CEV European League 2018

• A new format for the 2018 European League: source. CEV now introduce two tiers - Golden League and Silver League. The two finalists of the Golden League will, unless FIVB decide otherwise again, play in the FIVB Challenger Cup alongside 4 other confederation representatives for a spot or the right to challenge (I don't know, it doesn't say) the weakest 2018 Volleyball Nations League challenger (one among Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, South Korea).

Golden League

Pool A

Belgium
    Estonia
    Slovakia
    Sweden

Pool B

Slovenia
    Netherlands
    Turkey
    Ukraine

Pool C

Finland
    Czech Republic
    Portugal
    Spain

Finals will be held in Karlovy Vary, Czech Rep.

Silver League

Pool A

FYR of Macedonia
    Latvia
    Austria
    Kosovo

Pool B

Belarus
    Croatia
    Hungary
    Albania

Finals will be held in Skopje, FYR of Macedonia.

• I don't like many of FIVB's practices and yet another new format for the World (Nations) League might be surplus, but it resulted in a decent European League at least. With Belgium, Slovenia, Estonia, Czech Rep., Finland, Portugal, Slovakia, and Turkey back in business, the otherwise down-trending European League might come to life, in what seems to be the best edition we've had in years. It is a different subject whether teams should be motivated to play under the ever changing FIVB/CEV regulations. But even so, the level should rise. Belgium and Slovenia at least should take it as a preparation for the World Championship. They probably won't care that much about the newly formed FIVB league :D

Surprisingly, there is no Greece, Montenegro, and Romania.

• Slovenia will play European League without Urnaut, Pajenk, Sket, Gasparini, Vincic and Ropret, according to CEV site. Maybe they are not so much interested in play Nations Legaue, after what happened this year.

Anyway, they still have a good team. I hope we can see Ziga Stern playing a lot this year. I think he is a good player.

• Slovenia will play European League without Urnaut, Pajenk, Sket, Gasparini, Vincic and Ropret, according to CEV site. Maybe they are not so much interested in play Nations Legaue, after what happened this year.

Anyway, they still have a good team. I hope we can see Ziga Stern playing a lot this year. I think he is a good player.

Their pool looks like a group of death. Ukraine, Turkey and Netherlands. Those are not average teams in my opinion.

I think that's a great call from Kovac. They should concentrate on the world championship and I hope they find another good opposite in the process. Gasparini does not seem viable in two more years.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Turkey won 3x2 against Netherlands.

I really like Van Garderen. I hope he can be a start next season in a good team.

• Oleh Plotnytskyi was so good tonight both offense and defense. Serie A trated him well

I think he will be one of the best OH in near future. He is still young and has a lot to improve but i see a grat potencial in him.

• Venno doesn't look very comfortable in his role as a receiver :whistle:

Did he ever play as a receiver before this tournament? :lol: I'd think Teppan would be best suited for the OH role given his biotype, but I might be completely wrong...

• Did he ever play as a receiver before this tournament? :lol: I'd think Teppan would be best suited for the OH role given his biotype, but I might be completely wrong...

Well, whatever we think about it, it seems coach made the right choice. Estonia is leading 2:0 and is on the way to the title. With their good blocking, they are sucking a lot of energy out of czech team, who are playing a bit disappointing, i have to say...

• Maybe they just wanted a taller block at 4. Finger hasn't been given that many balls compared to last night it seems.

Favorite players: M: Maxim Mikhaylov, Murilo, Serginho, Aaron Russell, Otavio, Simone Giannelli, Ivan Zaytsev, Tsvetan Sokolov, Michał Kubiak, Mariusz Wlazly, Pawel Zagummy W: Sheilla, Zhu Ting, Natalia, Fe Garay, Fofao, Gabi, Thaisa, Foluke Akinradewo, Wei Qiuyue, Ding Xia, Carli Lloyd, Fabi, Natalia Goncharova, Yuko Sano, Saoris Kimura and Sakoda

#FreeBritney

• Well, whatever we think about it, it seems coach made the right choice. Estonia is leading 2:0 and is on the way to the title. With their good blocking, they are sucking a lot of energy out of czech team, who are playing a bit disappointing, i have to say...

Thought Czech Rep. would put up a better fight, but oh well...
    Seeing Estonia in VNL next year would definitely be interesting, especially considering both Belgium and Slovenia are still out. :whistle: I'm curious to see if they'll be able to beat Korea (most likely) in the Challenger Cup.

• Seeing Estonia in VNL next year would definitely be interesting, especially considering both Belgium and Slovenia are still out. I'm curious to see if they'll be able to beat Korea (most likely) in the Challenger Cup.

No chance Korea can beat Estonia :read:

• Teams in Challenger Cup for a place in VNL will
    Be:

Portugal (Host)
    Estonia
    Czech
    Kazakhstan
    Chile
    Cuba

Can somebody confirm, do you have to pay 1M dollars to compete in VNL after you win Challenger Cup?