Olympic Games - Brazil 2016 (qualification process)

• actually things went differently and most countries chosen European Games for CEV ranking what didn't help for some teams :whistle:
    current CEV ranking

previous calculation

current calculation before ECH (countries qualified to ECH 2015 got 70 points in this ranking, points from ECH 2011 are deducted):
    1. Russia 306
    2. Serbia 294 - qualified to OG
    2. Turkey 294 - host of QOT (Ankara)
    4. Italy 286
    4. Germany 286
    6. Poland 264
    6. Belgium 264
    8. Netherlands 260
    9. Croatia 252
    - currently qualified to QOT
    ----------------------------------------
    10. Bulgaria 248
    11. Azerbaijan 238
    12. Czech Republic 232

right now we would see in Turkey: Turkey (host), Russia, Italy, Germany, Poland, Belgium, Netherlands and Croatia ^^

as we can see, Croatia has to be 5 places higher to beat Netherlands and 7 to beat both Belgium and Poland (all seem to be highly unlikely) :wavy: Bulgaria needs 2 places more to beat mentioned earlier teams (almsot impossible) and nedds 3 places to beat Croatia

btw. Will be any draw for QOT or teams will be seeded according to key ?(
    possible key can be:
    pool A: Turkey, 3rd, 4th, 7th (though I prefer here 2nd, 5th, 6th...)
    pool B: 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th

Gold medal - World League 2013 Prediction Game
    Bronze medal - World League 2012 Prediction Game

Edited once, last by kondzio ().

• But don't you understand that if it was like that then Japan might not advance? Then Asia teams would have hard time to qualify apart from China.

i don't know what you mean. asia has one slot for the olympics, so why not just do one tournament for asian teams? combining it with the world qual. is silly… why do they have to have asian teams play against other teams? the highest asian team will qualify for the olympics anyway.

• i don't know what you mean. asia has one slot for the olympics, so why not just do one tournament for asian teams? combining it with the world qual. is silly… why do they have to have asian teams play against other teams? the highest asian team will qualify for the olympics anyway.

So basically.... If Asia had separate tournament then only 1 team advances. So if Japan had lost they would have been out of OG. They could play International tournament, but:
    1. it could be outside of Japan
    2. there are 2 strong European teams and e.g. Dominicana, Thailand etc.

But while the tournament is combined they have like 2 chances. They can make TOP3 and advance directly or they may be the 1st Asian team outside TOP3. So they get an additional extra room for error. They can be 2nd, 3rd or 4th Asia team and still advance- that's the case. And additionally Japan is host, we know that outside home they play 50% weaker.

• i agree that JPN plays much better at home; however, remember they are the bronze medalists from london.

i agree that WC and oly. qual. tournament should be hosted by other countries in the future.

i don't agree that JPN would have a hard time if asian qual./world qual. were separate. they are the 2nd best team in asia, and still one of the top 10 in the world, so in a world qual. tournament, they'd still be one of the favorites if they didn't get asian qual. spot.

i can see an advantage for asian teams in having tournaments combined, then they don't have to play another extra tournament.

i realize fivb did the same with the men's qual., so there's going to be a last qual. tourn. with 2 african countries, plus NORCECA # 3, CSV #3. really pathetic.

• I know I asked already but do we have any chance of FIVB "asking" one of the teams of the final qualification tournament to step down and open up a spot for, say, a not qualified Russian team? Someone will definitely get burned with this idiotic qualification system.

• Pools of European Qualifiers for Rio determined!

women’s competition
    Turkey as hosts (Ankara, January 4-9, 2016).

Pool A: Turkey, Germany, Poland, Croatia
    Pool B: Italy, Russia, the Netherlands, Belgium.

• Men's tournament is even more ridiculous

Nah, for me is more balanced. Poland (the strongest team) is in the host's group and Bulgaria is also strong. Here the 3 strongest teams (at the moment) are in the same group, while Turkey has a free pass to semifinal.

• Nah, for me is more balanced. Poland (the strongest team) is in the host's group and Bulgaria is also strong. Here the 3 strongest teams (at the moment) are in the same group, while Turkey has a free pass to semifinal.

Let's be honest, current Bulgaria (as of now), has no chances of winning a single set against either Germany or Poland. The only thing keeping them alive in the rankings is the 4th place in London, which will be gone soon.

• If one European powerhouse (men or women) doesnt qualify to Rio, it wouldn't surprise that, magically ($$$), the 3rd african or 3rd southamerican team will step down because of lack of money.

And, again, magically, FIVB will politely invite the high ranked team or the one which arrived 4th in the EOQT. It has already happened in the past. But of course, first of all FIVB will wait that their teams qualify, then they will think in Europe.

• Let's be honest, current Bulgaria (as of now), has no chances of winning a single set against either Germany or Poland. The only thing keeping them alive in the rankings is the 4th place in London, which will be gone soon.

no man, Bulgaria with a healthy, prepared and fairly complete team (doesn't even need to have Kaziyski) can perfectly match and even beat at least Germany (who aren't as good as you think).

• no man, Bulgaria with a healthy, prepared and fairly complete team (doesn't even need to have Kaziyski) can perfectly match and even beat at least Germany (who aren't as good as you think).

I don't think Germany is a good team at all, the contrary. Their bronze medal at the WCH was nothing but a bad joke. I just think that Bulgaria beating a determined German team at home is not feasible.

• Unfortunately (for Poland), the composition of the groups given above is incorrect. The groups will be determined after the European Championships.

• If one European powerhouse (men or women) doesnt qualify to Rio, it wouldn't surprise that, magically ($$$), the 3rd african or 3rd southamerican team will step down because of lack of money.

And, again, magically, FIVB will politely invite the high ranked team or the one which arrived 4th in the EOQT. It has already happened in the past. But of course, first of all FIVB will wait that their teams qualify, then they will think in Europe.

I don't think money will be a problem for all teams in Americas, cuz the Olympics will be held in Americas.

• I don't think money will be a problem for all teams in Americas, cuz the Olympics will be held in Americas.

Yes, Olympics will be held in Americas, but we still dont know where the Intercontinental Qualifier (where the weakest 4 teams play) will be organized. First of all, those teams should travel($$$) to this last tournment in order to get the last ticket to Rio. Talking about Americas, well, in 2004 the CSV OQT was played in Venezuela, but Colombia (which isjust next to the host) didnt send its team.

This situation has already happened. In the 2012 World Olympic Qualification Tournment, Peru replaced Kenya because the africans withdrew. In 2008, Peru or Kenya should have played a play off, but both teams dropped. Uruguay didnt aply and, finally, the spot went to Puerto Rico. And the last example I remember, Nigeria replaced Argentina in 2004.

That's why I said this could happen again this time. Of course, just if a european powerhouse or a FIVB´s beloved one doesnt qualify. :dance4: