FIVB World Championship 2017 | Vienna, Austria

• Vienna, Austria, will host the 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championship. It will be the second planetary event in Austria after Klagenfurt hosted the World Championship in 2001.

Ezr8YKPwTl8

• Men’s Pools - 2017 FIVB World Championship

Pool A (WCH seed, Team, Country)
    1, Álvaro Filho/Saymon, BRA
    24, Gonzalez/Nivaldo, CUB
    25, Kunert/Dressler, AUT
    48, Williams/Phillip, TTO

Pool B
    2, Smedins/Samoilovs, LAT
    23, Jefferson/Cherif, QAT
    26, Böckermann/Flüggen, GER
    47, Charly/Golindano, VEN

Pool C
    3, Dalhausser/Lucena, USA
    22, Doherty/Hyden, USA
    27, Prudel/Kujawiak, POL
    46, Leonardo/Garcia L., GUA

Pool D
    4, Evandro/Andre, BRA
    21, Virgen/Ontiveros, MEX
    28, Quesada/Piña, CUB
    45, Varenhorst/Van Garderen, NED

Pool E
    5, Alison/Bruno Schmidt, BRA
    20, Grimalt E./Grimalt M., CHI
    29, Plavins/Regza, LAT
    44, Nguvo/Tovela, MOZ

Pool F
    6, Krasilnikov/Liamin, RUS
    19, Koekelkoren/van Walle, BEL
    30, Tocs/Finsters, LAT
    43, Abicha/Elgraoui, MAR

Pool G
    7, Losiak/Kantor, POL
    18, Gibb/Crabb Ta., USA
    31, Capogrosso/Azaad, ARG
    42, Goyo/Roger, PAR

Pool H
    8, Pedro Solberg/Guto, BRA
    17, Brunner/Patterson, USA
    32, Seidl Rob./Winter, AUT
    41, Naidoo/Williams, RSA

Pool I
    9, Herrera/Gavira, ESP
    16, Pedlow/Schachter, CAN
    33, Candra/Ashfiya, INA
    40, To be determined, AUT

Pool J
    10, Brouwer/Meeuwsen, NED
    15, Fijalek/Bryl, POL
    34, Ranghieri/Carambula, ITA
    39, Vieyto/Cairus, URU

Pool K
    11, Nicolai/Lupo, ITA
    14, Stoyanovskiy/Yarzutkin, RUS
    35, McHugh/Schumann, AUS
    38, Lombi/Kamara, SLE

Pool L
    12, Doppler/Horst, AUT
    13, Saxton/Schalk, CAN
    36, Raoufi R./Salemi B., IRI
    37, Vandenburg/Nusbaum, CAN

• I couldn't follow the qualification process entirely, to be honest, there are some absolutely unknown players from "exotic" countries that will participate in Vienna. Most of the world's best teams made it to the event in the Netherlands 2 years ago, we even had balanced groups of 4 pairs. In 2017, this will hardly be the case. Pools D and L eventually should be slightly more entertaining, the fun will most probably start from the second round otherwise.

• Hi, it's only me or the live streaming on the swatch website it's only for the central court and not for the others? :(
    Do you have any link for Lupo-Nicolai match? Thanks!

• Hi, it's only me or the live streaming on the swatch website it's only for the central court and not for the others? :(
    Do you have any link for Lupo-Nicolai match? Thanks!

Sorry for the late response! I guess there are not too many users active in this thread and following the event in general :D I don't have other sources to watch the matches, unfortunately. Only what the live stream provides :( Not too many games are available on their YouTube channel either, some are even blocked for certain regions (that should be fixable, though). Sportdeutschland, which helped a lot during the previous WCH, also shows nothing :( I guess they will stream more during the play-offs, the pool phase has been rightfully expected not to be that interesting. Let's see.

• Sorry for the late response! I guess there are not too many users active in this thread and following the event in general :D I don't have other sources to watch the matches, unfortunately. Only what the live stream provides :( Not too many games are available on their YouTube channel either, some are even blocked for certain regions (that should be fixable, though). Sportdeutschland, which helped a lot during the previous WCH, also shows nothing :( I guess they will stream more during the play-offs, the pool phase has been rightfully expected not to be that interesting. Let's see.

https://www.beachvienna.com/en/media/mediathek

I have nothing to complain tbh.

Under the above link (registration required) i have access to all matches, whether live or as replay. There could be geo blocking for some countries, but from Germany it works perfectly so far.

• https://www.beachvienna.com/en/media/mediathek

I have nothing to complain tbh.

Under the above link (registration required) i have access to all matches, whether live or as replay. There could be geo blocking for some countries, but from Germany it works perfectly so far.

I am so off these days that I totally missed this section of the website :aww: Thank you very much!

• Thanks for the answers, guys!

At the end switching the quality of the videos from HD to REGULAR also the stream of the second court started working (before it was only black so I thought there wasn't any transmission).

Obviously only the central court has comments and (I think) replies, though.

• Bruno/Allison out against Saxton/Schalk (CAN) :white:

Could not watch, as apparantly the centre court stream was already geo-blocked for the match of german ladies afterwards. But of course they will start their stream only with the ladies match. :aww: :wall:

EDIT
    Looks like they have "technical issues" with the centre court stream. Sp probably no geo-blocking involved.

• Bruno/Allison out against Saxton/Schalk (CAN)

Olympic Champions and Vice Champions both out very early (Lupo-Nicolai even earlier than Allison/Bruno!), and both 'thanks' to Canadians... (different teams, though).

I'm mourning for my beloved Nicolai-Lupo ;( I was a bit sad for Raghieri-Carambula but I hadn't many exception in them since this year they're quite off imho, but I was hoping so badly for a medal for Daniele and Paolo :(

• you can add also Bronze Medalist Brouwer/Meeuwesen, they lost in the round of 32.

A lot of upsets in the women`s as well, Agata/Duda, Larissa/Talita, Pavan/Mellissa are all out.

But keep in mind the World Championship is played every 2 years, and the one played in the year before the Olympic is considered more important as all teams are ready and looking ahead for the Olympics, and it is usually a preview of the Olympics. The one played AFTER the Olympics is a little less important once teams are not "ready" to play their "best" yet, and a lot of new teams and etc.

Olympic Champions and Vice Champions both out very early (Lupo-Nicolai even earlier than Allison/Bruno!), and both 'thanks' to Canadians... (different teams, though).

I'm mourning for my beloved Nicolai-Lupo ;( I was a bit sad for Raghieri-Carambula but I hadn't many exception in them since this year they're quite off imho, but I was hoping so badly for a medal for Daniele and Paolo :(

• The one played AFTER the Olympics is a little less important once teams are not "ready" to play their "best" yet, and a lot of new teams and etc.

Well, I think the opposite. If there are lots of new teams and if they are no at their best, the old teams that are playing together for years, including OGs and most of the world beach tour tournaments, should be the best...and that's not what we are seeing especially for Brazilian teams

• Next surprise: Herrera/Gavira just lost to Varenhorst/van Garderen who have previously struggled a lot on tour this year.

Can't wait for the old farts Doppler/Horst (AUT) trying to reach the semis. Athmosphere should be cracking in Vienna :super:

I'm mourning for my beloved Nicolai-Lupo ;( I was a bit sad for Raghieri-Carambula but I hadn't many exception in them since this year they're quite off imho, but I was hoping so badly for a medal for Daniele and Paolo

Yes i hate to say it, but it seems Adrian has lost his mojo a bit. I like him for many reasons but probably Ranghieri should move on to a more solid kind of player. He is such a great athlete and blocker and with a better side-out player at his side he should be ready for bigger goals....

Well, I think the opposite. If there are lots of new teams and if they are no at their best, the old teams that are playing together for years, including OGs and most of the world beach tour tournaments, should be the best...and that's not what we are seeing especially for Brazilian teams

Imo, Its well possible that the established teams might have lacked a bit of urgency in preparation for this season after olympics. Considering the general high level on the men's side, those lacking "small things" then can make the difference in a single match against highly motivated teams, eager to prove themselves.

• But keep in mind the World Championship is played every 2 years, and the one played in the year before the Olympic is considered more important as all teams are ready and looking ahead for the Olympics, and it is usually a preview of the Olympics. The one played AFTER the Olympics is a little less important once teams are not "ready" to play their "best" yet, and a lot of new teams and etc.

I assure you that Nicolai-Lupo went to the WCCh with the idea of trying to win or at least get a medal...

Yes i hate to say it, but it seems Adrian has lost his mojo a bit. I like him for many reasons but probably Ranghieri should move on to a more solid kind of player. He is such a great athlete and blocker and with a better side-out player at his side he should be ready for bigger goals....

I agree with you – except about Adrian whom I'm not very found of, probably because I don't 'feel' him italian – but at the moment I don't see many players able to play in defense at that level...

• Of course they went there to win GOLD< same goes for every team, I`m not saying they don`t care if they win or not.

What I`m saying is, can you imagine if this year in the indoors we had the World Championship already, right after the Olympics, do you think teams would be ready for it both mentally and physically?? Of course not, they need a break, and that`s why we have the Champions Cup that does not even gives points for the ranking.

And just like in the indoors, all these beach players had a long season on the World Tour and their National Tour. ( and that is where they make their $$$).

I assure you that Nicolai-Lupo went to the WCCh with the idea of trying to win or at least get a medal...

I agree with you – except about Adrian whom I'm not very found of, probably because I don't 'feel' him italian – but at the moment I don't see many players able to play in defense at that level...

• What I`m saying is, can you imagine if this year in the indoors we had the World Championship already, right after the Olympics, do you think teams would be ready for it both mentally and physically?? Of course not, they need a break, and that`s why we have the Champions Cup that does not even gives points for the ranking.

I wouldn't compare volleyball and beach in this department: in volleyball the post-Olympics year is often an year of renewal, someone retires, someone starts to play with the NT, someone needs to rest... In Beach volleyball there are new couples but the old couples that hasn't change nothing have all the reason to keep rocking if they can.
    Obviously the OG is the main dream of every player so it's still a different year than the one before, but Nicolai-Lupo are still Nicolai-Lupo, even with the same coach. While for example both male and female volleyball Italian teams changed a lot.
    And there are many volleyball NT teams that didn't partecipate to WL/GP with the aim to win: or better, the called players did probably everything in their power to win, but there were many key players let to rest at home.

• Defending World and Olympic champions Allison/Bruno failed to even reach the quaterfinals, but Brazil still ended at the Top of the podium with Evandro and Andre.
    Andre Loyola became the youngest world champ. at age of 22.

Austria had 20-17 in the first set but Evandro scored 3 aces and tied at 20-20.

Brazil has 7 GOLD now. ARG,NED,USA,GER 1 each.

Austria won their first medal ever with Doppler/Horst, Russia won Bronze with Krasilnikov/Liamin.

• Austria had 20-17 in the first set but Evandro scored 3 aces and tied at 20-20.

Just watched it and: 8o :white: :lol: :obey:
    I will probably never become a fan of seeing the 2,10 guy playing defence, partly even on Andre's serve, but that was just amazing. Poor Ösis, they had so many chances...... But massive credits to them, they have probably played the tournament of their lives and after a little rest they hopefully won't feel bitter about that silver.

A lot of excitement in this tournament, even it may not have been the very best when it comes to the sports. But i felt truly well entertained. Great organization, attendance and broadcasting too. The austrians really know how to put on a show. Without austrian organizers and sponsors the tour and the sport would really be in big trouble. I just hope they will maintain that good work and that other organizers/sponsors fell animated :super: