FIVB World Tour 2016

• A tentative 2016 beach volleyball calendar has been released by FIVB. There are still events and host cities to be confirmed, perhaps they will announce a more complete version at the end of the month or the year. What seems a bit illogical to me is that obviously the events in 2015 following the Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale, namely the Puerto Vallarta Open, the Antalya Open and the Doha Open will be counted towards the 2016 season. I don't know if it official, but based on the fact that they already assigned season awards, maybe it is true after all. These points will be counted anyway, so I really wonder why they needed to split the seasons like this.

Here is the preliminary calendar. There should be more events in Brazil and a new Open in Iran.

• Again in Croatia, Poreč :woohoo:

• There is going to be a World Tour tournament in Hamburg. :super:
    Details will be revealed on a press conference on Wednesday. The venue of the press conference let me assume that they might play at "Rothenbaum tennis stadium"......
    http://www.volleyball-verband.…plnpjku7ri62660557ekhcc91

• .....that they might play at "Rothenbaum Tennis Stadium".

The venue was confirmed last week.
    Ironically this tournament is only possible because of a very generous financial support by the city. Now, yesterday, the citizens of Hamburg voted against the olympic bid of the city for 2024. I guess, the city wouldn't have made that decision if they knew about the referendums result.......

• The venue was confirmed last week.
    Ironically this tournament is only possible because of a very generous financial support by the city. Now, yesterday, the citizens of Hamburg voted against the olympic bid of the city for 2024. I guess, the city wouldn't have made that decision if they knew about the referendums result.......

We don't care, let's go and take the only opportunity there will ever be :D Jokes aside, I don't see how funding a beach volleyball tournament will make them super unhappy. After all, the money needed to organize such an event is not that tremendous and surely not higher than any other sports discipline. Germans are a pragmatic people and I totally understand their vote, not only now in Hamburg but also in Bayern when they said no to an eventual Winter Olympics in the region.

• Kish Island Open, Iran

15 - 19 February

Semifinals:

Stoyanovskiy-Yarzutkin (RUS) - Kadziola-Szalankiewicz (POL) 2-1 (18-21, 21-14, 15-10)
    Losiak-Kantor (POL) - Jefferson-Cherif (QAT) 1-2 (21-15, 18-21, 16-18 )

Bronze medal match:

Kadziola-Szalankiewicz (POL) - Losiak-Kantor (POL) 1-2 (19-21, 21-15, 11-15)

Final:

Stoyanovskiy-Yarzutkin (RUS) - Jefferson-Cherif (QAT) 1-2 (13-21, 21-14, 12-15)

Volleycountry's report: link

PdY_cEFicQA

• Maceio Open, Brazil

23 - 28 February

Semifinals:

Lucena-Dalhausser (USA) - Alvaro Filho-Vitor Felipe (BRA) 2-0 (21-17, 20-22, 15-10)
    Saymon-Guto (BRA) - Pedro-Evandro (BRA) 0-2 (18-21, 16-21)

Bronze medal match:

Alvaro Filho-Vitor Felipe (BRA) - Saymon-Guto (BRA) 0-2 (18-21, 23-25)

Final:

Lucena-Dalhausser (USA) - Pedro-Evandro (BRA) 2-1 (21-19, 19-21, 15-12)

• Where to watch the Beach Volleyball - Rio de Janeiro Grand Slam live??

FIVB seem to stream the Tour so far, there should be a YouTube channel for the semifinals and the finals. I have no idea where you can watch the rest of the tournament if it is shown at all anywhere internationally.

• I saw many things.. I am watching Italy Netherlands from Vitoria Open. One of Italian Players serves ball so high.. like into sky lol. It looks like parody of serve. Are He serious? I never saw such type of serve.

• This is a really famous type os serve created by a Brazilian player in the 80s. It's called "Jornada nas Estrelas" (something like "Journey in the Stars"). It has been many many years since I don't see anyone serving this way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ailtR88rJ8

• I saw many things.. I am watching Italy Netherlands from Vitoria Open. One of Italian Players serves ball so high.. like into sky lol. It looks like parody of serve. Are He serious? I never saw such type of serve.

Aah, you watched Adrian Carambula :) I see that you are impressed :D Yes, he is serious and it causes some damage.

• Rio de Janeiro Grand Slam, Brazil

8 - 13 March

Semifinals:

Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) - Pedro-Evandro (BRA) 1-2 (12-21, 21-19, 6-15)
    Losiak-Kantor (POL) - Fijalek-Prudel (POL) 2-0 (21-17, 23-21)

Bronze medal match:

Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) - Fijalek-Prudel (POL) 2-1 (19-21, 21-19, 20-18 )

Final:

Pedro-Evandro (BRA) - Losiak-Kantor (POL) 0-2 (19-21, 21-23)

• Aah, you watched Adrian Carambula :) I see that you are impressed :D Yes, he is serious and it causes some damage.

Love this guy and I really wished there were more of his kind. High level male beach volleyball can be quite boring.....
    In this context, it was a pleasure to see the young polish team winning Rio Grand Slam. They had a lot of fun/trick plays, whereas Evandro/Pedro are mostly about serve/block and standard play. Especially Evandro's ball handling and mouvements often look very awkward. Somehow successfull but surely not "fun to watch".

• Love this guy and I really wished there were more of his kind. High level male beach volleyball can be quite boring.....
    In this context, it was a pleasure to see the young polish team winning Rio Grand Slam. They had a lot of fun/trick plays, whereas Evandro/Pedro are mostly about serve/block and standard play. Especially Evandro's ball handling and mouvements often look very awkward. Somehow successfull but surely not "fun to watch".

High level male beach volleyball is a pleasure to watch when at Olympics and World Championships ;) Most finals of those tournaments seldom disappoint. But that's just my opinion.

Regarding Pedro-Evandro. True, they are one of the more physical teams on the Tour but it would be such a disgrace for Evandro not to use his height and power. Besides, power is still very tough to handle on sand. Pedro Salgado, on the other side, although not the most technical player in the world, has a decent technique and is extremely hard-working, making the two a dangerous team. It's normal for people to consider him powerful, he used to be an offensive player (the blocker of the two) some years ago. Especially successful with Harley Marques who was a defender. Even with Evandro they sometimes change positions and I won't think of them as that boring ;) What they lack is consistency in key moments, for this was usually the cause for the multiple lost finals. They have good results and often appear in the last rounds of most events otherwise. Their other problem is "waking up" earlier in competitions, they normally lose a game or two in the group stage. Which gives them a match more to play but they have often managed it just fine.

Losiak-Kantor are a very decent team indeed and together with the young Brazilians Saymon-Guto are the surprise packages of the season so far. Losiak-Kantor are not that new to the World Tour and this is why they are the most improved team. They have grown a bit smarter than in junior/youth championships where they used to dominate and have now started to appear more frequently in latter stages of senior events. They showed a great variety of attacks and skills in Rio and would be fun to watch. Maybe they can even gather enough points to make it to the Games.

• Vitoria Open, Brazil

15 - 20 March

Semifinals:

Alison-Bruno (BRA) - Ranghieri-Carambula (ITA) 2-0 (21-17, 23-21)
    Nicolai-Lupo (ITA) - Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) 2-1 (21-18, 15-21, 15-13)

Bronze medal match:

Ranghieri-Carambula (ITA) - Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) 0-2 (18-21, 15-21)

Final:

Alison-Bruno (BRA) - Nicolai-Lupo (ITA) 2-0 (21-13, 21-18 )

• Doha Open, Qatar

4 - 8 April

Semifinals:

Huber-Seidl (AUT) win on forfeit against Böckermann-Flüggen due to Flüggen's injury
    Losiak-Kantor (POL) - Ranghieri-Carambula (ITA) 0-2 (25-27, 14-21)

Bronze medal match:

Losiak-Kantor (POL) win on forfeit

Final:

Huber-Seidl (AUT) - Ranghieri-Carambula (ITA) 0-2 (17-21, 19-21)