Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• Teams already qualified :
    host -- Brazil
    world cup (22.Aug-6.Sep.2015) -- China
    world cup (22.Aug-6.Sep.2015) -- Serbia
    continental tournament Europe (4-9.Jan.2016 host: Turkey) -- Russia
    continental tournament Norceca (7-9.Jan.2016 host: USA) -- USA
    continental tournament South America (6-10.Jan.2016 host: Argentina) -- Argentina
    continental tournament Africa (12-16.Feb.2016 host: Cameroon) -- Cameroon
    continental tournament Asia (14-22.May.2016 host:Japan) -- Japan
    world tournament (14-22.May.2016 host:Japan) -- Netherlands
    world tournament (14-22.May.2016 host:Japan) -- Italy
    world tournament (14-22.May.2016 host:Japan) -- Korea
    intercontinental tournament (20-22.May.2016 host: Puerto Rico) -- Puerto Rico

This post/thread is to collect all information and results of qualification process to Olympic Games 2016.

http://www.fivb.org/viewPressR….asp?No=37309&Language=en

• I don't understand.

-Brazil is going to be definetly continental champion, 2nd place will go to OG?
    -In the first image say: 5 continental champions, and in the next image say "2nd and 3rd place of CONTINENTAL OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENT. This tournament is the same as continental championship?
    -Why in women interconental OQT will not participate teams from Europe? Not fair!
    and two teams from Africa? sure?

• In the second picture,
    Why AVC could have 3 spots while other confederations only have 1 or 2 spots?

There is no spesific slot for AVC. It says any best 3 teams in the world ranking ;)

• You are reading this wrong. On the 2nd page, this would be the Asian qualification round.

Japan (as host), China, South Korea and Thailand are the 4 teams to play for Asia. But they are playing against Cuba or Dominican Republic from NORCECA. CSV would probably be Peru, if not Argentina. CEV at this point could be Italy, Germany or Turkey or Serbia.

If the Asian teams are good enough they will finish in the top 3. I think that depending on the European teams, 1 or 2 teams going to Brazil would be from Asia.

In the last slide, I would think that Cuba or Dominican Republic or Canada would easily win that tournament for the final slot.

• I like the system. There is a possibility that even 5 team from Europe will go to Rio (if two of them will advance from World Cup).

If I'm not mistaken 2015 European Champiosnhips will be Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament for Europe. If so, indeed world ranking plays no role for European teams. 2015 European Championships will be a key competition. :box:

• This is a ridiculous and unfair format. FIVB wants weak team in tournament with Intercontental Qualification tournament, but it is VERY unfair. 3rd place NORCECA team is almost assured of a spot, while 2nd place will have almost no chance. This will lead to interesting results at NORCECA tournament, you will see teams trying to lose to avoid 2nd place and trying to get 3rd.

Edit: Also, there is continued favoritism of Asia, as they get their continental tournament at same time as world qualifier. Why are so many people cheering this?

• Well, IMHO it should be 16 teams for olympic tournament and latest qualification tournament will promote weaker teams definitely, while European teams will have less chances :whistle:

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

• I don't understand.

-Brazil is going to be definetly continental champion, 2nd place will go to OG?
    -In the first image say: 5 continental champions, and in the next image say "2nd and 3rd place of CONTINENTAL OLYMPIC QUALIFICATION TOURNAMENT. This tournament is the same as continental championship?
    -Why in women interconental OQT will not participate teams from Europe? Not fair!
    and two teams from Africa? sure?

Brazil wont play the continental tournment. They dont need to play it. Remember, they are already hosts.
    Then, the asian teams have many chances to qualify. First it is written that 5 Continental Championships will be played. 5 means (CSV, Norceca, CEV, AVC and CAVB). Asia already has a qualifier. So OQT in Japan isnt the asian OQT, right?

Finally, the new system is very tricky. For Norceca and CSV, it is much better finish 3rd than 2nd.

• Maybe FIVB is trying to limit the number of teams from Europe and give more chances to teams from Norceca/South America/Africa.

As somebody stated, in the best case scenario, Europe will have a maximum of 5 teams in Rio (one from continental qualification, 2 from World Cup, and 2 from World qualification tournament).

One question: Will Brazil be allowed to play the World Cup next year..... at the end of the day, this has become an Olympic qualification tournament and Brazil being the host of Olympics 2016 wouldn't need to participate. On the other hand, this tournament awards ranking points, so, I'm not sure what is the rationale here.

The world qualification tournament hasn't changed too much from previous editions: still a total of 8 teams (4 from Asia, 2 from Europe, 1 from Norceca) the changes that I can see are: 1. teams going to this tournament from Europe, south America and Norceca are based on their continental tournament (the previous edition stated the best ranked teams from each confederation), and 2.South America is guaranteed a place in this tournament as opposed to the best ranked team between South America/Africa.

And the big change is that Norceca/South America/ Africa is given a great chance for the last spot. So it is clear that the spot the World Cup gave away (from 3 in past editions to 2) is directly going to one of these confederations.

Question is: to participate in this last tournament, is it 3rd and 4th places from the continental qualification, or 3rd and 4th places from the FIVB rankings? :read:

• If I'm not mistaken 2015 European Champiosnhips will be Continental Olympic Qualification Tournament for Europe.:

If European Champs will be qualification for Olympics, than which countries will go to World Cup? I think there will be (as like always) Qualification Tournament, but it's only my guess.

• If European Champs will be qualification for Olympics, than which countries will go to World Cup? I think there will be (as like always) Qualification Tournament, but it's only my guess.

World Cup 2015 will be before 2015 European Championship. In the World Cup will play 2 best ranked teams from each continent + host (Japan) and World Champion 2014.

Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - Olympic Games 2012
    Gold Medal - Prediction Game - Men's - European Championship 2015
    Silver Medal
    - Prediction Game - Women's - Olympic Games 2012

がんばれ 日本!

• But this is stupid way to do it if they want to give more chances to "weak" continents. Just have them play their own qualification tournament (with Europe/Asia having another one) rather than having the WEAK TEAMS from these regions play for a bid, while the better/stronger ones are forced to lose in World OQT.

There is something very wrong with this format!

• Brazil wont play the continental tournment. They dont need to play it. Remember, they are already hosts.
    Then, the asian teams have many chances to qualify. First it is written that 5 Continental Championships will be played. 5 means (CSV, Norceca, CEV, AVC and CAVB). Asia already has a qualifier. So OQT in Japan isnt the asian OQT, right?

Finally, the new system is very tricky. For Norceca and CSV, it is much better finish 3rd than 2nd.

As far as I remember, according to FIVB, Continental champions means CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP (Rusia, USA, Brasil, Tailandia were continental champions last year).
    But, if it is another tournament different of continental championship, then yes, Brasil definetly won't play.That's for sure.

That's why I'm asking.

• As far as I remember, according to FIVB, Continental champions means CONTINENTAL CHAMPIONSHIP (Rusia, USA, Brasil, Tailandia were continental champions last year).
    But, if it is another tournament different of continental championship, then yes, Brasil definetly won't play.That's for sure.

That's why I'm asking.

World Cup and South American Championship are not qualification tournaments which means Brazil must play both of them. However, CSV will send a representative instead of Brazil to the Olympics because Brazil is qualified as host and not like a CSV member.
    Take London. UK joined the competition as host and CEV qualified another team via a qualification tournament. We just have to wait for the regulations to get know about the way CSV will take in order to pick its representative.
    To the World Championship, a confederation could choose between the continental championship or a qualification tournament. I don't know how FIVB will arrange it by now. I guess the qualification system is about to be announced soon because FIVB released the beach qualifying just few days ago. Anyway, CSV will have another team that's not Brazil at the Olympics. :thumbup:

• World Cup and South American Championship are not qualification tournaments which means Brazil must play both of them.

South american championship qualifies to world cup and world cup qualifies to the OGs. So, no, Brazil does not need to play them.

• So many questions why weak teams, unfair etc - please remember qualification to OG so continents must be represented !
    It's not qualification to WCH and only 11 teams will be qualified from all continents (all other nations have to be lucky as such strong team as Brazil is host and automatically qualified).
    New system is much better do you remeber how it was in the past ...