CEV European Championship 2016 | Biel/Bienne, Switzerland

• Congrats for Nicolai-Lupo's victory in the European championship :cup:
    I hope they can keep up their good shape also in Rio, I think they can do good things there!

• Congrats for Nicolai-Lupo's victory in the European championship :cup:
    I hope they can keep up their good shape also in Rio, I think they can do good things there!

I moved your post here, I hope you don't mind. I am a bit too late but wanted to create a special thread for the ECH. I will update the page later.

Second European title for Nicolai-Lupo, the first one at home in Cagliari in 2014.

• Yes! Great! I didn't know where to post it, as it wasn't an FIVB tournament. :drink:

Do you know something more about Semenov-Krasilnikov? They looked very young and promising and very similar to Nicolai-Lupo for the game and from a physical point of view..

• Yes! Great! I didn't know where to post it, as it wasn't an FIVB tournament. :drink:

Do you know something more about Semenov-Krasilnikov? They looked very young and promising and very similar to Nicolai-Lupo for the game and from a physical point of view..

Hmm, that's actually quite true now that you think about it. I haven't thought from that perspective. There are, of course, differences between the two teams, too. Nicolai-Lupo are, to me at least, a team that is more likely to finish higher at the end of a tournament and are more consistent in key matches than the Russians. There is also a medals table to prove that. Nicolai-Lupo are also a bit more technical than Semenov-Krasilnikov. Konstantin Semenov is very dominant at the net, just like Paolo Nicolai, but the Italian is perhaps a bit smarter. Krasilnikov and Lupo are both great and athletic defenders and often make the difference for the two teams. So where the Italians might slightly prevail is the comparison between the offensive counterparts.

• Hmm, that's actually quite true now that you think about it. I haven't thought from that perspective. There are, of course, differences between the two teams, too. Nicolai-Lupo are, to me at least, a team that is more likely to finish higher at the end of a tournament and are more consistent in key matches than the Russians. There is also a medals table to prove that. Nicolai-Lupo are also a bit more technical than Semenov-Krasilnikov. Konstantin Semenov is very dominant at the net, just like Paolo Nicolai, but the Italian is perhaps a bit smarter. Krasilnikov and Lupo are both great and athletic defenders and often make the difference for the two teams. So where the Italians might slightly prevail is the comparison between the offensive counterparts.

Thanks for the comparison! I agree, Nicolai is smarter both in block and in attack, also his serve is quite efficent too.. Hoe do you see them in Rio? :D

• Thanks for the comparison! I agree, Nicolai is smarter both in block and in attack, also his serve is quite efficent too.. Hoe do you see them in Rio? :D

As potential medal candidates. They have been relatively consistent lately and I see no logical reason why they shouldn't enjoy a nice tournament in Rio. My prediction would be a quarterfinal position for them, a place in top 8 so to say, but don't quote me on that :D

• Quarterfinals:

Samoilovs-Smedins (LAT) - Semenov-Krasilnikov (RUS) 1-2 (17-21, 21-19, 12-15)
    Fijalek-Prudel (POL) - Ingrosso-Ingrosso (ITA) 2-1 (21-19, 19-21, 20-18 )
    Herrera-Gavira (ESP) - Nicolai-Lupo (ITA) 1-2 (21-23, 23-21, 12-15)
    Nummerdor-Varenhorst (NED) - Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) 1-2 (21-18, 19-21, 12-15)

Semifinals:

Semenov-Krasilnikov (RUS) - Fijalek-Prudel (POL) 2-0 (21-17, 21-17)
    Nicolai-Lupo (ITA) - Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) 2-1 (12-21, 21-16, 15-10)

Bronze medal match:

Fijalek-Prudel (POL) - Brouwer-Meeuwsen (NED) 2-0 (21-17, 21-19)

Final:

Semenov-Krasilnikov (RUS) - Nicolai-Lupo (ITA) 1-2 (15-21, 21-13, 12-15)

• Nicolai-Lupo brought the second Italian title in history, whereas Semenov-Krasilnikov achieved Russia's best-ever finish at European Championships (silver).

• YavorD

Changed the title of the thread from “CEV European Championship 2016” to “CEV European Championship 2016 | Biel/Bienne, Switzerland”.