Swatch-FIVB World Championships 2011

• Next week is the start of the long-awaited World Champs in the Foro Italico Complex in Rome, Italy. The 48 teams comprising the preliminary men's tournament's bracket have already been drawn and the pool composition has been decided:

Pool A

Dalhausser-Rogers[1]USAJennings-Wong [24]USACes-Cès [25]FRAMorais-Silva [48]ANG

Pool B

Emanuel-Alison [2]BRASoderberg-Hoyer [23]DENLochhead-Pitman [26]NZLBabich-Ioisher [47]UKR

Pool C

Marcio Araujo-Ricardo [3]BRABoersma-Spijkers [22]NEDGabathuler-Schnider [27]SUIRedmann-Saxton [46]CAN

Pool D

Brink-Reckermann [4]GERBellaguarda-Heuscher [21]SUILikholetov-Pastukhov [28]RUSKadziola-Szalankiewicz [45]POL

Pool E

Klemperer-Koreng [5]GERErdmann-Matysik [20]GERHeyer-Chevallier [29]SUIDoppler-Mellitzer [44]AUT

Pool F

Xu-Wu [6]CHNSkarlund-Spinnangr [19]NORFijalek-Prudel [30]POLTomatis-Lupo [43]ITA

Pool G

Fuerbringer-Lucena [7]USAThiago-Harley [18]BRAGeor-Gia [31]GEOBoehm-Kapa [42]AUS

Pool H

Bruno-Benjamin [8]BRANummerdor-Schuil [17]NEDMesa-Lario [32]ESPSidorenko-Dyachenko [41]KAZ

Pool J

Herrera-Gavira [9]ESPSemenov-Koshkarev [16]RUSMüllner-Horst [33]AUTLaciga M.-Weingart [40]SUI

Pool K

Gibb-Rosenthal [10]USAPlavins-Smedins [15]LATJaani-Vesik [34]ESTProkopiev-Bogatov [39]RUS

Pool L

Benes-Kubala [11]CZENicolai-Martino [14]ITAGunnarsson-Brinkborg [35]SWESamoilovs-Sorokins [38]LAT

Pool M

Ferramenta-Pedro [12]BRAIngrosso-Ingrosso [13]ITADollinger-Windscheif [36]GERBarsouk-Yutvalin [37]RUS

• I don't know how serious Phil Dalhausser's injury last week in Beijing was, but the N1-seeded Americans lost their opening game tonight in the WCH against comrades Jennings-Wong. We know that even without the injury accident Dalhausser-Rogers were decelerating their performance. If Dalhausser is still injured and cannot contribute 100%, then probably we will seem them eliminated much earlier than expected. Apart from that there were no major upsets in day 1, tomorrow N2-seeded Emanuel-Alison will open their Italian campaign. Mentioning Italy, great first day for their couples, Matteo Martino with a great debut on a World beach champ.

• Emanuel-Alison had some problems in their opening game despite the 2-0 win today proving that there are no weak teams at the WCH. The only group where we can consider some initially unexpected results is Pool J where Semenov-Koshkarev are leading after two games played. In Pool F an opening victory for the Polish couple Fijalek-Prudel against the higher seeded Xu-Wu - a victory that shows their 4th place last week in Beijing is not accidental. They are in good shape, but I doubt they can repeat the semifinal result from 4 days ago.

I watched the 2nd and 3rd set of the game between Nicolai-Martino and Gunnarsson-Brinkborg. It is obvious that Martino did a hard work to get used to the beach technique, but his actions are quite often like an indoor player instead of an outdoors one, which is quite normal. He also made some crucial mistakes at the end of both sets to give away the victory to the guys from Sweden. I think he is not yet used to the ball, he sent it quite long several times. Besides, the Swedes served at him most of the time I watched, so I guess they felt he is more insecure than his partner.

• Where can we watch these games? Only Laola1 or is there perhaps a tv-chanel who broadcast the WCH?

• Emanuel-Alison had some problems in their opening game despite the 2-0 win today proving that there are no weak teams at the WCH. The only group where we can consider some initially unexpected results is Pool J where Semenov-Koshkarev are leading after two games played. In Pool F an opening victory for the Polish couple Fijalek-Prudel against the higher seeded Xu-Wu - a victory that shows their 4th place last week in Beijing is not accidental. They are in good shape, but I doubt they can repeat the semifinal result from 4 days ago.

I watched the 2nd and 3rd set of the game between Nicolai-Martino and Gunnarsson-Brinkborg. It is obvious that Martino did a hard work to get used to the beach technique, but his actions are quite often like an indoor player instead of an outdoors one, which is quite normal. He also made some crucial mistakes at the end of both sets to give away the victory to the guys from Sweden. I think he is not yet used to the ball, he sent it quite long several times. Besides, the Swedes served at him most of the time I watched, so I guess they felt he is more insecure than his partner.

Cool thanx for the update

• I watched the 2nd and 3rd set of the game between Nicolai-Martino and Gunnarsson-Brinkborg. It is obvious that Martino did a hard work to get used to the beach technique, but his actions are quite often like an indoor player instead of an outdoors one, which is quite normal. He also made some crucial mistakes at the end of both sets to give away the victory to the guys from Sweden. I think he is not yet used to the ball, he sent it quite long several times. Besides, the Swedes served at him most of the time I watched, so I guess they felt he is more insecure than his partner.

Completly, completly agree. I've had the same impression, Martino need to get used to the smaller court. Btw he defended quite well yesterday, it was a pity he commetted these stupid mistakes at the end of 2nd and 3rd set.. Beside they lost, it was a good match, funny to see!

Today they lost 2-1, but they could have done better. Nicolai wasn't so impressive in blocking as yesterday, Martino did few great digs but often he just look at the ball falling (ok, it was far, but please, you have at least to try!!). And at the end he "turn off".

Yesterday also the Ingrosso twins played well but lost at tie break vs brazilians Ferramenta-Pedro. It was a nice match too!

• oh, Martino and Nicolai were really lucky, they has been "saved" as the best 3rd...

The Ingrosso twins lost 2-0 today, so they didn't pass...

but what a great day they had today :) They eliminated Nummerdor-Schuil (who would have thought), and it was a very intense game against Herrera-Gavira. To me the only reason they left was because Nicolai was very tired at the end of the tie-break, blokced twice and made some mistakes. The Spaniards were not much better, maybe more clever and patient in some situations.

But what a game Emanuel-Alison and Semenov-Koshkarev made! Great beach volleyball, Emanuel is a true legend, at 38 he is still very good in defence, even with better attack than some younsgters. Alison great on block in addition, if everything goes normal, I don't think there would be a couple to stop the Brazilians. Semenov is a very interesting player, btw, 22, 208 cm, he is impressive! He can surely develop and gain some experience. Russians normally jump serve very well on the beach, these two guys make no exception!

• Alison and Emanuel king of the beach. They are just AMAZING. :obey: :obey: :obey:

About Martino and Nicolai, considering they have been playing togheter for less than a month, and that Martino played indoor the whole season, I think they got a good result, I hope (and think) we will heard their name again!

• Swatch-FIVB World Championship, Rome, Italy

13 - 19 June

Quarterfinals:

Soderberg-Hoyer (DEN) - Plavins-Smedins (LAT) 0-2 (19-21, 17-21)
    Herrera-Gavira (ESP) - Marcio-Ricardo (BRA) 0-2 (18-21, 17-21)
    Brink-Reckermann (GER) - Fijalek-Prudel (POL) 2-0 (21-15, 21-16)
    Ferramenta-Pedro (BRA) - Emanuel-Alison (BRA) 0-2 (20-22, 16-21)

Semifinals:

Plavins-Smedins (LAT) - Marcio-Ricardo (BRA) 0-2 (20-22, 16-21)
    Brink-Reckermann (GER) - Emanuel-Alison (BRA) 0-2 (15-21, 15-21)

Bronze medal match:

Plavins-Smedins (LAT) - Brink-Reckermann (GER) 1-2 (20-22, 21-18, 11-15)

Final:

Marcio-Ricardo (BRA) - Emanuel-Alison (BRA) 0-2 (16-21, 15-21)