2012 Junior Volleyball European Championship - Ankara/Turkey

• Germany won the 2nd and 3rd set 25:16 and 25:12 respectively and are leading in the 4th set 9 to 5 as i´m writing this.

Yep, but they have no chance to get back all the sets they lost and shouldn't have lost.

Today they win 3:1, but in 4th set they again needed 5 match points to finish. Lisa Izquierdo with 25 points and over 50% in attack, Magda Gryka with 4 aces, but Carina Aulenbrock played another bad match :S

• Dilara's disappointing performance make me worry a lot while her youth performance made me so impressed :down: 5 reception mistake in 4 set is too much for a libero X(

I believe that the reason of Aslı and Kübra are playing so well is most probably they already played as starter in their team, respectively Yeşilyurt and Nilüfer Belediye, during whole season (Damla also played in starting 6 of Ted Kolejliler but she got injured in the middle of season) Having match experience at youth and junior level totally makes the difference. For example Ceylan was better than Aslı one year ago but Aslı seemed more improved for the time being :whistle:

By the way I didn't surprised by Poland's win over Italy. Their best players were C. Bosetti, Scacchetti and Perinelli. Two of them are not in the roster and Perinelli is playing as Opp whilst Poland have very promising MBs and OHs. I believe that they will get a medal with any color 8)

• Its funny to think that Caterina could still be playing this tournament if she wanted!!! :what: I mean, she grown so fast in European volleyball...already been in an Olympic Games, I guess she deserves the rest..hehe

But do you guys think she will play the Junior World Championship if Italy plays it?

• Xenia Ilchenko is also trained by Karpol in Uralochka, so with the genes from legendary Irina Smirnova also, she couldnt have better conditions 2 success. She is already complete at this level, very strong in attack, reception and serving.

• of course im not familiar with all Russian names but her first and second name sound different to a Russian:Xenia Ilchenko.Xenia is a common name used in Russia?

Yes it is. It's not the most popular name in Russia but not rare either. Also volleyball Xenias are Bodnar(Naumova) - OH who played even in NT, Peshkina - MB who played for Omichka last year. And surname Ilchenko - you can find a lot of people in Russia with that surname, so that girl's name is not uncommon in any sense.

• Its funny to think that Caterina could still be playing this tournament if she wanted!!! :what: I mean, she grown so fast in European volleyball...already been in an Olympic Games, I guess she deserves the rest..hehe

But do you guys think she will play the Junior World Championship if Italy plays it?

There is almost the same case Bosetti sisters in male volleyball, Uros Kovaceviç who is little brother of Nikola Kovaçeviç. According to some posts in forum he will play in ECh after playing OG :what: So why not Caterina :roll: From my point of view, what is more important the medals gained from youth and junior level is to raise new promising stars and giving them international experience. C. Bosetti has already gained enough experience from several serious tournament such as World Cup, OG. There is nothing she can learn from that junior level tournaments. It was the same situation with Naz. In 2005 she already played as setter of 1988-89 generation's junior tournaments when she was in her youth level and she didn't play in junior WCh of 90-91 generation. Thanks to that Asuman get chance to play and gain international experience Moreover I believe that to having such a high level players in a junior/youth team is very bad for other teammates because they will never get a chance to take responsibility or improve leading skills due to that dominant player in team. We saw it when Naz didn't play in WCh, Turkey get 7th place (even in the absence of many good teams since they refuse the play due avian influenza in Mexico) while they got silver medal in youth level with Naz. The same is happening with Italy, They played youth final at ECh with Caterina but got 10th place without her in WCh :roll:

All in all, I believe that the exceptional players such as Naz, Caterina, Uros and so on shouldn't play at youth/junior level for getting some medals :whistle: Best example for this case is Cuba. They never get a good result at neither youth not junior level (sometimes they didn't even participate). Instead, they let this exceptional player train with senior team in very early age. (Carillo get best server award at 2002 senior WCh when she was 16)

• Yes it is. It's not the most popular name in Russia but not rare either. Also volleyball Xenias are Bodnar(Naumova) - OH who played even in NT, Peshkina - MB who played for Omichka last year. And surname Ilchenko - you can find a lot of people in Russia with that surname, so that girl's name is not uncommon in any sense.

I think Canter is referring 2 that her surname isnt ending with A like the most russian name does hehe, and about her first name Xenia it can also be spelled Ksenia or Kseniia so can be a bit confusing, just like Natalia/Natasha or Daria/Dasha for ex.

• I think Canter is referring 2 that her surname isnt ending with A like the most russian name does hehe, and about her first name Xenia it can also be spelled Ksenia or Kseniia so can be a bit confusing, just like Natalia/Natasha or Daria/Dasha for ex.

For me it's really hard to understand what Canter is referring to, not long ago he stated that Kirillova doesn't have Russian roots and I don't understand what it means. In this junior team we have a girl named Eli Uattara, for example, I don't know who her parents are and for me it doesn't matter. If she was born here, speaks the language, plays for Nt and considers herself as Russian - she's Russian to me. But Canter obviously thinks differently and finds some interest in investigating family trees of Russian players.

• For me it's really hard to understand what Canter is referring to, not long ago he stated that Kirillova doesn't have Russian roots and I don't understand what it means. In this junior team we have a girl named Eli Uattara, for example, I don't know who her parents are and for me it doesn't matter. If she was born here, speaks the language, plays for Nt and considers herself as Russian - she's Russian to me. But Canter obviously thinks differently and finds some interest in investigating family trees of Russian players.

That is it, mate :drink: :thumbsup: If she thinks she is Russian, who can change or judge that. There is no need to search her/his family tree if she is originally Russian/Ukranian or another nation.

• For me it's really hard to understand what Canter is referring to, not long ago he stated that Kirillova doesn't have Russian roots and I don't understand what it means. In this junior team we have a girl named Eli Uattara, for example, I don't know who her parents are and for me it doesn't matter. If she was born here, speaks the language, plays for Nt and considers herself as Russian - she's Russian to me. But Canter obviously thinks differently and finds some interest in investigating family trees of Russian players.

Yeah, I also dont understand the intrest in itself to be honest, but maybe he just wants them 2 be foreigners which in that case means Russia needs 2 bring in players for success :lol:

• A surname like Ilchenko definitely indicates Ukrainian origins, but it doesn't have to mean anything since there are loads of Russians with Ukrainian background who now identify themselves as Russians. Just like there are many Turks with Balkan Slavic, Albanian, Circassian, Crimean Tatar etc. roots. Just like there are many Serbs with Montenegrin or Bosnian background, Croats with Bosnian heritage... It goes for literally almost any nation in the world.

I guess the confusion about Kirillova is due to her married name Parkhomchuk, which is also originally an Ukrainian name.

• [quote='Joana',index.php?page=Thread&postID=182752#post182752]A surname like Ilchenko definitely indicates Ukrainian origins, but it doesn't have to mean anything since there are loads of Russians with Ukrainian background who now identify themselves as Russians. Just like there are many Turks with Balkan Slavic, Albanian, Circassian, Crimean Tatar etc. roots. Just like there are many Serbs with Montenegrin or Bosnian background, Croats with Bosnian heritage... It goes for literally almost any nation in the world.

very well said.

• its not of great importance if a player is born in a country and starts to be trained from the very beginning and get education there and play for that county's NT.its understandable to some extent,but some countries like Ukraine have to keep some talented players for their NT if those player had played for them once in time .(such as Goncharova maybe Mammadova or Musersky(i dont know where the last two were born and trained)

On Krillova, what i read before misled me into thinking she was ukrainan.

• but some countries like Ukraine have to keep some talented players for their NT if those player had played for them once in time .(such as Goncharova maybe Mammadova or Musersky(i dont know where the last two were born and trained)

You´re right about Ukraine, and it´s a shame they have a federation that isnt intrested/able to create a strong NT. They could have played a starting line-up with Irina Zhukova, Natasha Mammadova, Natasha Goncharova, Maryna Marchenko, Valeria Goncharova, Yevgeniya Dushkyevich in that case, which obviously would have been a strong contender in major championships. Also the legendary MB from Russia NT, Elizaveta Titschenko was originally from Ukraine. It´s fascinating for me how a country like that, who never reach any success at senior level, still keeps producing world class players. But im not sure its only about good training, Ukraine is famous for having many almost gigantic people (like for ex. the Klitschko brothers, Muserskiy, Goncharova).

• A surname like Ilchenko definitely indicates Ukrainian origins, but it doesn't have to mean anything since there are loads of Russians with Ukrainian background who now identify themselves as Russians. Just like there are many Turks with Balkan Slavic, Albanian, Circassian, Crimean Tatar etc. roots. Just like there are many Serbs with Montenegrin or Bosnian background, Croats with Bosnian heritage... It goes for literally almost any nation in the world.

I guess the confusion about Kirillova is due to her married name Parkhomchuk, which is also originally an Ukrainian name.

Balkans nations' background is probably the most complicated in the world. :lol:

• Our girls are having a hard time against France...=( It's tie-break now...I really hope we will win or it's finish for us...This lost point can cost us a lot.
    Edit= we won 3-2 =) So third place in the pool is still possible =)

• any link for Russia v Czech match? tnx