tokyo. I wouldn't be surprised if even Evandro and Lipe went too.

• I also have a question: Why is only one full-time OP, Bruno Lima, in the roster? Is the left-handed OP, Johansen injured?

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• I also have a question: Why is only one full-time OP, Bruno Lima, in the roster? Is the left-handed OP, Johansen injured?

Johansen is playing the south american games at this moment,

As left-handed opposite there is also Jose Luis Gonzalez, but the coach let him (and Alexis Gonzalez, the libero) skip the VNL due to their old age so they don't get too tired. Both will probably play the World Championship too.

• Johansen is playing the south american games at this moment,

As left-handed opposite there is also Jose Luis Gonzalez, but the coach let him (and Alexis Gonzalez, the libero) skip the VNL due to their old age so they don't get too tired. Both will probably play the World Championship too.

Thank you.

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu

• How serious Pankov's and Kovalev's injuries ?
    No one can hit the ball with Kobzar's sets so far :gone:

• Any livestreams on these matches?

• I'm not following men's volleyball that much, so don't mind me asking.. why is Micah not in the roster for USA?

in order to give a chance to Kawika Shoji and Jonah Seif?
    Before VNL 2018, in my opinion, I only saw Micah Christenson and Kawika Shoji from 2013 WGCC to now.
    :thumbsup:

male NT:

female NT:
    S - Yao Di, Diao Lin-yu