2010 FIVB World Club Championships

• Fourteen teams ready to vie for glory in Doha

With the General Technical Meeting organized in the splendid scenario of the Ramada Plaza having set the tone for the stellar competition which is coming up in the next few days, we may recall the illustrious “alea iacta est” pronounced by Caesar to state that finally everything is ready for the start of the 2010 FIVB Club World Championships here in the State of Qatar.

Doha, and namely the “Al-Gharafa” sports hall, will be the venue of this world-class tournament starring representatives from all continents embarking on their quest for the crown that was retained last year by Italy’s Trentino BetClic. On the other hand, this is a very special moment for the international Volleyball family as well because the women’s competition is being re-installed after a 16-year-long break and six teams will vie for international supremacy here in Doha.

Mr. Aleksandar Boricic, FIVB Executive Vice President and President of the Control Committee, chaired the Technical Meeting that was attended by all 14 participating teams even though some – namely those from Europe - had only a few delegates on site as they are still descending on Qatar after completing their last games for the 2011 CEV Champions League. A very warm address was also given by the President of the Qatar Volleyball Association, Mr. Khalid Ali Al-Mawlawi, who re-asserted the intention of the local organizers to turn this Championship into a splendid and first class Volleyball festival.

Right after the Technical Meeting, a press conference was staged at the Ramada Plaza Hotel with all coaches being invited to express their feelings and expectations before they start their journey and quest for glory.

“We have been devoting a lot of attention to the preparation of this competition," Adel Mohmed, the Algerian-born mentor of Al-Arabi Doha, said. "We play at home and we feel the responsibility to display a good performance for our fans. Most of my players competed at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, but after they came back from China we started our training and we have been working very hard for the past 15 days."

The Qataris will join a preliminary Pool starring also Al-Ahly from Egypt, Iran’s Paykan and Poland’s star-studded team PGE Skra Belchatow. The Egyptians are playing at the tournament for the first time after Zamalek – another Egyptian club – had represented Africa in Doha last year. Coach Ibrahim Fakhreldin did not hide his pride for being part of this elite family but also recalled the long and much decorated history of his club, whose roster includes also Australian Shane Alexander.

Jacek Nawrocki, the mentor of PGE Skra, traveled to Doha after his side stamped an impressive series of wins both in the 2011 CEV Champions League as well as in the national league. However, this is not any guarantee for success here, he says

“I really want my players to forget what they have done so far because this is a completely different tournament and story," the coach stated. "Last year we finished second and certainly our ambition is to make it once again to the final game." The Poles will play their first game on Thursday against Paykan, a young Iranian side that is making its second appearance in a row at the Club World Championships.

The other Pool will feature two real powerhouses in defending champion Trentino BetClic of Italy and Dinamo Moscow of Russia. Both teams are still on their way to Doha after they secured a couple of wins in their last European games but the general manager for the Italian club, waiting for his team to show up, said he would love to enjoy a tournament similar to last year, and to possibly conclude with the crown being retained by his side.

Drean Bolivar of Argentina is representing South America in this competition and coach Javier Weber was more than happy to be here with his young team.

“We are honored to be part of this competition," he said on Tueday. "I have a young team but most of my players are included in the Argentinean national team whose progresses have been evident in the past few years, so we are here to test our ambitions and go for a good campaign."

The starting field is completed by USA's Paul Mitchell, whose coach Gary Sato praised the decision of NORCECA to choose his side to represent that area here in Doha. “We are extremely pleased to be here, my team is young but nevertheless we’ll be giving our best on court," he said.

With the women’s competition being re-installed after 16 years, six teams will compete for the crown in Doha. Italy’s Foppapedretti Bergamo and Turkey’s Fenerbahce Istanbul certainly want to have a shot at the trophy after they dominated the last edition of the CEV Champions League. However, Brazil’s Sollys Osasco will be a very tough opponent to contend with as the club arrives with some of the most accomplished Brazilian stars, such as Jaqueline or Natalia.

Three more teams representing Asia, Africa and NORCECA will also test their value here in Doha. Kenya Prisons’ coach David Lungaho said his side is very young, but “we’ll try to learn as much as possible from this experience and any set won will be a bonus."

Thailand’s Federbrau is also more than delighted to be part of this family and the feeling was echoed by coach of the Dominican Republic's Mirador, Marcos Kwiek, who said: “It is a real honor to be here and compete at the Club World Championships after 16 years have passed since the last edition. We’ll do our best to represent our Confederation here."

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Mirador claims opening game in Doha
    Dominican Mirador claimed the opening match of the 2010 FIVB Club World Championships at the “Al-Gharafa” sports hall in Doha by edging out Kenya Prisons in straight sets (25-20, 25-11, 25-17). That was a key victory for the Caribbeans as the outcome of this game is most probably likely to determine the second team making to the semis from Pool B taking into consideration that Italy’s Foppapedretti Bergamo stands out as the absolute pre-favorite going into the prelims. Bet scorer was Annerys Vargas Valdez with 14 points but a relevant contribution to the success of the Dominicans descended also from the massive haul of African mistakes (22).

After a very long hiatus, some 16 years since the last edition held in São Paulo, a total of 6 teams were finally back on court to compete for the Club World Championship and the honor to officially open the tournament went to Dominican Mirador and Kenya Prisons, i.e. the two sides that have the responsibility to represent and carry the hopes of NORCECA and Africa respectively here in Doha.

Their common pattern is a very young roster, with the average standing at 23 years, and a pretty limited international experience, although quite a few of the Africans did recently compete at the FIVB World Championship for the Kenyan national team. In front of an audience composed mainly by school pupils, the match started at a pretty low pace with many silly errors moving up the score. Mirador, nevertheless, was a little bit more consistent and got a first positive break (12:8) after a winning serve of Candida Arias Perez. As they already did at the World Champs in Japan, the Kenyans were loudly celebrating every single point they scored and with the Dominican reception faltering a few times, they eventually cruised past in the score and set the pace by the second mandatory stop (16:13) with an ace of Diana Khisa. The last word had yet to be said in the opening set, Mirador leveled the match at 18 and then – with a couple of tricky serves the Kenyan reception could not handle properly – got back the lead at 21:19. Ana Yorkira Binet called for two set balls at 24:20 after two more winning serves and she eventually stretched her positive performance by adding up another ace to her personal count to silver her first chance to close the set.

With Italy’s Norda Foppapedretti BERGAMO being the absolute pre-favorite of this Pool, the game was mostly going to determine the side that will be qualifying for the semis coming up on Monday, so both teams resumed to the court very focused, trying to raise up their efficiency, especially in reception. Mirador succeeded pretty well in that task especially by putting under pressure – from the serving zone - the Kenyan receivers, who were once again the main and most evident weakness of the African side (8:2). The Dominicans kept on scoring (15:6) and did not slow down their pace until the final 25-11 quickly appeared on the scoreboard with a great help stemming from the never ending flurry of Kenyan mistakes.

The Dominicans were playing this morning in front of a couple of illustrious guests, i.e. their Ambassador to Qatar as well as NORCECA President Cristobal Marte Hoffiz, and they certainly did not disappoint their expectations as they always controlled the game also in set nr 3. Even though Kenya Prisons almost leveled the count right before the second technical break, Mirador stayed focused enough to stretch the margin to a safe 20:16; best scorer Annerys Vargas Valdez spiked from the wing and the match was over with her winning jump serve for the final 3:0.

"We are always there to go for victory" says Dominican coach Marcos Kwiek

Daniel Lungaho, Kenya Prisons coach, said: “Everything we learn here is good for us, especially as this is the first time that we compete at such high level as a club. Our reception was a bit too weak today and could finalize our combinations I attack but we fully profit and enjoy being here and learn from the best Volleyball players in the world”.

Captain Brackcides Khadambi: “It was a good game although we lost. We hope to play even better in the next game against Bergamo”.

Marcos Kwiek, the mentor of Mirador, stated: “Although we won, that was not an excellent game, technically speaking. We also made too many errors and we have a very short time to make all necessary adjustments before we play the Italians”. Questioned about his ambitions for the competition, he added: “Every time we enter a tournament, Mirador is always there to go for a victory. We came here with that goal, for sure. Today we had some problems as we are still suffering from the jet lag and we are not used to play at 10 in the morning”. About his Kenyan opponent: “You really see that the girls are fighting for every single point and they play with much joy and that’s nice. If they continue working hard for the next 3 or 4 years, I am sure they will get to a different level and will be able to compete with the best teams in the world”.

Captain Milagros Cabral de la Cruz concluded: “We are happy with this win, our attack and block worked very well but we have to adjust a bit our reception. We are very much looking forward to the game against the Italians”.

"Lo sbaglio più grande e quello di credere di aver vinto prima ancora di giocare la partita"

• Paulo, in Brasil Bandsport will broadcast! but they didnt give the schedule yet, their site is the worse. :S

Thanks Joana, I find some informs about Bandsports schedule here: Mundial De Clubes Fivb

Well, today we have Fernebache x Osasco (live on bandspsorts, at 12:00)
    http://www.sky.com.br/GuiaDaTV…ult.aspx?__qsFicha=589959

CAZÁ, CAZÁ, CAZÁ, A TURMA MESMO BOA, É MESMO DA FUZACÁ, SPORT ! SPORT! SPORT !!!!! :cup:

• Thanks... Great to know at least we can watch it online. I just checked brazilian channel SporTV and I am surprised they won't show a single game.

Vblover... watch on Bandsports, today we have a game, at 12:00

CAZÁ, CAZÁ, CAZÁ, A TURMA MESMO BOA, É MESMO DA FUZACÁ, SPORT ! SPORT! SPORT !!!!! :cup:

• But Wilavan Apinyapong doesn't play for Evergrande?????why now she plays in Federbrau in WCC??? :what:

• actually, it would have been better, when fivb gives tze tournament to a country where many spectators can watch the match, the best chioce would be an european country !!!!

• what a pity!!! Federbrau was down 19-24.....now 24-24....but lose set 24-26 :(

• Solly Osasco win 30-28 the third set and 3-0 the match....but good match for Federbrau :)

• But Wilavan Apinyapong doesn't play for Evergrande?????why now she plays in Federbrau in WCC??? :what:

as far as i know, Federbrau is the sponsor of Thailand national team, it's not a professional club, it's Thailand national team !

• Mirador is also Dominic Rep. NT :lol:

2010/2011 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Turkish Cup Winner :cup:
    2011/2012 Eczacıbaşı VitrA - Super Cup Winner :cup:

• Mirador is also Dominic Rep. NT :lol:

Yes, minus Eve and Rivera, it seems... The kenyan team is also Kenya's NT. I don't really see the point: wasn't this tournament supposed to be about clubs? You got 3 of the best clubs in the world and then a bunch of medium or weak NT's.

• I don't like this ideia of inviting teams that are not real teams. I think this Championship should be an incentive to countries that have league. If Mirador is not a club i don't think they should be there. I prefer to watch a bad team from Puerto Rico than Dominican NT.

Why don't they invited teams from Japan or Korea?? At least they have a good league. Ferdebrau doesn't add anything in this competition.

• Yes, minus Eve and Rivera, it seems... The kenyan team is also Kenya's NT. I don't really see the point: wasn't this tournament supposed to be about clubs? You got 3 of the best clubs in the world and then a bunch of medium or weak NT's.

speak what you know please don't go peddling false rumors about national teams you barely know about,prisons has players in the Kenya NT but they aren't the Kenya NT there are players there who aren't in the NT actually over 50%of the prisons team is not in the Kenya N.t

• Hey volleyball lovers

Funny moments with the Yellow Angels :lol:

Seda looks good :lol:

Hurra ! This time for eat ! :dance6:

Kasia looks funny and she likes lolilop, she constantly eats lollipop :lol:

• speak what you know please don't go peddling false rumors about national teams you barely know about,prisons has players in the Kenya NT but they aren't the Kenya NT there are players there who aren't in the NT actually over 50%of the prisons team is not in the Kenya N.t

Ok, you can chill out!
    You can believe me if you want: I don't spend my days trying to "peddle false rumors about national teams I barely know". I was actually just looking over the names of the players from the club and I think I mixed up a couple of those, cause they have the same lastnames as players from the NT. Still, 7 players from the club play in the NT. But, really, I don't think that's a big deal, I'm deeply sorry If I insulted you.

• Ok, you can chill out!
    You can believe me if you want: I don't spend my days trying to "peddle false rumors about national teams I barely know". I was actually just looking over the names of the players from the club and I think I mixed up a couple of those, cause they have the same lastnames as players from the NT. Still, 7 players from the club play in the NT. But, really, I don't think that's a big deal, I'm deeply sorry If I insulted you.

Mirador is the most important of Dominican teams, in womens volleyball. So, not for now, it has had most of the NT players... so, it is not a surprise to find out this fact.